Repco Appreciation Society

Wal42

Re: Repco Appreciation Society

Postby Wal42 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:47 am

Here's the aforementioned Vantage-

And the Vertex CR1, I'm still not 100% certain it is a Repco, BUT it's definitely an Australian bike, Repco did use the Vertex tag at that time, so it possibly is-Image

rusco

Postby rusco » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:29 pm

Hi All

Thought I would post some pics of my referbed Repco Superlite. Converted to a 3 speed Stermy Archer Hub. Rides very sweet and was a lot of fun to design and build. Got a bit of help from Chris at Pedal Cyclrey. Frame was all I had to work with at the start rest was found online or build up from new parts. Front hub is a reconditioned normandy hub on mavic rim.

rusco

Postby rusco » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:30 pm

Oh chain ring is a custom CNC milled affair on a Shimano 600 Arabesque crank.

cray-

Postby cray- » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:55 pm

rusco wrote:Thought I would post some pics of my referbed Repco Superlite. Converted to a 3 speed Stermy Archer Hub. Rides very sweet and was a lot of fun to design and build. Got a bit of help from Chris at Pedal Cyclrey. Frame was all I had to work with at the start rest was found online or build up from new parts. Front hub is a reconditioned normandy hub on mavic rim.
Very nice. Now all you need is a decent frame to put all those shiny parts on. :wink:

On a semi-related note I managed to get my Malvern Star (tsk tsk, I know) Special 10 singlespeed conversion into a rideable state on the weekend. Don't worry it's only a junker to ride to/leave at the train station. Now I'm not sure if it was the lack of bar tape (I was still wearing gloves) but the harshness of the hi-ten frame was horrible! And I shudder to think what the bike must have weighed with all 10 speeds and the original wheelset. Makes me appreciate my old Repco/Nishiki all the more.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:40 pm

That looks really cool, i've been thinking for a year or so about building a bike like that.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

schuberj

Postby schuberj » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:56 pm

rusco wrote:Hi All

Thought I would post some pics of my referbed Repco Superlite. Converted to a 3 speed Stermy Archer Hub. Rides very sweet and was a lot of fun to design and build. Got a bit of help from Chris at Pedal Cyclrey. Frame was all I had to work with at the start rest was found online or build up from new parts. Front hub is a reconditioned normandy hub on mavic rim.
That bike is a very impressive piece of work! I like the old style frame, even older style parts look of the whole project, great job :-D

Oh, and I forgot to mention the hip flask!

Stuey

Postby Stuey » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:14 pm

The crank is particularly good...I like.

rusco

Postby rusco » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:32 am

Thanks, has been fun to put together, the 3 speed is very nice to ride.
I am on the look out for a couple of other frames (fluro superlite and a pink/black olympic) that I might port the parts onto. The idea was to use this frame (which I quiet like) as a base, get a group of parts together that I have the option od moving to other frames as I come across them. Not sure if I will do this or just build another bike.

rusco

Postby rusco » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:33 am

Oh, the hip flask took a while to find but worth it.

Cranks are probable my most favorite bit.

munga

Postby munga » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:12 pm

looks pretty cool, but i dunno if my poor old neck/shoulder blades would handle that kind of position for long. i'd flip those bars back up and get a longer stem.
nice colour combo tho. rims and cranks look cool too!

schuberj

Postby schuberj » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:39 pm

:o There is a Eurosport for sale in my colour!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Repco-Eurosp ... 500wt_1414

Although it looks like it may have been through a fire or something! Might be good for someone tall who is looking for a decent frame and doesn't mind respraying. Note it does look like quite a few of the original parts are missing.

If anyone happens to buy it I am still looking for a one on one with a bike of this colour to get enough info to respray a frame. Would consider it myself it was the right size.

rusco

Postby rusco » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:42 am

schuberj wrote::o There is a Eurosport for sale in my colour!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Repco-Eurosp ... 500wt_1414

Although it looks like it may have been through a fire or something! Might be good for someone tall who is looking for a decent frame and doesn't mind respraying. Note it does look like quite a few of the original parts are missing.

