Idiots guide to salvaged 80s roadies

Wal42

Re: Idiots guide to salvaged 80s roadies

Postby Wal42 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:36 pm

Rear derailleur is 1989 model, front derailleur is 1988 model, I cant remember if they label the cranks with the same serial coding, but if they did the cranks are 1976, since they didn't do Edge until the mid to late 80's I'd guess the cranks aren't 70's, I'd hazard a guess that the gruppo is probably the standard ones (considering it's all Suntour 4000 series Edge) so I'd date the bike as around '89 or probably very early 90's.

repcollector

Postby repcollector » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:18 am

Zynster wrote:I bought this bike recently from a guy who claimed it was a Repco Victory Tri A. The owner said he bought it new in the late 80s and it was originally maroon in colour (that was before the incredibly amateurish paint job). He also had custom wheels made. He used to race in triathlons, but the bike had sat unused for a long time and was in pretty bad shape when I picked it up.

Now a couple of friends have looked at it and don't think it is a Repco Victory Tri A. It certainly doesn't look like ones I've seen. That said it is pretty light (10.5kg) and looks to be a racing frame rather than a touring frame.
Hi Zynster, saw this post a while back too and I'm seeing some Victory tri-a similarities here. Like others have mentioned it's def worth putting some time into. I think Wal42 has zoned in pretty close with the diag and the resto advice! Personally I'm thinking the original seller was actually spot on, it looks very very much like an original 89-90 Victory - sans wheels and paint!

Suntour 4050 edge gruppo / dia compe "edge" brakes
Accushift '7' speed shifter (series 1 shape)
"strong" seatpost 26.4mm
seat stay
under-slung cable guides on top tube - bias left
1/2 filled dropouts
Pump nipple
Unicrown
Ovaltech rings 52-42 (standard)
2nd set of bottle mounts (post 1988 tri-a)
Sakae stem and bars
10.7 kg here....

lots of boxes ticked!

some similar piccies in original coats (2 bikes to compare)

bike #2

#1 original rings

#1 "Accushift" 7 spd 1989

#2 "Accushift plus" 7 spd 1990

#1&2

#1&2

Hope this helps

cheers, Andrew

Zynster

Postby Zynster » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:37 am

Thanks Andrew. That looks like a total match. The guy I bought it off wasn't on crack after all. :lol:
And thanks Wal for your Suntour expertise.
I'm gonna ride it for the time being and look at some new paint further down the track.
Fausto Coppi Reparto Corse | Giant Farrago Cross

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Fri May 24, 2013 8:07 am

Yeah it is 100% Giant built from that era. Serial # confirms it. Olympic 12's are nicer as they don't have an ugly unicrown fork.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Fri May 24, 2013 10:14 am

BRLVR.v2 wrote:Yeah it is 100% Giant built from that era. Serial # confirms it. Olympic 12's are nicer as they don't have an ugly unicrown fork.
Olympic 12s are a few years older though. The Olympic 14 (same age as the Tri-A pictured) also had a unicrown.

Don't get me wrong. I love the Olympic 12. The one which had the 'yellow over white' paint option is probably my favourite Repco of all time. It has some great frame characteristics, not the least of which is availability in proper racing geometry. And they take a modern groupset without too much effort.

Kermit TF

Postby Kermit TF » Sun May 26, 2013 8:28 pm

Scored this "made in Canberra" circa mid 80s Spokesman about a month ago. ($40 !! :wink: )
Ive never seen tripple- wheeled derailleurs in the flesh before, the chainwheel is also a tripple. Interesting mix..
Also, can someone tell me if they can view the entire bike in the first pic...on my ipad, it chops 1/3 off all the pics I upload..the entire bike should be visible :roll:

When in doubt......mumble.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun May 26, 2013 9:04 pm

Yep it's cutting off on my screen too, but I can see enough to know I like it, good score :) .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

munga

Postby munga » Sun May 26, 2013 9:10 pm

ctrl scroll-wheel.

it's the width of the page that's the issue, not the pic.

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:44 pm

Kermit TF wrote:Scored this "made in Canberra" circa mid 80s Spokesman about a month ago. ($40 !! :wink: )
Ive never seen tripple- wheeled derailleurs in the flesh before, the chainwheel is also a tripple. Interesting mix..
I read somewhere that the triple wheel derailleur was actually a wonderful innovation, as it prevented the chain slap issues that longer cage derailleurs suffered from while taking up the same amount of slack. Fell victim to bad marketing, as many Suntour innovations did.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:33 pm

LugNut wrote: I read somewhere that the triple wheel derailleur was actually a wonderful innovation, as it prevented the chain slap issues that longer cage derailleurs suffered from while taking up the same amount of slack. Fell victim to bad marketing, as many Suntour innovations did.
Yup, technically a great idea. Gave you heaps of chain take up, no slap and great cage to ground clearance! But.... as you say the marketing failed miserably and so they were woefully untrendy. See the comments on the Disraeli Gears website, pretty typical of what went on at the time. Didn't matter it worked better, it wasn't cool. Even tourists, normally the bastion of the functional vs the trendy scorned it, possibly due to everyone being dazzled by the onset of working indexing in the Shimano world.
Cheers
Richard
PS also very useful on small wheel bikes like Moultons and Birdys

gbannerman

Postby gbannerman » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:25 am

For Pushies Galore in Brisbane this year we're doing a 70s/80s road build-up comp. Might be up a few alleys. More details up here: Pushies Galore Build-Off

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:52 pm

I've got an old Malvern Star Speed 12 in the shed that would be perfect for this :) .

