Dick Tressider Find!

grantw

Re: Dick Tressider Find!

Postby grantw » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:51 am

This takes me back. My mates and I used to hang around his shop in Beaumont Street in Hamilton and pick up tips on how to soup up our dragsters and BMX bikes back in the day. He was very encouraging, even when we paid for cogs and chain links in 5 and 10 cent pieces.

The shop closed sometime in the 90's.

Rob74

Postby Rob74 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:18 pm

Dick Tresidder Cycles

Spent time in the "Dick Tresidder Cycles Shop" when I was growing up.

Dick was able to source replacement CrMo forks and also supplied Dick Tresidder Cycles transfers for My Malvern Star “2 Star” Rebuild with 600AX & Durace components circular 1990.

Noted
http://www.bicyclehistory.com.au/racing_results.htm

if you Search on Ncle you find the following:
1) =>> 1931 to 1950 – Distances varied from 62 Miles,(approx. 100 km) up to 125 Miles.(approx.200 km.) Some were Time Trials (TT) and others were Massed Start Scratch Races (MS) Pro.Champs were over 125 miles. thence 200 kilometres from 1972
(For Premiership Results after 1930 refer to separate Premiership Listing)
Winners Second Some Required Third Some Required Fourth SomeRecorded
1949 MS Tom Cleghorne Enf/Bur Dick Tressider Ncle Don Mathews
Pro( ) Don Lelliott Bktn Tom Williams Camp Vic Young W/Sub Les Cook Campsie

2) =>> N.S.W.TRACK SPRINT & TIME TRIAL CYCLING CHAMPIONSHIPS
Sprints 1000 metres of Match Race Conditions.
Time Trials of 1000 metres.
AMATEUR For sprint results previous to 1932 refer to a separate listing of Sprint type championships of 5 or 6 riders in each heat (usually with a repechage heat )and a final over distances of 1/4,1/3,1/2 1mile or 2 or even 3 miles PROF CHAMPS start from 1948
YEAR (with A.G.M. numbers for confirmation reference.)

1948 T/T Jim Beath Ncle R. Smith Pet.
65) Sprint CharlesBazzano M/ville, Neil Percival Enf/B, JimBeath N/cle.
Pro Sprint John Kohlenberg StGeorge, John Tresidder Ncle

1951 T/T Stan Daly Bktn, Roy Moore C/bury, Lionel Cox M/ville
(68) Sprint JohnTresidder, Ncle, CharlesBazzano M/ville, Lionel Cox M/ville
Pro Sprint Don Evans Lithgow

3) =>> NSW SENIOR TRACK CYCLING CHAMPIONSHIPS

Note From 1890 to 1918 Official NSW results are not available. (Any information welcome)

Pre 1914/18 World War results here listed have been sourced from seemingly reliable, press and magazine reports. We have included all available to us irrespective of competitor -‘amateur or professional’-status. (Past press results seldom indicated status) There have only been ‘some’ official results available from 1919 (in random Annual Reports we have acquired) The rest have come from press stories out of clipping books compiled by a few helpful competitors . This situation did not greatly improve until around 1960 All cycle racing in Australia became ‘Open entry’ after the 1993 merger of the Australian Amateur and the Australian Professional Cycling Bodies. As a result Australian ‘professional’ cyclists generally reside in other countries, wherever they can obtain some form of contractual appearances, and return to Australia for particular events, usually by invitation. However Cycle racing in New South Wales is strong despite a poor media interest & traffic driver attitude & against four football codes tennis, cricket, golf etc.

“Cycle Search” (Sid Freshwater OAM) 28/12/01.

Australian Championship winners pre 1987 are also contained in AMPOLS SPORTING RECORDS

TT: DalyStan Bktn MooreRoy C/bury CoxLionel M/v
Sprint: Tresidder John Ncle Bazzano Charles Cox Lionel
Mile: Cox Lionel M/villle, Pryor Peter Cant/Bury, Baker A
5 Miles: Moore Roy Higginbotham R Brown D
10 Miles Pryor Peter Daley Stan Mepham Roy
Tandem: Moore George-Murray A Roy Still/Peter Pryor (Same Result as 1950 ????) ?

I think the Shop Details were:
DICK TRESIDDER CYCLE CTR
145A BEAUMONT ST
HAMILTON
NSW 2303
ph 02 4961 5075
fax 02 4961 2995

Last Detail
http://www.bikedealer.com.au/bike-deale ... tradition/
Newcastle Herald Article Archive
Wednesday November 26, 2003

The Bicycle Shop Business has gone and is replaced by a swimwear shop.

