Hard Rubbish/Flea market finds

mark field

Re: Hard Rubbish/Flea market finds

Postby mark field » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:17 am

WyvernRH wrote:
mark field wrote:
koshari wrote:i think those fenders alone were worth the stop mark

unfortunately to my surprise i found they are made of plastic. :cry:

Well, if you don't want them I have a 70's Dawes Flambeau hanging out for red plastic mudguards :wink:

Richard

you can come and grab the whole bike if your in Sydney.
steel is the real deal.

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:10 pm

Anything Tange 2 is worth it. Nice Japanese made sport tourer. Ideal pick up!

brokenbus

Re: Hard Rubbish/Flea market finds Coronado

Postby brokenbus » Sun May 22, 2016 7:45 pm

Found this on the kerb a week or so ago. Coronado. Has anyone heard of it. Forged dropout nice lugs. Thunderbird 2 Front derailleur Lark rear derailleur. Weinman 500 brakes. Mavic Open CD on 105 hubs were sitting next to it. Unfortunately the frame is bent. I wouldn't like to have been riding it as it looks like it hit pretty hard. Even bent the alloy bars. Had biopace crank on side and cheapo crank on the other. Will be parting out at budget prices soon

Rest of pics here http://s1228.photobucket.com/user/lizandnickgreen/story

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:34 pm

This morning I detoured on the way to drop off the littlest at preschool. Its kerbside cleanup time so it's what you do. On the way I spied an MTB sans seat and post. As I drove closer it appeared to be the normal repco/huffy steel rubbish. Bar ends? OK it's older then. When close enough I could read the brand name 'diamond back'. Combine bar ends with diamond back in the head and it's old enough to be when diamond back was sold by LBS not BigW. Went back once the littlest was dropped off, hopped out and found my best to date. Still not flash, but Diamond Back "Cairns" with UCI world cup logo on it and an STX rear derailleur. It's in the car now, and I'll have to give it a good look over later.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:11 pm

Nice find bychosis!

brokenbus, i'm sure i've heard of coronado before somewhere, not flash but decent quality from what i remember.
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:53 pm

I had a closer look at the 'cairns'. The running gear is a mix of Alivio cantilevers, acera cranks, STX rear mech and unknown front mech. It's in fair condition with a Cro-mo main frame and range forks. So it was an entry level proper MTB but nothing flash.

Turns out it's pretty small, too small for me. Probably need to pass it on.

bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

HappyHumber

Re: Hard Rubbish/Flea market finds Coronado

Postby HappyHumber » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:45 am

brokenbus wrote:Found this on the kerb a week or so ago. Coronado.

It's funny, just a few days ago I was parking my runabout at one of the local Consumers Paradise Shopping Centre bike racks, and there was a Coronado already parked there which caught my eye. It was interesting mix of parts... but I didn't have any reason to question it all as being factory/shop spec. It was a practical sort of Townie model, north road style bars, full guards and chain case. wider, long Caliper brakes with one of those bridge mounted handcuff style wheel locks. Must have had ~35-38mm tyres on it.

The most eye catching thing was it was its paint schema. All very colourful and splotchy. Not the same as, but similar style/era to the Mapei pro bikes. The geoemtry of the frame was def. more townie though as it was built. Stickers said Swiss made and Columbus Aelle tubing.

I'd heard the name before but couldn't place it. Definitely a little out of the ordinary in Aussie suburbia
- Kym
Infrequently reading & contributing these days. Still reachable by PM (email alerts) - dec 2016

mark field

Postby mark field » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:09 pm

found this one at St Ives, i drove past it in the morning and decided if it was still there when i got home later that night then it will come home with me- its for the best of course, the bike is in great condition however the frame has the tell tale signs of being painted under the wrong conditions-in that the paint has been laden with water vapour which then is trapped in the paint layer when drying. Hence the evenly mottled rust spots, of note is the matching seat and bar wrap which is a synthetic rubber, but is hand stiched like leather. ive not seen that before. The frame has some good detail here and there. Im not sure of the brand though.
ImagePhoto2462 by Mark Field, on Flickr