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:16 am

gbannerman wrote:For Pushies Galore in Brisbane this year we're doing a 70s/80s road build-up comp. Might be up a few alleys. More details up here: Pushies Galore Build-Off
Sounds like fun.

grantw

Postby grantw » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:19 am

Hmm, I've got an old Raleigh Medale 12 in the shed...

maccayak

Postby maccayak » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:49 pm

rkelsen wrote:
BRLVR.v2 wrote:Yeah it is 100% Giant built from that era. Serial # confirms it. Olympic 12's are nicer as they don't have an ugly unicrown fork.
Olympic 12s are a few years older though. The Olympic 14 (same age as the Tri-A pictured) also had a unicrown.

Don't get me wrong. I love the Olympic 12. The one which had the 'yellow over white' paint option is probably my favourite Repco of all time. It has some great frame characteristics, not the least of which is availability in proper racing geometry. And they take a modern groupset without too much effort.
Just dropped a yellow over white Olympic 12 frame off at the paint strippers yesterday. Plan is to replicate the colour scheme. It was a road side find missing a few bits but the frame is a perfect size for me.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:49 am

Has anyone got any "idiots guide to salvaged 80s BMXs" tips? I picked up a BMX the other day just for the ano blue hubs but with the brakes, stem and brake levers being anodized as well and the frame and fork originally being full chrome i want to make sure i'm not pillaging the BMX equivalent of a Colnago.

Lots of steel bikes

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:29 pm

ldrcycles wrote:Has anyone got any "idiots guide to salvaged 80s BMXs" tips? I picked up a BMX the other day just for the ano blue hubs but with the brakes, stem and brake levers being anodized as well and the frame and fork originally being full chrome i want to make sure i'm not pillaging the BMX equivalent of a Colnago.
I was hoping someone would chime in here. After telling myself to stop buying things I know nothing about, I bought a 1983 Redline BMX. I can't resist a chrome frame.

The Fixer

Postby The Fixer » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:58 pm

Lots of steel bikes wrote:
ldrcycles wrote:Has anyone got any "idiots guide to salvaged 80s BMXs" tips? I picked up a BMX the other day just for the ano blue hubs but with the brakes, stem and brake levers being anodized as well and the frame and fork originally being full chrome i want to make sure i'm not pillaging the BMX equivalent of a Colnago.
I was hoping someone would chime in here. After telling myself to stop buying things I know nothing about, I bought a 1983 Redline BMX. I can't resist a chrome frame.
Just done the same with a chrome-framed Bully Turbine 2000 which I was given in amongst a pile of dead/dying bikes. It was rusty as, and had plenty of stuffed and missing components, but something about it caught my eye. It ended up by scrubbing-up quite nicely, as you can see. So now at the age of 57 I own my first-ever BMX bike... :-P

No idea of its history or value, and don't really care, I built it for fun and that's exactly what it gives me.

I don't care if it's a $20 Huffy or a $20k Colnago, as long as you're riding, and you're happy.

Lots of steel bikes

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:03 pm

The Fixer wrote: but something about it caught my eye.
Yep, I never really 'got' the vintage BMX thing, especially after going to a BMX swap meet and hearing of a stem sell for over $1000. But the more I looked at pics like yours and visit BMX websites, while finding out more about mine, I'm starting to feel it.
Can't explain why though. Chunky welds and not aesthetically pleasing. Have never ridden one so it's not nostalgia.
Then again I don't get the vintage mountain bike thing either.

notime

Postby notime » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:01 am

I picked up this bike the other week and absolutely love the way it rides.

I've been searching around to see what the frame is but I can't find anything the same. It's totally exage 400 and Sakae fit out so mid range but the frame has a really interesting fork, axle screws, TT pump mount, double bidden mounts and a chain hanger. Here is a link to the photo's and BB numbers. Down tube also seems to have a2 stamped at the bottom near the BB.
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=8 ... lder%2cjpg

Thanks

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:39 am

I would have a guess at a Malvern Star, purely on the basis of the shape of the forks. The only forks i've seen like that were on a late 80s/early 90s Malvern Star, the model name of which escapes me now. Possibly Elite but i'm not sure.

weldin_mike_27

Postby weldin_mike_27 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:43 pm

Hi. Quick Question... What's the spiky thing on the back of the head tube in the second photo. My protour has one as well, so am curious. Thanks.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:15 pm

weldin_mike_27 wrote:Hi. Quick Question... What's the spiky thing on the back of the head tube in the second photo. My protour has one as well, so am curious. Thanks.
It's a pump peg

weldin_mike_27

Postby weldin_mike_27 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:51 pm

For the pumps that hold onto the frame by springiness?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:06 am

weldin_mike_27 wrote:For the pumps that hold onto the frame by springiness?
Yep, you could run a velcro strap around the TT if you're that way inclined.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011