elfoam

Re: Repco Appreciation Society

Postby elfoam » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:28 pm

Guy Miller wrote:Hi There
I have a repco superlite with frame number G 6700091
Is any one able to tell me the age of the bike
Regards
Guy
Easier to tell from a picture. The paint job changed with each year.

utedeej

Postby utedeej » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:39 am

1988/89 Repco High Sierra in great nick. Think I feel some drop bars and bar ends coming on. 20" c-c seat tube.

Deore F&R derailleurs, Shimano FC-B124 Crankset, Deore U Brake, Deore Cantilever brakes and super flash Deore XT shark fin on the chain stay :) Non original shifters and levers.

Would be a handy tourer.

TopSide

Postby TopSide » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:54 pm

Guy Miller wrote:Hi There
I have a repco superlite with frame number G 6700091
Is any one able to tell me the age of the bike
Regards
Guy
Hi Guy,

have you got the serial number correct? When the serial number starts with "G", then second character is usually a letter.

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:56 pm

It's been a long time since I've been on here. I last posted here:

Image Victory Tri-A

Image Superlite

The Superlite I passed on as seen a year ago. The circa '90 VictoryTri-A (pictured in mock-up mode about 8 years ago) I now have stripped down as a frameset, and fitted it with an early 90's Trek 5500 OCLV 1" threaded fork. I found the original fluro yellow fork was heavy, had minimal clearance on a 23C tyre, and required the use of an abnormally short-reach front brake caliper.

As I no longer have the time, space or inclination to build the Tri-A up as an operating road bike, I'll be posting this frameset for sale here as soon as I can get some pictures done.

Cheers, Tony

Guy Miller

Re: Repco Appreciation Society what year is it G 6700091 frame number

Postby Guy Miller » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:53 am

TopSide

Re: Repco Appreciation Society what year is it G 6700091 frame number

Postby TopSide » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:33 am

Guy Miller wrote:Image
Hi Guy,

thanks for confirming the serial number.

A 1986-87 model year. The frame was built by Giant of Taiwan. The first number character in the serial number indicates the year that the frame was made: 1986.

Gaint was changing their serial number format in late 1986. There was a short period in 1986 when the Giant serial numbers only had one letter in the serial number, the first character and it was always "G" for Giant. Later that year, and in following years, there was a second letter following the "G", which was an indication as to when in the year the frame was made.

The Superlite looks very good for 30 years old.

Guy Miller

Postby Guy Miller » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:53 am

Thank you very much for your help. Still goes well to
Guy

elfoam

Postby elfoam » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:55 pm

Any of you superlite crew feeling like getting a Tri A? Theres a victory in NSW 90 bucks, buy now http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-Repc ... Sw8aNXGKMz

samkimages

Postby samkimages » Sun May 08, 2016 3:51 pm

Hello, new Repco owner here! I was hoping you could help me identify this bike. I believe the serial number is L8K1691. A sticker identifies the frame as 1021 tube steel. There are Repco brandings, and I'm guessing it's a SuperLite, but I'm not really sure. I've put new tyres, seat, and chain on the bike, and it's in decent condition overall. I'm considering upgrading to brifters. Great little bike, especially for the price!

uart

Postby uart » Sun May 08, 2016 8:06 pm

samkimages wrote:Hello, new Repco owner here! I was hoping you could help me identify this bike. I believe the serial number is L8K1691. A sticker identifies the frame as 1021 tube steel. There are Repco brandings, and I'm guessing it's a SuperLite, but I'm not really sure. I've put new tyres, seat, and chain on the bike, and it's in decent condition overall. I'm considering upgrading to brifters. Great little bike, especially for the price!
I think it might be whatever the next model below the Superlite was (can't recall what that was named right now). The componentary looks fairly similar to the Superlite, but the Superlite had a CrMo (4130) main triangle. (1021 was their "Hi tensile" tubing).

From memory the model just below the Superlite looked quite similar (to the superlite), but had all "Hi Tensile" tubing instead of the 4130 main triangle.

elfoam

Postby elfoam » Sun May 08, 2016 8:50 pm

samkimages wrote:Hello, new Repco owner here! I was hoping you could help me identify this bike. I believe the serial number is L8K1691. A sticker identifies the frame as 1021 tube steel. There are Repco brandings, and I'm guessing it's a SuperLite, but I'm not really sure. I've put new tyres, seat, and chain on the bike, and it's in decent condition overall. I'm considering upgrading to brifters. Great little bike, especially for the price!

