Hard Rubbish/Flea market finds

ldrcycles

Re: Hard Rubbish/Flea market finds

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:25 pm

Yea nothing special but it would be just fine and dandy for a commuter. Nothing wrong with those wheels, they'll do a decent job.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

creolenights

Postby creolenights » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:49 pm

Found this Repco Olympic 12 at my local tip shop last week, my first thoughts were to strip and paint it, but in the week I have had it I have come to love its retro looks and wont be touching the paint. I will be replacing the seat and bar tape and apart from needing a new tube it is in rideable condition.

Cant get over how anyone can throw away perfectly cool bikes like this. It has some nice bits including two brand new looking Maxxi refuse tyres, not a bad buy for $25.

Stuey

Postby Stuey » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:23 pm

Wow, nice pickup.

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:32 am

yeah maxxis refuse tyres are the bomb. bulletproof they are!

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:09 am

Nice find creolenights. 8) The Olympic is the connoisseur's Repco.

EnfantDeGuerre

Postby EnfantDeGuerre » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:18 am

I found something on my neighbour's council pick-up pile last night and I was wondering if it was worth fixing as it is, or using it for something else (fixie)?
I will post some pics if anyone thinks it is worthwhile.

I am assuming it is an 1980's vintage 12 speed. Seems sort of light (maybe 8kg). Rear wheel and cassette (sans tyre and tube is 1.6kg).

It has: Mavic MA2 700C rims spoked to Shimano (KF?) hubs; Galli brake levers; Dia-Compe brake cable retainers on the top tube; Weinmann side pull brakes; Shimano 105 derailleurs front and back; SR cranks (I assume they are the same chain rings but there is no inscription); Lapize toe clips; Win drop down handle bars; frame is custom lime/white painted with no badging or decals; Shimano quick release axles; and, serial number MUE23063 is stamped to the bottom bracket.

Chain, cassette, spokes, cables and some screws are rusted but all the rest of the bike seems to be OK.

Looks like it might have been custom made. Any ideas?

xerlex

Postby xerlex » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:18 am

Yeah post some pics. Sounds like some nice off brand parts on there (I'm a fan of Galli and some SR stuff!).

stnfldr

Postby stnfldr » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:34 pm

From memory, Vaeske was searching everywhere for Mavic MA2 wheels.

Ben

EnfantDeGuerre wrote:I found something on my neighbour's council pick-up pile last night and I was wondering if it was worth fixing as it is, or using it for something else (fixie)?

I am assuming it is an 1980's vintage 12 speed. Seems sort of light (maybe 8kg). Rear wheel and cassette (sans tyre and tube is 1.6kg).

It has: Mavic MA2 700C rims spoked to Shimano (KF?) hubs; Galli brake levers; Dia-Compe brake cable retainers on the top tube; Weinmann side pull brakes; Shimano 105 derailleurs front and back; SR cranks (I assume they are the same chain rings but there is no inscription); Lapize toe clips; Win drop down handle bars; frame is custom lime/white painted with no badging or decals; Shimano quick release axles; and, serial number MUE23063 is stamped to the bottom bracket.

Chain, cassette, spokes, cables and some screws are rusted but all the rest of the bike seems to be OK.

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:34 am

thanks ben, was searching for ma2 rims but decided to go another way.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:16 pm

creolenights wrote:Cant get over how anyone can throw away perfectly cool bikes like this.
Possibly something along the lines of a SO saying "It's these pieces of Bike sh#t or me!!"
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

LoveB

Postby LoveB » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:01 pm

just bought this off an old lady for 15$

pretty original looking I think. I believe its still got the original paint on it. Story that came with the bike gets me thinking that I owe it to the former owner to keep it going!

EnfantDeGuerre

Postby EnfantDeGuerre » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:53 pm

EnfantDeGuerre wrote:I found something on my neighbour's council pick-up pile last night and I was wondering if it was worth fixing as it is, or using it for something else (fixie)?

I haven't been able to post any pics yet as I have been on holidays but something I have noticed is that it has Kuwahara written around the front drop-outs. Can I assume that the whole frame is Kuwahara?

singlespeedscott

Hard Rubbish/Flea market finds

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:43 pm

EnfantDeGuerre wrote: I have noticed is that it has Kuwahara written around the front drop-outs. Can I assume that the whole frame is Kuwahara?
I think that would be a fair assumption. Also check the seat tube down near the bottom bracket. Most kuwahara's I have had have been date stamped there.

creolenights

Postby creolenights » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:58 pm

HappyHumber wrote:
creolenights wrote:Cant get over how anyone can throw away perfectly cool bikes like this.
Possibly something along the lines of a SO saying "It's these pieces of Bike sh#t or me!!"

