Europa / Abeni / Elan appreciation society

mark field

Re: Europa / Abeni / Elan appreciation society

Postby mark field » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:28 pm

perhaps just a "phase" its going through and is waiting for someone to bring it back to where it needs to be. looks rather large which could deter a lot of interest, then again that could be the thing that sells it.
steel is the real deal.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:09 pm

Yeah, we'll see. Its not neutered as far as braze-ons, so someone could re-roadify/tourify it. 61cm, which limits buyers, but the big ones are rare, so interest is usually high enough. I dont need it, cant keep it, need funds, need room, (n+1)-2, etc, etc, etc.

Jim

munga

Postby munga » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:49 pm

just found this snippet, written in '06 by "oldsprinter", residing in Tokyo at the time.
talks about the photo featuring 4 pursuit riders on the europa's
First, the bicycles in the team pursuit picture with Ken Evans stickers on were not made by Ken Evans, he merely paid for the right to advertise. The frames were made by Bryan Hayes (the maker of Euro frames). Hayes also made Europa frames from the late 1970s to 1984 and put some Europa stickers on later models up to 1989.

That picture is not taken at the 1984 Olympics, it is from about 1988 and it's not from an Olympics. Lead rider looks like Brett Dutton, second is Scott McGrory, third is Dean Woods. I would hazard a guess that the final rider is Darren Winter.

From memory, the handlebars used on those bikes were 3T (or 'ttt' as they were marked back then).

Bryan Hayes now works with Sal Sansonetti on BT frames.

Deathhare, Australian track frames are fairly easy to get hold of because in Australia the road season grinds to a halt in mid-summer (except for the Tour Down Under) - which means if you want to race all year round you need a track bike.

This guy has some fine old Australian track bikes for sale - mostly South Australian brands - Super Elliot, Christophe and the entry-level Macini. www.collectablecycles.com

Pics of my old but much loved (and raced) 1986 Euro here http://tvvas.blogspot.com/2007/04/my-bike.html#links now used for riding to work in Tokyo. Gets a few couriers scratching their heads when they see the stickers.

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:46 pm

drubie wrote:Tyres: LBS recommended Vee Rubber. The Panaracer gumwalls are $75 each if I bought them locally. The gumwalls he had were only rated to 60psi, looked awful, he didn't like 'em and said cycle path / road king only, not for commuting on. The Vee Rubber tyres are black, but seem well made (they are at least round and not too heavy) and rated to 90psi. They roll surprisingly well at $20 each.
The Vee Rubber Tyres are cheap and surprisingly good! I fitted a pair of the block-tread 27" x 1-1/4" tyres to my Raleigh Royal Tourer and rode down Wombeyan Caves Road on them. They're a bit softer, but when you're riding on unsealed roads this is a good thing. I have to say though that 32mm tyres on Wombeyan caves road doesn't make for the most comfortable ride, even when you've got a Brooks Flyer and nice thick padded bar tape!
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

lowercasev

Postby lowercasev » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:11 pm

I think im in love

Introducing my new project:

1991 Élan triathlon bike

I'm getting ready to pimp it out - I have lime green Vittoria Rubino''s on order from the LBS, and a San Marco Concor in green on the way too!

Any suggestions on more things to pimp?

More pics to come. :)

jbchybridrider

Postby jbchybridrider » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:21 pm

Nice buy Lowercase I was watching this bike on flebay but the sellers photo was pretty crap. The half dismantled pic you put up actually shows the components and how good the bike is.
Now I regret not bidding, the frame colors are a bit out there but nice buy.

lowercasev

Postby lowercasev » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:48 pm

I am pretty happy with my purchase! Although, it cost me more to ship the bike over than what i payed for it!

It is in pretty good condition in general. The decals are a little scuffed, and there are a lot of chips in the paint work (when you look up close). The cables are rusty, so i will replace them too.

I'm probably spending more on the bike in accessories and bringing it back to its former glory than it is actually worth - but who can put a price on beauty?

I kind of like the colours, hard to match green with my new concor seat - but it'll do!

lowercasev

Postby lowercasev » Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:10 pm

Latest editions: new tyres and San Marco Concor saddle

Next: replace black cables with yellow, yellow db cage, silver clpless pedals and a hot pink cycle computer!

Elan by Lowercasev, on Flickr
Elan by Lowercasev, on Flickr
Last edited by lowercasev on Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:48 am, edited 3 times in total.

jbchybridrider

Postby jbchybridrider » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:05 pm

Pic's did'nt work :? or bigpond is playing games again :evil:

:mrgreen:

lowercasev

Postby lowercasev » Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:31 am

My mistake... shomehow they only show on my ipad. I'll fix it soon.

drubie

Postby drubie » Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:46 pm

lowercasev wrote:My mistake... shomehow they only show on my ipad. I'll fix it soon.
Any chance of a shot of the head badge? The Elan stickers are similar to mine but that bike looks like it's got less od them and a different head tube decal.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

lowercasev

Postby lowercasev » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:00 am

drubie wrote:
lowercasev wrote:My mistake... shomehow they only show on my ipad. I'll fix it soon.
Any chance of a shot of the head badge? The Elan stickers are similar to mine but that bike looks like it's got less od them and a different head tube decal.
Hey Drubie - here you go:
Sticker front (same as seat post) by Lowercasev, on Flickr
Bar sticker by Lowercasev, on Flickr
:D Hope it helps you!
What do you think of the bike - I'm trying to think of a name for her..