If anyone happens to buy it I am still looking for a one on one with a bike of this colour to get enough info to respray a frame. Would consider it myself it was the right size.
This bike poped up a couple of weeks ago, was first listed at $150, then $120. He is getting closer to what it's worth. I picked up one with a small frame the other day for $150 with full Shimano 105. Will be interesting to see if it sells, he is not doing himself any favours with the crappy picture.

rusco

Postby rusco » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:44 am

munga wrote:looks pretty cool, but i dunno if my poor old neck/shoulder blades would handle that kind of position for long. i'd flip those bars back up and get a longer stem.
nice colour combo tho. rims and cranks look cool too!
Thanks.
I actually find that position to be quiet good, I need to drop the seat a little but the bars are surprisingly nice. I had not ridden that kind before putting them on here.

Sharri29

Postby Sharri29 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:27 pm

Hi All,
I came across something very interesting this week from someone on this forum giving away a very small (kids size) repco road bike. Its 44 cm frame with gear shift on the stem. The wheels appear to be about 24 in? I have not seen one this small before but havent been into cycling that long to really know. It appears to be 80s sometime, has one brake lever missing and FD looks like it may have frozen up. But otherwise should come up the goods.

I plan to build this up for my 11 yo daughter who has wanted to start riding with me on the weekends, does anyone know if tyres this size are still available? Look to be a little wider than normal road tyres but all the information on the tyre has crumbled away so i cant read anything.

I'll try to get a serial number off it later to see if that helps with identification also as the only stickers that are readable is the Large Repco and the Made by repco Australia.

Cheers

SH

schuberj

Postby schuberj » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:13 pm

Sharri29 wrote:Hi All,
I came across something very interesting this week from someone on this forum giving away a very small (kids size) repco road bike. Its 44 cm frame with gear shift on the stem. The wheels appear to be about 24 in? I have not seen one this small before but havent been into cycling that long to really know. It appears to be 80s sometime, has one brake lever missing and FD looks like it may have frozen up. But otherwise should come up the goods.

I plan to build this up for my 11 yo daughter who has wanted to start riding with me on the weekends, does anyone know if tyres this size are still available? Look to be a little wider than normal road tyres but all the information on the tyre has crumbled away so i cant read anything.

I'll try to get a serial number off it later to see if that helps with identification also as the only stickers that are readable is the Large Repco and the Made by repco Australia.

Cheers

SH
24" "road" bikes weren't that uncommon back in the day. I assume they disappeared as many people moved to mountain bikes and road bikes developed sloped top tubes that meant kids could ride larger bikes without too much chance of injury. It was rich parents that could afford to buy a 24" racer in the year or two between a BMX and a full size road bike!

I think there were a couple listed in the '88 catalogue.

Tyres don't seem to be too hard to find, although mostly mountain bike style now. http://www.bicyclestore.com.au/parts/ty ... treet.html. Look around though because you might be able to find them cheaper.

munga

Postby munga » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:15 pm

cyclocross!

Dan

Postby Dan » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:07 pm

munga wrote:cyclocross!
ears prick up - whAaaat? Psychlocross?

tdpeter

Postby tdpeter » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:19 pm

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Repco-Superl ... _500wt_899

Repco Superlight for sale in Perth...

xerlex

Postby xerlex » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:42 pm

Here's my Vertex in its most recent guise:

schuberj

Postby schuberj » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:50 pm

Very nice. The paint looks in superb nick (from that distance anyway) as well. Are they the Emperor's new cables as well?

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:56 pm

xerlex wrote:Here's my Vertex
Very nice. With all these Vertex's showing up on the forum I'm beginning to think they where not as rare as I once believed.

munga

Postby munga » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:22 pm

nice one - didn't know you owned a vertex as well. does your serial start with an "L"?

xerlex

Postby xerlex » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:40 pm

schuberj wrote:Very nice. The paint looks in superb nick (from that distance anyway) as well. Are they the Emperor's new cables as well?
Ummmm its the new SRAM... uh electronic shifting and um.. braking.
singlespeedscott wrote: Very nice. With all these Vertex's showing up on the forum I'm beginning to think they where not as rare as I once believed.

They probably are, I've just had very good luck tracking them down.

xerlex

Postby xerlex » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:07 pm

munga wrote:nice one - didn't know you owned a vertex as well. does your serial start with an "L"?

I'll have a look tomorrow.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:45 pm

They're definitely rare scott, i've never seen one yet. I think this thread has just managed to draw together every single one left, like Optimus Prime transmitting to the remaining autobots :lol: .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia