Europa / Abeni / Elan appreciation society

rkelsen

Re: Europa / Abeni / Elan appreciation society

Postby rkelsen » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:15 am

spirito wrote:It's usually cryptic like that :lol:

One day I'll get to the bottom of all this ...
Sounds like you need to sit the man down and hit him with 3 or 4 of shots of Remy Martin... and then start asking questions... :wink:

drubie

Postby drubie » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:10 am

rkelsen wrote:
spirito wrote:It's usually cryptic like that :lol:

One day I'll get to the bottom of all this ...
Sounds like you need to sit the man down and hit him with 3 or 4 of shots of Remy Martin... and then start asking questions... :wink:
Oooh. I'll bring the cognac and listen in.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:42 pm

Most of the tecnotrat Europas were either Falck or Oria.8 PG cromo.The one I had was Oria.

drubie

Postby drubie » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:21 pm

brauluver wrote:Most of the tecnotrat Europas were either Falck or Oria.8 PG cromo.The one I had was Oria.
The one in member to member at the moment, is it falk? Should buy it I suppose but too many projects and not enough time or cash at the moment.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding

munga

Postby munga » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:45 pm

as far as i can tell, the oria frames have fancier lugs with heart-ish cutouts; the falcks are simpler (i have an oria frame)

drubie

Postby drubie » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:58 pm

The Sanyo Dynapower on the Europa...LIVES!

I couldn't work out how to engage it on the tyre, so I pulled it apart. The tension spring was broken. I uncurled a bit more of the spring and tossed it back in (took a while to work out which way it went). Little lever goes click-click like it sounds it should, dynamo barrel is held onto the tyre by spring tension. Had to move the back wheel forward a little in the dropouts but there's plenty of room.

Front light is a go, back light has a dead bulb and a missing reflector. No matter, I'll use some super flashes back there I think.

I am a little amazed at just how much light is thrown out by that setup - I always had the impression that dynamo lights were feeble. I mean, it's no NiteRider MiNewt, but it looks pretty useable. I shall leave it on for giggles and because I like the look of it (while, of course, using the MiNewt too)

drubie

Postby drubie » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:17 pm

New tyres and a fresh bar tape job.

I'm disappoint. There's not enough to do on this bike - it's just too well mechanically preserved if you ignore the scratches all over the frame. However, it did take me an hour and a half to remove the old cloth tape from the bars. Yuck - stinky, sticky old cloth tape that was half rotten and half smelled like the changing room at high school. You can really see the wacky shape of the Sakae Randonneurs in that photo - they look strange but sitting a little upright and with decent tape on them they are very comfortable. Did a little cable replacement, some cable re-routing and shortened (and lowered) the gear cables so they don't interfere when you are in the drops. They work really well now. Put a little extra tape on the hoods until my new lever hoods arrive. Ended up removing the bubbled old ones with a stanley blade - they were stuck to everything, crystallised in places and mush in others. Not a pleasant job.

I said I was gonna go leather, gumwalls etc. but I changed my mind. I want the bike to be useable so I bought the bargain basement "cork" tape and tossed the Kashimax turbo clone saddle in favour of a WTB unit had gathering dust. It isn't pretty but works fine in a relatively upright situation. It's temporary. I know - wiggle will sell you a Brooks B17 with free shipping for under $90 at the moment but baby needs a new pair of shoes (correction, Orbea needs a dog fang to stop the bastard dropping it's chain). Plus I spent my saddle money on a full set of Park tools cone wrenches instead.

Tyres: LBS recommended Vee Rubber. The Panaracer gumwalls are $75 each if I bought them locally. The gumwalls he had were only rated to 60psi, looked awful, he didn't like 'em and said cycle path / road king only, not for commuting on. The Vee Rubber tyres are black, but seem well made (they are at least round and not too heavy) and rated to 90psi. They roll surprisingly well at $20 each. Still waiting on some brake hoods from Ebay (labelled cane creek but who cares) and I need to do something about the lighting as the dynapower spring hack didn't last very long.

dangerous

Postby dangerous » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:17 am

I have a white Europa in my back shed. I bought it second had back in 1988 for $800 to replace the K-Mart bike.

Rode it for two years then retired it to the shed.

I'd actually forgotten about it until I read this thread. Well, I know it's there but didn't give it much thought. Got too many other bike projects

I wonder what it looks like now - dusty I'd say. I'll take a photo.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:53 am

drubie wrote: Tyres: LBS recommended Vee Rubber. The Panaracer gumwalls are $75 each if I bought them locally. The gumwalls he had were only rated to 60psi, looked awful, he didn't like 'em and said cycle path / road king only, not for commuting on. The Vee Rubber tyres are black, but seem well made (they are at least round and not too heavy) and rated to 90psi. They roll surprisingly well at $20 each.
I know the deep respect you have for the 'Taterskins, but: Taterskins 27 x 1 1/4. Although they make the $20 Vee Rubber's look like a good buy in comparison.

I'm kinda jealous, cause my front barcon is missing the central bolt, therefore is toast. That'd give me a big 2 x 6!

Jim

drubie

Postby drubie » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:01 pm

The bolts don't seem like they are anything special familyguy, although the Suntour ones on this bike have a little locking screw on them as well. I can have a rummage in my junk collection and maybe cobble up something that'll fit if you like.

The brown rubber "cane creek" hoods arrived and have been fitted and my wife informs me that an el-cheapo Cell rack top / pannier set turned up today (er whoops!). Then this bike will be finished. I love riding it, I am seriously enjoying the relaxed seating position, the bars feel beautiful with fresh tape on them and you really appreciate the randonneur bends. It feels little slower (if anything) than a racing bike - makes the ego 500 a doddle.

