Idiots guide to salvaged 80s roadies

DazMez

Re: Idiots guide to salvaged 80s roadies

Postby DazMez » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:18 pm

I've used Drubies words of wisdom in the past & picked up some good bikes. But this week I ignored pretty much all of his advice. I collected an original & good condition 1983 Apollo I. Stem shifters, chrome steel rims, suicide levers etc. But there's something classy about these 'numbered Apollos'. I liked the head badge, black paint & it will clean up & be part of my growing Apollo collection.

toolman2810

Postby toolman2810 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:19 pm

I bought a Malvern star ultrasport today of gumtree $70. Pulled it in side in the light & this is a 40yo ? bike that is in pristine condition. If there are km's on there, it is certainly not many.

I don't know anything about bikes. But I do appreciate something that is so old & looks like it has never been ridden. Are they worth anything ? Should I even be riding it ?

Kind regards

Tim

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:10 pm

toolman2810 wrote:I bought a Malvern star ultrasport today of gumtree $70. Pulled it in side in the light & this is a 40yo ? bike that is in pristine condition. If there are km's on there, it is certainly not many.

I don't know anything about bikes. But I do appreciate something that is so old & looks like it has never been ridden. Are they worth anything ? Should I even be riding it ?

Kind regards

Tim
I have an Ultrasport sitting in my bike room, waiting on whatever I'm going to do to it. Dynalloy tubing, Shimano friction gearing etc. You'll find that it isn't the lightest of frames, but surprisingly nice to ride and very durable. Would take an upgrade to 7sp indexed very easily and would make an excellent short-medium distance commuter bike (with an upgrade to modern brake calipers)..
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:42 am

toolman2810 wrote:I bought a Malvern star ultrasport today of gumtree $70. Pulled it in side in the light & this is a 40yo ? bike that is in pristine condition. If there are km's on there, it is certainly not many.

Kind regards
Tim
They're an attractive bike (I've had one in the shed for years now purely because I like the look of it), but even in perfect condition top price would be maybe $150. I would say ride it, just avoid the rain to keep it looking good.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Edward Wheeler

Postby Edward Wheeler » Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:04 pm

Hi Drubie
I wonder if you can help me please?.In the mid eighties I had a frame built Reynolds 531 tubing.It originaly came branded OMEGA with Omega stamped on the top of the seat stays.In 1990 I was involved in a crash in a road race and had to have to top tube replaced.When it came back from repair and respray I had a very good friend who had a bike shop in Forster NSW and so had his rend put on it.But I have always suspected it might be one of Geoff Scotts frames.Any ideas?.
Cheers
Ted

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:14 pm

Hi Ted, Drubie hasn’t been active on the forum for a few years now. If you could post some pictures of your Omega, there’s people here that could help. If that fails, you could always talk to Geoff directly.