Repco Appreciation Society

MountGower

Repco Appreciation Society

Postby MountGower » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:25 pm

Error. This post can no longer be displayed.
Last edited by MountGower on Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:36 pm

Pah. Repco. Cheap immitation. All the good bikes from that period wore the Europa brand 8) (and most were made in the same factory :roll:)

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:39 pm

I'll put this photo in as a place holder
until I can get a photo of the bits that collectively make up my Superlite.
I hope that Tuco never sees the lovely purple detailing on the head tube (the forks are the same colour) - I'll never be able to mention pink bikes again. Well, yes I will, just less virtuously. :wink:
There was a thread that spawned from the 'Beast is back' thread ages ago that had a lot of stuff about how to tell the different series of Superlites from each other. I'll try to find it and bump it up here.
Litespeed Classic - 3Al/2.5V titanium tube set, Record 9-speed groupset, Open Corsa Evo CX
Alchemy Diablo - Columbus Zonal tubing, Ultegra 9-speed groupset, UltraGatorskins
Gitane Rocks T1 - U6 tubing, Deore/XT groupset, CrossMarks

uMP2k

Postby uMP2k » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:07 pm

These are posted in other threads, but here is my contribution:

Original:

Pre-crash in commuter mode

And, hopefully, I will soon have some of the post-crash rebuild!
Last edited by uMP2k on Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:48 pm

Some show their age like battle scars

Click for biggie
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:03 pm

Here's my '56 Master Sports built by Motor Spares which went on to become Repco.

Master Sports had unique headlugs. Barry Waddell rode a Master Sports as well.

Last edited by GaryF on Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

europa

Postby europa » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:08 pm

Not to forget Dave's grand old Repco

Richard

europa

Postby europa » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:12 pm

Not to forget my old Europa.

At the time she was a new girl, Europa were sourcing their frames from Nishiki. Guess what, at that same time, so were Repco :D Sisters under the paint methinks. I haven't owned a 'Repco', but I sold a Nishiki to buy the Europa.

As she was with gears

As she is now

Richard

Image resized

Seele

Postby Seele » Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:35 pm

Here's my Repco Traveller rebuilt, but have changed the seatpost since this picture was taken.

Last edited by Seele on Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

cray-

Postby cray- » Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:17 pm

More pics of my eBay special here. Have added new black hoods, toe straps and a slightly longer and shinier seat post since taking these pics. Wouldn't mind getting some aero levers as the current ones look a bit daggy and sometimes get in the way if I'm grabbing the flats. Apart from that I'm one super happy Repco <cough>Nishiki</cough> owner! :D
Last edited by cray- on Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

xx68

Postby xx68 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:12 pm

I also have a 'traveller' ( not as nice as seele's tho ) and its purple ,and was a roadside find - but now it wears 'fancy aluminiumbits and allweathersuperstickyBigWtyres ' , it rides pretty good too , might give its head around Homebush Bay tomorrow ......
but pics are in another thread ....soon my precious and I'll be ablle to attach pics .....unless Richard comes through for me again

xx68

Postby xx68 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm

Oh , and yes the serial number is on the rear dropout mine starts with 84 , so I'll assume that means built in 1984 , the brake which were Diacompe copies also had "Japan and 84" stamped into them . Its also made of Tange steel 1020 , this may mean nothing of course and 1020 may have been the time to knock off for morning tea..............
cheers david

Seele

Postby Seele » Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:08 am

David,

The number on my rear dropout starts with GD 73 so not sure what that means. Anyway the Traveller seems to be a common model which turns up regularly on eBay, but mine was equipped with very common parts, such as poorly plated steel brake calipers which had rusted into solid blocks of rust, etc, but at least it was black so my black paint did not change its colour, short of the lack of transfers. I should have got it painted professionally though, and the mudguards taken from a Bennett could have fitted better especially around the rear wheel.

More pictures at Cyclofiend Current Classics:

http://www.cyclofiend.com/cc/2007/cc367 ... g0907.html

xx68

Postby xx68 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:40 am

Nice job Seele looks like yours was the sister to mine ! Mine was upgraded due to finding another bike in the cleanup ! Hardest part was cleaning the rims .
I've checked the serial # , due to reading things backwards it ends in 84 ....so its actually GF705884 stamped into the lh rear dropout

triode12

Postby triode12 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:35 am

xx68 wrote:Oh , and yes the serial number is on the rear dropout mine starts with 84 , so I'll assume that means built in 1984 , the brake which were Diacompe copies also had "Japan and 84" stamped into them . Its also made of Tange steel 1020 , this may mean nothing of course and 1020 may have been the time to knock off for morning tea..............
cheers david
Do Japanese robots take morning tea? An oil change perhaps... :lol:
Live to ride another day.

