Hard Rubbish/Flea market finds

koshari

Re: Hard Rubbish/Flea market finds

Postby koshari » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:35 pm

nice burnout!

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:54 pm

Haden Royal Sovereign lugs, with some other BB shell. The 3 holes on the underside of the top HT lug is custom drilled.

Parts are 1050, 600EX(6207 stuff) which comes after Arabesque but before 600Ax. The headset looks to be made up of 3 different headsets. 6400 cups, CRecord washer, 600EX top nut.

I can't recall any serials like that. Closest would be Hillman and Kenevans who 4 digit serials. It ain't a Kenevans though.

Rip out the fork and BB. Anything on/in the steerer or in the BB junction. SLX spirals or pinning(I'm thinking it does), etc?
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

grantw

Postby grantw » Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:19 pm

Thanks QV, don't think I can see any spirals or pining, the fork steerer is unmarked but after cleaning the top of the BB there's a couple of marks in the casting

One side there's a parallelogram with BCM in it

ImageFakenago find by Grant White, on Flickr

The Other side is a stamping with 531 P

I took out the Cable guide and there were more numbers in the Serial so the complete series is 180690JM

Seat tube diameter is 27.2, rear spacing is 126mm

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:32 pm

Probably Reynolds 531 Professional tubing, built 18th June 1990, by JM.

It's good stuff. Now to find out who JM is. Were there any frame builders in Wollongong?
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:23 pm

BCM is Bocama, French brand of lugs and whatnot.
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.

grantw

Postby grantw » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:56 am

Hmm, interesting stuff, thanks for the info QV and Ldr. I don't know if there's a frame building in town "JM", and I guess it's possible that the bike didn't come from here originally but I shall make some inquiries. Apart from the unusual under top tube cable routing, the shifter bosses are slightly angled, relative to the centreline of the tube. I'll strip the paint off soon and get an idea of the brazing. Looks like a keeper though :-)

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:15 pm

grantw wrote:Apart from the unusual under top tube cable routing, the shifter bosses are slightly angled, relative to the centreline of the tube.

Looks nice... As an aside, it was all the rage with custom framebuilders in the UK in the 80's to put the cable guides under the top tube.
Apparently meant to give a 'cleaner' finish and better cable run. Me personally I think it was just to look different from all the mass-produced stuff :)
Our Swallow tandem (1985) and my wife's custom Saracen tourer (1986) both have under TT guides.

I would go with QV''s guess of around 1990 as I am pretty sure those Reynold embossed cast crowns were not available until 89-90? I remember being offered them when visiting the importer (British International) circa 91-92.

Richard

grantw

Postby grantw » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:07 am

Thanks Richard.

It's certainly one of the best frames I've ever found in a skip. When I found it I was thinking I could drop some newer 10 speed Ultegra stuff I have lying around on it, but now I think I'll try and find some period 600ex and make it a bit of show pony.

tomalophicon

Postby tomalophicon » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:43 pm

Hi all,
Just found this beast at the local tip shop. It's the biggest frame I've ever seen. Seat tube is 65cm!
It has a mixture of 600 and Golden Arrow parts and is very light even considering its mammoth dimensions.
sadly, I think it's too big for me, even at 6'4" so I'll refresh it and move it on.
Tom.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:50 pm

Wowsers - with a set of kiddyback cranks I could ride it like a giraffe bike :D

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:24 pm

tomalophicon wrote:Hi all,
Just found this beast at the local tip shop. It's the biggest frame I've ever seen. Seat tube is 65cm!
It has a mixture of 600 and Golden Arrow parts and is very light even considering its mammoth dimensions.
sadly, I think it's too big for me, even at 6'4" so I'll refresh it and move it on.
Tom.

What's the top tube length?
Many brands in the 80s had fairly short TTs on their big frames, so you just have less standover clearance, less seatpost exposed, and less saddle to bar drop compared to a more modern style.

I'd seriously consider it if I weren't trying to shrink my inventory in preparation for a move. With mudguard lugs it would make a handy commuter, and I'm only 187cm.

Cheers,

Cameron

elfoam

Postby elfoam » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:20 am

ironhanglider wrote:
tomalophicon wrote:Hi all,
Tom.

What's the top tube length?
Many brands in the 80s had fairly short TTs on their big frames, so you just have less standover clearance, less seatpost exposed, and less saddle to bar drop compared to a more modern style.

I'd seriously consider it if I weren't trying to shrink my inventory in preparation for a move. With mudguard lugs it would make a handy commuter, and I'm only 187cm.