Hi mate it's one I haven't seen before but I went and looked through the catalogues. It's a 1988 Repco Monaco. As above the model just under the superlite :!). See the catalogue here. http://www.bloggingadeadhorse.com/hotfo ... #Catalogue

Beetle Bailey

Postby Beetle Bailey » Mon May 09, 2016 1:33 am

Where do I find new stickers/ decals for an Olympic 12 ?

samkimages

Postby samkimages » Mon May 09, 2016 10:17 am

I think it might be whatever the next model below the Superlite was (can't recall what that was named right now). The componentary looks fairly similar to the Superlite, but the Superlite had a CrMo (4130) main triangle. (1021 was their "Hi tensile" tubing).

From memory the model just below the Superlite looked quite similar (to the superlite), but had all "Hi Tensile" tubing instead of the 4130 main triangle.
Hi mate it's one I haven't seen before but I went and looked through the catalogues. It's a 1988 Repco Monaco. As above the model just under the superlite :!). See the catalogue here. http://www.bloggingadeadhorse.com/hotfo ... #Catalogue
Thanks for the quick replies! Great info. Looks just like the bike in the photo (Maybe a bit less shiny hehe). I'll try to post some photos once I have it all shined up. Cheers

samkimages

Postby samkimages » Mon May 09, 2016 12:26 pm

I'm thinking I'd like to upgrade the freewheel to a 7-speed and install brifters. I reckon I'll leave the rest as is. Any suggestions for sourcing parts?

uart

Postby uart » Mon May 09, 2016 12:26 pm

elfoam wrote:Hi mate it's one I haven't seen before but I went and looked through the catalogues. It's a 1988 Repco Monaco. As above the model just under the superlite :!). See the catalogue here. http://www.bloggingadeadhorse.com/hotfo ... #Catalogue
Ah yes, that was the name I couldn't think of elfoam. The Monarco.

Looking through that catalogue really brought back memories. In the late 80's one of my friends bought a new Monaco, all red and white and shiny. And there I was still riding my rusty old k-mart "Road King" - I was so envious. So off I went to the local bike shop to get one for myself, but I ended up coming home with a blue and white Superlite instead. Ha, now my friend was the one with the envy! And all because of that little "4130" sticker on what was otherwise an almost identical bike to his. :P

I've actually still got that superlite, though unfortunately the condition is not great because of less than ideal storage. Anyway, that's an upcoming project. :)

samkimages

Postby samkimages » Mon May 09, 2016 2:52 pm

I've actually still got that superlite, though unfortunately the condition is not great because of less than ideal storage. Anyway, that's an upcoming project. :)
Sounds like a fun project! The Monaco rides really nicely. I'm definitely keeping my eyes out for a SuperLite upgrade though!

Jmiersy

Postby Jmiersy » Thu May 19, 2016 1:28 pm

Hi fellow cyclers,

This is a Superlite I have owned for some time. Im going to need your help in figuring out how to replace (and what with) the cranks and pedals as they are threaded. Ill post more infor and better pictured later. I love this bike though.

Thanks for having me.

cray-

Postby cray- » Fri May 20, 2016 1:04 pm

Too small, wrong state. Anyone here? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/162075808102

munga

Postby munga » Fri May 20, 2016 7:36 pm

to small for me, but a ripper repco frame!

Death_defying

Postby Death_defying » Sun May 22, 2016 5:28 pm

Hi guys, newbie here. So please be kind with the replies! I've got an old repco here that I was hoping someone could help me identify. I believe it may be a superlite. The serial number is GF9C2860

I can't post pics yet, but when I'm able to I will. It's blue and white. Exactly the same paint scheme as jmiersy's but blue not red. It has accushift derailleur and levers and champion handlebars. Hope this helps and thanks in advance!

uart

Postby uart » Sun May 22, 2016 8:01 pm

Death_defying wrote:I can't post pics yet, but when I'm able to I will. It's blue and white.
Yeah I think you have to make a few posts before you can link images (to reduce users signing up just to post spam).

