Hard rubbish find - Quayle

maccayak

Hard rubbish find - Quayle

Postby maccayak » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:27 pm

Driving along tonight while working and saw a group of bike in the distance bunched together with old upturned handle bars. Did a U turn, 5 bikes thrown out. One that took my interest was old, i think really old to be honest.

It is a Quayle brand from Ballarat Vic. Anyone heard of them. Old painted frame and wheels with an old Bell seat. No gears just back pedal type brakes. I only have a Holden Station Wagon already loaded so I had to pull the bike apart to fit it in. Not one seized screw or bolt. Still had those really old tubes. Left behind a Repco Traveller and a Record.!!

Did a Google, There is still a bike shop in Ballarat called Quayles.Image

Cheers Geoff
Last edited by maccayak on Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

uncle arthur

Re: Hard rubbish find - Quayle

Postby uncle arthur » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:25 pm

Pics or it didn't happen
What is it with cycling? 30+ kmh and lycra???!!!

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:16 am

Indeed, let us see pictures of it!
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

maccayak

Postby maccayak » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:05 am

Do I need to have 10 posts to add photos? I just had a look and this is one of those site where you have to muck around with photobucket. I just have not got time this morning and i wont be home until after 10. The kayaking site I am on just has an upload button below where you write you post and photos are added. simple. Anyway I will try and do it tonight.

It also has 28inch wheels (Dunlop tyres made in Australia) Serial No looks like it is B12950 so I am guessing 1950 bike. Would that seem right with 28" wheels. My Dad always told me that 28" wheels were old and hard to get tyres for. Rear wheel has a brand of "New Lad???" Cant see all the letters.

Geoff

Torana68

Postby Torana68 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:31 am

[quote="maccayak"]Do I need to have 10 posts to add photos?

ten you have :)

It also has 28inch wheels (Dunlop tyres made in Australia) Serial No looks like it is B12950 so I am guessing 1950 bike. Would that seem right with 28" wheels.

never that easy to date bikes here unfortunately, without seeing it could be anywhere from 1900 to 1970

My Dad always told me that 28" wheels were old and hard to get tyres for.

old yes , hard to get sometrimes and depends on how helpfull your LBS is
Ozpushies! for ALL Australian made bikes.
"It's only original once"

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:02 am

You can still get tyres for 28". Pictures needed, as 28" wheels were still used by some bicycle companies into the late 1960's or early 1970's.

bicyclepassion

Postby bicyclepassion » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:17 pm

'New Lad' on brake arm will be New Eadie. I think these came out in the mid 1930's, but not sure. I think they were made by BSA. Many of the post war coaster brake hubs were patterned off the New Eadie. Lucinix, Velo, Velomos to name 3 popular ones used here in Australia. The parts for these are interchangeable, and readilly available. Warren

maccayak

Postby maccayak » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:15 pm

Photos now up,

Let me know your thoughts,

Cheers Geoff

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:40 pm

maccayak wrote:Driving along tonight while working and saw a group of bike in the distance bunched together with old upturned handle bars. Did a U turn, 5 bikes thrown out. One that took my interest was old, i think really old to be honest.

It is a Quayle brand from Ballarat Vic. Anyone heard of them. Old painted frame and wheels with an old Bell seat. No gears just back pedal type brakes. I only have a Holden Station Wagon already loaded so I had to pull the bike apart to fit it in. Not one seized screw or bolt. Still had those really old tubes. Left behind a Repco Traveller and a Record.!!

Did a Google, There is still a bike shop in Ballarat called Quayles.

Cheers Geoff
Looks like you got yourself a nice old-fashioned Australian Roadster Bicycle!

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:40 am

If there's as bike shop in Ballaarat called Quayles, methinks that should be your first port of call. Worth saving as a historical item I'd say.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Torana68

Postby Torana68 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:53 am

Mulger bill wrote:If there's as bike shop in Ballaarat called Quayles, methinks that should be your first port of call. Worth saving as a historical item I'd say.
a good example of why you shouldnt paint old frames, there is NOTHING on there to distinguish that bike from any other, with some carefull cleaning that will surprise you (search the forum for hints) and it may be the only survivor of the "Quaÿle" roadster, early 60's.... definately go to the shop , you never know the guy who owned the shop then may still be about somewhere...

maccayak

Postby maccayak » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:54 pm

I tried the google phone number, no luck. I phoned the closest bike shop in Ballarat, I got told they hadn't been around for over 20 years.

I will have to do a bit of research regarding fixing the bike, but no hurry. I would like to see a photo of one in good condition or even a similar period bike.

No 1, It needs to be respoked. Is this possible for such an old wheel and who in Melbourne could do it?