ImagePhoto2461 by Mark Field, on Flickr

ImagePhoto2460 by Mark Field, on Flickr

ImagePhoto2459 by Mark Field, on Flickr

ImagePhoto2458 by Mark Field, on Flickr

ImagePhoto2457 by Mark Field, on Flickr

ImagePhoto2456 by Mark Field, on Flickr

ImagePhoto2455 by Mark Field, on Flickr

ImagePhoto2454 by Mark Field, on Flickr

ImagePhoto2453 by Mark Field, on Flickr

ImagePhoto2452 by Mark Field, on Flickr
steel is the real deal.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:08 am

Don't know what it is, but looks incredibly similar to an I identified frame I have built into a fixie. http://bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=66080. What caught my eye was the champagne/brown coloured rear dropouts initially, then the lugs and components seem to be the same even down to the saddle and grips.

mark field

Postby mark field » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:40 pm

thanks for the link, im happy with this find only i would like a slightly smaller frame, the wheels are in great condition and with a good polish the wheels and components will come up a treat. im thinking of a mid blue frame with white seat/grips. So until a smaller frame is found this one will stay in one piece. The last find was parted out. im pretty fussy so things move very slowly with me.
steel is the real deal.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:55 am

Do you have a pic of the head tube badge Mark? I've been playing on google and found Carrera bikes were Italian and one of the owners had an Aussie connection. http://www.veloaficionado.com/blog/carrera-professional-cycling-team-giving-the-cold-shoulder-to-old-school-rules. Carrera-podium seems to be the modern version of the company. My frame has an english BB, which would seem to not match an Italian bike co, but given the running gear it's not that surprising.

mark field

Postby mark field » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:27 pm

It has a sticker that says Southern Cross Cycles. it must be the original decal as it is clear and there is no rust spots underneath the decal.
steel is the real deal.

drubie

Postby drubie » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:56 pm

mark field wrote:It has a sticker that says Southern Cross Cycles. it must be the original decal as it is clear and there is no rust spots underneath the decal.

I'm a bit late to this party, but that looks like a few bits don't match. The 600 headset is a later fix I think, the rest of the components and the braze-on cable guides on the bottom bracket scream out early 1980s Centurion-a-like to me (i.e. wouldn't be surprised if it's a product of the Europa guys badging something up for Carrera). Very similar to the same period Indi Hawk as well (same factory I think), typically you find the badged Europa's with bar-end shifters, heavier frames and set up for touring with racks/lights etc and the Indi Hawks with those Suntour shifters in that downtube pod. I do love them so, just for the robust quality of them.

Having said that, a few of my buddies have popped the seat stays on that era of Japanese frames so they do wear out eventually.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

mark field

Postby mark field » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:14 pm

Funny you mention Europa, I was planing to take the bike there as the shop is on the way to my work. I'm thinking of getting rid of those cable guides and run them underneath to clean it up a bit and make it look slightly better as I have a plastic cable guide that screws into the bottom bracket and I have the drill bits and a tap and die set to do it right however the rear derailleur cable guide nearest to the dropout would need to be moved underneath also, it's brazed on so that's a bit out of my league. Colour wise I'm thinking mid blue metallic and polish existing components but replace that headset with something more suitable. Standard replacement of the usual bits and finished off with white bar tape seat and cable outers. If anyone wants the matching seat and grip let me know.
steel is the real deal.

Thoglette

Gumtree Perth

Postby Thoglette » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:04 am

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/burswood ... 1122122256

No relationship, but for someone looking for a decent (big) bike this is pretty cheap if the photos are anything to go by
The owner wrote:Hey team, I have for sale this lovely old girl - an early 80s Clamont touring and/or racing bike built from quality Miyata double butted goodness. This was originally a Clamont 1500, which I've read is more or less a rebadged Miyata 1000, known to be a damn fine touring frame.

She is big - 58cm top tube and 63 seat tube.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

mark field

Postby mark field » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:45 pm

another find on the way home from work, All i know is it is a Raleigh, very heavy and appears to be all original except for the mirror and bell i think. i checked the rear hub for a year date but didnt find one. so im at a loss, my guess is perhaps mid to late 60's?
scraping away the yellow paint revealed a deep green metalic finish.
ImageIMAG0147 by Mark Field, on Flickr

ImageIMAG0144 by Mark Field, on Flickr

ImageIMAG0143 by Mark Field, on Flickr

ImageIMAG0142 by Mark Field, on Flickr
steel is the real deal.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:06 pm

60s would be my first guess just based on that fork crown, i don't know if they lasted into the 70s. Neat find, is that a drum brake in the hub?
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:28 pm

Found a Cycle Ops wind trainer today. Needs some work to free up rusted parts, and judging by the fluoro "Cycle Ops" paint it's probably late 80s, early 90s vintage.

