Idiots guide to salvaged 80s roadies

sturmey archer

Re: Idiots guide to salvaged 80s roadies

Postby sturmey archer » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:54 pm

drubie wrote:
matilda5 wrote: How do you explain/constrain/ to your other half the point that you NEED 5 bikes to ride and a further 5 donor bikes for backup? :D
- bring em in after dark :lol:
Dismantle them quickly. An incremental change in the pile of frames or box of bits is much harder to notice than a whole rusty old bike. :wink:
1.370" x 24 tpi - what sort of stupid standard is that?

Saro28

Postby Saro28 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:38 pm

drubie wrote:
matilda5 wrote: How do you explain/constrain/ to your other half the point that you NEED 5 bikes to ride and a further 5 donor bikes for backup? :D
- bring em in after dark :lol:

Ohhh ok, bring the other half in after dark, good thinkin' Drubie and when she scrapes the beartraps and takes the skin off her shin cause the narrow little passageway is even narrower..............must(n't) get that back light fixed :? :lol:
Fight till the end n never give up. Cadel Evans 2012

drubie

Postby drubie » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:16 pm

Saro28 wrote: Ohhh ok, bring the other half in after dark, good thinkin' Drubie and when she scrapes the beartraps and takes the skin off her shin cause the narrow little passageway is even narrower..............must(n't) get that back light fixed :? :lol:
Well, I do generally sneak 'em into the shed when I feed the dog about 8:30pm or so.

True story: her indoors complains about trouble getting to the dryer in the shed, decides to count the bikes, nearly leaves satisfied when DOING whacks her head on the Repco hanging from the roof and sees the other "bats" hanging up there.

Oh boy, I paid for that one :mrgreen:
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

matilda5

Postby matilda5 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:55 pm

Oh boy, I paid for that one
So you should have.!
Cause of u I picked up a sturmey 3 speed today. I left the Repco foldable on the side of the road.
Now what do I do with it?
Fleabay by friday
centurion mixte purchased
Nishiki mountain
Ricardo Elite

drubie

Postby drubie » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:45 pm

matilda5 wrote: Now what do I do with it?
Fleabay by friday
Not before you post pictures!
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding

dr0id

Postby dr0id » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:18 pm

Too good, thanks drubie :)

matilda5

Postby matilda5 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:19 pm

Repco folder ...with pictures
I went back to the nature strip today and picked up the remaining carcass of "repco " folder
Maybe show it of in the "repco" posts

Sturmey "AW" 1986 hub works 28 spokes Weinman brakes...3-speed shifter

Now I have it what do I do? If I am caught with it ...tis the end...

Fleabay by Friday
Nishiki mountain
Ricardo Elite

drubie

Postby drubie » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:53 pm

er, not exactly an 80s roadie though...maybe hartleymartley would like it?

That said, the AW liberated from the wheel is worth...something.

matt.blak

Postby matt.blak » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:18 pm

I collect my bikes by colour, if it looks the same as one I already have and is the same colour the garage stands up to a quick check, as long as there is no counting of frames.

A new colour demands attention. So Red, yellow & fluoro are not vailable for me. Also white.

Parts are easy, just store in the boxes . piles , no problems.
Wilier GTR

elStado

Postby elStado » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:27 am

I just got an old 80s road bike from my mate's dad the other day.

It's nothing special; unbranded steel frame, some surface rust, young II "champion" stem, shimano components and mavic rims.

I am going to give it a go at fixing it up, it's in pretty much working condition just a bit dirty and needs pedals and a new tire+tube, but from your guide it sounds like it would be one to skip if I had the choice. I'll also be hunting spare parts from other members and I'll hit up the waste/recycle centre after I finish uni this week to try and get a spare parts collection going.

I have a few months holiday with occasional work during summer, so I should have plenty of time to strip it down, clean and de-rust it all, re-spray the frame and re-build it. Good tip re. replacing the cables as cheap insurance. They seem fine but I will re-do them anyway just to be safe.

Aiming to keep costs as low as possible for this project, so if anyone around Perth has a decent condition saddle and/or pedals they can give me/sell for cheap let me know. I wanted a nice old leather saddle but the reality of cost/availability is putting that back.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

drubie

Postby drubie » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:22 am

elStado wrote:I just got an old 80s road bike from my mate's dad the other day.

It's nothing special; unbranded steel frame, some surface rust, young II "champion" stem, shimano components and mavic rims.
Looks pretty good to me - 700c, proper cranks with replaceable rings, alloy parts for the stem and seatpost, downtube shifters, proper derailleur mount. It'll scrub up well!

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:08 am

elStado wrote:I just got an old 80s road bike from my mate's dad the other day.

It's nothing special
I beg to differ.

That's the exact sort of thing I look for in an 80's roady. On top of everything already mentioned by Drubie, it's got forged dropouts, QR wheels, recessed brake bolts, and Biopace 'rings. Cables under the BB on bikes of this age are also a hint to something better than average.

Something I've been looking at recently is the relationship between the rear wheel, brake bridge and placement of brake pads in the caliper. It's a bit hard to see in your photo, but it looks to me like the brake pads on your bike are mounted about 1/3rd of the way down their slot in the caliper arm. They're not all the way at the bottom. Given that it looks like you have short reach calipers, this information is significant in helping to determine the positioning of this bike on the market. My theory is that lower clearances = higher end bike.

