cecil walker

vanbree

cecil walker

Postby vanbree » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:43 pm

Was listening to buy swap & sell when i heard of a cecil walker for sale, went and checked it out and at first i thought it was a hiten frame with cecil walker stickers. Until i saw those lugs!!

il padrone

Re: cecil walker

Postby il padrone » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:37 pm

That looks to be a quite old frame, from the 50s or even 40s. The seat tube decal has been retained and a crappy re-spray done around it. The other sticker on the upper seat tube and probably the down tube stickers are not original. My custom CW from 1981 has the down tube name hand painted on, a CW logo handpainted on the head tube, and CWs cut into the fork crown each side as well.

Very nice old frame that sadly has not got the original paint. Maybe worth looking at some research to recreate a typical pantwork and component set-up. Did you buy it?
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:01 am

I reckon Il_Padrone is on the money, this is probably a frame from the 40s/50s. The lugs on bikes from that period don't really mean much because they all had them.

The diameter of the seat post might give you some clues about frame quality though.

Cecil Walker Cycles are still in operation. It might be worthwhile visiting them to see if they've kept any old records.

Johnj

Postby Johnj » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:02 pm

The original Cecil Walker decal is the same as the one on the bike in this thread. Please ignore the 1936-39 date quoted on that thread, the BTM decal dates from the early 1950s.

An early 1950s Cecil Walker? Hope you bought it.

vanbree

Postby vanbree » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:48 pm

Yep i bought it, thought i'd show it with another frame that i had stripped. Both these frames had been stripped before so there was no original paint left apart from the cecil walker transfer.