Repco Appreciation Society

Vintage, yesteryear and retro biking

Re: Repco Appreciation Society

Postby rkelsen » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:16 am

Nice pickup Munga. Well done.

I have confidence in your ability to make it shine! :)
rkelsen

by BNA » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:07 am

BNA

Postby repco-superlight » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:07 am

Hello,

I was gifted a nice looking vintage road bike this weekend from a friend who had recently upgraded. I had never seen it before until he brought it over and I instantly loved the fine simple lines. With no manufacturer markings I decided to search around a bit. With "superlight" on the cross bar, 4130 sticker on the seat pole and a nice "R" transfer on the front I soon put two and two together and Google sent me here.

So I am now the proud owner of a Blue-White Repco Superlight for $0 and plan to tidy it up and make it my weekend cruiser. My daily workhorse is my Scott SUB45 hybrid which lugs my clothes and groceries around most days of the week. Which will leave the superlight with the bare essentials for a nice weekend ride.

I have been slowly reading back through the pages of this thread and love the inspiration. When I get home I will post up some pics.

I spotted in one of the of the threads on here, a Tri-A with older alloy (not black) Campagnolo Ventos which I think would work very well with the blue and white scheme on this bike. But it appears they might be a little hard to find now? Anybody can point me in the right direction? Othrewise are there some other rims that have the high flange style people could recommend?
repco-superlight

Postby jesse_wg » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:42 am

Given the huge amount of help you guys have provided in my road to Repco appreciation, I thought it might be time to give a little back. Although you may be disappointed by some of the changes I made to my collection.

A few years back I needed a commuter that wasn't going to get flogged straight away like the $1500 mountain bike I had - enter the Repco Traveller picked up for a bargain at $12.
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj22 ... e1c34d.jpg

After a few years and moving closer in I decided I didn't need any gears and the brakes needed replacing, or removing. I thought while I was at it I might repaint, but it looked so sexy with the naked steel, I got lazy and ran out of money and left it as it was.
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj22 ... be62f9.jpg

Unfortunately I wasn't very consistent in applying things to the frame to stop it from rusting and it eventually got to the point where it needed replacing. So I thought after some in depth research from this forum I'd move up a few notches and get myself a Victory Tri-A. Actually this photo was just taken after swapping out saddles from my most recent purchase but I did have the same saddle on from the previous photo.
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj22 ... fce59e.jpg

In the meantime my girlfriend though she'd like a vintage bike so I figured the Repco Cambridge was a steal and put some work into making her pretty.
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj22 ... 5c2c5f.jpg

Finally, after moving house again I figured that I'd need something a little more versatile that could take a rack and had some gears, so I recently purchased this beautifully presented Eurosport Tri-A. Yes, it is pink :) I got it from a lady who was the original owner and has both looked after it well and also not used it much. (Saddle swaps going on - I think I'll be putting the white one back on this bike).
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj22 ... 32602e.jpg

Just got the Eurosport yesterday so yet to find out how she goes. It's obviously a lot smaller than the Victory frame which was probably on the larger side for me anyway, but this might be on the smaller side. I've got short arms though, so it actually feels pretty good, although I might get a longer stem.
jesse_wg

Postby munga » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:57 am

jesse_wg wrote:Given the huge amount of help you guys have provided in my road to Repco appreciation, I thought it might be time to give a little back. Although you may be disappointed by some of the changes I made to my collection.

A few years back I needed a commuter that wasn't going to get flogged straight away like the $1500 mountain bike I had - enter the Repco Traveller picked up for a bargain at $12.

After a few years and moving closer in I decided I didn't need any gears and the brakes needed replacing, or removing. I thought while I was at it I might repaint, but it looked so sexy with the naked steel, I got lazy and ran out of money and left it as it was.

Unfortunately I wasn't very consistent in applying things to the frame to stop it from rusting and it eventually got to the point where it needed replacing. So I thought after some in depth research from this forum I'd move up a few notches and get myself a Victory Tri-A. Actually this photo was just taken after swapping out saddles from my most recent purchase but I did have the same saddle on from the previous photo.