The colour of the forks (visible under the overspray which is chipped off) looks familiar. Is there in inscription at the top of the seat stay?

drubie

Postby drubie » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:40 am

Big, fat finish on the seat stays, bio-pace... could be a Ricardo Elite? Might be a serial number on the BB shell to compare with the ones posted in the Ricardo thread.

elStado

Postby elStado » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:09 pm

drubie wrote:Looks pretty good to me - 700c, proper cranks with replaceable rings, alloy parts for the stem and seatpost, downtube shifters, proper derailleur mount. It'll scrub up well!
Cool! Well rest assured I am NOT planning to sell it on ebay with this new found information, unlike others who come looking for info on their bike, the bike is all mine. Only other person who will get to ride it is my mate who got it for me in the first place.

I've got it in the back yard under shelter and covered up, I'll go out and try and find some more info on it and take some more pics.

BRB

elStado

Postby elStado » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:57 pm

rkelsen wrote:That's the exact sort of thing I look for in an 80's roady. On top of everything already mentioned by Drubie, it's got forged dropouts, QR wheels, recessed brake bolts, and Biopace 'rings. Cables under the BB on bikes of this age are also a hint to something better than average.

Something I've been looking at recently is the relationship between the rear wheel, brake bridge and placement of brake pads in the caliper. It's a bit hard to see in your photo, but it looks to me like the brake pads on your bike are mounted about 1/3rd of the way down their slot in the caliper arm. They're not all the way at the bottom. Given that it looks like you have short reach calipers, this information is significant in helping to determine the positioning of this bike on the market. My theory is that lower clearances = higher end bike.

The colour of the forks (visible under the overspray which is chipped off) looks familiar. Is there in inscription at the top of the seat stay?
The colour of the frame and forks seems to be a bright yellow and pink, there are still chips under the black overspray as it wasn't properly painted. I also removed the water bottle cage and the inside threading had yellow paint residue in it.

I had a look at the top seat stay and couldn't find any inscriptions, it was painted pretty thick with the black paint.

Rather than going off-topic in this thread, I have created a new thread to try and work out what sort of bike this is, also also suggestions/help for what types of tools I will need to disassemble and rebuild it.

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 23&t=34003

matilda5

Postby matilda5 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:56 pm

Drubie wrote
er, not exactly an 80s roadie though...maybe hartleymartley would like it?
As a repco lover this really hurt... Turns out it is probably a Cinzia relabled as a Repco so its ok.
So I went to the trouble of finding a real "road bike" but I no not what it is :(
Need help.
Nishiki mountain
Ricardo Elite

drubie

Postby drubie » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:43 pm

Bump, for giggles.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:12 pm

I seem to be getting more 70's bikes at the mo :P

drubie

Postby drubie » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:08 pm

toolonglegs wrote:I seem to be getting more 70's bikes at the mo :P
It'd be interesting to document what you find TLL - brand names, what kind of frame they were attached to etc. to give people a broad idea of what they are looking at if they come across a euro bike. A lot of that stuff looks very exotic to people who grew up on Sakae Ringyo / Tange / Kashimax etc., but honestly if I had a Huret derailleur in my hand at the moment I would have no idea whether it was their worst or their best.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:06 am

I am trying to up my game of late...been away for a couple of months but back into it now.
By upping my game I mean I am either buying really cheap bikes with interesting parts and scraping them...or looking for something different or very nice.
Yesterdays find was in the middle...VERY good condition with some nice parts.
1977 Romami
Campagnolo push rod front derailleur and Campag Valentino Extra rear... "the Valentino Extra was introduced in 1968. Valentino was also Tuillo Campagolo's son"...middle of road stuff.
Gian Robert hubs,quick releases and shifters...middle of the road Italian components.
Dura-Ace brakes/levers...original on an Italian bike!.
Mavic (Champion du monde professinel) singles rims.
Fiamme "Montreal" Stem and Bars.
OF_ME GA headset.
Specialtés T A cranks...Spirito seems to think they are OK.

I am no expert on this stuff...I am a total beginner :D .

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:53 pm

This is great. Sticky please mods?

Another point: Stand attached to bike = low end
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:50 pm

elStado wrote:The colour of the frame and forks seems to be a bright yellow and pink, there are still chips under the black overspray as it wasn't properly painted.
This would be old news, I guess, (October posting), but how many original paint jobs would there be like that? Sounds like the Paconi (Melbourne builder) I popped a screenshot of on the 'eBay prices rising' thread. :|
Well, no, it's not a pushbike, otherwise I'd be pushing it...
Ricardo Elite, '87 Keith Davis/Pegasus, '92 Team Miyata Ti.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:20 pm

Another vote for a sticky, i was looking for this a little while ago, it's an exceptional guide for a beginner. God knows what i could have saved in the first year i was looking around if i had known what i was looking for. And i could have avoided bringing home all those gaspipe Repcos and Malvern Stars lol.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:06 pm

ldrcycles wrote:Another vote for a sticky, i was looking for this a little while ago, it's an exceptional guide for a beginner. God knows what i could have saved in the first year i was looking around if i had known what i was looking for. And i could have avoided bringing home all those gaspipe Repcos and Malvern Stars lol.
Oh alright then, seeing as you both asked so nicely. But if I get into trouble for this, I'm telling :wink:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:28 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
ldrcycles wrote:Another vote for a sticky, i was looking for this a little while ago, it's an exceptional guide for a beginner. God knows what i could have saved in the first year i was looking around if i had known what i was looking for. And i could have avoided bringing home all those gaspipe Repcos and Malvern Stars lol.
Oh alright then, seeing as you both asked so nicely. But if I get into trouble for this, I'm telling :wink:
+1 for me. Even if my latest salvaged roadie is actually a 1990 bike (Cannondale Crit 3)
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