Repco Appreciation Society

barefoot

Re: Repco Appreciation Society

Postby barefoot » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:11 am

le_paulo wrote:
schuberj wrote:I thought someone might have pointed out this
"...no teeth missing..." and the awesome aero position he drops into to roll down the footpath. Rofl.
And the original authentic Bontrager tyres :mrgreen:

Uh... what was Keith Bontrager doing in the 80s? I never realised he had a road tyre business before he became a seminal mountain bike frame building icon :lol:

tim

elfoam

Postby elfoam » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:29 pm

Any of you guys know what year the pink and yellow Elite RX was sold. I have one on the way and can check parts once its here but Im intrigued by the bike. Must have replaced the Victory Tri A in later years?. 4th repco already.. I May have a problem, should get rid of the big Olympic 12 and only keep what fits if I had any sense.

schuberj

Postby schuberj » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:50 am

They are from 1991. By this stage Repco were using buzz terms like "tri-moly" instead of actually making any decent quality bikes. They had also stopped quoting weights in their catalogues and you will know why once you receive it. Still, some of the bikes from this era and even into the post lugged era are not too bad to ride, and they will go forever.

koshari

Postby koshari » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:19 am

is the colour scheme the fade/transition or the marble style? i have a red/black marble and i have seen purple/blue marble scheme as well, i recall reading a post post somewhere tells on an alternative colour that was available when he went to purchase but he ended up settling on red/black.
i take it the running gear is 7 speed rx100 groupo , biopace double front with the alesa double wall rims and sakae post and drops??

mines pretty close to 12 kilos. ( was 12.6 with some nuke proof tires but recently replaced with some vittoria ziffaro 25mm slicks and lost about 200 grams per tire.)

as for years i got mine just before turning 21 and iam 44 now which would make them 1992 stock (providing the pink was available alongside the red/black and purple/black models.???)

plenty more info in chris wells,s post
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3378&p=1045242&hil ... x#p1045242" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

elfoam

Postby elfoam » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:00 pm

Yeah I figure its not quite the bike the late 80s repcos were but the elite rx seems quite rare so i figure why not check one out. The victory tri A is my main bike right now, really great to ride. Im pkaning to get a eurosport in the same frame size. Bit of conflicting information on the differences between them frame wise but i can promise the victory was never ever 10.5kg with stock tyres. its barely under 11kg even with 80g tubes and 200g tyres.

I wonder if the eurosport was any lighter... Anyway this pink and yellow elite rx isnt marbled like the red one. its straight up pink on some tubes yellow on others and the the fork. Was the red marble from 91 also?. I did see on here somewhere the bare weight of the elite rx at 2600 + 750? for the fork. Ive also seen a tri a (not sure which one but im guessing they actually share tubing) at 2300g, so it would be reasnoble to expect the elite rx to wiegh 11.3kg ready to ride these days the rx groupset shouldnt be heavier. The bike is comming without wheels but yes rx100 groupset, sakae post and stem and cranks ypu mentioned above. Not sure if ill bother going original with the wheels or go for an upgrade.

I need to get an exact weight on the olympic 12 its a big frame but seems lighter than the tri a, at least not any heavier. The Dodsun triathalon im building now (tange 2) is much lighter than all the sbove.

schuberj

Postby schuberj » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:38 pm

Note that frame weight is almost directly related to tube thickness rather than steel "quality". Better steels may be stronger and hence can be made thinner, but I have found that this is not always the case. The weights quoted in the catalogues are likely for smaller (or smallest) size frames. My Eurosport comes in at 10.7kg (measurement accuracy debatable) although I don't think it is original enough to count.

Bearing in mind that modern bikes weights are quoted sans pedals these figures are not too bad.

koshari

Postby koshari » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:57 am

schuberj wrote: Bearing in mind that modern bikes weights are quoted sans pedals these figures are not too bad.
good point there schuuey. didnt even consider the pedals not being counted, possible 200-300 grams for a set of pedals?

munga

Postby munga » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:36 am

350g for standard look keo pedals (with cleats). some rat traps with with cages and straps would certainly be more - the keo's are mostly plastic.
elite rx did take over the role of premium priced repco, but it wasn't a better bike. i'd leave it for someone else.

elfoam

Postby elfoam » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:40 pm

Yeah if the original weight spec are mnus pedals like modern bikes are weighed then for sure you could make 10.5 on the victory tri a.

