Repco Appreciation Society

le_paulo

Postby le_paulo » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:59 am

It's probably about time that I post my Repco now that Stage 1 of the restoration has finished.

Some details about the bike and the parts I've used:

The bike is a barely used Repco Eurosport Tri-A. Serial #K9K5318. That makes it a 1989 Japanese built frame so probably some of the last Japanese frames to come out of the Repco production line.

I paid $180 for the bike via Gumtree about a month ago. It had all original parts including brake pads which suggests barely any kms.

First job involved pulling the wheels off, dismantling the cassette, stripping the hubs back and giving everything a solid flush. Fresh bearings were installed and Phil's Tenacious Oil trickled into the freehub to smoothen things out.

Both wheels were out of true and had loose spokes. Unfortunately, both rims had also suffered pothole trauma and shared identical flatspots I had to tamp out a bit.

Handlebars and stem quickly replaced with Nitto Mod 177 (Noodle) rando bars and Technomic stem. Brake levers replaced with Dia Compe Gran Compe Classics.

Next step was the drivetrain. Things got very tricky here. The NDS crank came off easily. The crank puller had no success on on the drive side and stripped the threads immediately - those 105 cranks are made out of cheese! Used some ingenuity to pull the cranks off by leaving the NDS cups on, putting a long hollow spacer over the crank spindle from the NDS, putting the crank bolt over the spacer and pulling the crank spindle from the NDS side. This pulled the crank spider hard up against the DS cup and continuing to turn the bolt from the other side pulled the spindle out, leaving the crank spider and crank behind. Cranks now binned, the next horrific task was trying to take the DS cup off. No amount of force could budge it so off I go to see the boys and girls at CERES hoping they would have something.

The volunteers there pulled out "The Tool" from the bottom drawer - some huge, brutal chunk of steel that looked like a crank puller but meatier and nastier. It attached perfectly to the flanges on the cup and as the volunteer turned the bolt, the cup came off. It took 2 of us and bloody great long steel pipe for leverage.

With the BB cleaned out, the next decision was: what to do with cranks? Hmm - some old Sugino RD cranks that I had lying around from a track bike build were brought back to life, this time in their original configuration as the RDs have flanges for 2 chainrings - sweet! Those cranks need a 103mm BB. Lucky for me, I had a nice Phil's 103mm BB lying around too so both were put into service. The Phil's is perfect here as you can dial in the chainline right on 43.5mm and I did just that.

Fresh chain and cables on I just had to get out and ride this thing. And what a ride! Now I get what all the fuss is about. It's smooth and very responsive. My centre of gravity is back towards the saddle which is a real bonus for me as I suffer from sore elbows and shoulders. From what I've read here, that is a deliberate consequence of the geo to benefit the triathletes who would have used this bike in the day. Indexed gears shift very, very nicely and the Biopace chainrings add a slightly eccentric (no pun intended) feel to pedalling.

Stage 2 of the rebuild has already started: Firstly the wheels - NOS Shimano 1055 hubs (uniglide and hyperglide compatible), H+Son TB14 polished rims and DT Revolution spokes. Complete overkill but what the heck - this bike deserves some TLC after 20 years in someone's shed.

Stage 3 will wait until after the Euro adventure. Will probably involve a sandblast and repaint. Hopefully I can find some Repco decals....maybe upgrade to some Dura Ace components...

schuberj

Re: Repco Appreciation Society

Postby schuberj » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:08 pm

Far be it from me to question parts people put on a bike (see Taiwanese Victory with Santé), but I am interested in the choice of replacing the 105 levers with Dia Compes, both for aesthetics and performance. Sheldon Brown describes the original SLR 105 brakes as "the best sidepull calipers ever made", however not using them with spring loaded levers removes almost all the advantages of SLR. The spring blocks on the calipers can be reversed to make this setup work but I would imagine much of the great feel would be lost.

le_paulo

Postby le_paulo » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:04 pm

schuberj wrote:...I am interested in the choice of replacing the 105 levers with Dia Compes, both for aesthetics and performance.
There were a few reasons:

- The levers were trashed and the hoods had disintegrated from lack of care.

- more importantly: I am riding this bike at L'Eroica next year and I'm already fudging the rules a bit as the bike needs to be pre-1987. Having brake cables running over the back of the bars is one of the L'Eroica criteria. Add to that the lugged frame, downtube shifters and box rims and I can probably dodge some difficult questions from the commissaires if they do a spot-check.