Does the frame have a tubing sticker at the top of the seat tube. It should say CrMo (eg 4130) if it's a superlite or better. Otherwise it might say something like "1020" or 'Hi ten" or "Hi tensile".

Death_defying

Postby Death_defying » Mon May 23, 2016 12:31 am

Hi mate. I know the sticker you speak of. This hasn't got anything of the sort. The only sticker it has is the chain slap sticker on the rear stay to stop it from chipping. That says acushift. Also I believe some of the R at the front steering head is still there. Pretty certain it's a super lite. The serial number can't help identify what model it is ?

koshari

Postby koshari » Wed May 25, 2016 4:56 pm

Jmiersy wrote:Hi fellow cyclers,................................
firstly, hello JM and welcome to the thread.
This is a Superlite I have owned for some time. Im going to need your help in figuring out how to replace (and what with) the cranks and pedals as they are threaded.
Why do you need to replace them????
-are they damaged?
-Do you want to put a compact on it??( i did on my repco as its hilly here and i was labouring on some hills)
when you say they are threaded i assume you are referring to the bottom bracket as 99% of these vintage bikes came out with square taper cranks,- how much money do you want to spend???
as for pedals any 9/16 pedal will fit on the cranks, i have the standard clips that came with it and they ride fine, if you like you could put some clipless pedals on if you wanted to uy some cycling shoes.

koshari

Postby koshari » Wed May 25, 2016 6:04 pm

samkimages wrote:I'm thinking I'd like to upgrade the freewheel to a 7-speed and install brifters. I reckon I'll leave the rest as is. Any suggestions for sourcing parts?
the easiest way would be to get yourself a new 7 speed screw-on freewheel (iam assuming the monaco has a 6 speed screw-on freewheel atm, these new are cheap as chips, think 20 bucks delivered,
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Shimano-MF-T ... Swf-VWVpsz
make sure you dont get one of the cheaper ones that dont have shifting ramps on the sprockets. you will also need a cassette/freehub tool, http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Cassette-Fly ... SwpDdVWabn
after upgrading this part you should be able to ride the bike as a 7 speed using the downshifters on friction mode rather than indexing.

stage 2 will require some downtube stops, and brifters, and a couple of cables and some gear outer.

downtube stops your looking at about 15 bucks a pair,
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/272224211036 ... EBIDX%3AIT

then there is the dearest part of the lot , the brifters, given 8 speed and 7 speed spacing is nearly the same 8 speed brifters would be the best choice for 3 reasons,
-they will work fine with your 7 speed freewheel,
-they are generally cheaper as they are still in production, more were produced and many avail second hand.
-later you can use then on an upgraded 8 speed cassette if you like.

there was a set of sora 8 speed brifters going on the buy and sell area for round 30 bucks. they dont come up very often so keep your eyes open. otherwise the new path is pretty pricey, we are talkin $100odd for some microshifts, (compatable with shimano ) and +$150 for sora 2300 or claris 2400.
its worth looking out for a doner bike as well, small or extra large roadeys come up occasionally for round 100 bucks with various issues, i got a donar bike for the groupo thar had been backed onto whilst leaning up in a carpot for 100 bucks, the rims and frame were bent to the point of being write-offs however the RD/brifters/FD and cassette were all fine,
good luck.

Nishiki54

Postby Nishiki54 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:20 pm

Hi Guys

Brand new to both the forum and steel bikes! I've just picked up first Repco, bought off Gumtree for $170. It's a Cresta, serial number AD01613, so I'm guessing that puts it at 1984 / 85 based on the prefixes/numbers?

All original parts, including a very nifty dynamo for the front and rear light. So far I've only added a small bell. The frame has some small areas of rust, but a bit of scrubbing with alfoil / steel wool got rid of lots of the surface grime and rust and brought it to the level of finish you see below...in fact, the front light has almost a mirror finish now. Took it in for a general service as it hadn't been ridden by the original owner in over 15 years, and the only major hitch are some hairline cracks along the tire walls, so will keep an eye on that. Otherwise shifters and brakes worked beautifully, and the ride was smooth as. Would love some feedback on what else to look out for or any suggested improvements to keep this beauty running for many years to come.