In the meantime my girlfriend though she'd like a vintage bike so I figured the Repco Cambridge was a steal and put some work into making her pretty.

Finally, after moving house again I figured that I'd need something a little more versatile that could take a rack and had some gears, so I recently purchased this beautifully presented Eurosport Tri-A. Yes, it is pink :) I got it from a lady who was the original owner and has both looked after it well and also not used it much. (Saddle swaps going on - I think I'll be putting the white one back on this bike).

Just got the Eurosport yesterday so yet to find out how she goes. It's obviously a lot smaller than the Victory frame which was probably on the larger side for me anyway, but this might be on the smaller side. I've got short arms though, so it actually feels pretty good, although I might get a longer stem.
pitty43 wrote:Thanks all for your help. Better change my Gumtree add now.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/retroclassiccycling/
munga

Postby jesse_wg » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:04 pm

Woops, here's a larger photo of the Victory

Last edited by jesse_wg on Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jesse_wg

Postby munga » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:28 pm

you need to put [ img ] [ /img ] tags around the link. edit your post, highlight the link, hit the Img button above the edit box, and you will be able to show the pic.
quote my post above and see how i did it.

munga

Postby jesse_wg » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:39 pm

Ah thanks!
jesse_wg

Postby cray- » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:48 pm

Nice collection, the pink Tri-A mustn't have seen much sun light, most of the fluoro jobbies from that era are faded to heck. The Cambridge is also in much better shape than the average retro step through, very nice.
cray-

Postby jesse_wg » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:21 pm

Yeah they are both in great condition. The pink definitely hasn't seen too much sun unlike the Victory which is much more obvious. Pretty stoked with them, although I can't say I got them at "bargain" prices with the exception of the Traveller. But I've really enjoyed riding the Victory as a ss and looking forward to putting some time into the Eurosport and making a few upgrades. I think they are definitely good value bikes compared to other Tange infinity frames by other makers.
jesse_wg

Postby schuberj » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:13 pm

Okay, it was promised some time ago, but it is finally here. As I have recently got a new scanner I have rescanned the 1988 Repco catalogue in much better quility, or at least the Road bike part of it anyway.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76770760@N07/sets/72157629722995893/

Unfortunately although I tried to "replace" the older scans I had, the pictures still seemed to have disappeared from my earlier posts, which I don't seem to be able to edit anymore. But being that we are on the subject of Eurosports...

The "pink" bike in question is not fluoro which is probably why it hasn't faded, and is also not pink. The colour was officially Fuchsia Splatter which was a limited edition colour in early '89 for the '88 model bikes, along with Smokey Green and white for the Victory Tri-A. Fuchsia Splatter was actually my most hated colour as a kid, although I am sure that I am more than a bit biased, especially as it followed my most loved colour of all the Repcos, Smokey Fuchsia and White!

I truly believe that 1988 was the absolute pinnacle of Repco bicycles, with the later models moving to a mismatch of Suntour parts, cheap looking transfers and multiple fluoro colours that ironically seem to fit more with the 80s than the 90s they come from. Once again, this is according to my very subjective opinion however :-P
schuberj

Postby jesse_wg » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:07 pm

I can certainly see how the Fuchsia Splatter was not your favourite colour, I imagine it is probably the case for a number of people... Strangely I'm drawn to the garishness of it though. I might try and tone things down a little and switch over to black bar tape and brakes overtime.

Thanks for the catalogues. When I was looking at this frame I figured it was an 88 because of the serial number, but wasn't able to find any details in the previous catalogues posted. Makes sense now.
jesse_wg

Postby schuberj » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:13 pm

Funny that I don't mind the colour so much anymore. Actually, it was probably more the "splatter" that I didn't like rather than the colour itself, especially how it disappeared behind the decals like an afterthought. I reckon it would be a great colour for avoiding being stolen these days!

I do miss the colours of the old bikes. New ones on the whole are just so boring these days, except it seems on women's bikes!
schuberj

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:21 am

schuberj wrote:

What's going on with those pants !? :shock: :lol:
singlespeedscott

Postby jesse_wg » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:11 am

Don't forget the jacket... Looks mighty comfortable
jesse_wg

Postby wqlava1 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:59 am

For those with interest in Repcos, here's a little commercial note. I'm selling a couple of Repcos, and will offer them here for a day or 2 before going on eBay.

