Repco Appreciation Society

dodgiebros

Olympic 14 for sale

Postby dodgiebros » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:59 am

There's an Olympic 14 (small) for sale on Dumtree in Sydney if anyones interested? It's exactly like mine, I could buy it for spares but nah. It was up for sale at $200 but he's just dropped it to $100. May knock him down further?... We could really get this purple repco bunch ride happening lol :lol:

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/fairfiel ... 1106958219

dodgiebros

Olympic 14

Postby dodgiebros » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:11 pm

Almost finished overhaul of my new town bike, Olympic 14. Still got original wheels to clean up and true yet but all is going well. I'll hit the bike paths tomorrow and see how she fairs :mrgreen:

Before...

After...

koshari

Re: Repco Appreciation Society

Postby koshari » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:29 pm

nice new gummies, are you gonna put some rapidfire pods on the flats?

dodgiebros

Postby dodgiebros » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:06 pm

koshari wrote:nice new gummies, are you gonna put some rapidfire pods on the flats?
Good idea but nah I think I'll leave it as is. There's something about downtube shifters that keep the 'retro' feel to it when riding :mrgreen:

markpa

Repco Superlite Hobart

Postby markpa » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:45 am

Hi all you appreciative Repco souls.

Hobart Bike Kitchen is a group in Hobart who help people get and maintain bikes. Once a year we go to the Sustainable Living Festival and have a auction which funds us through the next year.

We have a good set of bikes for the auction this weekend including a lovely Repco Superlite with the multi coloured paint job.

There are more pics. on https://hobartbikekitchen.org/auction-b ... superlite/

If you're interested please let me know at hobartbikekitchen@gmail.com .

dv

Postby dv » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:22 am

Repco Elite RX - she lives! Still love the retro colour (thanks Tallywhacker)

Big frame - but still needed the long seat post :D

dodgiebros

Postby dodgiebros » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:37 pm

dv wrote:Repco Elite RX - she lives! Still love the retro colour (thanks Tallywhacker)

Wow! How tall are you Lurch!? :D

koshari

Postby koshari » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:09 pm

dodgiebros wrote:
dv wrote:Repco Elite RX - she lives! Still love the retro colour (thanks Tallywhacker)

Wow! How tall are you Lurch!? :D
I was thinking this myself.

nedm

Postby nedm » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:33 am

Hi All,

New to repco's and found this thread whilst trying to get some info on a bike im looking to pick up tonight

Its this

Does anyone have details on it? Year, frame material, where it sits in the repco range?

Not looking to profit, im on the hunt for a fun commuter/single track/pub bike.

Cheers
Ned

sirrombi

Postby sirrombi » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:59 pm

Posted this elsewhere but reckon I should put it here?.....

This is my Repco Nishiki Tri A, bought from Peter Barty of Barty's Bikes, Mackay in 1987. $1000, top of the range, at that time.

Still in original condition, complete with a few rust spots from honest sweat, and Profile Aero Bars bought from Mikes Bikes, Miami also in 1987.

Shimano 600 Gear, Araya Rims, Turbo Seat.

koshari

Postby koshari » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:50 pm

just added another repco to the collection,
Last edited by koshari on Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maccayak

Postby maccayak » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:16 pm

Repco Skidstar :) . I have seen a few of those come up recently.

koshari

Postby koshari » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:02 pm

was skidster a generic term macca? i see some malvern stars with the same model.

maccayak

Postby maccayak » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:00 pm

No it was just a Malvern Star "sub Brand/model". In the 60's and 70's they all ended in star. The equivalent MS model to your Repco might have been a "Roadstar" (no gears). Skidstars had 3 speed and a couple frame varieties. Yours is a lovely old bike.

What are the plans for it?

Cheers Geoff

koshari

Postby koshari » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:08 pm

maccayak wrote:No it was just a Malvern Star "sub Brand/model". In the 60's and 70's they all ended in star. The equivalent MS model to your Repco might have been a "Roadstar" (no gears). Skidstars had 3 speed and a couple frame varieties. Yours is a lovely old bike.

What are the plans for it?

Cheers Geoff
Thes gonna be a rider but she is vying with the assembly of a new carport among other things on the to-do list.
The Bill of materials has consisted of;
- tyres,
- tubes
- a cotter pin, sure i had one in the spare box but cant find it.
and clidey scott put me on to a replica saddle which arrived today, on inspection of the yum-cha vintage knock off saddle I will use the new cover and the springs (some are missing/stretched) and paint the old saddle frame and re-use that as its a lot more solid. the bottom bracket cleaned up all right and after a polish and lick of crome spray the cranks look ok,

so all up about 70 bucks.

the rear wheel has been pulled down with the rear coaster hub rebuilt and the spokes vinegar bathed and the rim blasted, painted and rebuilt,

the front requires the same all though if i were to put the new tyre and tube on it it would be ridable when the cotter pin comes.

also the stem required a bit of attention as well but the piece of tubing that was wedged into the stuck seatpost fortunately just happened to be exactly the same diameter (22.2) as the stem tube that had had the lowed flared tabs broken off, this has since been repaired.

With the new tyre on the rebuilt wheel and inflated these 28 1 3/8 wheels really are HUGE!!

scutmonkey

Postby scutmonkey » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:46 am

So, finally, nearly a year later, I have got my first project "finished" . Or at least, in one piece.
The (?Flying) Purple People Eater.

