Repco Appreciation Society

singlespeedscott

Re: Repco Appreciation Society

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:43 am

munga wrote:I might be keeping it. Nobody seems to think it's worth the asking price..

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
That's the god's way of telling you to hold on to it.

munga

Postby munga » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:47 am

Celestial beings in outer space care about my bicycle? I feel so insignificant now..

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:51 am

munga wrote:Celestial beings in outer space care about my bicycle? I feel so insignificant now..

:lol:

The Fixer

Postby The Fixer » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:58 pm

Another one saved from the 'skip'. A Repco "Road 700". Yes, I know, it's nothing special.

Just refurbished from a complete but unrideable rusty wreck with blue overspray all over the front half of the
frame, rotten tyres, no seat, and seized cables, chain and derailleurs. The frame is perfect, as was the original
speckled purple/black paintwork once the blue overspray was removed.

Already sold, and its happy new owner picks it up next week.

I don't think it scrubbed up too badly, really.

I don't care if it's a $20 Huffy or a $20k Colnago, as long as you're riding, and you're happy.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:21 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:Righto Repcophilles. I picked up an 1984 Olympic 12 on ebay last week and am keen to use it as my new longer distance bike/commuter due to it's double water boss mounts and Tange champion 2 tubing. However browsing through the 84-85 catalog I see that the fork is suppose to be Hi-Ten and that the main frame tubes are double butted. Replaceing the fork with a Tange Cr-Mo one is no issue has I have few that will fill the job but my concern is that the rear stays are Hi-Ten. Does anyone know if this is the case or are they the standard straight gauge Champion cr-mo items. I don't want to come across as a tubing snob but the bike it would replace is one of my Ricardo Elite's which although is built from plain gauge champion tubing I know for a fact is all Cr-Mo. No point in downgrading on the stay's IMO. :lol:
Well after stripping the frame down it appears the fork is not what Repco says it is. The steerer is Tange stamped with a Tange crown and forged TF tips. The catalog says the fork is, "Hi-Tensile, CCL crown and TF ends." The fork weighs 830g which whilst no light weight is certainly not a boat anchor. The fork I was thinking if replacing it with has slightly less rake and comes in at 680g. It's built with a champion rifled steerer the same crown race, tange Cr-Mo blades and Suntour GT tips. The tips match those used on the Olympic's frame.

I think I'll build the frame up and try both forks and see how it handles.

Heff

Postby Heff » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:53 pm

the commuter

Trails_Niner SIR 9
Commute_Repco Superlite
Weekend_Lynskey_Rouleur
Selling_DeRosa
Waiting For_The Perfect_Koga Miyata

The Fixer

Postby The Fixer » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:21 pm

Heff wrote:the commuter
Very nice. Love the white/green/black combo, looks good.
I don't care if it's a $20 Huffy or a $20k Colnago, as long as you're riding, and you're happy.

koshari

Postby koshari » Tue May 06, 2014 8:41 pm

been about 20 years and my repco elite rx is about to get upgraded with brifters :-)

as much as i would like to keep it original iam over downtube shifters.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed May 07, 2014 6:09 am

koshari wrote:been about 20 years and my repco elite rx is about to get upgraded with brifters :-)

as much as i would like to keep it original iam over downtube shifters.
Why? I don't mind the DT shifters on my bikes that have them. I use them on my commuter and when I get on the bike with ergo's I initially try to change gears by moving my hand down :lol:

koshari

Postby koshari » Wed May 07, 2014 8:19 am

Pretty hilly area here and not great when you ride round a corner hit a steep hill and have to take a hand of the bars while grinding to drop gears. The other hand tends to pull the bars and put you into the kerb or oncoming traffic.

elantra

Postby elantra » Wed May 07, 2014 9:51 am

koshari wrote:Pretty hilly area here and not great when you ride round a corner hit a steep hill and have to take a hand of the bars while grinding to drop gears. The other hand tends to pull the bars and put you into the kerb or oncoming traffic.
Then you need 2 Repco's, one with brifters for those conditions and one with downtube shifters for the sake of it. :wink:

koshari

Postby koshari » Wed May 07, 2014 2:54 pm

good tip elantra except i have taken the "n+1" formula a little to literally lately, sorta need to reduce the bike count. and another repco wont go far to achieving that,
Plus i think if i got another bike my wife might have something to say about that, like "Ok now i want another bike!"