I wouldn't swap those Vee tyres for a taterskin in a pink fit though :P

drubie

Postby drubie » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:39 pm

m-wave pannier / rack top set from cell: $39. Rain cover is coming from china at some stage.

still missing a front fender.

dangerous

Postby dangerous » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:38 pm

Nice one drubie,

looks like a real comfy ride. Good job on the bar tape too, and a better choice than leather if you are going to ride it.

We were talking about this thread today and my husband said he knew John Abeni back in the 80's. Apparently he hasn't changed, a man of very few words, so don't hold your breath waiting for information.

drubie

Postby drubie » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:43 am

dangerous wrote:.
looks like a real comfy ride. Good job on the bar tape too, and a better choice than leather if you are going to ride it.
It is comfy other than the WTB seat, which is rubbish. Too soft and too wide in the wrong places. I'm trying to work out how to replace the cover on the Kashimax that came with it. A decent piece of stretched leather should do it, suitably stapled underneath. Ordinarily I wouldn't bother but if the brand is mentioned on Sheldon I'm determined to keep it. The cork tape is bargain basement stuff from the LBS but worked out well. Only took 6 bikes to work out how to do it :oops:

How did your husband know Abeni - did he have some association with Europa cycles?

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:53 am

drubie wrote:It is comfy other than the WTB seat, which is rubbish. Too soft and too wide in the wrong places.
I knew I sold it for a good reason... 8)
drubie wrote:I'm trying to work out how to replace the cover on the Kashimax that came with it. A decent piece of stretched leather should do it, suitably stapled underneath.
I'm going through the motions of recovering a seat at the moment. Its hard finding suitable leather or fabric. I've heard that vehicle headlining is quite usable, if its the proper texture. Just enough give and stretch. Or thin leather. Quick trip to the local upholstery workshop?

Jim

drubie

Postby drubie » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:42 am

familyguy wrote: I knew I sold it for a good reason... 8)
Ha ha - it's the third bike I've tried it on - I mean it looks nice, and it's in good nick, but for some reason it hurts my adductor muscles during a seated climb. I'm going to try it on an upright bike with flat bars next.
familyguy wrote: I'm going through the motions of recovering a seat at the moment. Its hard finding suitable leather or fabric. I've heard that vehicle headlining is quite usable, if its the proper texture. Just enough give and stretch. Or thin leather. Quick trip to the local upholstery workshop?
I'm thinking the same thing - I did have a piece of stretchy black vinyl from another project but I'm damned if I can find it in my shed, and I'd prefer some leather maybe like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/A-1-UPHOLSTERY-L ... 5195cb5124

dangerous

Postby dangerous » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:20 am

Only took 6 bikes to work out how to do it :oops:

How did your husband know Abeni - did he have some association with Europa cycles?

Six bikes probably isn't too bad, it takes some know-how to get it right. We don't even attempt putting on tape, leave it to the experts. We use a mechanic from Blackmans who has 50 years experience ( WOW ), needless to say he knows how to put on tape. He did say the Brooks leather is more challenging than the rest. Really hope he doesn't retire anytime soon, many of the new guys have never seen a vintage bike.

Hubby was a customer and had John work on his bikes back then. We still have one of them which John built up back in 1985, a silver ALAN aluminum. It was hanging in the back shed for many years with my Europa until we pulled it out last year and restored it to good health. It came up so beautifully we decided to make it display bike in the house and it sparked an interest in vintage bikes. There are some really nice old bikes out there.

drubie

Postby drubie » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:55 am

dangerous wrote: Hubby was a customer and had John work on his bikes back then. We still have one of them which John built up back in 1985, a silver ALAN aluminum.
Pictures please.

dangerous

Postby dangerous » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:27 pm

Which bike, actually I don't have any of the Europa yet, so here is the 1985 ALAN Super Record.

Tried to post a photo but looks like I'm still a newbie

here is a link

http://image83.webshots.com/83/7/26/88/ ... yQj_fs.jpg

drubie

Postby drubie » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:59 pm

403 FORBIDDEN!!!

Might need to give extra permissions and you are required to take photos of the Europa before and after cleanup to make the Europa appreciation thread the bestest appreciation thread of all and put the Repco one in it's place.

dangerous

Postby dangerous » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:23 pm

okay, try again. I think I've got the hang of it.

drubie

Postby drubie » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:38 pm

Dammit, no drool smiley. That thing is beautiful. :mrgreen:

dangerous

Postby dangerous » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:24 pm

Thanks drubie, yes it definitely is a keeper. Not sure about the next one though!

dangerous

Postby dangerous » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:50 pm

EUROPA OUTED AFTER 20 YEARS

Bought second hand in 1988, ridden for two years, banished to the shed 1990, outed yesterday.

home for 20 years

Not too bad from a distance

I used to look good!!!!!

Rest of the photos at - http://sports.webshots.com/album/578872715GgeXDc

drubie

Postby drubie » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:54 am

Mmmm. Falck technotrat frame? Nice looking parts on it, why isn't it getting ridden? Quick wipe over with a chux and it'll be good to go!

dangerous

Postby dangerous » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:39 pm

why isn't it getting ridden?
Short answer - life moved on. plus we have a few bikes to choose from so it stayed in the shed.

I've cleaned it up and it looks surprisingly great. Pretty sure I can get all the rust off - polishing is my thing.

Bit of lube and everything still works, only the rear tyre doesn't hold air.

I'm going to stick a spare one on the back and go for a careful spin.

Won't take much to get her back on the road.

Any idea of the year model. The decals suggest a later Europa and when I bought it in 1988 it seemed fairly new.

Perhaps someone will know.