Repco Appreciation Society

Equip_Pro2

Re: Repco Appreciation Society

Postby Equip_Pro2 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:41 pm

boingk wrote:Nice one adam! Looking very schmick, I've got definite wheelset envy. I bet she rides beautifully.

I picked up another Oly 12 from the tip for $5, its a larger frame than the one I already have and has better rims, so I transfered the bars and cabling over to this frame.

I may make the smaller frame a more track oriented build or fixed gear to take advantage of the small, light frame. In the meantime I'm enjoying the fullsizer!

- boingk
Where is this tip? I'd like to make a visit myself to pick up some bargains!

maccayak

Postby maccayak » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:37 pm

There was an older superlite on ebay recently, anyone here buy it? I would have got shot if I bought it but thought about putting in an offer. Not fussed about not getting it, just hoping it went to someone here. Sorry I don't have the ebay link.

elfoam

Postby elfoam » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:55 pm

maccayak wrote:There was an older superlite on ebay recently, anyone here buy it? I would have got shot if I bought it but thought about putting in an offer. Not fussed about not getting it, just hoping it went to someone here. Sorry I don't have the ebay link.
I remember seeing a gold and black one from mid? 80s. Looked quite good.

adam0bmx0

Postby adam0bmx0 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:15 pm

And she's finished, box of parts arrived form Wiggle today and I promptly started fitting;

I don't actually know the year of the Repco?

Frame: Repco Elite RX 57cm square
Saddle: Selle Italia Q-Bik Flow (New)
Wheels: Giant P-SL1
Tyres: Continental Ultra Sport 25cc (New)
Bars + Stem: Sakae Ergonomic
Cranks: Dura Ace 7800 - 170mm
Rings: Outer ring is 52T Bio Pace, inner 39T Rotor Q-Ring
BB: Shimano BB-R60 Ultra 6800 (New)
Cassette: Shimano CS-HG50 7-Speed 12-28T (New )
Chain: Shimano CN-HG40 (New)
Pedals: Look Keo Classic
Fr & Rr RD: Shimano RX100
Brakes: Shimano RX100
New cables fitted

She's rides like a dream, never used D/T shifters before so took a bit of getting used to which way to pull/push them!

So overall very pleased with it. :)

repco-superlight

Postby repco-superlight » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:57 pm

Bike looks great. I like the modern equipment on the old frame. Same idea I am going for.

How do you find to oval chain ring?

Will get a good picture tomorrow before all my parts arrive for my conversion to triathlon duties.

Fitted a new generic sealed bearing bottom and it is running like a dream. Last timed 20km was average 35.4kph.

adam0bmx0

Postby adam0bmx0 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:25 pm

To be honest, I didn't really notice a difference..........quads maybe felt slightly more 'activated' after a bit of riding, but in terms of how it feels when pedalling, felt normal.

tomalophicon

Postby tomalophicon » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:37 pm

nice!
What seat post is that?

K2

Postby K2 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:09 am

If anyone near Rye, Victoria is looking for an mtb, there's a cheap Repco K2 on eBay [no association]. It's been relisted several times at the same $40 starting price.

Looks same as mine....early '90s, should be full Deore LX [mine came with an XT fd for some unknown reason], looks quite tidy.

I call it an mtb but I think I once saw something somewhere on the net referring to it as a touring bike...perhaps due to the gruppo at the time. Mine's done close to 35,000klms [mostly on road in the last 5 years] and is finally due some attention to the chain, etc. Other than rubber it's only had a gear cable replaced. Solid as old skool goodness.

elfoam

Postby elfoam » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:48 pm

adam0bmx0 wrote:To be honest, I didn't really notice a difference..........quads maybe felt slightly more 'activated' after a bit of riding, but in terms of how it feels when pedalling, felt normal.
I notice the biopace rings completely different to round rings. I don't much like the biopace ring in the standard position. For whatever reason they seem to drain my legs more. I do like them better moved forward one bolt hole but it's still not quite where they should be. I've ordered some rings from Doval at 100BCD for my carbon bike that have a really serious amount of oval on them and a different rotation to the old biopace so I'm excited to try them out, by all accounts they are very good.. If they work out I'll be getting some at 130 BCD for my Repco to replace the biopace.

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:42 am

Finally got around to taking my Eurotrash Tri-A out for a proper ride this morning. A standard 30km bunch ride around the local hills that I generally do a couple of times a week.

It goes good!

Biopace rings are a bit weird. I first really noticed them when I eased off at the top of the first hill (to let the others catch up ;-) ), and tried to spin along at high cadence without really putting any work into the drivetrain. It takes a very different kind of spin to keep the chain tight but not loaded.

The bike feels amazingly solid and well grounded when standing. Not sure if it's the prolonged powerstroke of the Biopace rings, the low bottom bracket, the steering geometry, the longer wheelbase of the bike compared to what I'm used to... maybe even the narrow bars. Probably a combination. Took a minute to get comfortable with the different feel, but I think I like it.

Indexed downtube shifters... wow, so accurate and precise. A bit of an inconvenience to have to reach right down there, but it's got me thinking about Retroshift levers again. Not sure I like the skinny bony little brake hoods... might have to see about taping the levers under the hoods.

The whole bike is tight and very quiet, and rolls beautifully. I cleaned, regreased and adjusted all the bearings, but it's amazing to think that the moving parts are in such good shape after about 27 years.

Yes, I can hear you all from here, "What the ... is with that stem?!".
Suffice to say, that stem is why I usually ride a custom frame. Built like a T-rex - I just can't reach the bars of a conventionally proportioned bike. Even with the bars right up there (and right back there), I'm still quite low on the bike. That being the case, I'm quite happy with this high rise quill stem as a solution. Looks almost like it belongs there. Better than my first fit, using an A-head adapter and high-rise MTB stem. Bleurgh.