Still, with the brand name it will probably find a buyer on eBay.

commando

Postby commando » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:07 am

What a find! Those "dimple" forks lasted well into the 70's, and if the shifter and SA cable routing are original, it's definitely 70's. But the pedals I think are more a 60's item. Too bad it's been painted, most likely a 'Sports' but the AB hub (Drum braked AW) throws it off a bit, could also be Dynamo hub (AG?). Great workhorse and cruiser, and that seat is a definite bonus, should clean up well if no rips in the leather.

mark field wrote:another find on the way home from work, All i know is it is a Raleigh, very heavy and appears to be all original except for the mirror and bell i think. i checked the rear hub for a year date but didnt find one. so im at a loss, my guess is perhaps mid to late 60's?
scraping away the yellow paint revealed a deep green metalic finish.
ImageIMAG0147 by Mark Field, on Flickr

ImageIMAG0144 by Mark Field, on Flickr

ImageIMAG0143 by Mark Field, on Flickr

ImageIMAG0142 by Mark Field, on Flickr

mark field

Postby mark field » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:41 am

ldrcycles wrote:60s would be my first guess just based on that fork crown, i don't know if they lasted into the 70s. Neat find, is that a drum brake in the hub?

Thanks, I would love to get in and restore this one. It's a three speed Sturmy Archer with a dyno for the light. I had a collection of over 20 S-A hubs once ranging from single to three and five speed, and they all had a date stamp but this one is missing one. The change lever makes me think that the hub is mid 70's.
steel is the real deal.

commando

Postby commando » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:43 am

mark field wrote: I had a collection of over 20 S-A hubs once ranging from single to three and five speed...

Had? Where'd they go? SA hubs are a bit of a thing for me, would love to build up something other than the usual AW/AB/AG.

Does this bike have a fork lock on the l/h side? Could possible be a Superbe.

mark field

Postby mark field » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:24 pm

commando wrote:
mark field wrote: I had a collection of over 20 S-A hubs once ranging from single to three and five speed...

Had? Where'd they go? SA hubs are a bit of a thing for me, would love to build up something other than the usual AW/AB/AG.

Does this bike have a fork lock on the l/h side? Could possible be a Superbe.

No fork lock.
steel is the real deal.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:55 am

$5 on fleabay, a willing family member to pick them up and a visit an hour away and...
Apollo Everest with full Deore LX
And little brother
Kosciusko.
Both a bit neglected and will need some TLC. but I'm looking forward to making the Everest my utility bike, replacing another old MTB I bought for $15.

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:57 am

This electric trike was on the side of the road near my place with a sign on it "Please take. Runs well."
I snatched it up for my Mum who is not ready for a mobility scooter but fancies she could ride one of these. Found out my neighbour owned it, so she showed me all its tricks.
Quite grunty, with a 36v Lion battery. 3 speed Nexus hub. Cockpit tilts independently of rear axle, and you can adjust the amount of tip.
Spent a few hours servicing it and have given it a couple of runs now. Not my cup of tea, but Mum will be stoked.
I am caring for her dog while she is away, so am training it to ride on the back.
Not a bad find!

Roinik

Postby Roinik » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:46 pm

commando wrote:What a find! Those "dimple" forks lasted well into the 70's, and if the shifter and SA cable routing are original, it's definitely 70's. But the pedals I think are more a 60's item. Too bad it's been painted, most likely a 'Sports' but the AB hub (Drum braked AW) throws it off a bit, could also be Dynamo hub (AG?). Great workhorse and cruiser, and that seat is a definite bonus, should clean up well if no rips in the leather.

The pedals are the same as those on my daughter's 1973 Raleigh Wayfarer. The stem is different to the Wayfarer and hers does not have the Dynohub rear drive (see the wires). Good find though.
You don't need the best kit, you just need the best attitude.

Return to “Retro biking”