Rob.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:00 pm

Rob74 wrote:Dick Tresidder Cycles
Spent time in the "Dick Tresidder Cycles Shop" when I was growing up.
Dick was able to source replacement CrMo forks and also supplied Dick Tresidder Cycles transfers for My Malvern Star “2 Star” Rebuild with 600AX & Durace components circular 1990.

<snip>

The Bicycle Shop Business has gone and is replaced by a swimwear shop.
Rob.
Thank you for all the info Rob, much appreciated! I too spent a fair bit of time in Dick's shop during the 80's and 90's when I worked for BHP. He was always helpful when trying to find that odd component or small part you needed. I now work opposite the shop (more or less) and was also a customer of the young bloke who bought the shop off of Dick's family. He didn't last long tho' and as you say, the old shop is now a swimwear boutique which as far as I can tell must be a tax writeoff for somebody as there never seem to be any customers....
Cheers
Richard

Andrew41

Postby Andrew41 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:55 pm

Hi, saw your post. I am married to Dick's daughter Janette. Audrey who worked in the Beaumont shop with Dick is still alive and healthy. next time she calls around i'll see if she can provide some background on the bike. I know when they sold the shop one of dicks racing bikes was hanging on display and went with the sale and it might be that one.

Andrew

munga

Postby munga » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:45 pm

WyvernRH wrote: There is an number '018' stamped into the underside of the Bottom Bracket at an angle, in addition to all the stuff Nervex felt necessary to cast/stamp into the shell. Frame number I'm assuming. I also wonder if Dick used the torch himself or bought in from somewhere (local or otherwise) and finished them off at the shop. I suspect the latter case is true. I do know other locals (Stead for example) did build frames and this has too many individual touches to be a mass-produced frame. It would have been special order from somewhere but maybe one of a short run?
Dunno, I'm going to have to hunt down someone who was around in the 60's in Newcastle but that is getting difficult a they all pass on. Do we have any 'long term' Novocastrians reading the forum?
i just picked up a Stead from a Mr N Robinson in Newcastle.

funky modern 700c cx wheelset is my own addition (waiting on new 27" gumwalls to arrive).

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:49 am

Wow, nice looking bike.
I first met Mr Stead at the shutdown sale of an old bike shop in Maitland (that was based in the old Maitland cinema believe it or not) The owner was a mate of his and was retiring, so they were swapping stories. Quite fascinating to listen to. I scored a couple of frames that day and was given permission to fossick thru the HUGE pile of 'unsellable rubbish' against the back wall of the cinema. The pile was massive, about 10 foot high and deep. I ended with a car boot full of working stuff, broken but fixable bits, spare parts and still left twice as much behind. (can't remember the retiring shop owners name now - anybody know?)
After that I was then a frequent visitor to Mr Steads 'new' shop in Beresfield (50/50 bikes and fishing gear) as my first job in Oz was with a local firm (Steggles if you must know) and had several long talks about the old days. He helped out with several projects with him producing stuff from the back of the shop like inch pitch chain and sprockets and second hand old bits that had come off various bikes 'that was too good to toss out but no-one wants this stuff now'.
No frames tho, they had all gone except his own personal items and I didn't think it appropriate to hint about him parting with those!
So take good care of that one and post some more pictures please Munga!
Cheers
Richard

Doaj

Postby Doaj » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:05 am

I am Richard Tresidders grandson, I know this is an old post but if anyone needs any info about him or his bicycles / verification of his actual bicycles he used in competitions I could be of assistance. Please PM me if you do!

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:10 am

Doaj wrote:I am Richard Tresidders grandson, I know this is an old post but if anyone needs any info about him or his bicycles / verification of his actual bicycles he used in competitions I could be of assistance. Please PM me if you do!
This thread just keeps getting better. So interesting to re-read it and keep these old memories alive.

I was captured by your brilliant interpretation of the original bike and offering your insight into the possible and probable reasons behind the build Richard. I wonder just how many cyclists of that broad era had to cobble together a competitive bike from economical components. It is also interesting that the frame was most probably a custom build. Then, this thread just went from strength to strength as memories of a great sporting family began to unfold. I am thirsty for more.

I'd love to visit the Newcastle Sporting Hall of Fame at the Newcastle Museum to see one of Dick's bikes.

speedywheels

Postby speedywheels » Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:19 pm

I recently found a Dick Tresidder track bike, maybe 1992? Serial No T921096?
It has four seat tube stickers :- Tange plain gauge tubes; Australian made; Supplied by Dick Tresidder and lastly Manufactured by Southcott Pty Ltd, Adelaide.