anyway arnt all the cool set riding "Fixies" on flat areas these days?

cray-

Postby cray- » Wed May 07, 2014 3:08 pm

koshari wrote:anyway arnt all the cool set riding "Fixies" on flat areas these days?
If by "these days" you mean 2005, then yes. :P

None of my bikes have brifters, never ridden with them so I guess I don't know what I'm missing. Gear changes take a bit of foresight but generally don't put me in harms way, the brinelling (indexed steering) on my Oly12 on the other hand..... Well I should really get that sorted out.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed May 07, 2014 5:39 pm

cray- wrote:...the brinelling (indexed steering) on my Oly12 on the other hand..... Well I should really get that sorted out.
New headset time time methinks

schuberj

Postby schuberj » Wed May 07, 2014 6:02 pm

cray- wrote:the brinelling (indexed steering) on my Oly12 on the other hand..... Well I should really get that sorted out.
One (read all) of my Eurosports have had this problem, even the bottom race was broken (seems to be the case with all old 105 headsets) however in lieu of having a spare headset or being able to get a new 105 one I just re-greased it and put it back on with the correct tightness (or in this case looseness). 566km later on Melbourne's rather ordinary roads and still no movement or ratcheting at all!

munga

Postby munga » Wed May 07, 2014 6:32 pm

"indexed steering". nice.

cray-

Postby cray- » Thu May 08, 2014 11:36 am

singlespeedscott wrote:New headset time time methinks
Might try Sheldon's suggestion of removing the race and filling with extra ball bearings first.
schuberj wrote:One (read all) of my Eurosports have had this problem, even the bottom race was broken (seems to be the case with all old 105 headsets) however in lieu of having a spare headset or being able to get a new 105 one I just re-greased it and put it back on with the correct tightness (or in this case looseness).
The lubricant breakdown theory sounds plausible. At first I thought the crash that bent my forks may have been to blame, except that was not the result of hitting a stationary object, but of a bag becoming caught between wheel and fork, sending me over the bars. So I'm not sure that the headset would've copped as much of a shunt. Dis-assembly may reveal more.

schuberj

Postby schuberj » Thu May 08, 2014 11:55 am

I am sure my "solution" would not work for everyone, but it is definitely a no cost option to start with. The main trick is to get the correct tightness on the headset.

munga

Postby munga » Tue May 13, 2014 10:23 pm

does anyone have a hi-res copy of the 88/89 catalogue? i have some 1024 x 671 jpegs, but that's it..

schuberj

Postby schuberj » Tue May 13, 2014 11:37 pm

Yep, I do. Sorry, I had to close my Flickr account and haven't got them back up again yet. I will email them to you.

Note: I only have the road bike section at this stage, let me know if you need more as I can scan them if I get off my ****.

munga

Postby munga » Tue May 13, 2014 11:38 pm

Cheers! Just the road for me please.

koshari

Postby koshari » Fri May 16, 2014 7:11 pm

cray- wrote:Might try Sheldon's suggestion of removing the race and filling with extra ball bearings first
actually thats a great idea, effectively changing the pitch of the bearing so only one at a time will be fully parked in a rut, Sheldon really was full of lots of sound workarounds, but i hadn't read that one before on his site.

I did use his alt cable route trick on the brifters though.

utedeej

Postby utedeej » Mon May 19, 2014 7:59 pm

So, i picked up a blue and yellow Repco Vertex TT frame a little while back. I'm slowly piecing the bits together for it, but unfortunately it's only got the 531 decal on the seat tube - no Repco or Vertex TT decals (guessing someone didn't want it known they rod a repco :D )

I don't suppose anyone has some appropriate decals i could use or hints on where i might get some.

Cheers

Stuey

Postby Stuey » Mon May 19, 2014 9:17 pm

Maybe Munga might take some photos of his (same bike) and you could get them made.

koshari

Postby koshari » Mon May 19, 2014 9:52 pm

anyone got any ideas on how i can stop the rear brake cable outer from rattling against the frame where it passes through the 3 lugs on the top of the top tube en route to the rear?
preferably something not to obtrusive to the eyes?

its black tubing and best i can think off is place a little black pvc tape around where it goes through the lugs, hoping it will be firm enough to not rattle anywhere along the tube against the frame.