An excellent pink and metallic grey Olympic 12 for $240. 56cm. I got it almost never used in great condition when I worked in Perth a couple of years back. Tried to interest my daughter, and she used it to drag me around op shops for clothes one weekend when she visited, but that was it. Done up with pinkish bar tape and tyres, and new BB & brake cables and a few other, but apart from that just pulled apart and regreased. Original wheels in near unused condition with Wolber Gentleman rims. Photo or 2 somewhere on this forum, I'll be taking current pics before listing.

A pretty reasonable 1985 Repco Nishiki Tri-A for $160. Sized XL to fit me - the black one with all Shimano 600 gear, and this one has the original gold anodized Araya rims in good condition. Someone was looking for those wheels recently here, and they might make enough back by parting out the bike to get the wheels free. Currently minus the pedals (which were the ones needing unobtainable cleats and were bent and stuffed by an ignorant former owner anyway) and a freewheel and chain. I took the chain off when transporting it back and forth across the country (but still not getting around to restoring and riding it) and I'll find a freewheel. Photos likewise.

Both going sadly to finance another project. Still will have one Repco around the place (another Olympic 12 I used as the basis for a still-prized fixie that #3 son at Duntroon will come home to ride around Melburn Roobaix each year). PM if more info needed.
2014 goal 52000m
wqlava1

Postby rangersac » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:33 am

Wouldn't mind having a look at some pics of the Nishiki Tri-A if you can spare the effort.
De Rosa Macro | Trek 8000ZR | Claud Butler Sovereign
rangersac

Postby wqlava1 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:00 am

rangersac wrote:Wouldn't mind having a look at some pics of the Nishiki Tri-A if you can spare the effort.

Ok I'll chase up something tonight or tomorrow now there is a flicker of interest.

Here's my one available blurry photo from 3 years ago in the shed in Perth without wheels:
http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx7/ ... ishiki.jpg

The other thing the former owner stuffed up (and why I'm asking somewhat less than I paid) is spraying the yellow part of the head tube black like the rest, with a little overspray on the yellow brake cable outers and the 600 headset. I'm going to pull the headset off before taking better photos and get rid of the overspray. It just irritates me! I'd like to get the yellow exposed on the head tube too, but that's for the next person. By the way, I have the special spanners for 6200 headset nuts, and if you're in Melbourne you can get to use them. I still need them as I have more 6200 gear for another project that I still have good intentions for, including using another 6200 headset.

And whilst looking at my Photobucket, I saw this pic including the one remaining Repco (the grey frame in the middle). The photo's from 3 years ago, but my boys still come along each year for the happy day of Melb-Roobaix. Not many things you can do with your late tennage onwards kids that they still see as cool and fun to be as involved as possible.
http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx7/ ... /photo.jpg
2014 goal 52000m
wqlava1

Postby 3type3 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:52 am

wqlava1 wrote:An excellent pink and metallic grey Olympic 12 for $240. 56cm. I got it almost never used in great condition when I worked in Perth a couple of years back. Tried to interest my daughter, and she used it to drag me around op shops for clothes one weekend when she visited, but that was it. Done up with pinkish bar tape and tyres, and new BB & brake cables and a few other, but apart from that just pulled apart and regreased. Original wheels in near unused condition with Wolber Gentleman rims. Photo or 2 somewhere on this forum, I'll be taking current pics before listing.

Ah, that takes me back to many afternoons spent lusting after one of these in the local bike shop in the late 1980s. And a 56cm, too… I might just be able to help out.
3type3

Postby munga » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:10 pm

one of my favourite repco's, for the same reason as 3type3's above.

munga

Postby wqlava1 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:50 pm

3type3 wrote:
wqlava1 wrote:An excellent pink and metallic grey Olympic 12 for $240. 56cm. I got it almost never used in great condition when I worked in Perth a couple of years back. Tried to interest my daughter, and she used it to drag me around op shops for clothes one weekend when she visited, but that was it. Done up with pinkish bar tape and tyres, and new BB & brake cables and a few other, but apart from that just pulled apart and regreased. Original wheels in near unused condition with Wolber Gentleman rims. Photo or 2 somewhere on this forum, I'll be taking current pics before listing.