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:05 pm

lowercasev wrote:What do you think of the bike - I'm trying to think of a name for her..
How 'bout Lou:

drubie

Postby drubie » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:13 pm

lowercasev wrote:r
:D Hope it helps you!
What do you think of the bike - I'm trying to think of a name for her..
I think it's nice - you've got guard braze-ons and a different treatment to the seat stays to my bike though which has no guard provision whatsoever and much less clearance between the tyre and the seat tube. The head badge is interesting, mine has a butchered "cycles ultima" head badge that has a tiny "elan" placed over the wording underneath the generic spade logo that you usually see on Cycles Ultima badged bikes.

...so seeing a bespoke elan head badge is something of a novelty.

As for names, the colour scheme reminds me of Milli Vanilli (not trying to insult you) or maybe Wham! The Flouro decade has a lot to answer for, but it's certainly distinctive and it'd be a shame to modernise it too much.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:29 am

Wondered if anyone might be able to help me identify (a bit more) my europa. I know its probably low end and hi-ten, but it has nice lug work on the head tube so it will be my commuter and one day get a respray. I whacked on some current 700c wheels as I didn't have a 27" tyre, tuned and lubed and it rides nicely. I cant find a serial number on it. I have identified both derailleurs, both Suntour from 1973 and the brakes are Shimano Tourney, havent found a date code yet. The Sugino Cranks are stamped C4, possibly 1983. The rims on it were alloy 27". There is a good chance parts are not original as the bike came from a bike shop owner, unfortunately I didn't have time to ask him more history.
Some pics that might help, 2 taken on the commute this morning. Please excuse the MTB pedals, some more appropriate ones on the way.

bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:37 am

bychosis wrote:
I don't think the frame would be hi-ten, the lugs look to nice. What is the diameter of the seat post?

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:06 am

singlespeedscott wrote: I don't think the frame would be hi-ten, the lugs look to nice. What is the diameter of the seat post?
The seat post is 25.4 according to my cheap plastic verniers. The lugs at the top of the seat tube are similar, the lugs at the bottom bracket are normal-straight if that helps. The main reason I thought low end was the lack of derailleur hanger, but maybe that doesn't count for bikes matching the date of the derailleurs,1973. I'm new at this old bike game and am basing my opinions on the sticky thread on 80s bikes.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:09 pm

bychosis wrote:
singlespeedscott wrote: I don't think the frame would be hi-ten, the lugs look to nice. What is the diameter of the seat post?
The seat post is 25.4.
At 25.4 it must be hi-ten.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:26 pm

Its pretty heavy too. Any thoughts on age?

utedeej

Postby utedeej » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:39 pm

Here's my Abeni. No distinguishing stickers, but the guy i bought it off used to ride track and bought it new in the early 80s. It's got Dura Ace 32 hole (i think, could be 36) tubulars and SR Royal Cranks. 3TTT stem with Cinelli bars. Also came with two pairs of Campagnolo track wheels, a 32 hole pair and a 36 hole pair. It think i will do it up with the Japanese wheels.

I'll get the decals off Cyclomondo to do her up later this year. Will also do a new paint job, same colour as original and relign the lugs in gold like he used to have it. I've bought a couple of tubluars and glue and will give them a crack too. Have to clean the old glue up off the rims though.

It is a 57 c-c seat tube and 54 c-c top tube. I'm hoping to take her for a few spins around the old style track that they've got out at Queanbeyan once i'm finished. I think i'll have to sell the other track frame that i've got to fund her though, it's an old Carl Wilson, 56/55 size that i had powdercoated years ago.

Cheers

David

spirito

Postby spirito » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:36 pm

bychosis wrote:

Hard to say for sure without seeing it in person but you may have a mid/low level Carlton/Raleigh Grand Prix or Super Course (not sure which one) from the earl 70's. Could even be earlier but not as likely as the parts indicate the a later build era on this one and they likely look original. The Capella lugs were a Carlton feature from the late 50's to mid 60's, and after that were used up as left over lugs for the Raleigh family frames to use up the old stock. Plenty of bikes were stickered as Europa's when they were traded in and resold (common for most bike shops). That's my $0.02c worth of hunch. The best bet would be to compare the seat stay caps and also the way the stays and fork ends are finished as well as serial numbers if present.

http://marksbikes.wordpress.com/2011/05 ... er-course/
http://www.carltoncycles.me.uk/details/lugwork-p.htm
http://www.flickr.com/photos/74418119@N00/2186967053/
Cranky Jim wrote: God did not invent gears. Men invented gears ... because we are not gods.

utedeej

Postby utedeej » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:49 pm

Was just doing a bit of browsing on the forum and found that John Abeni was one of the guys who started Technicomps. My first mountain bike was a steel Europa and my first good bike was a Technicomps mountain bike, which i've still got it.

Looks like i might be on the Abeni bandwagon now that i've got the track bike too. I think i'll have to keep an eye out for a nice Abeni road frame to add to the horde.

TOOMB

Postby TOOMB » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:24 pm

I've listed my Abeni SuperRecord on ebay in case anyone here is interested :)

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:01 pm

TOOMB wrote:I've listed my Abeni SuperRecord on ebay in case anyone here is interested :)
Nah, low end clunkers from 5 posts noobs who come here to ask questions and then tout their bikes for salewithout contributing anything else are not that popular. I think you misplaced the decimal point in your price too. Should read 99c.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:09 pm

Double demerit points for using the "f" word. :P