I'm fascinated by the different frame materials, tange 5 seems really nice. I have a tange 5 centurion which is under 11kg and a really smooth flexy frame despite being plain gauge non butted tubing. I'm building a fixed gear from a mangaloy 2001 frame just because it was reasonably light at 2300g but no idea how it will ride, it'll be well under 10kg complete though. I'll either have a lot of fun or a lot of crashes.

elfoam

Postby elfoam » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:09 pm

Hey I got the Elite RX today. I havent put it all together yet but weighed everything and its around 10.5kg without pedals. Thats the pink and fluro dew yellow model, 4130 frame. Its a small frame though. Ill get the size later.

koshari

Postby koshari » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:23 pm

Get that camera out elfoam so we can all have a gander.

elfoam

Postby elfoam » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:49 pm

Soon as the kids fall asleep Ill bring it inside, bolt it together and get some pictures. I'll try show you where I'm at with the Tri A and Olympic 12 too.

elfoam

Postby elfoam » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:54 am

Ok so there it is. Came out at 10.6kg without pedals with these wheels and old tyres. The clamp on the seat post clamp is steel too and I doubt this bike had a dodgy post originally. Anyway itll be a 10.4kg bike I guess. Its 52cm seat tube, 55cm top tube. I went for a little ride on it just before, It rides great, really nippy. Definitly up there with the tri A, Quite a lot nicer than those similar age malvern stars I have. The frame on this is plain gauge 4130, I can see any seem in the tubes. 91 model?. There appears to be a serial number on it but far too deep under paint to read any of it.

koshari

Postby koshari » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:20 am

Are those rims alesia ?

maccayak

Postby maccayak » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:02 am

I like the colours.

elfoam

Postby elfoam » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:01 am

The colours are way more intense out in the sun. I think the pink would have been more fluro back in the day as its a little brighter under the tubes. The bike didnt come with a seat, seat post or wheels. Those wheels I stuck on are Araya ADX 510 that I got with another bike but they are about the same weight as everything else. (about 3kg for both complete wheels).

maccayak

Postby maccayak » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:35 am

91/92 model. Neon pink, neon yellow, Page 10 of the brochure shows an exact image of that bike.

koshari

Postby koshari » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:29 pm

elfoam wrote: The bike didnt come with a seat, seat post or wheels. Those wheels I stuck on are Araya ADX 510 that I got with another bike but they are about the same weight as everything else. (about 3kg for both complete wheels).
nice, mission accomplished then, for the record I would assume the original wheels would have been the alesa (now alex) with the sakai post and a velo gel seat going of the OEM of mine, which i have just taken out for a lazy 37km.

elfoam

Postby elfoam » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:20 pm

koshari wrote:
elfoam wrote: The bike didnt come with a seat, seat post or wheels. Those wheels I stuck on are Araya ADX 510 that I got with another bike but they are about the same weight as everything else. (about 3kg for both complete wheels).
nice, mission accomplished then, for the record I would assume the original wheels would have been the alesa (now alex) with the sakai post and a velo gel seat going of the OEM of mine, which i have just taken out for a lazy 37km.
I went for about a 10km ride on it today. Really top notch shifting and brakes that rx100 group. Comfortable to ride even though Im sick with the flu right now but the fluro pink paint..I grew up in the 80s and used love a bit of fluro pink clothing but its a bit much for an old man in 2015:p. My wife doesnt like it but my 8 month old daughter is obssed with it. Looks like its going to be wrapped up and wait 13 years :)?. Maybe fluro will be in again.

cray-

Postby cray- » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:33 pm

Would normally post to the eBay thread but due to the theme, here they are:

2x exxy Eurosport Tri-A's in Vic and Qld respectively:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/321944672610" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/161912588484" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One in _slightly_ better shape than the other, anyone here?

And a rare as rocking horse poodoo Vertex roadie that is too big for me or I wouldn't be posting it here:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/252208414678" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have at 'em my fellow Repco fiends.

schuberj

Postby schuberj » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:49 am

Steer well clear of that second Eurosport, it has been on eBay for years and has rightly never sold. Broken frame and 105 parts in poor condition, you couldn't pay me to take that thing away.

elfoam

Postby elfoam » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:00 pm

cray- wrote:Would normally post to the eBay thread but due to the theme, here they are:

2x exxy Eurosport Tri-A's in Vic and Qld respectively:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/321944672610" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/161912588484" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One in _slightly_ better shape than the other, anyone here?

And a rare as rocking horse poodoo Vertex roadie that is too big for me or I wouldn't be posting it here:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/252208414678" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have at 'em my fellow Repco fiends.
Not sure is it's still there but there was an excellent eurosport TRI A in Sydney on gumtree, I wanted it but too much hassle to get it here. Vertex is too big for me too otherwise I'd be bidding.

landyacht

Postby landyacht » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:13 pm

maccayak wrote:I like the colours.
ive cleaned up better looking baby poo :P

elfoam

Postby elfoam » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:53 am

landyacht wrote:
maccayak wrote:I like the colours.
ive cleaned up better looking baby poo :P
Jelly much lol, thats an awesome looking bike out in real light. Really nice, just a bit..Pink. You need plenty balls to ride it into town be sure of that.

maccayak

Postby maccayak » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:50 am

I think I saw one advertised on gumtree yesterday. At least you will stand out when riding it.