Hard Rubbish/Flea market finds

LG

Re: Hard Rubbish/Flea market finds

Postby LG » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:32 pm

This ricardo as mentioned is a ladies frame and I was a bit surprised to see the XT gear. Looks like it has been stored inside which is a bonus. The rear frame spacing is 120 while the hub is 126, so assume somebody added the kit later. Deer head model brake levers, shifters, derailluers, high flange hubs, 6206 cranks & 6208 freewheel with 32 tooth big cog. Lee chi canti brakes unfortunately.

LG = Low Gear

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:03 pm

LG wrote:This ricardo as mentioned is a ladies frame and I was a bit surprised to see the XT gear.
Wow!! And your wife fetches them for you.... You're one lucky guy! :D :D :D
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Ferrovelo

Postby Ferrovelo » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:30 pm

I picked up this little collection of Sanyo Dynapower gear on the weekend.
The dynos seem well made and I imagine that the behind the bottom bracket mounting would be a lot neater than the bottle type arangement.
Anyone familure with them? and tips or tricks?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:19 pm

Nice score. I'm pretty sure ilPadrone is your man.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

koen

Postby koen » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:55 pm

Great finds..
Dynapowers are great and I dug out one of my old ones this year. They are nominally 6volt but will run 12 volt no worries. They are basically current limited by the winding size but under low load will run over 6 volts easily which is why some people found they used to blow bulbs. So with low wattage 12volt LEDs that outshine halogens the possibilities are obvious. I used a 4watt LED 12volt "halogen replacement" bulb I bought from Hong Kong off ebay for a few bucks. Brilliant!
Also lose the bottom bracket clamp if you have one and make a bracket that mounts it in front of the rear brake off the brake mount...could be tricky with newer recessed brake retainers but not impossible. Then the dynapower is easy to turn off and on and not so prone to getting covered in crud. PM me if you want more info.

Wow, that old XT on the Ricardo was a find.

Ferrovelo

Postby Ferrovelo » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:23 pm

Thanks Koen, tyre driven dyno + LED sounds very old meets new, not something I would have thought of.
Do you have a picture of the alternate mounting? Your description is pretty clear but a picture always helps.

I was wondering whether give one a go as it or to give it a good clean up and grease and oil change first. But I havn't even had a propper look at them yet, are they servicable or best left alone your average tinkerer?

fly spray

Postby fly spray » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:30 am

Are SunTour xc2 pedals on the pink Ricardo ?

I've never head of the dear head groupset before

munga

Postby munga » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:45 am

man, i've got to keep a closer eye on ladies mtb's!

LG

Postby LG » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:50 am

Yes they are suntour XC pedals. They seem like a nice set of pedals although quite agressive with the sharp grips, will need to watch shins and calves. Also suntour XC stem. The deer head group were the first XT MTB group shimano brought out, before that deore was more of a touring set up. I have a set of early deore (2 coloured blue) gear on a gemini world randonnuer.

*edit* yes XC II
Last edited by LG on Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LG = Low Gear

lunar_c

Postby lunar_c » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:40 pm

I found a Kolin "All terrain" or something MTB today. Reynolds 501 All terrain tubeset, reasonably nice gear on it .. Shimano Exage gruppo and canti's (missing crankset) and Kalloy seatpost/bars and some Shimano hubs built onto Araya 26" rims.

It's a bit small for me but I think it'd make a nice bike for someone I know with a bit of work. Anyone know anything about Kolin? It looks a lot like a Kuhawara.

Will get pics soon.

lunar_c

Postby lunar_c » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:12 pm

Here's the pics of the Kolin "Desert Dueller" I found yesterday. The seat tube even has a nice scallop carved into it. Top tube is about 56cm and ST 54cm, a little on the small side for me.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:46 pm

lunar_c wrote:Here's the pics of the Kolin "Desert Dueller" I found yesterday. The seat tube even has a nice scallop carved into it. Top tube is about 56cm and ST 54cm, a little on the small side for me.
mmm.. the K reminds me of the "Kojima" branding.

Would be a good build as a commuter or tourer for a tacker somewhat littler than us, Ben... I see it's got double eyelets and rear rack braze-ons.
I've developed a bit of inexplicable penchant for canti-lever brakes recently. I am probably due another appointment with my therapist.... ;)
--

munga

Postby munga » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:11 pm

HappyHumber wrote:
lunar_c wrote: mmm.. the K reminds me of the "Kojima" branding.
ching-ching! winner, winner, tv dinner! tell him wot he's won!

