Repco Appreciation Society

munga

Re: Repco Appreciation Society

Postby munga » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:58 pm

4130. not even close to repco's best offerings, and not to be compared to their earlier 531c and litage frames

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:07 pm

Well I know nothing about the Guy Leech repcos but that reminds me of when I saw a picture of Greg Lemond riding a Huffy branded bike. He was sponsored by them for some time. That bike he was riding though was some super duper light weight Colombus tubed custom build.

munga

Postby munga » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:13 pm

Funnybikes has a huffy, which he has posted on here.

master6

Postby master6 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:34 am

koshari wrote:how did they do the chrome masking? did they chrome the whole frame then mask it out for the painted sections? i didnt think you could do electroplating on parts of a frame?
You could ask a clever electrician :D

I have a Repco frame from 1958. Tips were chromed in about 1961. Only the areas that were to display chrome in the finished job were polished before electroplating.

Now to my electrical question ay koshari :?:

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:41 am

In a different application (jewellery) I've worked with electroplaters who use a paint varnish, like nail polish, to protect the areas which don't need plating. Then acetone to clean off the varnish.

cray-

Postby cray- » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:13 pm

yugyug wrote:Well I know nothing about the Guy Leech repcos but that reminds me of when I saw a picture of Greg Lemond riding a Huffy branded bike. He was sponsored by them for some time. That bike he was riding though was some super duper light weight Colombus tubed custom build.
I believe Koichi Yamaguchi had a hand in the US Team Huffy/Raleigh bikes of that era: http://www.yamaguchibike.com/content/Hi ... Experience" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This thread is a great read, guy documents his time at the Yamaguchi frame building school. Lots of cool photos and info.

And checkout Post #10 for a department store Huffy TT bike: http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vinta ... -bike.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

#offtopic

Malvernrats

Postby Malvernrats » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:44 pm

Hello . How much is too much to pay ? Or the fair going rate for an Olympic 14 . Good rideable original condition.
It's got that funky pink white green thing happening .
Thanks

schuberj

Postby schuberj » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:34 pm

Hmm, that is a question that could have many answers, and in the end it would be how much are you willing to pay for it? I would imagine one of these would have been around $500-$600 new if that is any help. Personally I don't think any of the Repco bikes with the exception of the Vertexes are really worth more than about $200 now, although I have paid more than that for particular bikes I have wanted. Then I have also got a 1989 Eurosport for free, so it is really up to want you want and what you find. It seems sometimes that the price is based more on a particular colour than the bike itself.

Bear in mind that those fluoro colours will fade (if they have not already) on any bike that you are using outside a lot :P

Mediocratus

Postby Mediocratus » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:45 pm

Malvernrats wrote:Hello . How much is too much to pay ? Or the fair going rate for an Olympic 14 . Good rideable original condition.
It's got that funky pink white green thing happening .
Thanks
Remember that you will probably need to replace tyres and cables. Allow for them in your cost calculations.

munga

Postby munga » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:15 pm

Malvernrats, are you buying it or selling it?

Malvernrats

Postby Malvernrats » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:02 pm

Thinking about buying one . Not to sure about the build of the frame, origin, tubing and weight that sort of thing . I'm happy to let it go but if it's desirable and above midrange for its period them I'm in ...

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:16 pm

the Oly 14 I have is certainly nothing special tubing wise. Heavy as and tig welded butt joins. I think I even I had to drill out the unicrown fork to put some half decent later recessed nut dual pivot brakes on it.

Main reason I held onto it because it's my size at 60cm and it built up into a good flat bar runabout to leave at my Mum's place.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

munga

Postby munga » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:17 am

certainly not midrange, or above midrange, in the grand scheme of things.
i loved mine to bits, but i wouldn't swap any of my current bikes to have it back.

schuberj

Postby schuberj » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:19 am

HappyHumber wrote:the Oly 14 I have is certainly nothing special tubing wise. Heavy as and tig welded butt joins. I think I even I had to drill out the unicrown fork to put some half decent later recessed nut dual pivot brakes on it.
I have never had an Olympic 14, however I do have an Olympic 12 and 16. It is interesting that the seat post changed from 26.6 on the 12 to 26.2 on the 16. At some stage they have obviously moved to much cheaper, heavier tubing. I only discovered this last night when trying to swap over some parts!

schuberj

Postby schuberj » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:24 am

Hi Guys,

Sorry it has been a while, but I am reposting the 1988 Repco catalogue after the demise of Flickr (or at least of logging in without a Yahoo account, which I refuse to ever open). So I have gone for everyone's favourite Photobucket (after struggling with Picasa for some time and not being able to just post an image). I know how much of a pain it is to not have these available when you are looking for info so thought it was time to get off my butt!

Catalogue is here.

Also if anyone is interested in pics of my ultimate 80s bike, the 1988 Eurosport Tri-A in smokey fuchsia and white, soon to be upgraded to 6400 "tricolour" 7 speed Ultegra.

