help with an old Healing

ldrcycles

help with an old Healing

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:44 pm

I've managed to dig my dad's old Healing out of the shed and i'm going to get it back to the shape it would have been when he rode it to school in the 50s. It has the remains of 28x1-3/8 wheels, are they still available or should i use 27"? Also the serial number on the side of the top seat tube/chainstay lug is 3303, it also has 210 in raised numerals under the BB. Would that mean a 1933 build? The chainstays actually bolt together with the seatpost bolt, i promise to get pics up ASAP, my net connection is being a problem atm.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

spirito

Re: help with an old Healing

Postby spirito » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:40 pm

ldrcycles wrote: It has the remains of 28x1-3/8 wheels, are they still available or should i use 27"?
If the rims are still good sourcing tyres is easy ....

http://abbotsfordcycles.com.au/public/c ... ew/97/113/

http://www.moruyabicycles.com.au/conten ... -tyre.html

If the rims are dead/rusted then I'd suggest listing a WTB as they might be sitting in someone's shed. It's just a matter of looking/asking around :wink:
Cranky Jim wrote: God did not invent gears. Men invented gears ... because we are not gods.

Torana68

Postby Torana68 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:51 pm

Also the serial number on the side of the top seat tube/chainstay lug is 3303, it also has 210 in raised numerals under the BB. Would that mean a 1933 build?
nope, not that easy Im afraid.

The chainstays actually bolt together with the seatpost bolt,
sounds like a roadster :) good things them...

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:40 pm

All the (no longer) moving parts are deader than the titanic, down to the clamp on front centrepull brake. Any tips to narrow down the age?

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:38 pm

Finally managed to get the pics up, hopefully they will provide some clues as to the age. My dad mentioned that he swapped the original bars for the ones on it now, but can't remember what the originals looked like.

sturmey archer

Postby sturmey archer » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:09 pm

Wow coaster AND rim brakes! And aren't they those westwood type rolled edge rims ? I recall trying to use rim brakes on those back in 1970-something. Not a good result as I recall.
Ian
1.370" x 24 tpi - what sort of stupid standard is that?

Torana68

Postby Torana68 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:57 pm

[quote="ldrcycles"]Finally managed to get the pics up, hopefully they will provide some clues as to the age. My dad mentioned that he swapped the original bars for the ones on it now, but can't remember what the originals looked like.

early 50's at a guess but if they are williams cranks you have a date code or 3 waiing there for you
Ozpushies! for ALL Australian made bikes.
"It's only original once"

silverlight

Postby silverlight » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:29 pm

Healing from Blockchain

Blockchain

Postby Blockchain » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:12 pm

Gooday. Thank you for posting the picture Silverlight and covering for my incompidence.

This Healing is in original condition save a few wearables. It appears to have the same head badge and down tube writing as your roadster. I date my bike at 1936 so it may help with dating yours.

Cheers.

Johnj

Postby Johnj » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:18 pm

The decals and chrome H are identical to mine, which dates to about 1952. Early 1950s would be my suggestion.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:02 am

Nice bike johnj! Can't wait til tomorrow arvo to get the cranks off and look for a date code. Hopefully as i strip the bike i can find some more info.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:02 pm

Johnj wrote:The decals and chrome H are identical to mine, which dates to about 1952. Early 1950s would be my suggestion.

You are gonna have to stop posting pictures of that bike John, I start to drool every time I see it..... :)
Cheers
Richard

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:10 pm

just spoke to my dad and he confirmed he put the current bars on himself sometime in the late 50s. He said that it originally had upside down drop bars which he claimed was the correct position back then. Also confirmed this is the bike he was riding in 1962 when, whilst flying down a hill, a car pulled out in front of him and put him in a coma for 2 days. I can't see any damage whatsoever but then again i crashed a road bike at 95kph a few years ago and it only copped one tiny scratch.

Torana68

Postby Torana68 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:45 am

ldrcycles wrote:just spoke to my dad and he confirmed he put the current bars on himself sometime in the late 50s. He said that it originally had upside down drop bars which he claimed was the correct position back then. .
yep "universal' bars.... up for the weekly commute, down for the weekend race/tour

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:56 am

Oxford wrote:so why don't everyday commuters do that now? :?: :wink: :mrgreen:
Because we're a materialistic society concerned more about appearances than practicality, comfort or personal wellbeing?

Because flipping carbon bars may shorten their lifespan if you happen to overtighten the bolts one time?

Because you have to be aero in the commuter cup?

Because getting to work 5 seconds before the next person is important so that you get the shower first, and use all the hot water?

Personally, I'd love to see an old man of ethnic descent riding a brand new Colnago with the bars flipped up, wearing a kangol cap and a cardigan, with a pack rack and a milk crate on the back. :D :D :D
Last edited by rkelsen on Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Torana68

Postby Torana68 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:19 am

rkelsen wrote:
Oxford wrote:so why don't everyday commuters do that now? :?: :wink: :mrgreen:
Because we're a materialistic society concerned more about appearances than practicality, comfort or personal wellbeing?

yep blame the lycra warrior's, if its not the latest fad, newest tech innovation or "latest" colour, its not on , bars up, even if its more comfortable wont be hapenning (till it becomes a fad). being a non fashion junkie i have bikes with the bars up :D
it would be an issue with some bikes with the GPS wifi speedo/computer, cadence and coffee maker , 40 speed air assisted sti shifters and hydrulic megga disc brakes.... :roll:

Johnj

Postby Johnj » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:18 pm

Torana68 wrote:yep "universal' bars.... up for the weekly commute, down for the weekend race/tour
Like this. (photo courtesy Marty)

Torana68

Postby Torana68 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:24 pm

Johnj wrote:
Torana68 wrote:yep "universal' bars.... up for the weekly commute, down for the weekend race/tour
Like this. (photo courtesy Marty)

bike yes attire no :lol:

Johnj

Postby Johnj » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:42 pm

Torana68 wrote:bike yes attire no :lol:
You absolutely sure of that Roger?

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:49 pm

FINALLY got round to removing the cranks, they are Williams, but i haven't been able to find a date code yet, where should i look? They still need a lot of cleaning up so it might be there once i remove 40 odd years of dirt and rust.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:51 pm

oh and the BB is marked BRAMPTON, MADE IN ENGLAND, does anyone know of this brand and if it was good quality gear?

Torana68

Postby Torana68 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:52 am

ldrcycles wrote:oh and the BB is marked BRAMPTON, MADE IN ENGLAND, does anyone know of this brand and if it was good quality gear?
nah, its english, probably leaks oil everywhere... google "dating williams cranks" for location and codes

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:07 pm

Torana68 wrote:
ldrcycles wrote:oh and the BB is marked BRAMPTON, MADE IN ENGLAND, does anyone know of this brand and if it was good quality gear?
nah, its english, probably leaks oil everywhere... google "dating williams cranks" for location and codes
LMAO, can you imagine if lucas made bicycle components?! (did they ever make bike lights?...) Anyway, after cleaning off the cranks i found the teeensy tiny Williams logo and date code underneath it, looks like the Healings a 1955 vintage (which fits with when my dad thinks he got it). BTW the BB shell actually has a little oil port with cap, maybe it did leak! And just if anyone else needs it this is the site for Williams date codes http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/wi ... ating.html

Torana68

Postby Torana68 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:19 pm

nothing wrong with lucas, the inventor of the short circuit, self dimming headlights, intermittant wipers etc.....

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:57 pm

Heh, if Lucas made guns, wars wouldn't start either...