Hard Rubbish/Flea market finds

jaseyjase

Re: Hard Rubbish/Flea market finds

Postby jaseyjase » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:14 pm

flashrider wrote:Okay, pics to follow as soon as I take them. Scored a second Flash over the weekend for the princely sum of $32. :D Sized perfectly for me 54cm. YAY!!! Bought with the intention of fixifying it to emulate the old man's Flash track bike...but, before I do that, your thoughts please, as a weird mix of components. Rims are aluminium 27" Fiammes, laced with double butted SS spokes to Shimano high flanges. Has Suntour Cyclone friction derailleurs/shifters, no name aluminium cranks, Diacompe brakes and stem, 3TTT bars, stamped dropouts and bad paint over okay chrome. Nice ornate lugs on the headtube too...restore as a retro racer or strip back to ride as a fixie?
pics!

and i still got your brakes!

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:05 pm

flashrider wrote:Okay, pics to follow as soon as I take them. Scored a second Flash over the weekend for the princely sum of $32. :D Sized perfectly for me 54cm. YAY!!! Bought with the intention of fixifying it to emulate the old man's Flash track bike...but, before I do that, your thoughts please, as a weird mix of components. Rims are aluminium 27" Fiammes, laced with double butted SS spokes to Shimano high flanges. Has Suntour Cyclone friction derailleurs/shifters, no name aluminium cranks, Diacompe brakes and stem, 3TTT bars, stamped dropouts and bad paint over okay chrome. Nice ornate lugs on the headtube too...restore as a retro racer or strip back to ride as a fixie?
For those cranks, look on the backs of the cranks. Some cranks originally had the brand names printed on them. This would have disappeared when they were polished. I have a set of Sugino cranks like that.
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

flashrider

Postby flashrider » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:29 pm

Behold the $32 bargain...
Projectus Distractus Maxima.

elStado

Postby elStado » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:17 am

flashrider wrote:
I want. Not so keen on spending $200 on a kit that will need another $200+ spent on it to get running.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

drubie

Postby drubie » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:49 am

elStado wrote:
flashrider wrote:
I want. Not so keen on spending $200 on a kit that will need another $200+ spent on it to get running.
elStado - that Viscount is a bit of a collector piece - it's worth the money being asked and probably a lot more just for the history / death fork stuff (although it'd be worth more if the death fork came with it for display).

Keep your eyes out, visit your tip shop regularly, something will turn up that's appropriate for tinkering.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

elStado

Postby elStado » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:34 pm

drubie wrote:Keep your eyes out, visit your tip shop regularly, something will turn up that's appropriate for tinkering.
Yeah haha that was bit obvious. I'm still considering it, though it will cost a lot more than I was planning. So still coming to terms with that.

BurtO

Postby BurtO » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:33 pm

Picked this up from the local dump for a tenner,quite an interesting bike, not the least the upside down logo on the headstem ,Image I found one the same on the net in America so it confirms it was a factory mistake, easy I guess if you cant speak english! Also I found out that the rear derailler was a doozy in the day, Suntour V GT Luxe. And I have to smile at the sticker proudly stating that its made from ultra lite steel,
at 12.5kg Im not so sure.
So with a good clean up and some parts from the shed ( wheels, seat, tape) Ive got a nice retro ride!

flashrider

Postby flashrider » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:03 pm

elStado - that Viscount is a bit of a collector piece - it's worth the money being asked and probably a lot more just for the history / death fork stuff (although it'd be worth more if the death fork came with it for display).
Plus 1 on the value for money. All that lovely old school componentry, a frame with history and a wheelset for 200 clams?
Projectus Distractus Maxima.

sturmey archer

Postby sturmey archer » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:42 pm

I've always been rather jealous of the finds listed in this thread. During the recent hard rubbish season in Monash and Kingston council areas I've been keeping my eyes open for a bike for my SS project. After 2 months of cruising around at lunchtime or to and from work I had the grand total of:
A 'De Carlo' Pulse - sounds exotic , but A 1980's Rays Bicycles house brand.
A Raleigh Team 12 - minus brakes , but with the bonus of a corroded in alloy stem.
A Malvernstar Ultrasport - Are vintage profile bars worth anything?

