Malvern Star Gear Upgrade?

maccayak

Malvern Star Gear Upgrade?

Postby maccayak » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:45 pm

I have a nice original Malvern Star 12 Speed racer, normal old skool 27" wheels. It has Shimano front and rear Altus derailleur's and Tourney brakes. I would like to fit indexed gearing and upgrade the brakes. I want to keep the bike looking fairly original, It wont be getting a repaint otherwise I will get "why didn't you just get a new bike" off the wife. It also has stem shifters. I do have a MTB with Shimano up / down gear changing with the brakes (clicking style??) and I do like that. Is there something similar I can fit on the old drop bars. I would not like to spend more than $150(open to suggestions) if possible. Would I have to increase it to 14 or 16 speed? I am also a newbie to this site and I have not played with bikes since the early eighties. I can't believe how much things have changed.

Cheers,
Geoff

maccayak

Re: Malvern Star Gear Upgrade?

Postby maccayak » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:23 pm

I think I will fit new tyres and just ride it. Looks too complicated to upgrade to indexed gears and probably not worth it.

Geoff

Paddles

Postby Paddles » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:17 pm

i too have not played around with road bikes since the late eighties and have just started to do a couple up. what you are proposing is doable, but like you say, you'll probably mess around a fair bit not only trying to find the right gear but also setting it all up. upgrading your brakes isn't such a bad idea.

maccayak

Postby maccayak » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:41 pm

Paddles, Any idea on what brakes to fit. I have bought some brake new pads and tyres today, so I will see if that makes a difference. The guy in the shop looked at me like I had two heads when I asked for 27" tyres. Then when I asked if not many people requested them any more, he replied," yeh all the time, they are just getting harder to get". I could have got them on line, but I thought I would support the LBS.

Cheers Geoff