Who knows - maybe I'll add NOS 105 levers in Stage 3... :)

schuberj

Postby schuberj » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:25 pm

Excellent, hope it all goes well :D I can tell you from personal experience that these Eurosports are a fantastic ride!

gbasile77

Postby gbasile77 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:37 pm

25 minutes to go.. who will buy the lovely white-green Victory Tri-A on ebay.. currently on $388. WOW!

maccayak

Postby maccayak » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:02 pm

I was watching it out of curiosity and the price went high very early in the proceedings. Its worth what someone wants to pay so good luck to them, I wonder if its someone from here? I will stick to my lower end Repco's.

le_paulo

Postby le_paulo » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:20 pm

Has someone got the link to the ebay auction - I completely missed that!

newy101

Postby newy101 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:06 am

Anyone with a nice condition 105 (1050 pref) front wheel to Araya 700c rim spare? OR a f&r set in the gold Araya rims that came on the first gen Eurosport Tri-a's?

elfoam

Postby elfoam » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:55 pm

gbasile77 wrote:25 minutes to go.. who will buy the lovely white-green Victory Tri-A on ebay.. currently on $388. WOW!
Yeah that was me.. Few other people wanted it, pretty fierce bidding war. I literally put 3 dollars more than the highest bid towards the end and got it... I was spent though, I wasn't going to keep going.

I bought a Centurion Pursuit a few weeks ago that's had previous repaired damage to one tube but it's a joy to ride so I figured well.. I may as well try get one of the old high end Repco's. Looked around a bit first and saw a couple other slightly nicer condition tri-a's listed for $400ish so I figured well.. I'll go to 200 safely, 250 max? but then with three bidders in it just got serious.. Anyway I rationalised it by thinking about what kind of bike can you buy new now for 330$?.. a crap one... So I'm fine and guess I joined the club. I have a old Wheeler "mountain bike" very early mountain bike made from heat treated Tange prestige that I bought new almost 20 years ago.. Only recently realised what steel it was made from after ever bike shop I ever went in it with the last 20 years telling me it must be something special (it has no factory coloured paint only a clear coat over the brushed steel tubes) so that's given me a bit of Tange madness. I rode the crap out of that bike over the last 20 years and it's been a great bike, still looks pretty mint actually for the amount of miles it's done.

I thought I was done but then bought a very nice and cheap mid 90s Avanti Monza...

elfoam

Postby elfoam » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:40 pm

gbasile77 wrote:25 minutes to go.. who will buy the lovely white-green Victory Tri-A on ebay.. currently on $388. WOW!
Tough auction man, if I told you I put in a dollar more than the other guys that wanted it would you let me join the Repco club. It's the green and white splatter paint that made it go crazy I think. At least that's why I wanted that specific bike, child hood memories and all that, I guess the others felt the same way. It wasn't 388, $338 was the final bid. I got an Avanti Monza mid 90s in very very good condition for very cheap yesterday so it all works out.

gbasile77

Postby gbasile77 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:01 pm

That ebay bike looked really nice to me. Congratulations to the winner!

Roisin79

Postby Roisin79 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:38 pm

There is a student/hipster type in Footscray who rides a Eurosport - it's locked up outside either the Plough or Centrelink everytime I go there.
If you're in the hood and see him, offer him some cash.

elfoam

Postby elfoam » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:37 am

Under some grease the tri A was in really good running condition, everything other than the seat is the right part. The chain rings are almost unused. Paints chips and such but Im going to ride and enjoy it so that's no problem. All im doing is a white charge seat, some good tyres and white look pedals. Just been for little ride so far but its the perfect size and handles great. Pretty happy to finally have a nice bike from my time. I saw another one with the same paint on this forum listed as a 1988/89 but that one has different coloured decals.. Wonder if that paint had two build runs.

The Fixer

Postby The Fixer » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:48 pm

They're kidding, right?

Just scored this 1992/3(?) SuperLite - who the hell are they kidding?

This frameset is heavier than my 1988 Apollo Delta is, ready to ride.

Super? Maybe. Light? Well, no.

Compared to the Sydney Harbour Bridge, perhaps...

But it DOES look bloody lovely.

I don't care if it's a $20 Huffy or a $20k Colnago, as long as you're riding, and you're happy.

