Hard Rubbish/Flea market finds

ldrcycles

Re: Hard Rubbish/Flea market finds

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:46 pm

Close, a samsung mobile phone! Steadily getting worse, time for a replacement.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

elStado

Postby elStado » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:50 am

ldrcycles wrote:Close, a samsung mobile phone! Steadily getting worse, time for a replacement.
One of these, perhaps:
http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/2764 ... eaked.aspx

Anywho, back on topic, keep the pics coming. I never seem to see anything of value at flea markets, it's all very low-end and high priced..
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:20 am

Try a C5220 with water damage from being in my jersey pocket on every ride :) .

elStado

Postby elStado » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:27 pm

ldrcycles wrote:Try a C5220 with water damage from being in my jersey pocket on every ride :) .
No I was suggesting a replacement, the new Galaxy S3 which is coming out soon.

Maybe you need one of these: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Samsung-B271 ... 889wt_1165

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:43 pm

Guys guys guys... if I wanted to hear people wanking on about phones... I'd pay more attention to my work colleagues.

Please, get a room and let this thread get back to bikes! :P
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:32 pm

Okay sure thing :) , checked the date codes and the Olympic 12 is a 1988 model. Stripping the parts off to clean the frame as we speak (well not quite, obviously i've stopped for a second to scan the forum :) ).

LoveMiyata

Postby LoveMiyata » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:23 am

New to BNA but I thought I'll add a find from earlier in the year (My best find yet), It is a collection of finds in its current incarnation but anyway I'll talk you through it. Firstly the frame is a Team Miyata late 80s, originally found with complete 105 group minus rear wheel but I stripped all that, found on verge collection in Perth. The rear wheel is a full carbon pro-lite rim which I laced to an Aksium hub: both verge finds. The Turbo special seat, seatpost, monoplaner break calipers and the front Lambda Strada wheel belong to an 89' chorus group that came off an old Concorde I bought at a garage sale for $80. The Centaur 10sp drivetrain I bought new however. Its a bit of a mix but I took all my favourite parts to build my Sydney bike. It is now being pulled apart again to be rebuilt with a complete Sachs New Success group.

I can't seem to figure out how to attach an image so below is a link
http://www.flickr.com/photos/70972225@N ... otostream/

munga

Postby munga » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:50 am

LoveMiyata wrote:New to BNA but I thought I'll add a find from earlier in the year (My best find yet), It is a collection of finds in its current incarnation but anyway I'll talk you through it. Firstly the frame is a Team Miyata late 80s, originally found with complete 105 group minus rear wheel but I stripped all that, found on verge collection in Perth. The rear wheel is a full carbon pro-lite rim which I laced to an Aksium hub: both verge finds. The Turbo special seat, seatpost, monoplaner break calipers and the front Lambda Strada wheel belong to an 89' chorus group that came off an old Concorde I bought at a garage sale for $80. The Centaur 10sp drivetrain I bought new however. Its a bit of a mix but I took all my favourite parts to build my Sydney bike. It is now being pulled apart again to be rebuilt with a complete Sachs New Success group.

I can't seem to figure out how to attach an image so below is a link
http://www.flickr.com/photos/70972225@N ... otostream/

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:09 am

Nice score on that Miyata! Perth is fast becoming the place to be for quality kerb finds. Last clean up round here I saw ONE bike. And it wasnt even worth stopping to look at.

Jim

LoveMiyata

Postby LoveMiyata » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:51 am

I think one should look at it more in terms of past tense where it used to be the place for great verge finds but people caught on to it so quickly that it is really the quick or the dead! Its become a real business as well which you can see through perths gumtree, but atleast most people who pick up to sell usually don't know what they've got so you can still pick up real bargains! In which case the dirty work (however the fun work :) ) is done for you! I definitly think Perth is much cheaper than Sydney for quality second hand vintage/retro bikes and parts but it's not gonna last. I actually saw a beautiful old colnago fully pantographed with complete record group go for $600 as well as a stunning Ken Evans track bike (Campag cranks and wheels) go for $500. The Evans was up there for quite a while before it sold, I was fortunately/unfortunately saving for Sydney at the time! :D :cry:

elStado

Postby elStado » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:07 pm

LoveMiyata wrote:I think one should look at it more in terms of past tense where it used to be the place for great verge finds but people caught on to it so quickly that it is really the quick or the dead! Its become a real business as well which you can see through perths gumtree, but atleast most people who pick up to sell usually don't know what they've got so you can still pick up real bargains!
+1

Go down to the flea markets. There's heaps of people selling bikes that they have picked up off the verge. They are usually junk and overpriced, but still sell pretty well so there's definitely a market for old bikes and these people do well if they are selling 5-6 bikes for $120-150 each in a morning that they got for free.

Stepr

Postby Stepr » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:27 pm

got this at the local tip shop a while back, hand made by Jim Bundy,
made with Reynolds 531
Cinelli giro d'italia bars
dura ace stem
Campangnolo head set
Gran compe brakes and levers
Kantrade? Italy rims
nice high flange hubs (Sunshine)
Huret friction shifters
7 speed cassette 12-19

Really nice to ride. Hope i can get the links/pics to work...

jim bundy

Just looking at putting some new wheels on it.
Last edited by Stepr on Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:55 pm

Stepr wrote:Really nice to ride. Hope i can get the links/pics to work...
Wow! Nice work!
--

Stuey

Postby Stuey » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:12 pm

I am so jealous of the last few finds! I gotta get out there!