Cheers,

Cameron

Yep those seemingly giant bikes from the 80s aren't really big bikes. Im only 5'10" and my commuter is a 60+ seat tube, the higher head stem makes them perfect flatish bar cruisers, with a short stem you can sit fully upright Kermit the frog style. The top tubes are usually never more than 57. Compared to my annoyingly too big "56Cm" carbon bike with its 60cm effective top tube. Ive actually finally got that thing to fit me but it was an expensive exercise.

tomalophicon

Postby tomalophicon » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:45 am

Yep it's only a 57cm hence i think the seat adjusted all the way back.
I have fairly long legs and my nethers make contact with the top tube when standing over it.

rest_assured

Postby rest_assured » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:42 pm

I'm moving to Hobart this weekend from FNQ this weekend. Looking forward to getting out of the stinking heat....
Any Tassie locals have tips on scrounging around Hobart/surrounds? I understand there are three tip shops in Hobart, anyone have a preference?
'84 Repco Nishiki Olympic 12
'83 Peugeot Montblanc
'93 Cadex CFM3
'12 De Rosa R838
'09 Giant Trance X1
'07 Giant STP

Ferrovelo

Postby Ferrovelo » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:55 pm

Wow, as tall as the roof, that really is a tall bike!
http://ajsblogcycle.blogspot.com
(Username changed from amrjon)

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:52 am

rest_assured wrote:I'm moving to Hobart this weekend from FNQ this weekend. Looking forward to getting out of the stinking heat....
Any Tassie locals have tips on scrounging around Hobart/surrounds? I understand there are three tip shops in Hobart, anyone have a preference?

And if there is anything of value that actually makes it into the shops, it's priced accordingly, I've seen junk priced for more than you could buy the same thing off gumtree... the hard waste days in the outlying council areas are better value in terms of finding good bikes, HCC doesn't do hard waste any more.

munga

Postby munga » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:01 pm

grantw wrote:Image

that jersey!

grantw

Postby grantw » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:30 pm

;-)

rest_assured

Postby rest_assured » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:06 pm

Trevtassie wrote:And if there is anything of value that actually makes it into the shops, it's priced accordingly, I've seen junk priced for more than you could buy the same thing off gumtree... the hard waste days in the outlying council areas are better value in terms of finding good bikes, HCC doesn't do hard waste any more.

Ok, thanks. any small nearby towns with op/tip shops worth a look?
'84 Repco Nishiki Olympic 12
'83 Peugeot Montblanc
'93 Cadex CFM3
'12 De Rosa R838
'09 Giant Trance X1
'07 Giant STP

mark field

Postby mark field » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:15 pm

Hi all, i found this the other day, i drove past it about 4 times and thought "i cant be bothered anymore" but 5th time was the charm, so here i am again. i will be honest and say if the frame is not something special then ill just flip it on flea-bay or something, however i have a stash of shiny- shiny bits waiting to be used for that "special" occasion. the parts are pretty much nothing of real interest, however the forks and the golden arrow seat post i found interesting as it has that "aero" thing happening. It was the shimano dropouts that really made it go from the gutter to the back of the Honda CRV. not sure what to make of the cable guides on the bb though- makes me think perhaps the 6th time i drive past it is when ive just put it back where i found it :wink:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/FmWSL9]Image

[url=https://flic.kr/p/FFc6Nr]Image

[url=https://flic.kr/p/FmWKr9]Image

[url=https://flic.kr/p/FM4azD]Image

[url=https://flic.kr/p/ERBKSW]Image

[url=https://flic.kr/p/FJLnJf]Image
steel is the real deal.

koshari

Postby koshari » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:27 pm

i think those fenders alone were worth the stop mark

mark field

Postby mark field » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:18 pm

koshari wrote:i think those fenders alone were worth the stop mark

unfortunately to my surprise i found they are made of plastic. :cry:
steel is the real deal.

munga

Postby munga » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:48 pm

..so hopefully they won't rattle like metal ones do.
there's nothing wrong with that bike that some wheels and a new chain and cable set wouldn't fix. good pickup.

metalrideroz

Postby metalrideroz » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:55 pm

That red bike is cool and well worth restoring.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:37 pm

mark field wrote:
koshari wrote:i think those fenders alone were worth the stop mark

unfortunately to my surprise i found they are made of plastic. :cry:

Well, if you don't want them I have a 70's Dawes Flambeau hanging out for red plastic mudguards :wink:

Richard

Return to “Retro biking”