Ah, that takes me back to many afternoons spent lusting after one of these in the local bike shop in the late 1980s. And a 56cm, too… I might just be able to help out.

Well 3type3 has bagged what he termed the galah-coloured Olympic 12 - and from the sound of it the bike will be conserved very well. This transaction has lured a lurking Repco enthusiast into the fold. Hope to see more of his collection. Still trying to get to the Nishiki Tri-A for photos for rangersac down in Tas.
2014 goal 52000m
wqlava1

Postby 3type3 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:15 pm

Ah yes. I should probably introduce myself. Long-time Repco fan, just recently discovered the gold mine that is this forum. Not a unique (head)case from the sounds of thing here. A lot of my teenage years wasted in bike shops (mostly perving, occasionally gainfully employed) or staring at the catalogues that I'm amazed to have found here. First full-size bike was a Traveller – obligatory school transport in the 80s. Six months and two daily paper-round routes later a red 1987/88 Superlite, carelessly cast aside for a succession of more spanky but curiously less memorable bikes as the racing bug took old.
A few years back, bored with modern bikes, a fascination with the bikes that gave me the cycling bug led to me tracking a red 1987/88 Superlite down. That made me remember I'd really settled for the red when 12-year-old me had wanted the blue, so tracked one of those down. Since then the Repco count has grown consistently to disgusting proportions for one man (and for absolutely no reason whatsoever other than rolling around in nostalgia like the proverbial pig – I can stare at these things for hours). I have driven from Melbourne to Adelaide in one awful spell just for a well-preserved Repco (well, two). And now I've stumbled upon this site. Oh dear. One pink/grey 1987/88 Olympic 12 later…
Mmmm, looks like the next step is figuring out this photobucket whatsit.
3type3

Postby munga » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:23 pm

i also bought a blue and white superlite :)
always lusted after one as a kid, but never had the money to buy one back then..

munga

Postby 3type3 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:40 pm

I have a feeling that's not the only Repco sickness we have in common Munga.
3type3

Postby schuberj » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:33 pm

That would be a great segue into my (possibly several part) Repco story but that is still a work in progress.

In the meantime, here is a bike a bought some time ago to build a better ride to work bike.

It was bought to replace older 7-speed bikes I had been using to ride to work after I realised I was probably not going to be working somewhere soon where I had to leave the bike in the street. The idea was to have something classic with the ridability, and I guess to some extent safety, of something new. I was unfortunately hit by a car before it was built and was off any kind of bike for around 10 months. As some kind of indication of the durability of the older, cheaper and heavier bikes, the Olympic 16 I was riding survived this, the second of such hits it had received.

Anyway, after what was possibly years of the parts sitting in my spare room, my old school/new school work ride debuted this year.

As far as ridabilty goes, I think I enjoy riding it as much, if not more, than my CR1 Pro, and every time I am on it I am imagining passers by saying "Wow, look at that Repco!" :-P

Unfortunately, I have now moved offices and the number of bikes stolen from the new location is forcing me to rethink riding this bike to work. In meantime I try to park next to the flashiest carbon fiber bike I can find :)
schuberj

Postby munga » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:18 am

schuberj wrote:...That would be a great segue into my (possibly several part) Repco story but that is still a work in progress.

As far as ridabilty goes, I think I enjoy riding it as much, if not more, than my CR1 Pro, and every time I am on it I am imagining passers by saying "Wow, look at that Repco!" :-P

Unfortunately, I have now moved offices and the number of bikes stolen from the new location is forcing me to rethink riding this bike to work. In meantime I try to park next to the flashiest carbon fiber bike I can find :)

She's a ripper. Brave choice to go back to the (correct) pink outers too. I like it. Two D-locks should keep you out of trouble.

munga

PreviousNext

Return to Retro biking