Hard Rubbish/Flea market finds

LG

Re: Hard Rubbish/Flea market finds

Postby LG » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:31 pm

For the first time in ages I went to the tip shop in order to drop off some old electronic devices, not to collect another bike. Anyway I couldn't pass this up with full deore kit, just needed the headset adjusted and pedals added and its right to go. There was also a sakae litage with campag xenon hanging up which I got excited about for a moment, then saw they had $600 marked on it :shock:
LG = Low Gear

Matt Zac

Postby Matt Zac » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:42 pm

Picked up this GT bmx recently on hard rubbish. A full strip down, cut & polish, re-lube and a $5 tube got it to this stage...

...after which it was passed on to a very excited young fellow (friend of a friend). A very happy result all round!
No, honey, I've had that one for ages...

The Fixer

Postby The Fixer » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:01 pm

Neither hard rubbish, nor a tip or market score, but...

A mate has had to find alternative storage for his bikes, and space is, apparently, limited compared to the old location.

So, being aware that I'm an Apollophile, he gave me this Apollo II. Not sure of the year, but it's Kuwahara-built, and is in
fairly tidy condition overall. The seat-stays are tapered at both ends and thicker in the middle, not a feature of any of
my other Apollos. I do have suitable parts on hand to replace the missing items (but only steel rims, unfortunately).

The only problem is, she's a very tall frame. I'm 180cm and I almost need to stand on a milk-crate to get a leg over her
so once she's complete I'll probably pass her on...

First pic is 'as acquired', second pic is an older one of her, parked next to my 'normal-size' 1980 Apollo III, which gives
an idea of just how tall she actually is.

Last edited by The Fixer on Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I don't care if it's a $20 Huffy or a $20k Colnago, as long as you're riding, and you're happy.

The Fixer

Postby The Fixer » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:12 pm

Matt Zac wrote:Picked up this GT bmx recently on hard rubbish. A full strip down, cut & polish, re-lube and a $5 tube got it to this stage...

...after which it was passed on to a very excited young fellow (friend of a friend). A very happy result all round!

Nice one! Hope the young fella gets a buzz out of it. :)

Same story with this old Bully Turbine, pretty-much. I got it as an incomplete roughie, but it came up very nicely indeed with
some TLC.

So now, at 57, I have my very first-ever BMX bike. Yes, I look like an idiot on it. But it's good fun for no dollars, so I'm smiling. :D

I posted a couple of pics on a US Bully fan site, and they LOVED it. :D

I don't care if it's a $20 Huffy or a $20k Colnago, as long as you're riding, and you're happy.

landyacht

Postby landyacht » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:14 pm

my easter gift to myself :D i havent picked up anything like a keeper lately , just fix and sells, but yesterday we had a looky around the tip shop looking for any decent BMX parts. right at the back there was a tatty 27". when i tok a look i realized i had spotted some alloy rims, then noticed the lovely crank armsand saw the magic words shimano 600, then the derailluer, brakes and levers, then noticed the lovely diacompe stem and WIN ally bars
the bike is a gordonson." made "in perth well japan. 55cm I do love it when I get one my size.
main task to get it riding was to take the bend out of the rear rim, and replace the front derailleur cable. with a squit of c r c and air, then a spot of oil i was off for a run around town then off for a lovely 20km. plan is to respoke the wheels ready for a 40km race later this year. last year the race was a handicap and i snuck in with a win with 20m to spare. this year its a scratch race (presumably to stop me doing a back to back :D )and ive got buckleys chance,so I figure i could use the race as an excuse to justify my little collection of vintage bikes. carbon V steel :D
the bars have got a lovely upsweep on top and are quite tight , something that would disappear for 20 years, before coming back
plenty of potential for some polishing here

commando

Postby commando » Sun May 10, 2015 7:08 pm

My wife found this Shogun Trail Breaker 2 for me (well, she saw it on the side of the road and told me about it later. Conveniently AFTER I'd done all the errands she wanted me to do that day).

Terrible condition, corrosion everywhere and smashed rd and pods. The alloy bits are almost fused with the steel in some places, but surprisingly the seat post came right out! Looks to be Exage Country group.
I'm pretty sure it's an 87, based on some google searching.