I think it's a contender in the " ridiculously fluorescent bike " category, in the same vein as one or two of the Superlites on this thread.
All original parts except consumables.
Stripped to a bare frame, everything regreased after a good clean, hubs stripped, cleaned, regreased and bearings replaced with Grade 5 bearings front and rear :lol: :lol: ( overkill, I know, but that's this bike in a nutshell).
Wheels professionally relaced, ( next skill to learn maybe??), cranks hand polished.
First ride this evening if weather permits.
And yes, there's a few angles and sizes that need slight adjustment. But I'm excited it's finally finished.

https://goo.gl/photos/A83BXY8SKXQHG8iN9

https://goo.gl/photos/34vAFhKX4oykpw4Q9

https://goo.gl/photos/rbiKJ55r71Hsoohk9
Hope these links work.

Thanks to the friendly members of this forum for answering beginner questions. ( koshari and others) Keep it friendly. 8)

Cheers

koshari

Postby koshari » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:28 pm

very nice work with the resto there tim, the tires look pretty nice, will be hard to keep the bright rubber so shiney,

roborms

Postby roborms » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:35 pm

Can any one tell me where I can obtain a cassett or rear wheel assembly for my much loved Olympic 14, it failed on me after 13 yrs great service.
roborms

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:53 pm

Ebay/Gumtree is your best bet. Look for an old second hand 14 speed bike for a donor set of wheels. It will be your cheapest option. If your willing to spend a bit more coin look for a wheel set of built up with 7 speed Shimano Ultegra hubs. The best value and reliable 7 speed cassette style hub IMO.

roborms

Postby roborms » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:43 am

Thank you Scott, most apreciated.
I picked up a Repco Olympic 12 in excellent condition this morning for $65, just needs tires so I will retire the old 14. If anyone wants it for parts please let me know. Bob

Stealthy Ninja

Postby Stealthy Ninja » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:35 am

Sorry double post. See post below.
Last edited by Stealthy Ninja on Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stealthy Ninja

Postby Stealthy Ninja » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:21 am

Picked up this de ville frame for cheap (and in fairly good condition).

Didn't do much to it. Cleaned it and sanded back some minor rust. Then (leaving the scratches bare) I sprayed it all with "white knight rust guard top coat" to preserve the scratches (adds character) while protecting from rusting.

Then added bits and bobs (including forks) from an old "oxford" bike I got for free (I sprayed the forks blue).

Then added wheels and crank from a 2006 Trek 1000. New inner tubes and chain. Whitewall tyres from Gumtree.

Brakes at rear are orginal (from the Oxford) and the front are new (but I believe the same brand as the rear ones, just shiny).

Handlebars are new Ritchey ones I got cheap at a bike shop. They look nice.

I have new brake cables, but still need to replace the gear cables (one broke already).

Pedals are mountain bike spd "freeride" pedals I got for free off a guy. They're the same as the ones I have on my mtb, so I'm keeping it simple when it comes to cleats/shoes.

mitchj

Repco Crosstracks XT2

Postby mitchj » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:18 pm

G'day all,
I was given this the other day (minus the wheels, seat/post, & bars/stem, I just threw them on for the heck of it), & am trying to find out some info on it -
When I got it, it had twist grip shifters hanging off it (no bars), so I immediately thought it's crap. But then I noticed it's got a derailer hanger, Shimano Altus derailers & cranks (all dating to 1993), descent looking Shimano centre pull brakes, & a quick release seat post clamp. It says "Repco Tough" on the frame, & does not have a "not for off road use etc." sticker on it. The 700c wheels I put on seem to be the right size (it had a 27" front wheel in it...). I've tried to Google some info on it but get nothing, not even in Images. I don't think it's anything special, but I get the feeling it wasn't total rubbish either. I'm not sure why, but I quite like it, so I'm going to rebuild it (probably with the bits I've put on it).

Any info/opinions on it would be muchly appreciated!

Juzi

Repco superlite

Postby Juzi » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:46 pm

Hi, I really need some help with this bike, my brother bought it brand new and I know when he bought dad flipped out at how much he bought it for, somehow he got sick of it ( hardly ridden ) so we bought it off him nearly 18 years ago, he had it for quite few years before that, I'm tipping it is about 28-y29 years old, I'm sure my brother was about 18-20 when he bought it he is now 51. To be honest we have never ridden it, so we have decided to sell it, but every time I advertise it someone says to cheap it's very special, so could someone please explain to me what makes this bike special.
Also where is the idiots guide to attaching a photo?

munga

Re: Repco superlite

Postby munga » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:47 pm

Juzi wrote:Hi, I really need some help with this bike, my brother bought it brand new and I know when he bought dad flipped out at how much he bought it for, somehow he got sick of it ( hardly ridden ) so we bought it off him nearly 18 years ago, he had it for quite few years before that, I'm tipping it is about 28-y29 years old, I'm sure my brother was about 18-20 when he bought it he is now 51. To be honest we have never ridden it, so we have decided to sell it, but every time I advertise it someone says to cheap it's very special, so could someone please explain to me what makes this bike special.
Also where is the idiots guide to attaching a photo?
you need to have the photo online somewhere else, and put a link to it here. eg put it on your facebook, then right click the image (on facebook), then 'copy' the image location. then open the editor here, click the IMG button, and 'paste' the address of the image between the IMG tags.