Why take unnecessary risks? No matter how small they are...

europa

Postby europa » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:48 am

triode12 wrote:Do Japanese robots take morning tea? An oil change perhaps... :lol:
Haven't you seen the ads on tele where two robots are discussing their social lives?

Richard

Seele

Postby Seele » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:00 am

xx68 wrote:Nice job Seele looks like yours was the sister to mine ! Mine was upgraded due to finding another bike in the cleanup ! Hardest part was cleaning the rims .
I've checked the serial # , due to reading things backwards it ends in 84 ....so its actually GF705884 stamped into the lh rear dropout
The number on mine ends with 71 so that might not be one that signifies the year of manufacture then.

Cleaning the rims is not really that bad, just repetitive and somewhat boring, but then if you have rusty spokes it would be something harder to tackle. Right now I am looking at a rear wheel that I found with Suntour Superbe Pro hub (with missing skewer) and Araya rim but rusty spokes: I have no idea why it was not built with stainless steel spokes as it seems like specifying re-treads to fit a new Mercedes. I'll think of something to do with that.

Speaking of skewer: I have one for a front wheel with the lever marked "SUPEROLIMPIC" (spelt as is) and don't seem to be able to find any information. Any idea?

531db

Postby 531db » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:35 am

xx68 wrote:

"Its also made of Tange steel 1020 , this may mean nothing of course and 1020 may have been the time to knock off for morning tea.............."

1020 is high (carbon) tensile steel. In the hieracy of tubing this was below 4130 Chrome Moly steel.

Most likely your frame has straight guage wall thickness of 1.0 -1.1mm. The frame will be quite heavy as a result.

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:17 pm

Error. This post can no longer be displayed.
Last edited by MountGower on Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:32 pm

MountGower wrote: Where did you get the Superlite decal from?
Sorry, that's the frame's natural state.
If you checked with the guy selling these he / she might be able to help.
Litespeed Classic - 3Al/2.5V titanium tube set, Record 9-speed groupset, Open Corsa Evo CX
Alchemy Diablo - Columbus Zonal tubing, Ultegra 9-speed groupset, UltraGatorskins

Kid_Carbine

Postby Kid_Carbine » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:18 am

That would be Greg Softley & he has a large number of different decals available. He will also entertain the manufacture of new ones if he feels there is a market for them. [they cost him a fair bit to set up]

He is hopefully currently making some Carbine ones for me. I had these drawn up by a professional & stored on a CD many years ago.
Carbine & SJH cycles, & Quicksilver BMX
Now that's AUSTRALIAN to the core.

uMP2k

Postby uMP2k » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:34 pm

Speaking of Repco Decals, I am wondering if anybody can remember whether Repco ever used a metal head tube badge, or alway just used the big "R" decal on the head tube.

I would really like a proper head badge for my soon to be reborn Tri-A and I am thinking that if Repco once used them then there are probably some quitely rusting away on onld Repcos somewhere :D .

If not I think I will see if I can get mysefl a "Nishiki" headbadge from the States - not too much of a stretch given it was a rebadged Nishiki anyway and, in my bike's case,from memory, it was actually sold with Nishiki branding decals on the downtube and seat tube , just a Repco head tube decal. Somebody on this forum mentioned in another thread that there was a period when this happened due to some sort of contractual problem between Repco and Nishiki.

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:24 pm

B*gger! I'm just back from a trip to the re-cycling centre and, while I looked at several Repco's I can't remember if I saw any head tube badges.
There were lots of, well 4 or 5, Apollo II's lying around.

triode12

Postby triode12 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:09 am

Just an update on the Repco Superlite I purchased off Ebay a couple of weeks ago for $41...

I finally took the time to pump up the tyres and take it for a test ride.

She runs well and she soaks up all the bumps, a very comfy ride. She climbs pretty well too, I didn't feel the weight (not that she is heavy to begin with at approx 10kg).

Her front derailleur clamp (300Exage) is badly rusted but the derailleur itself works fine. As does her rear. All that needs adjustment are her brakes, which are fading on the inclines.

She has a 54cm top tube and a 80mm stem, which is still a wee bit long for me.

I've decided not to spend any more money on her but she has already earned her keep for providing me with the information on frame fit. I now know that I should be looking at the following frame sizes: 51/52/53cm.

It is unlikely that she is a rebadged Nishiki, as there is nothing on the frame to suggest so. She is more likely a taiwanese made frame, maybe a Giant. Which is fine by me because I'm intending to use her as my daily commute to the train station.
Live to ride another day.

Why take unnecessary risks? No matter how small they are...

p-hawkins

Postby p-hawkins » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:57 pm

Hi,

Not sure where my last post went, so I will try again. I have scored a Repco Olympic 12 that was rescued from going to the Tip. It was just a frame and all the bits were then added. The decals on the bike are 1930s retro design and there are lables indicating Chrome Moly 4130 which I believe is at the higher quality end of the spectrum. Can anyone tell me about this bike?

Peter