Idiots guide to salvaged 80s roadies

Kronos

Re: Idiots guide to salvaged 80s roadies

Postby Kronos » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:47 pm

bychosis wrote:Don't think you understand fixed gear. BMX has never been fixed, single speed yes, fixed no. Fixed has no freewheel, no coasting, no freewheel. An adult on a fixed gear BMX wouldn't be a fun experience either knees around the ears or standing up and full time pedalling? No thanks. BMX is not meant for that anyway.

As for bad situations, grabbing a few gears and mashing the pedals, that sounds like a recipe for a damaged drivetrain. I've done it on a MTB equipped with indexed trigger shifters - bent the chain, had to get a lift.

Hmmm... Well I don't think you've ever ridden an old school BMX bike which is reliant upon back pedaling for brakes with no free wheeling. Stupid and dangerous contraptions by today's standards but we're not talking about bikes prior to the 1980s very often these days in the BMX scene.

As to mashing the pedals, on a downhill slope one does what one has to do to cross across a bike lane where one has right of way in said situation but where the driver in question is completely oblivious to your existence. At speed I am no more likely to damage the drivetrain. In fact at those kinds of speed where you can't grab enough initial rotations of the cog on a bike you're likely to break your knees first before you're likely to break the bike. But one does what they have to, to increase the rolling inertia and get past a dangerous situation.

baabaa wrote:Have you even seen downtube or bar end shifters?
In both friction and also when in index you can shift from the smallest to largest cog or from the largest to smallest in one push or pull action. You don’t need to click,,,, click,,,,,, click,,,,,. Not sure how they slow the shifting process down. And yes as bychosis points out why would anyone want to mash gears like that anyway?
Can you please post a link or an image of a fixed gear BMX ? (Preferably in use and say a BMX race)
Oh and single speed mountain biking (with a BMX freewheel) is really quite a bit of fun but I am guessing you will have a solid opinion on that as well so anyone who does it should just stop it now?

I have a set on a spare frame I've been using for parts at the moment, non-ridable condition. I haven't actually ridden a down tube shift bike in a number of years now because I haven't seen the point. The exact mechanics of anything tend to fall out of your head if you haven't ridden one in a while but have a habit of actually coming back from muscle memory once your on one.

EDIT: going through the motions seems to suggest they go click, click, click, rather than click once and shift through a whole crankset as you can with Double Taps.
Last edited by Kronos on Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:15 pm

I think this thread has lost direction, is supposedly to provide guidance and a source of knowledge for people considering an 80s road bike. There are other places to debate the merits of MTB and BMX riding, and there are entire threads devoted to FG/SS riding.So before this deteriorates even further, maybe we just need to get back on track, and correct some of the stuff that's been thrown around.
Mmm, SunTour

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:33 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:I think this thread has lost direction, is supposedly to provide guidance and a source of knowledge for people considering an 80s road bike. There are other places to debate the merits of MTB and BMX riding, and there are entire threads devoted to FG/SS riding.So before this deteriorates even further, maybe we just need to get back on track, and correct some of the stuff that's been thrown around.

I kind of suggested that a long while ago now, but people would rather ping me for suggesting you'd get a safer more comfortable ride with a modern group set.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:09 pm

Kronos wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:
Kronos wrote:
(Fixies) are (in my own thoughts) deservedly the second-most castigated form of cycle transport after unicycles when they're not being used for their intended purpose.

Kronos, I have to ask:

Unicycles? castigated? Seriously I have no idea what you are talking about.

I have my understandings of dumb methods of transports others have there's, I don't want to come off as a knob so I'll leave it at that.

Your comment seriously did confuse me. Your reply clarifies that what you really meant was that a unicycle is an absurd form of transport. No offence, it IS an absurd way to get about. :mrgreen:

It can't really be castigated much. Just as sunbathing in the antarctic is not castigated as a stupid way of sunbathing. Neither is on the radar of enough people.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:23 pm

Kronos wrote:
Stem shifters generally indicate a junker / fixie candidate.

Where your shifters are located doesn't really matter as such. By modern standards downtube shifters are junk. You will most likely be deleting the shifters and replacing them with something more modern such as brifters, or in my case double tap brifters which make the bike I ride awesome because of the modern creature comforts.

Whilst shifters can be positioned anywhere on the bike, bikes with stem shifters were generally considered cheaper as they were found on all the gas pipe frames in the 70s/80s, as stated by bychosis already.

By modern standards, I would not call down tube shifters junk. Friction and indexed shifters all work as well as integrated levers, although integrated levers are just more conveniently placed so that you don't have to move your hands away from the bars. Sure if you like integrated levers, then by all means use them, but don't go around telling everyone that down tube shifters are junk.

Kronos wrote:A fixie is a perfectly good waste of a bike frame. Fixies are for kooks... If you want to ride one gear then just leave your bike in one gear.

As said by P!N20, as long as they dont go cutting stuff off a good frame, then there is nothing wrong with making a frame into a fixie build. Although I wouldn't really ride fixed on the streets, there's no need to call them kooks.

Kronos wrote:I just threw out the gears and Shimano RSX STI groupset from a Giant steel bike.

Don't really worry about any of the running gear. You're going to throw this out. 90s steel bikes are much more accessible and can be made to fit just about any current groupset with some effort by the owner. Don't worry about rebuilding old groupsets even Shimano Soara groupsets will be better than anything that was on the bike. Switch to modern brifters, you will love yourself for so much longer.

Throwing out a set of first generation integrated levers because they don't work is a waste to me. Once serviced, they work as well as any modern groupset. Of course the modern stuff have made improvements particularly in braking performance, but I have not really felt that the older groupsets are lacking.

Kronos wrote:The bike in question I'm riding mostly at the moment is nothing particularly special but its the sum of all the parts. Putting a new SRAM groupset on it makes it a fun, modern bike. No more no less.

This all that matters. A way a person chooses to build their bike is their own personal choice. Some are into retro bikes to build bikes as they were when new, and others like yourself want to put a modern group on a retro frame. You posting about how everyone must throw away the old parts and replace them with modern parts is as if it is the only way to build a bike.
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

darker

Postby darker » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:48 pm

I got given this Lennie Rogers bike as a gift the other day. My mate built this up in the 80's but the frame 1950's or 60's I think. Curious about your thoughts?

https://imgur.com/gallery/fBRu3/comment/1196161619

Bike weighs 8.7kgs
Reynolds 531 ?
Shimano 600 cranks
shimano 500 RD
shimano 600 FD
Mavic monthly wheels
Weinman levers/calipers

Cheers