Repco Appreciation Society

singlespeedscott

Re: Repco Appreciation Society

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:08 am

That's a sweet ride.

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:21 am

vanbree wrote:Thanks to mr hotfoots repco catalogues I now know the true identity of my mt bike.It's a 85 -86 repco sierra
Love that bike. Might have already said that somewhere.

An update on my Superlite, it's still going strong - The mudguards gave me the fits, I could never stop them from rubbing and I found they vibrated at speed and generally were flimsy and detracted from an otherwise nice riding experience. I Had a run of annoying flats, and when I built my 26" commuter I poached the cassette and chain from the Repco, and that was that.

As of next week, it is re-incarnated with 8 Speed Deore XT trigger shifters, the mud guards and tyres are gone, upgraded to Shimano 600 road cranks and a Deore LX 9 speed rear derailleur.
I will be giving it to my brother for his 18th Birthday in the hope that he will ride to uni next year.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:47 pm

LugNut wrote: As of next week, it is re-incarnated with 8 Speed Deore XT trigger shifters, the mud guards and tyres are gone, upgraded to Shimano 600 road cranks and a Deore LX 9 speed rear derailleur.
I will be giving it to my brother for his 18th Birthday in the hope that he will ride to uni next year.

Nice present.

Dan

Postby Dan » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:54 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:
LugNut wrote: As of next week, it is re-incarnated with 8 Speed Deore XT trigger shifters, the mud guards and tyres are gone, upgraded to Shimano 600 road cranks and a Deore LX 9 speed rear derailleur.

Nice present.
+1 and +1

Steve F

Postby Steve F » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:32 pm

I have a 10 speed Repco Traveller, I think it's an '86 model, some of the parts have been replace and it has no derailers on it so it needs a bit or work to become a rider. Rims are steel, frame is Hi-ten 1020 and paint is faded and scratched up. My plan was to strip it down (put the components aside) and chop the frame as I need a bottom bracket shell and head tube etc for my tadpole trike build. I thought I'd check here first and see if it was worth saving though or if anyone needed the frame? I'm doubting it's of any use to anyone or of any significance but had to check, I dont like chopping older stuff but then I dont want to save it just because it has a bit of age.

Cheers
Steve

munga

Postby munga » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:48 pm

i don't think anyone covets traveller's. :P
hack away!

Steve F

Postby Steve F » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:51 pm

Thought as much :)

Cheers
Steve

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:32 am

hack up as many as you can find :twisted:

Mr.Hotfoot

Postby Mr.Hotfoot » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:40 pm

vanbree wrote:Thanks to mr hotfoots repco catalogues I now know the true identity of my mt bike.It's a 85 -86 repco sierra
001 by adrianvanbreemen, on Flickr
003 by adrianvanbreemen, on Flickr
002 by adrianvanbreemen, on Flickr

This is why I'm posting them
living in Hotfoot heaven and suffers from H.O.D (Hotfoot Obsession Disorder)

retrorepco

Re: Victory Tri-A all black frame.

Postby retrorepco » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:10 am

mate, if the decals are in good nick, and you dig the style keep it original. you can always put the original parts in a box and update with ultegra 10speed or whatever. your frame is when vic tri a went from being a very good quality frameset, to something not much better than a basic superlite. personally i don't rate the later frames as much as the pre-87 frames.
Cheers Munga,
Yeh I am going to keep frame/decals/cables original. Only found 1 other black frame pink cables tri-a, which is/was owned by a guy recently on this forum too.
Will leave the suntor edge 4050 stuff on it for now, it still works fine. Replacing wires, cassette, chain and stem tape.
Looking at finding some nice period correct Araya 700c rims with good tyres and getting front/rear hub serviced.

From what I can see,what others have posted and the catalogues the Pecking order.... vertex/medalist?>euro tri-a>victory tri-a>olympic-12>superlite. What do you guys think? Friend has a superlite and an olympic 12. All nice bikes, ride nice for their age. Superlite did feel much heavier than my victory or the olympic-12.

cray-

Postby cray- » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:31 am

Sounds about right, Superlite in name only. "Lite" is a marketing weasel word to give the impression that something is "light" without actually making the claim. They're great for distracting hipsters with so we can keep the good stuff. Don't get me wrong, there are definitely a few well fettled examples of Superlites in this thread, there are many worse bikes but there is a fair gap between them and their higher spec'd brethren. Enjoy your right.

aidoatn

Postby aidoatn » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:49 am

Hi, first time posting. This site is awesome with some great bikes and good information allowing me to do some homework. Anyway i want to strip down my superlite and give it a respray (probably in the flouro tri-colour). Does anyone have a contact for sticker reproduction.