I spat my wine the other day over some funny comment or other on this forum, but ElStado's 'potato' comment above was an absolute classic where I have now spat my beer. My keyboard is a veritable cocktail.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:16 pm

Struck a treasure trove the other day, got a pair of 90s Shogun Metro AT hybrids, 1 blue 1 red, in rather rough condition (didn't bother taking pics).
Also got this Mongoose MTB, Deore LX rear derailleur and Rock Shox Indy C long travel forks (which currently have no travel).

Late 90s Specialized Hardrock, nice Specialized branded cranks, STX RC v brakes and levers and Rock Shox Indy XC long travel forks which are working beautifully. Front and rear derailleurs are Shimano A, i've never heard of that before? Not Acera or Alivio or Deore anything just 'A'.

Could have left this one but it had a sticker on the seat tube proclaiming it as Tange single butted (yea single butted :roll: ) hi tensile tubing. So it's not gas pipe, it's FANCY gas pipe :) . Also has a Suntour 2000 rear derailleur and accushift indexed thumb shifter, and Sakae Custom cranks which i really like the look of, quite similar to the Sugino No. 6 cranks i got off an old Apollo mixte a while back.

On closer inspection though the forks are a very rare 'lateral trail' design....

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:24 pm

Didn't want that post getting too big.

I was very surprised by the next one, frame didn't seem like much and the flat bars didn't inspire me but had a better look and :shock: , excellent condition alloy Ukai rims with lovely high flange Shimano QR hubs, very nice Galli Gran Compe brakes, Shimano 600 arabesque shifters and rear derailleur :shock: , and holy of holies, the top tube cable clamps are old Dura-Ace!

And finally, a warning to those who are easily (or even not so easily) upset, the following is quite distressing.

A 2004 or 5 Cannondale CAAD5. Someone THREW IT AWAY. It has been involved in a crash which has bent the bars and scratched up the rear derailleur a little but nothing wrong with the frame. However, when it was discarded the wheels were not in the frame, which means...

I almost cried when i saw this, what a waste. I tried to fix it, applying pressure with the tenderness of a brain surgeon but still heard a loud crack as the drive side stays snapped at the BB and brake bridge. At least i can strip the parts, which include the immaculate carbon forks, Profile aerobars, Truvativ cranks, Ritchey seat post etc.

And again, sorry for the poor quality pics, i was going to borrow a mate's camera but didn't get the chance, so had to use the potato again :) .

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:01 am

ldrcycles wrote:.... and holy of holies, the top tube cable clamps are old Dura-Ace!
Nice.. but it looks like it's only got 2 out of the set of 3 from the pic! :P Just stirring. :D
--

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:59 am

HappyHumber wrote:
ldrcycles wrote:.... and holy of holies, the top tube cable clamps are old Dura-Ace!
Nice.. but it looks like it's only got 2 out of the set of 3 from the pic! :P Just stirring. :D
LOL, i noticed that too, quite disappointing, i might try and track down the previous owner and demand to know where the 3rd clamp is :) .

mark field

Postby mark field » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:07 pm

on the way home the other night from work, i dont know why, but i had a feeling that i would find a bike, so i drove down a road i have absolutely no reason to go down and sure enough- i found a Raleigh team 12, it has all the worst bits possible but the frame is ok i guess, it has the embosed name but the badge on the front is missing, ill keep the frame,stem and landfill the rest. but it was nice to actually say that I found something. i thought i might paint it in a nice vibrant red and fill in the embossed lettering with gold leaf and maybe put the leftover Shimano light action gear on it or just hang up the frame once painted. its a little small for me so it wont be ridden.

Untitled by markfield_32, on Flickr

steel is the real deal.

spinyeel

Postby spinyeel » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:38 pm

mark field wrote:on the way home the other night from work, i dont know why, but i had a feeling that i would find a bike, so i drove down a road i have absolutely no reason to go down and sure enough- i found a Raleigh team 12, it has all the worst bits possible but the frame is ok i guess, it has the embosed name but the badge on the front is missing, ill keep the frame,stem and landfill the rest. but it was nice to actually say that I found something. i thought i might paint it in a nice vibrant red and fill in the embossed lettering with gold leaf and maybe put the leftover Shimano light action gear on it or just hang up the frame once painted. its a little small for me so it wont be ridden.

Not bad at all.
Better than a poke in the eye with a rusty brake cable. :D

munga

Postby munga » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:14 pm

..or a poke in the eye with a red biro, which is what my daughter inadvertently just gave my poor wife.

carry on.

lunar_c

Postby lunar_c » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:07 pm

I can't believe someone threw that CAAD5 frame away.. man, you live in a good area for kerbside treasures!

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:49 pm

lunar_c wrote:I can't believe someone threw that CAAD5 frame away.. man, you live in a good area for kerbside treasures!
And why they didn't at the very least remove the aerobars. Still, if it wasn't for people like that i wouldn't have so many bikes to ride :) .

Ferrovelo

Postby Ferrovelo » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:56 am

please tell us more about 'that feeling' that you will find a bike, Obi Wan, and how you use the force to know just which street to drive down. learn it I must.
Last edited by Ferrovelo on Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mark field

Postby mark field » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:37 am

amrjon wrote:please tells more about 'that feeling' that you will find a bike, Obi Wan, and how you use the force to know just which street to drive down. learn it I must.
earlier in the day i noticed some piles on the roadside, thought it might be that time where everyone starts to offload onto the footpath so i knew i would check it out after work (9:45 pm) I'm very methodical about my scrounging methods. i pick a main road and zig zag until all streets are done on one side and then do the other, i didn't get past the first street before the find, but nothing else after that. i must have got the last minute late night offload that the scrappy's missed. when i was in Five dock 12 years ago i was finding 10 bikes per clean-up. now its one a year. that's Sydney for you. cant even get rubbish cheaply anymore. :cry:
steel is the real deal.