No 2, Bell seat is stuffed, do I just get a brooks seat to replace it?

I would like to get it going and use it as my beach cruiser.

Geoff

Torana68

Postby Torana68 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:17 pm

I would like to see a photo of one in good condition or even a similar period bike.

well they look just like that but shiney

No 1, It needs to be respoked. Is this possible for such an old wheel and who in Melbourne could do it?

do it yourself....:) LBS will try and sell you new wheels (respoking isnt cheap to do unless you do it yourself (AT) approx $40 per wheel) but try Abbotsford cycles at Richmond train station, they are old friendly

No 2, Bell seat is stuffed, do I just get a brooks seat to replace it?

bell turn up on ebay now and then

maccayak

Postby maccayak » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:18 pm

Torana68 wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:If there's as bike shop in Ballaarat called Quayles, methinks that should be your first port of call. Worth saving as a historical item I'd say.
a good example of why you shouldnt paint old frames, there is NOTHING on there to distinguish that bike from any other, with some carefull cleaning that will surprise you (search the forum for hints) and it may be the only survivor of the "Quaÿle" roadster, early 60's.... definately go to the shop , you never know the guy who owned the shop then may still be about somewhere...

Could someone please post a link regarding cleaning old frames and wheels. I have had a search but most links seem to be for newer bikes.

Geoff

maccayak

Postby maccayak » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:18 pm

Ok, the problem I have is that I would like to do the bike up, It cant be used the way it is. It's probably a run of the mill old bike. Should I just re paint it and re-rim it or should I fully restore it. The spokes are badly rusted and some are broken so it would be unsafe to ride. I thought about copying the paint and branding theme but putting new wheels on it. I would love to know how old it is. Roughly when did they stop using painted rims? I dont know how to clean it in a manner to preserve the patina.

Do these old bikes look stupid with modern wheels.

I have never restored a bike, but have recently bought an older National Panasonic frame to practice on, so the old Quayle wont be done in a hurry, but i would like it done before next summer. I even thought about putting a nexus 3 speed hub/wheel on it but giving it a retro look with original pin striping, Brooks seat and pack racks etc.

Geoff

mark field

Postby mark field » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:42 am

hi, nice find,
i recon it would be a good idea to hang it up in the garage for a while- my own personal experience with good finds was the urgency of wanting to make it better the second it hit the garage floor, id pull apart a bike and have it in bits for months then not even bother with it. let the excitement of the find die down a bit, may be take some more pics and get the forum working for you- people will always know something that will help with your resto- be it a contact, an image of a better bike, first hand knowledge from one who owned one from new, patience will point this bike in the right direction. you have saved it from the tip, it will be fine hanging up in the garage. anyway forget that bike- id go cruising around in that classic holden you've got. i had the wagon version once and i miss it very much :cry: , changed to a 64 Valiant safari wagon. :)
steel is the real deal.

maccayak

Postby maccayak » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:59 pm

Thanks Mark, I will take your advice, no real hurry. I wont pull it apart yet. I like the idea about hanging it up. It needs a couple of parts anyway. I noticed the head stem has been brazed up, handle bars look like they have been squashed in a vice.

Has anyone ever repainted two tone wheels also with pin stripes. The bike would look great restored back with all its pin striping and sign written name. I like patina, but I think this one has too much surface rust.

By the way, Holden EK is a 40,000 mile original. Plastic on the seats etc.

Cheers Geoff

Quayle

Postby Quayle » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:49 pm

That was one of my grandfathers bikes he owned the shop in Ballarat.

If you need any info let me know?

They built and painted bikes at the Doveton st shop I have pics of the shop.

kruzzin ink

Postby kruzzin ink » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:26 pm

hi i just bought a quayle bicycle off ebay and would like to know anything you can tell me about them and would love to see the photos you have from the shop thanks

maccayak

Postby maccayak » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:40 pm

PM's sent to Kruzzin Ink and Quayle.

Thanks Geoff

Katrina Lee

Postby Katrina Lee » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:21 pm

I know this is an old post. I just got a quayle bike from the local Ballarat sunday market.
Im keen to put a old school generator light on it.
My brother says it also needs 22" 1.75 or 1 3/8 rims and wheels. Id like these to be vintage or new in vintage style.
Wheres the best place to get Quayle or vintage gear people have found?

Hardware

Postby Hardware » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:24 pm

Hey great. I have just found my mother's 1950's Ladies Quayle bike.
Would love to get it cleaned up and restored.
Are there any online pics of them or do you have any other info of your Grandfather's bike business?

Quayle wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:49 pm
That was one of my grandfathers bikes he owned the shop in Ballarat.

If you need any info let me know?

They built and painted bikes at the Doveton st shop I have pics of the shop.