Hard Rubbish/Flea market finds

foo on patrol

Re: Hard Rubbish/Flea market finds

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:06 pm

redsonic wrote:This electric trike was on the side of the road near my place with a sign on it "Please take. Runs well."
I snatched it up for my Mum who is not ready for a mobility scooter but fancies she could ride one of these. Found out my neighbour owned it, so she showed me all its tricks.
Quite grunty, with a 36v Lion battery. 3 speed Nexus hub. Cockpit tilts independently of rear axle, and you can adjust the amount of tip.
Spent a few hours servicing it and have given it a couple of runs now. Not my cup of tea, but Mum will be stoked.
I am caring for her dog while she is away, so am training it to ride on the back.
Not a bad find!
Bargain and that should give her much enjoyment with the dog. 8)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

mb4055

Postby mb4055 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:40 pm

I have previously taken a dim view of those folks who pick up stuff from hard rubbish day, but in recent times i have picked up two bikes that people were throwing out. The first is a unicycle, and having tried to give it a shot, i'm quite tempted to put it out on the street myself. The second, however, is a beautiful (totally biased) 1982 Trek 950. I have cleaned her up, new saddle, tyres and bar tape. She rides so nicely that she has become my daily ride

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:01 am

mb4055 wrote:The second, however, is a beautiful (totally biased) 1982 Trek 950. I have cleaned her up, new saddle, tyres and bar tape. She rides so nicely that she has become my daily ride
That is one very nice bike. I haven't seen one in that good a condition for a long time - excellent find!

Richard

LG

Postby LG » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:45 am

Agree that the Trek is a great looking bike. Bizarre downtube decal though, looks like they only printed seat tube decals and then decided to use it on both tubes.

What components are they? Can't quite make them out.
LG = Low Gear

koshari

Postby koshari » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:02 am

Is the first picture of the residence that the Trek was placed out front of?

Aldavid

Postby Aldavid » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:24 am

Cranks n chainrings look like Ofmega gear.. nice stuff.
If you dont know where you are going...how will you know when you get there !

mb4055

Postby mb4055 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:11 pm

Ha! The first pic is taken at Sydney Uni. The house where i picked up the rig was getting cleaned out and is now for lease. There were boxes and bags of stuff...I took only the bike.

The groupset is all Campagnolo including hubs, brakes, cranks, seat post, derailleurs, levers and headset. Only the original pedals are missing...the stem and bars are Cinelli. It is all very intricate and detailed.

The rims are a mismatch. Front is a dark grey Mavic and the rear is a Ritchey. I have put a bit of elbow grease into cleaning her up, but she is very straight. I know, I'm super lucky. The ride is very smooth, and she is fast. The big ring on the front is big, well it's bigger than my other bikes...

koshari

Postby koshari » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:51 pm

It is indeed a very nice steed.

LG

Postby LG » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:23 pm

Hard rubbish super record, wow.
LG = Low Gear

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:04 pm

I must not be walking around the right places around Sydney Uni then. That is one amazing find.
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

kaboose

Postby kaboose » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:31 pm

Good pickup on the Trek, years ago I was searching hard waste for oldschool bmx, never found anything.

mb4055

Postby mb4055 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:04 pm

A few close ups. I've been busy detailing...could do this forever.

koshari

Postby koshari » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:43 am

Took my hard rubbish giant 26" that i found dumped behind the local bmx track with a mashed rear derailer and rusted up cables out today. First time i really rode it in anger and it rode well. Replaced the rd with an acera rd-m3000 for 30 bucks and also put some fatter small block 8s tires on for sandy tracks that i got cheap from reid at 10 bucks ea. That and some cables and grips Not bad for around $60 all up. Might just put a drop stopper on the seat tube as i dropped the chain from the granny a couple of times and call it done https://www.strava.com/activities/87137 ... 1487461841

grantw

Postby grantw » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:35 am

Noticed what looked like a leather saddle sticking up out of a hard rubbish pile last night so stopped and on further inspection found a well loved Cannondale ST500.

ImageCannondale ST500 by Grant White, on Flickr

It has some pretty interesting components, including a Huret Duopar rear mech, a first gen Deore fron mech, Sr Apex cranks with Zeus inner drillium rings

and a Brooks Professional Special on a DA seat post, Shimano 600ex calipers.