Also check out The Eggmans Eurosport pickup, looks like another Repco getting back on the road. I know it is one of the colours I have heard people here lusting after :)

schuberj

Postby schuberj » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:54 am

Another picture that went missing from one of my earlier posts, my current work bike built and photographed earlier this year. It has done over 1 500km now (and badly needs a clean)!

And the sad state of my garage. The blue bike (which was an Olympic 16) has now moved to my brother's place on the Gold Coast, but of course has been replaced (with a lower spec Ricardo, a story for another topic).

2wheels_mond

Postby 2wheels_mond » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:03 pm

Wow, love both of those Repcos schuberj.

Mine's also undergone a bit of surgery. I bought this Superlite from another member on here a few months back for the uni commute:

But to use it for the work commute as well, I needed some lower gearing. Well, luckily enough, I scored a good deal on some R500 wheels ($100 including some half-decent Specialized tyres) and a Tiagra groupset ($200), and off to work I went.

Took (almost) everything off:

And put it together again:

I just love all the funky colour schemes the Superlites came in. If anyone knows the build year of the frame (and/or can link me to a catalogue), I'd be very happy. Exage parts had a build code dating them to '89 - so I assume a 1990 frame?

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:41 pm

2wheels check out the catalogs at http://www.bloggingadeadhorse.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

but I was just having a look and I couldn't see your superlite.It has the same decals as the 90-91 year model, but the color scheme doesn't match with any year, through closest in style to 91-92. The 93 catalog is missing, if it exists.

Nice bikes you and Schuberj both have.

I'm sure this has come up before on this long thread, but I was pretty surprised to see this in the 88-89 catalog:

Reynolds 531 made in Australia hellenic frame with campag bits.

schuberj

Postby schuberj » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:33 pm

It was not unusual for the Japanese manufacturers to bring out a new colour mid model year (such as the smokey green and white Victory Tri-A and Fuchsia Splatter Eurosport in 88-89) so I would not be surprised if this tradition continued with the Taiwanese built bikes. I would definitely put it in the 90-91 model year as the victory from that year had a similar colour scheme. Love the purple cables by the way!

There are a number of Vertex Vicenzas around in various stages of originality. I swear we are getting to the stage where we need a photo only thread for each model!

Rob74

Postby Rob74 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:49 pm

Schuberj
Noted your post, Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:24 pm... "pics of my ultimate 80s bike, the 1988 Eurosport Tri-A in smokey fuchsia and white"

I have picked up the bigger version of yours
Seat Tube - 610
Top Tube - 565
Down Tube - 630
Rear Stay - 575
Chain Stay - 405
Head Tube - 140 (O/A 195)
Stand Over - 855
Wheelbase - 1000
Seat at 1090, and stem at max ht top of bars is 970. more drop than I'm used to

I find the sizing a bit odd compared to the:
Vertex
Seat Tube - 618
Top Tube - 580
Down Tube - 645
Rear Stay - 575
Chain Stay - 400
Head Tube - 150 (O/A 205)
Stand Over - 870
Wheelbase - 996
Seat at 1090, and stem at max ht top of bars is 990.

Olympic 12
Seat Tube - 630
Top Tube - 570
Down Tube - 625
Rear Stay - 585
Chain Stay - 420
Head Tube - 160 (O/A 212)
Stand Over - 878
Wheelbase - 996 with race fork (1020 with standard fork)
Seat at 1090, and stem at max ht top of bars is 1000.

Yours looks like a 22&1/2" frame
=>> What are the dimensions?

Rob

munga

Postby munga » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:12 am

schuberj wrote: There are a number of Vertex Vicenzas around in various stages of originality.
show me the money!

Rob74

Postby Rob74 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:00 pm

by munga » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:12 pm
schuberj wrote:There are a number of Vertex Vicenzas around in various stages of originality.
show me the money!

=>> If you have or see a 64cm one for sale let me know.

Rob

schuberj

Postby schuberj » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:54 pm

Rob74 wrote:=>> What are the dimensions?
Is there a post somewhere that shows what the standard is for getting all those measurements, i.e. centre to centre, length of actual tube etc.? I don't mind measuring it but want to make sure I am getting the correct measurements for you.

I remember in the day we used to think these frames were 22" square, not sure what that was based on because I am sure I have measured more recently and got different results. The Victory and Eurosport (Japanese) frames were definitely smaller than the Giant ones though (no pun intended :P )

Rob74

Postby Rob74 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:44 am

Hi schuberj re
"Is there a post somewhere that shows what the standard is for getting all those measurements"

Dims Pic

You can then Put data into Here or Here

I've measured centre to centre for all. Except Head tube where 1st measurement is centre to centre & 2nd measurement in brackets is Overall just the frame head tube ie not including bearing cups.

Rob

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:24 pm

I find that seat tube centre to top is a far more useful measurement. Especially when dealing with the length of vintage seatposts.