I quite like that the bike still has the front wheel reflector, and the pie-plate spoke protector behind the cluster. Pity the previous owner dented the rear rim and had to replace it, because the rest of it is quite original, and the front Araya rim matches the blue/green anodised 105 groupset nicely.

tim

repco-superlight

Postby repco-superlight » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:43 am

So the remainder of the parts for the handlebar change have arrived so here is it before the changes.

elfoam

Postby elfoam » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:16 pm

Anyone know what Repco is blue like the bike above but yellow forks and head tube etc?. Saw a young girl riding one earlier today in a flannel shirt and jeans, was a total 80s throwback, she was moving pretty fast too, her friend was on a retro mtb struggling :). In other news I put the Doval chainrings on my carbon bike as a test to see how a properly oval modern chainring goes.. Veryyy weird, my opposite foot is getting dragged back faster than it's moving so the whole foot feels weightless or being pulled or a bit of both as the other foot is in the power stroke, I guess it'll take some getting used to. But it seems to have plenty of grunt, I ordered the 50-36 chainring set in %16 Oval and I rode up the biggest hill I could find nearby just now which isn't that hugely steep but still decent and I rode up that on the 35 and 15 on the cassette comfortably. Anyway that's not retro news but I feel they are worlds better than the biopace so I will get a set for my Victory Tri A at some stage.

Barefoot, your Tri A sounds awesome, I'm a bit jealous of the 105.. I have the old 105 on my Elite RX and it does shift like a dream, I can't get my Exage to shift properly at the moment since I put a new chain and cassette on it. Btw adma0bmx0 your Elite is awesome :), must be have the best parts of any Elite RX that ever existed.

gbasile77

Postby gbasile77 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:27 pm

6 months and around 4,000km and the Repco is still going strong. Great bike and always puts a smile on my dial.

Minority

Postby Minority » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:26 pm

A bit of Superlite action for you:

cray-

Postby cray- » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:27 pm

elfoam wrote:Anyone know what Repco is blue like the bike above but yellow forks and head tube etc?
If it was a Vertex TT then you should hafve chased her down and started making offers. :D Not sure what else came in that colorway.

elfoam

Postby elfoam » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:20 pm

It wasn't a vertex.. The forks were yellow with the head tube yellow, rest was blue. I'm 99% sure it was a repco, saw a decal as I drove past, but only drove past so I could be mistaken :). If I had to guess it was a mid 80s style paint job. Anyway I guess I'll see it around again.

2sharp

Postby 2sharp » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:13 pm

My first post I do believe,
Heres a Superlite frame I picked up roadside recently. Looks like red fade to white was the original colour scheme. Looks like it'll be an ok size for me, similar to my carbon road bike, but I haven't measured it yet.
No seat, seat post, handlebars, wheels or front derailleur. Pretty sure the stamp on the bottom says A9206
I'll be sure to have follow up posts regarding the restoration with advice needed for parts replacement etc. I think I'll do a restore to similar vintage gear but not be fastidious with regards authenticity. It needs to be cheap too. Will probably just use it as a townie.
Here's a link to the Dropbox folder if the pix don't work.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/r5nps06h553e ... 3FAFa?dl=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jon

maccayak

Postby maccayak » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:57 pm

88/89 model. A bit of work there but anything is possible. Shame it has been repainted.

elfoam

Postby elfoam » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:28 pm

Theres a 56 square pink with white flecks Tri A Eurosport just gone up for sale on retro bike facebook. $200. Its cute.

maccayak

Postby maccayak » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:00 am

2sharp wrote:My first post I do believe,
Heres a Superlite frame I picked up roadside recently. Looks like red fade to white was the original colour scheme. Looks like it'll be an ok size for me, similar to my carbon road bike, but I haven't measured it yet.
No seat, seat post, handlebars, wheels or front derailleur. Pretty sure the stamp on the bottom says A9206
Jon
There's a complete one of these in QLD on Gumtree for $80, looks pretty good.
Cheers Geoff

koshari

Postby koshari » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:54 am

just took the old repco elite out for a spin,

nice still day with willywind reporting 3.6km/h, 4 PRs on strava and 31km/h average over an hour ride, not bad for an old vintage steed :-)

http://www.strava.com/activities/507267216" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

repco-superlight

Postby repco-superlight » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:03 pm

Nicley done koshari.

I have been doing a fair bit of riding on mine including a triathlon last weekend. Averaged 34.5kph over 18kms no drafting allowed.

https://www.strava.com/activities/503949445" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am still building fitness and working on positioning on the bike. I could only hold the aero position for about half of it so there is more to improve yet.

koshari

Postby koshari » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:53 pm

repco-superlight wrote:Nicley done koshari.

I have been doing a fair bit of riding on mine including a triathlon last weekend. Averaged 34.5kph over 18kms no drafting allowed.

https://www.strava.com/activities/503949445" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am still building fitness and working on positioning on the bike. I could only hold the aero position for about half of it so there is more to improve yet.
awesome work there, looks like a very nice route, iam sure the view would spur you on a bit, on the flip side it looks like it could be subject to sea breezes in the arvo.
not much that resembles a hill there either, good to see the congaline OF PRs getting notched up on the old girl. i take it you got different bars on her now?

repco-superlight

Postby repco-superlight » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:15 pm

Finally got some semi decent pics with the new setup.

Guy Miller

Postby Guy Miller » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:56 pm

Hi There
I have a repco superlite with frame number G 6700091
Is any one able to tell me the age of the bike
Regards
Guy