Wolber Rims and a Blackburn rack and strangely for the spec of the bike, Cinelli stem and bars and Shimano RX100 levers. I'm thinking these have replaced the originals at some point.

It even had a contemporary Cannondale 'Sock" underseat bag with a Hurracan saddle cover and sundry tools. The bidon still had water in it...

Really just needs new tires and a service and then it's ready for a cross continental tour.

koshari

Postby koshari » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:50 am

really sweet find there grant,
is it your size, it looks awfully like my size :-)

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:24 am

Geez, great find.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:32 am

grantw wrote:Noticed what looked like a leather saddle sticking up out of a hard rubbish pile last night so stopped and on further inspection found a well loved Cannondale ST500.
<snip>
It even had a contemporary Cannondale 'Sock" underseat bag with a Hurracan saddle cover and sundry tools. The bidon still had water in it...
Are you sure the rider wasn't in that pile somewhere as well? :wink:

Great find!

Richard

grantw

Postby grantw » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:17 pm

Some days I'm lucky, or some days I just can't help myself. I need another bike like a hole in the head.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:18 pm

User Jangari picked this up from his local clean up. Being too big for him, I got it for a great deal. I am planning on repainting/rebuilding it with my son in a while once he gets a little taller.

In the meantime I swapped the bits off my Alan Cross frame onto it and it looks like this:

Swapped the stem converter to a Deda quill last weekend. Commuted on it this morning, it's a nice ride.

Jim

koshari

Postby koshari » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:31 pm

grantw wrote:Some days I'm lucky, or some days I just can't help myself. I need another bike like a hole in the head.
I am hearing you, i have even had bikes dumped on our corner, had a cheapo Progear 2 weeks back that just had a rear dérailleur that went into the spokes. practically brand new.

This week i picked up a Giant Yukon for 50 bucks that had a broken front QR axle and needed a non drive crank arm (stripped pedal thread) and disc brake pads that were nearly down to the metal. interestingly enough the chain and sprockets were hardly worn which was surprising going from the brake pads.

The Yukon will be a keeper but the Progear will get a replacement dérailleur and be passed on to friends for their beech house.
User Jangari picked this up from his local clean up. Being too big for him, I got it for a great deal. I am planning on repainting/rebuilding it with my son in a while once he gets a little taller.
looks like a pretty large frame , i would imagine he will be a tall lad by the time he grow into this,

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:41 pm

59ST x 57TT c/c. Yep, he's on his way at 13... 8)

Jim

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue May 23, 2017 11:12 am

This weekend I found:
GT Agressor. Steel frame, great condition considering it's age. Was missing a saddle and post, but around the corner I found one that fits nicely (and left the bike it was attached to behind)
and:
Cruiser. BSO but good basic frame for a starting point.

and an Apollo II.

And then this afternoon could t resist a diamondback as e t with manitou footie on it for $50.

Sigh. In the last couple of weeks I've got rid of 4 bikes, now the slots are all full again. N+1 vs S-1 in action!
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:46 pm

I picked up one of those cruisers a few weeks ago, and i'm just about finished restoring one i've had in the shed for a while. Not fancy, but i don't think a cruiser needs to be titanium to performed its intended role :) .

This year's local council roadside rubbish collection has been pretty lacklustre for bikes, only about half a dozen worth picking up from the whole shire. That's a good thing in a way though, means i've had more time to attend to the 32 lawn mowers i got!
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

MattNSW

Postby MattNSW » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:12 pm

Hi all,

I pulled a couple of kids bikes from my town rubbish dump about six months ago on a whim and they've been sitting in the back of the workshop ever since. I'd really like to know what they are before I have a go at fixing them up (I won't dignify my novice efforts with the term 'restoring'), can anyone tell me?

The second frame looks pretty interesting (to me at least), does anyone recognise the brand? Dr. Google's Excellent Discovery Device does not offer anything.

The rear wheel is the same size at the front, I'm not sure if it was original as there has been a very poor effort at painting it and it has random wire and bolts holding it together - clearly someone didn't care much about keeping it in good nick.

"Sprinter"

I have a bunch of questions regarding parts and restoration methods but I'll save it for the other forums. Sorry for the massive pictures.

Cheers!
Matt

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:02 pm

The second one looks like a typical of the 70s-80s era 16" dragster. Lots of them available in 'store' brands, although Sprinter seems familiar but can't put my finger on where.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.