Pretty much junk to most people, but I've always loved the simplicity of ruggedness of these old trail bikes, I think they took over where the British 3-speed bikes left off (and could have been part of their demise as well). To me it will serve 2 purposes, a) practice painting frame (before I make attempts on my Abeni and GT 'Klunker'), and b) a Sturmey Archer 3-speed conversion for a townie/gravel bike

Image Image

singlespeedscott

Hard Rubbish/Flea market finds

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun May 10, 2015 7:49 pm

A strip and powder coat and it should make a great bike for cruising with the kids, to the shops or work. Visit the Rivendell Cycles web site for inspiration.

8/40Special

Postby 8/40Special » Mon May 11, 2015 9:35 pm

commando wrote:My wife found this Shogun Trail Breaker 2 for me (well, she saw it on the side of the road and told me about it later. Conveniently AFTER I'd done all the errands she wanted me to do that day).

Terrible condition, corrosion everywhere and smashed rd and pods. The alloy bits are almost fused with the steel in some places, but surprisingly the seat post came right out! Looks to be Exage Country group.
I'm pretty sure it's an 87, based on some google searching.

Pretty much junk to most people, but I've always loved the simplicity of ruggedness of these old trail bikes, I think they took over where the British 3-speed bikes left off (and could have been part of their demise as well). To me it will serve 2 purposes, a) practice painting frame (before I make attempts on my Abeni and GT 'Klunker'), and b) a Sturmey Archer 3-speed conversion for a townie/gravel bike

Image Image

Hi Commando,

I have a similar year Shogun Ground Breaker to that- same colour green. Bottom bracket worn out and broken thumb shifters, no seat, thrown out onto the road. I put a new bottom bracket in it and some Sunrace thumb shifters from Moruya cycles.

After cleaning it up and replacing a few more bits and pieces it is a great bike for riding with the kids or a run up to the shops.

Enjoy that one. They are a solid old bike.

Scott

commando

Postby commando » Mon May 11, 2015 10:55 pm

Yup, I'm keeping this one. Although it's number..... 1, 2, 3....4? in line for rebuilding. Thanks for the encouragement guys.

duncan16v

Postby duncan16v » Sun May 24, 2015 3:43 pm

Hard rubbish time in the People's Republic - just picked up a Raleigh Medale 12 (not a Nottingham bike but complete with oddball pedals), a front wheel with Campagnolo hub and Mavic rim, a brand spankin' new Velocity wheel and brand new Vittoria Randonneur tyre. Bloody hell!

Doing the happy dance right now.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed May 27, 2015 7:39 am

Not sure what's going on with hard rubbish in our area. Last few there has been very little in the way of bikes, junk or otherwise that last longer than half a day. Usually by the time I get around to pick up they are gone.

This round I've picked up a BMX (grabbed tyres and brake levers and put it back out), a re sprayed dragster frame with good wheels and near new tyres but with a stuffed stem, no bars and busted seat and a near rideable Repco Contessa ladies single speed complete with undamaged guards but a reasonable amount of patina. I've also passed on several kids bikes that have stayed out for several days.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

BrianL

Postby BrianL » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:43 pm

Got a "killer 10 speed" from a nature strip which someone on here might appreciate.
Claud Butler "Regent"
Reynolds 531 frame
Weinneman brakes
Shimano derailleurs & shifters
Somos(?) front hub, Weinneman rim
Original toe clips with Claud Butler printed on the straps!
Rear wheel appears not to match, alloy rim with steel hub
Seat appears to be a recent "upgrade"
Except as noted, the bike appears very original and looked after
According to some Internet research it could be a 1991/92 model, although my guess from the style and fittings would have been mid-eighties - however I'm no expert on this old stuff!

FREE to a good home, PM me

GONE NOW. Well I have 3 takers so it's as good as gone. Shoulda auctioned it!
Happy collecting y'all.

Cheers
Brian
Last edited by BrianL on Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

duncan16v

Postby duncan16v » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:24 pm

PM'd...

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:03 pm

I live in a complex of 96 townhouses with a communal rubbish collection and the skips get all sorts of inappropriate stuff in or near them. I was riding home with the kids and saw a road bike with what looked like RSX brifters parked next to the skip.

Sadly by the time I got there it had gone, but I did find a comfort bike frame there. I had a friend in need of an MTB and some rims and hubs that I could build into suitable wheels so a week later I came up with this.

The tyres are not suitable for the intended use, and the seat post isn't suitable for anything, but the bike will do the job. It has a reasonable drive train and even mount points for racks and mudguards. If my friend didn't want it it could easily have become my commuter.

Cheers,

Cameron

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:26 am

Those wheels look cool :) .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:54 pm

Thanks ldr.

