Hard Rubbish/Flea market finds

munga

Re: Hard Rubbish/Flea market finds

Postby munga » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:31 pm

no. but you could put some stickers on it and pretend it is.

cotterpin's on the money, i reckon.

rosscojj

Postby rosscojj » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:53 pm

BCM lettering found on headtube lug work. Cotterpin is on the money :D

Kermit TF

Postby Kermit TF » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:11 pm

Sensational find ! When I scrolled down and saw the cloverleaf ...... :shock: :shock:
When in doubt......mumble.

stevendavid75

Postby stevendavid75 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:20 pm

I have a kypo with the same lugs.

Great pick up - bendigo tip shop is a good set up.

Dan

Postby Dan » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:52 am

Faux-clover maketh not a Colnago.

morini

Postby morini » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:36 am

That would be the first time and the worst fake clover leaf I've seen. I hope we don't start coming across frames with three holes drilled in the bottom bracket.

Dan

Postby Dan » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:14 am

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:20 pm

Shouldn't that be "Questa non è una Colnago" ? :D
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

Dan

Postby Dan » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:35 pm

find_bruce wrote:Shouldn't that be "Questa non è una Colnago" ? :D
Perhaps. Or perhaps not. The answer lies in apple.

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:53 pm

Serial on the BB shell says 838422

62cm seat tube, 60cm top tube. Has Brev. Campagnolo headset races pressed in. Weighs in at 2.15kg or so, including headset and dirt, which isn't too shabby for something the size of a gate.

Not something I was expecting to be taking home with me tonight, but we have to grab them when they present themselves... :mrgreen:

tim

Dan

Postby Dan » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:13 pm

score!

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:06 pm

I hate to be a party pooper (but I will be)...no fork? Finding one that big might be an issue. 1" threadless conversion perhaps? Might find some carbon 1" forks with a long steerer for cheap.

Jim

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:22 pm

Yeah, I'll be going back after work for a rummage, to see if I can find a fork. And, hopefully, the rest of the headset.

Otherwise, I expect a threadless conversion will be in order. You're quite right that hunting for a threaded fork with about 2' of steerer, and half a Campy headset, would be an exercise in futility.

I expect this will be more likely a problem for the next owner of the frame. I ride a 54x50. A 62x60 would leave me speaking with a high voice. I won't be riding it myself. I've already offered it to a tall friend who loves a bit of Reynolds steel.

tim

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:30 pm

barefoot wrote:Yeah, I'll be going back after work for a rummage, to see if I can find a fork. And, hopefully, the rest of the headset.

Otherwise, I expect a threadless conversion will be in order. You're quite right that hunting for a threaded fork with about 2' of steerer, and half a Campy headset, would be an exercise in futility.

I expect this will be more likely a problem for the next owner of the frame. I ride a 54x50. A 62x60 would leave me speaking with a high voice. I won't be riding it myself. I've already offered it to a tall friend who loves a bit of Reynolds steel.

tim
Keep going back. I once found a rear wheel with a Shimano 600 hub that had pulled an eyelet through, went back the next day and located a 600 derailleur as well, then two days later the rest of the drivetrain appeared :D Who knows, the guy might decide he doesn't really need all of the crappy bits he pulled off the bike too (read: full Suntour Cyclone). Alternatively you can pick up plain Tange cromo chrome or black forks with long steerer tubes pretty easily on eBay or through a bike shop. Threadless conversions... :?

Not a colour match, but bingo! Hillman forks

*edit* didn't read the listing, they are apparently for a 57cm frame.

LG

Postby LG » Wed May 01, 2013 5:14 pm

Something a little diferent from my last bike, a very retro MTB frame and a few parts. I'm assuming early 80s, but have no idea of what make this is. Has a nice suntour bottom bracket, Tange Champion MTB tubing, tange falcon headset, XT brakes (I now have a complete deerhead group :D ), also came with some Lun Chi magic 450 cranks which I nothing about. Serial number on the bottom head tube lug is 4F08570.

When I get a chance, this will probably be a respray and build up project.
LG = Low Gear

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed May 01, 2013 6:34 pm

Sweet find.

Bob_TAS

Postby Bob_TAS » Wed May 01, 2013 6:37 pm

Where do you keep finding these?!