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:18 pm

munga wrote:
HappyHumber wrote:
lunar_c wrote: mmm.. the K reminds me of the "Kojima" branding.
ching-ching! winner winner tv dinner! tell im wot hes won!
Actually, munga me ol' mucka... it was me that said that, not lunar_c... might wanna revisit yer tags there mate. I deserve the dinner... not 'im. He's got a new bike to play with. ;)

So.. Kojima was the latter day incarnation of the "Indi" brand, no?
--

munga

Postby munga » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:51 pm

d'oh! my bad

50 internet points to HappyHumber!

sandberry

Postby sandberry » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:10 pm

A little while back I posted a bike I found tossed on the road missing a few parts (namely, seatpost and seat, shifters and more).
I finally got around to getting the bike into a rideable condition with some spare parts I had lying around - just need a tube for the rear wheel.

It's a bit like Frankenstein's monster, but it feels kind of good to have given it at least another life, even if it isn't a proper full restoration.

lunar_c

Postby lunar_c » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:34 pm

There really is nothing you don't know about old bikes is there you two? :)

Yeah I'm thinking of building it up as a work horse commuter type bike for a friend of mine!

All it's missing is a crankset, some pedals, the missing half of the Shimano cantilever brake on the back, and a seat, and with some new cables and a good clean up it'd be mint.

Can anyone help me with the brake?

austy37

Postby austy37 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:39 pm

I found this old girl at the tip today, it has some nice lugs (nervex?), campag nuovo record rd, universal brakes, stronglight crank, brooks seat, campag hubs with ambrosio extra rims, weiman brake levers that i think the original owner may have 'drillumed'. seat post is 27.2mm, brooks seat. its sooo greasy though, needs a good clean. i cant see any lables or anything, a strange cut out around the bb might be a clue? pretty light bike all round though. shame about the brutal dents in the top tube, frame is too big for e anyway so i guess its a blessing. weird thing about the tires though, neither of the seems to have a valve, the tires say 'green racer' made in england, and feel like tough rubber, almost like a wheelchair tire. anyway will try to pull them off tomorrow.

uncle arthur

Postby uncle arthur » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:45 pm

I'd be going to TOWN on a resto on that!!! You never know - you might find someone who can braze/fill the top tube dents, and with some targeted effort you'll have a beautiful restoration worthy of a new home somewhere.
What is it with cycling? 30+ kmh and lycra???!!!

cmc75

Postby cmc75 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:29 pm

Where is your tip, because I'm setting up my tent there and waiting for another one to get dropped off...

LG

Postby LG » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:35 pm

Wow austy, that is a very nice find. If the dents are in the centre of the top tube there is a reasonable chance it's repairable. Frame blocks to remove any bulging then fill the dents, as long as it's not cracked or creased you could get away with it.
LG = Low Gear

austy37

Postby austy37 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:48 pm

it looks pretty bad but i am no expert. ill take a more detailed pic tomorrow. i have a frame of similar vintage (54cm) in my size that i might just take the bits off. it is a nice frame though.

Ferrovelo

Postby Ferrovelo » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:13 pm

It's been said, but wow, what a find.

austy37

Postby austy37 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:25 pm

...did i mention it cost me $100, but i think worth it. my tip guy has gotten wise over the years

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:05 am

austy37 wrote:I found this old girl at the tip today, it has some nice lugs (nervex?), weird thing about the tires though, neither of the seems to have a valve, the tires say 'green racer' made in england, and feel like tough rubber, almost like a wheelchair tire. anyway will try to pull them off tomorrow.
LG is right, the dents are almost certainly fixable by a decent framebuilder.

Beware of those tyres! They were a British (re)invention in the late 80's to create a 'puncture proof' cushion tyre. They are, as you have probably guessed, solid with no inner tube. Actually they are not totaly solid but have a 'cushion cell' construction. I think Brit-Int Pty brought them into Oz in the early 90's.
Kicker here is they were absolute horrors to get on and especially off. I broke a couple of tyre levers getting the MTB version (yes there was one! :shock: ) off a set of wheels for a friend back in the 90's and most mechanics hated them. You may have better luck with the narrower tyre? They didn't sell well, especially the narrow versions. I think most of the UK stock got re-processed into door mats IRRC so you have something unusual there as well as a very nice bike.
From the components and the headset (TDC 'J' type?)It could date anywhere from early 60's upto mid 70's. I don't think that style of GB stem came out until the late 60's? They replaced the 'spearpoint' stems.
Cheers
Richard