One of the benefits of being a single father...no one to give me ultimatums. :)

EnfantDeGuerre

Postby EnfantDeGuerre » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:16 pm

By enfantdeguerre at 2012-07-20
Weinmann brakes.

SR Cranks.

Mavic wheels.

Shimano 105

Galli levers.

Number under bottom bracket - MOE23063. While the forks a Kuwahara I don't think the frame is. This is the only number I can find on the frame.

LoveB

Postby LoveB » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:04 pm

back to life now. put a leather satchel onto it to

big wheels

Postby big wheels » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:58 am

My dad sells 20 to 30 bikes from the rubbish tip everytime he has a garage sale! People throw lots of good stuff away even some quite expensive bikes make it in there.
Keeps him busy in his retirement.

elantra

Postby elantra » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:02 pm

EnfantDeGuerre wrote:

Galli levers.

Number under bottom bracket - MOE23063. While the forks a Kuwahara I don't think the frame is. This is the only number I can find on the frame.
Nice bike, good bones but needs a lot of TLC.
Looks like it is from late 70's to me, note it appears there are no frame threads for waterbottles cages and no braze-ons for the shifters,
The 105 derailleur might not be original, looks to be from a more recent era.
Hope it can be restored, good find i think :D

EnfantDeGuerre

Postby EnfantDeGuerre » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:56 pm

elantra wrote: Nice bike, good bones but needs a lot of TLC.
Looks like it is from late 70's to me, note it appears there are no frame threads for waterbottles cages and no braze-ons for the shifters,
By enfantdeguerre at 2012-07-26

Made a pretty good start on it already. Stripped last weekend. Paint goes on this weekend. New chain and rear sprocket. All the alloy bits have been getting massaged with Autosol. Should be back together for a continuing "rolling restoration" by next weekend.

Yes, there is a distinct lack of braze-ons. The cable guides on the BB are Shimano stamped; there is a cable ferule stop on the chain stay; attachment holes for mudguard stays; and a lug on the underside to keep the shifters and that is it.

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:47 am

EnfantDeGuerre wrote:
elantra wrote: Nice bike, good bones but needs a lot of TLC.
Made a pretty good start on it already. Stripped last weekend. Paint goes on this weekend. New chain and rear sprocket. All the alloy bits have been getting massaged with Autosol. Should be back together for a continuing "rolling restoration" by next weekend.

Yes, there is a distinct lack of braze-ons. The cable guides on the BB are Shimano stamped; there is a cable ferule stop on the chain stay; attachment holes for mudguard stays; and a lug on the underside to keep the shifters and that is it.
hey mate, if you're interested in a 105 groupset of that derailleurs era, let me know. I have almost all of the parts for it. apart from the fd and cranks. I was originally hoping to find some fd and cranks and sell the whole groupset together but haven't been lucky with any finds lately.

cheerio.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:11 am

An absolute corker this morning, emptying the bin into the skip behind my workplace and fished out a set of CARBON Truvativ Rouleur cranks! CARBON FIBRE cranks in the skip!! Barely a mark on them. Has Shimano chainrings which are a little worn but i can't see any reason to throw it. And everyone who works here knows my 'interest' (to put it mildly) in bikes so i don't know where they came from.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:32 am

ldrcycles wrote:CARBON FIBRE cranks in the skip!! Barely a mark on them. Has Shimano chainrings which are a little worn but i can't see any reason to throw it.
Flaws in carbon fibre can be invisible to the naked eye. Tread carefully, my friend.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:20 pm

Rouleurs have a central alloy spine in them, but agree with above. Give them a good look over. If ok, SCORE!

Jim

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:06 pm

In my excitement that thought hadn't occurred to me but yes they will definitely need a good going over. I'm all too familiar with the consequences of a problem with the drivetrain :) . Nothing on the surface to indicate a problem but as rkelsen says, that doesn't mean they're safe.

stnfldr

Postby stnfldr » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:14 pm

My sister picked this up for me yesterday. Cool little rig,

Ben