None of them particularly exciting, but I figured that with this lot and a few miscellaneous BMX freewheels and assorted crappy alloy wheels I had the makings of a serviceable SS build.

Anyway, last Sunday my wife and I are driving back from picking our 2 cats and a dog up from boarding after a weekend away. As we are slowing down to the lights I see a bike frame sticking out of a bile of rubbish, and a couple of wheels nearby.

I figure our little car is fully loaded already. I have enough junk, its probably a mountain bike frame and those are probably steel wheels anyway. So we continue home and I din't think too much more about it

Some hours later, the Misses asks me to go to the supermarket to pick some stuff up. I figure that on the way I might as well check out those bike bits. I park around the corner and walk back to the pile for a look. Bugger me if I don't see a set of trackends sticking out of the pile. Quick as a flash the frame is in my grubby mitts, but unfortunately there's no fork. Oh well its a nice score anyway and those Stronglight cranks are a nice catch, and I'll grab that alloy wheel with 5 speed cluster as well.

Some time later I'm wandering around the supermarket, thinking about which frame can donate some forks and it occurs to me that the bike was well in bits and the pile was quite large - maybe I should go back on the off chance the forks still are there.

So shopping done I'm back at the junk pile. At this point I have no shame. Ignoring the drivers stopped next to me at the lights I rummage and am rewarded with - a pair of twin crown forks - What idiot throws away a thing of such beauty?
More rummaging turns up :
Track bars with very rusty Cinelli steel stem attached
A Freccia D'oro Plastic seat
A pair of Weinmann Type 500 brakes
A Suntour Honour derailleur with Huret friction shifter.

My guess is that the frame dates from the 50's and the Weinnman brakes, 5speed rear end, plastic saddle and
Stronglight cranks are from a rebuild in the 1970's.

I haven't been able to find any makers details on the frame. Some of the lugs are Nervex professional series and the frame + forks + Bottom bracket and cranks weigh 3.82Kg, so its reasonably light.

Does anyone have any better ideas on the era and origins of this frame? It certainly caused some rearrangement of the SS plans!

ImageImageImageImage

More photos at : http://www.flickr.com/photos/rf_toaster ... 037056753/

Ian
Last edited by sturmey archer on Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1.370" x 24 tpi - what sort of stupid standard is that?

elStado

Postby elStado » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:13 pm

daaammn, nice find.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:15 am

+1! :D

elStado

Postby elStado » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:43 am

Not sure what this is or what it's worth, but I thought I would share in case it goes for cheap, could be a nice bike for a taller person:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/27-racing-bike-c ... 2eb0936450

drubie

Postby drubie » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:47 am

elStado wrote:Not sure what this is or what it's worth, but I thought I would share in case it goes for cheap, could be a nice bike for a taller person:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/27-racing-bike-c ... 2eb0936450
Bit of a dunger - steel stem/bars and bar shifters. $5 would be my max.

edit: stamped cottered cranks, steel wheels, $2.50.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

scratchman

Postby scratchman » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:20 am

sturmey archer wrote:I've always been rather jealous of the finds listed in this thread. During the recent hard rubbish season in Monash and Kingston council areas I've been keeping my eyes open for a bike for my SS project.

Anyway, last Sunday my wife and I are driving back from picking our 2 cats and a dog up from boarding after a weekend away. As we are slowing down to the lights I see a bike frame sticking out of a bile of rubbish, and a couple of wheels nearby.

So shopping done I'm back at the junk pile. At this point I have no shame. Ignoring the drivers stopped next to me at the lights I rummage and am rewarded with - a pair of twin crown forks - What idiot throws away a thing of such beauty?
More rummaging turns up :
Track bars with very rusty Cinelli steel stem attached
A Freccia D'oro Plastic seat
A pair of Weinmann Type 500 brakes
A Suntour Honour derailleur with Huret friction shifter.

My guess is that the frame dates from the 50's and the Weinnman brakes, 5speed rear end, plastic saddle and
Stronglight cranks are from a rebuild in the 1970's.