Saro28

Postby Saro28 » Wed May 01, 2013 6:56 pm

Bob_TAS wrote:Where do you keep finding these?!
Actually people throw them at him :) ................................

he sleeps in a dumpster :twisted: Nah Sorry Luke, Good on ya for reviving bike metal that would otherwise be scrap, We'll see this in the Before n After thread no doubt :)
Fight till the end n never give up. Cadel Evans 2012

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Wed May 01, 2013 7:29 pm

LG wrote:Something a little diferent from my last bike, a very retro MTB frame and a few parts. I'm assuming early 80s, but have no idea of what make this is. Has a nice suntour bottom bracket, Tange Champion MTB tubing, tange falcon headset, XT brakes (I now have a complete deerhead group :D ), also came with some Lun Chi magic 450 cranks which I nothing about. Serial number on the bottom head tube lug is 4F08570.

When I get a chance, this will probably be a respray and build up project.
Ha, score of the year! Pity about the paint but it seems to be in good condition otherwise, definitely worth a spray. I have a friend who rides a fully lugged Malvern Star Bushranger 26" converted to a drop bar commuter. He said that he had seen a early mountain bikes with identical frames to his, and figured that around the time Kuwahara must have been selling their MTB frame to a few different brands.
I just bought a similar era Nishiki 26" lugged mountain bike to build as a commuter, they are totally under appreciated bikes - nice geometry, long chainstays, high quality steel, cantilevers, and plenty of tire/fender clearance.

Also, +1 to the Deerhead groupset!

*edit* ...his is identical to Kukamunga's in the Retro MTB thread - viewtopic.php?t=5963" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by LugNut on Wed May 01, 2013 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed May 01, 2013 7:32 pm

I to love those early MTB's. They are surprisingly hard to find in Brisbane though. :(

LG

Postby LG » Wed May 01, 2013 8:12 pm

Bob_TAS wrote:Where do you keep finding these?!
Simple, be in the right place at the right time (and try to ignore the other 99% of the time when you aren't :wink: )
Saro28 wrote:We'll see this in the Before n After thread no doubt :)
Ci amigo - but please don't hold your breath on this. I managed to get my sandblaster working today and my Viking has now progressed to undercoat, so this will be next...

Lugnut - I assume this is some mass produced kuwahara or centurian or something similar as well. I had a similar looking frame in very good condition in my hands about 12 months ago (early suntour, takagi etc), but gave it away, it had Tassie cycles decals. I also agree, the geometry and range of options with these bikes is quite broad. I'll probably stick to flat bars with this, as I already have a similar frame (gemini world randonneur) with drop bars as a commuter.

SSS - what size you need? I'll keep an eye out.
LG = Low Gear

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed May 01, 2013 8:19 pm

Something around the 22-23" range. I like my vintage MTB's on the large size. It's got to be a rigid steel fork. Cr-Mo, preferably lugged.

Not asking for much am I :)

LG

Postby LG » Wed May 01, 2013 8:59 pm

Similar to me then :lol: , this one has a 57cm top tube, with a 51cm seat tube so will need a reasonable amount of seat post.
LG = Low Gear

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed May 01, 2013 9:55 pm

LG wrote:Similar to me then :lol: , this one has a 57cm top tube, with a 51cm seat tube so will need a reasonable amount of seat post.
Definitely to small for me.

You got to remember those old MTB's were only sized an inch smaller than a road bike back then. And not modern road bike sizing either. Back then most roadies were designed to have only 10-15cm seatpost sticking out.

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Thu May 02, 2013 10:50 am

barefoot wrote:Image
Serial on the BB shell says 838422
It becomes a puzzle!

I've been in touch with Hillman.

Their custom frames had 4-digit serial numbers, so it's not one of theirs.

They sold decal kits in the '80s, so as Barry at Hillman says, "it could be anything".

So... I wonder what it really is?!

My immediate thought when I found it was that it's probably a fake. I know a friend used to commute on a 1980s gaspipe bike that was bought in the 1980s with Colnago decals on it. We've confirmed that they could stick Hillman stickers on any old pile of tubes... and there's nothing to prove that the Reynolds 531 sticker is genuine either.

But it's a bit harder to fake chromed Columbus dropouts.

And you don't put a Campy headset in a re-badged Repco Traveller.

So, it is apparent I have a high-end frame here... but... what? And why is it wearing Hillman decals if it's not a Hillman?

tim

edit to add: seat tube is sized to fit a 27.2mm post. AFAIK, that's indicative of proper good quality steel.