They started off as cheap "fixie" wheels that I bought as the cheapest way to get deep section 32 spoke rims for my commuting tandem. I gave the hubs away to a friendly LBS and built the rims and spokes onto some old RX-100 hubs I had. (The rims that they were on had died from worn brake tracks from their previous life as my commuter) Unfortunately something in the rear hub doesn't quite line up and with an 11-34 cassette, the wobble was enough to make the chain go hunting between gears in the bigger cogs.

This build gave me the opportunity to give the rims their second hub transplant. The rims should be capable of withstanding all sorts of abuse, they weigh 880g each! However the net result is that I got to clear away a bit more of that stuff that gets kept because "it'll come in handy some day", and the bike will be capable of the light off-road treatment that will be asked of it.

Cheers,

Cameron

metrosyd34

Postby metrosyd34 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:14 pm

Kermit TF wrote:Picked this up last week from the tip shop..
Suntour throughout, tange no. 5 frame..clean unit all around.
Its called a turbo :roll: ...very 80s, anyone seen or heard of this model ? Did a quick search but all the centurians I found are a higher spec.
I bought one of these from a local bike shop in Sydney in the mid to late 80's.
It was 2nd hand and paid about $400
Mine is the same colour but is champion 2 tubing sticker on it.
Has suntour ARX components with sugino cranks and diacompe brakes.
I road mine into the ground as it was my main form of transport in my late teens.
Still have mine and I am restoring it. Stem is stuck to the forks but will get it resprayed.

I have a soft spot for these so if you're interested in selling let me know.

Kermit TF

Postby Kermit TF » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:37 pm

I swapped the centurian with a mate for a model plane...its not what your thinking, the plane is worth a bit :lol:
The bike has been fully cleaned and detailed, I can put you in touch with the owner, its in immaculate condition.
When in doubt......mumble.

metrosyd34

Postby metrosyd34 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:46 pm

I would be interested, tried to pm you but not sure if it worked.

Roisin79

Postby Roisin79 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:26 pm

Hard Rubbish time in my 'hood !!

Hauled in these three luggers, however they will probably go straight onto my own lawn. Worth it for the Sedis Sport chain though!! These are great.

http://www.flickr.com/gp/128075674@N06/95R5r7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:09 am

Saved these from the scrap dudes, just because, I have no need for them. (Hint: any takers?)

Raleigh 3apd Stow-away folders as a matching pair. One even has the user manual strapped to the bars. In good condition except for the neglect based rust. Look hardly ridden.

Also picked up a dodgy BMX for the tyres and a wooden balance bike in excellent condition.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:43 am

I found a Stow Away the same as the purple one a year or two ago, in marginally better condition. Seemed a nice little thing.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:12 pm

Squandered some time at the local tip shop this morning...

First effort was this...which is what I suspect to be the remains of a mid noughties Haro Thread dirt jumper MTB...
...which caught my eye despite being luridly and entirely painted sky blue. It is probably terminally rooted given it should have sliding dropouts but you never know...$5

After hauling it back to the truck I thought I'd have another look. So the I found this...
...a fresh from the shed Super Elliot town bike from the 70's (I think). Seat post collar is stamped '11549', Williams crankset, Shimano hubs with Weineman 27" rims and it came with a set of mud guards too. Just needs a new chain, bearings and some love to get it going...my size too. $10
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

metalrideroz

Postby metalrideroz » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:26 pm

Picked up an italian bitsa from the tip with some gipiemme parts on it. Does anyone recognize the bent on purpose dropouts and stamp?

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:18 pm

The annual roadside collection is on in my shire at the moment and i've got the fever so bad i had my wife on spotlight duty the night before she went into labour :lol: . She was a willing participant though, especially after we found some baskets that will be perfect for her trike.

It's a good thing i've got into scrapping, as this year has been a shocker for bikes (got 18 fridges/washing machines, 48 pedestal fans, a pressure cleaner and a dehumidifier though :mrgreen: ). Last year i got more than a dozen bikes including a lugged carbon mtb, this year only a bottom end GT Palomar and an old steel Avanti with a really nice pair of 700C rims (Alesa i think). One house provided a great pile of goodies though, a Reid U lock still in original packaging, brand new sprung saddle for my wife, leather grips for my beach cruiser, a surfboard and a unicycle!

Pick of the lot is the upright fan heater and massive convection microwave that both work perfectly :D .