I haven't been able to find any makers details on the frame. Some of the lugs are Nervex professional series and the frame + forks + Bottom bracket and cranks weigh 3.82Kg, so its reasonably light.

Does anyone have any better ideas on the era and origins of this frame? It certainly caused some rearrangement of the SS plans!
Ian
that's a great find, good for you, another one saved, just shows if you persist and you happen to be in the right place at the right time........
Phil

BLU_FZ!

Postby BLU_FZ! » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:47 pm

Im guessing that lawn mowers dont fall into the catagory, but doing my usual Fri arvo trip to the tip shop to check over the weeks new stock,,,,,,there is this mower. Its either $25 for the Repco Traveller or the mower?commonn scence prevails this trip and the mower comes home with me. Clean out the rust from the tank and chuck in some new fuel,,,no compression, off with head,,,,exhaust valve stuck open,,,,squirt some frogs piss on the valve and a tap with a hammer,,,,,closed,,wack the head back on and 3 pulls later she fires into life.Though the cylinder blade needs a sharpen, it did cut the lawn.The catcher off my Alroh even fits "bonus"I will pick up the Traveller tomorrow :idea:
"Him"-You do realize that you now own one of the rarest of all high end Nishikis ever produced?"Me"-But its still a Repco mate

munga

Postby munga » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:04 pm

good grief thats a manly looking lawn mower!

sturmey archer

Postby sturmey archer » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:28 am

Hi-ten or Cro-mo handlebar set? That alloy should polish up nice
1.370" x 24 tpi - what sort of stupid standard is that?

vanbree

Postby vanbree » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:43 am

Nice pickup sturmy archer, have also been doing the hard rubbish rounds the tally sofar : tange infinity frame with shimano 600, hillman 531 professional frame with shimano 600 very rusty , early 70's ? light weight frame with nice lugs and on ebay at the moment two star ladies roadster with bent forks, 2 mastersports kids 24 inch roadsters plus a folder.

flammer

Postby flammer » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:42 am

Used to have a 'bare foot lawn' that could take such a unit. Now it's cape weed and bindi. Zap the weeds and I'd have mud. :(
The Tao is like a bellows: 
it is empty yet infinitely capable.
SynapseLiquigas Mt Fuji Pro
CAAD 7 Reborn as Cyclocross Gazelle AA Special

BLU_FZ!

Postby BLU_FZ! » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:50 pm

flammer wrote:Used to have a 'bare foot lawn' that could take such a unit. Now it's cape weed and bindi. Zap the weeds and I'd have mud. :(
:shock: :shock: "WHAT" :shock: :shock:, water restrictions??????????????????????????????????? Theres plenty coming from the tap,,,,,try it :idea:
"Him"-You do realize that you now own one of the rarest of all high end Nishikis ever produced?"Me"-But its still a Repco mate

flammer

Postby flammer » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:29 pm

15 years of drought! Only level 1 restrictions, but only 2 houses in town watered their lawns. :x Bad people!

And to stay relevant, we NEVER have hard rubbish days! :(
The Tao is like a bellows: 
it is empty yet infinitely capable.
SynapseLiquigas Mt Fuji Pro
CAAD 7 Reborn as Cyclocross Gazelle AA Special

vanbree

Postby vanbree » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:48 pm

My latest find, a simplex cycloid with 3 speed sturmy archer dated 1950 has rod operated drum brakes made in amsterdam. Most probably came over by boat with a dutch immigrant, could have been the same boat my parents came over on

LoveB

Postby LoveB » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:13 pm

^^^^^^

Nice!

elStado

Postby elStado » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:16 pm

LoveB wrote:^^^^^^

Nice!
Seconded. Will be a lot of work to get up to scratch, but will be worth it. Looks like a classic old bike.

matilda5

Postby matilda5 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:38 pm

[quote][/quote]My latest find, a simplex cycloid with 3 speed sturmy archer dated 1950

very nice. It will be good to see you ride around bentleigh on it.
centurion mixte purchased
Nishiki mountain
Ricardo Elite