cray-

Postby cray- » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:05 pm

http://cyclomondo.net/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://stores.ebay.com.au/Cyclomondo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No Repco decals on the site, not sure how up to date it is. Many people have asked about them in this thread, maybe no one has bitten the bullet to get them done? At $50+ they'd be worth more than many of the bikes in need of them. From all accounts quality is top notch though.

aidoatn

Postby aidoatn » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:34 am

Oh ok, Thanks anyway. might try a local printer and see how i go.

gbyzh

Postby gbyzh » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:49 pm

Looking at replacing the chain off my old Traveller which has a 10 speed (2x5) gear set up. How do I know which chain I need? Can I can just pull one off the shelf, or do I need a specific one?

munga

Postby munga » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:56 pm

bike shop, big w or kmart.
5/6/7 speed chain.

munga

Postby munga » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:57 pm

prolly need to buy a chain breaker.
count the links on your existing chain.
make new chain same length.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:23 am

munga wrote:bike shop, big w or kmart.
5/6/7 speed chain.
Do K Mart stores in Bris still have chains? Maroochydore one doesn't anymore :( .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

william.olive

Postby william.olive » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:21 am

gbyzh wrote:Looking at replacing the chain off my old Traveller which has a 10 speed (2x5) gear set up. How do I know which chain I need? Can I can just pull one off the shelf, or do I need a specific one?
Shimano HG40 chain from LBS, Wiggle, chainreaction, cell bikes etc. I'd recommend a KMC chain joiner too as I find the Shimano joiner in their HG40 chains impossible to use, although others seem to think they're OK. The KMC joiners say not to re-use them, but I take my chains off to clean and re-use the joiners with no problem, can't really see why they say not to.
Last edited by william.olive on Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dan

Postby Dan » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:16 pm

william.olive wrote: The KMC joiners say not to re-use them, but I take my chains off to clean and re-use the joiners with no problem, can't really see why the say not to.
To get you to buy more chain joiners.

retrorepco

Postby retrorepco » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:43 pm

Someone stole my repco traveller...sucks to be them, There was no bearings at all in the hubs or BB. Guess they did me a favour. :D
Actually the frame was mint, was going to turn it into a fixie-maybe next time.

The Victory TRI-A is stripped, I rebuilt bottom bracket, headset,hubs.
In the mail are superbe/ superbe pro derailleurs, cranks,levers, still need superbe/superbe pro pedals, braze on downtube friction shifters and front+rear calipers. Also need a genuine suntour freewheel, this generic one I have looks cheap and nasty.
Pink brake cables are gone :) Edge 4050 groupset is gone.
Going for all black frame, (keep the original decals) black bar tape, black cables, with all components polished silver, it is after all only crmo 4130 frame and fork-but i enjoy it.

On a sidenote I found a Sanyo Dynapower for $5 :P http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Dynapower-bi ... true&rt=nc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyone know anything about these? I'm going to test it out and get it to work, but not sure If i'l mount it on the TRI-A. It was made in 1985 so it fits the retro scene.

Any feedback/suggestions/ideas are more than welcome.

Cheers

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:08 pm

A dynamo has no place on a racing bike.

You stole it for that price. Well done. 8)

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:58 pm

retrorepco wrote:
On a sidenote I found a Sanyo Dynapower for $5 :P http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Dynapower-bi ... true&rt=nc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've got one of those sets in the shed, got it off a National Matsushita. Unfortunately mine doesn't appear to be producing any juice but when I get a chance i'll have my sparky colleague take a squiz.

retrorepco

Postby retrorepco » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:23 pm

Sorry in advance for posting ebay sales thread stuff here, but here is a new? dynamo Idrcycles. for the price can't go wrong.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251350473052 ... 1423.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

haha could mount a mid 1920s carbide lamp :D for the pre retro look. :) I'm joking....but seriously Imagine an old early 1900s bike with a carbide lamp o the front, take a picture of the bike in front of an old prison like the Fremantle Prison. Would suit the part quite well i think.
Bike parts just delivered by the mail man, spending the afternoon cleaning mounting and testing suntour superbe bits :) Christmas has come early.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:59 pm

I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a carbide lamp someday, the descriptions I've read of them have me fascinated :) .

That dynamo is identical to the one I've got, I can't imagine it would be too difficult to get it going again, they aren't all the complicated after all. What I will be doing when I get round to it is getting a bottle dynamo and lights for my 1954 Healing, to replace the rusted out originals, new ones from china or india are online for a pittance but you would have to wonder how long they would work for, if at all.