The Fixer

Postby The Fixer » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:54 pm

I have a 1986 Apollo III which is way too big for me.

Its components will go towards getting this one up and running.
I don't care if it's a $20 Huffy or a $20k Colnago, as long as you're riding, and you're happy.

schuberj

Postby schuberj » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:59 pm

elfoam wrote:I saw another one with the same paint on this forum listed as a 1988/89 but that one has different coloured decals.. Wonder if that paint had two build runs.
I have never seen this paint colour with decals other than the green, but it is not that unusual to have different coloured decals on the same model. I know the Anthracite had red and green decals (the catalogue has green, the one I owned had red which seems to be rarer). It is definitely an '88 model, personally I did not see this colour until 1989 at my LBS, but the K8S5 serial numbers suggest they were made in September '88. I have also seen one ever black with either blue or green splatter (similar to Eurosport fuchsia splatter) with the same decals but parts from an '89 model!
The Fixer wrote:SuperLite? Maybe.

Hmm, perhaps you are seeing a different meaning to "lite" than I am. I usually see it used as a way to fool people into thinking something is light without false advertising :lol:

The Superlites probably were comparatively light in the early 80s when they were top of the tree. As other models came in over them they really became the budget "road" bike (the reason why everyone had one) and by the 90s and non-lugged frames all steel framed Repcos were considerably heavier than earlier high range models. They can still be good to ride though.

elfoam

Postby elfoam » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:59 pm

The Fixer wrote:They're kidding, right?

Just scored this 1992/3(?) SuperLite - who the hell are they kidding?

This frameset is heavier than my 1988 Apollo Delta is, ready to ride.

Super? Maybe. Light? Well, no.

But it DOES look bloody lovely.

The guy I got the Tri A from told me he also has a Superlite and he told me then that despite its name the superlite is much heavier than the TRI-A. About the Decals on the TRI-A, mine has the green decals the other one I saw had red REPCO on the seat tube not green. Anyway your superlite looks great ! so I guess that compensates the weight, all these bikes are pretty heavy in the end. The TRI-A is going to be in the high 10's once I get decent tyres on it, no chance It'll be the factory quoted 10.5kg even with a light seat. I picked up an Avanti Monza (steel one) today and that's 11.7kg big frame though. And some old Apollo that only has cromoly main tubes and that's over 12kg.

maccayak

Postby maccayak » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:08 am

maccayak wrote:
maccayak wrote:Yep, seat post stuck. Actually the top of the "strong" seat post came out quite easily however the nasty tube is still in there. What makes it a challenge is there is 5mm of seat post visible above the frame. I have soaked it with wd40 and I am in no hurry to ride so open to suggestions. I can actually fit an old head stem inside the post if I need to twist it. Other than that the bike is great.
Got it out. One hours hacksawing by hand slowly up and down. 2 vertical cuts and out she came. Anyone have a 27 strong seat post?
Looking for a 27.0mm Strong branded seat post. Have placed an ad in the wanted section. Would like to keep the bike original as possible.

Cheers Geoff

Releng

Postby Releng » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:38 pm

There is a Superlite up for auction at the sustainability exhibition in Hobart 31/10 and 1/11
Proceeds go to the Hobart Bike Kitchen.
http://hobartbikekitchen.org/auction-bi ... ite-racer/
Cheers,
Mick

elfoam

Postby elfoam » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:40 pm

The guy I got the tri-a from said he will be listing his superlite on ebay soon. He said it was a bigger frame but not sure which year etc it was. Wait and see I guess.

elfoam

Postby elfoam » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:03 pm

elfoam wrote:The guy I got the tri-a from said he will be listing his superlite on ebay soon. He said it was a bigger frame but not sure which year etc it was. Wait and see I guess.
It's on ebay now http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Road-bike-cl ... 1627458039" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; if anyone here is tall enough for it. If the tri-a is anything to go by and they were in the same garage this one will be pretty mint under the dust and excessive greese.

maccayak

Postby maccayak » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:29 pm

88/89 model, looks good.

radsick

Postby radsick » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:27 am

Anyone know the seat post diameter for a Repco Elite RX?

Thanks.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:58 pm

Junk pile at the lbs find [emoji41]
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

petie

Postby petie » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:21 am

Junk pile??!? Where is this lbs.....?