Apollophiles - The Apollo Appreciation Thread

Kermit TF

Re: Apollophiles - The Apollo Appreciation Thread

Postby Kermit TF » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:49 pm

jgs wrote:Greetings Apollophiles

Would anyone else like to venture any guesses about this bike? All I know is it's one of the most comfortable bikes I've ever ridden ..

Jon
It's a III....I have a couple in the same colour and same spec. Roughly 1985-86.
When in doubt......mumble.

Kermit TF

Postby Kermit TF » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:04 pm

Munga, tried to send you a PM, but you have your messages / receipt locked..

munga

Postby munga » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:16 pm

copy that. rectified. fire at will, soldier!

Daus

Postby Daus » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:31 pm

My 1993 Apollo Eclipse- I recently updated the shifters with 7 speed Shimano Tourney's and a 7 speed cassette on Wolber rims and hubs I have had for a while. The rear brake cable is hidden in the top tube- I look at the posts on this thread often and have not seen any others the same. It is a big frame and fits me perfectly for commuting duties- it has no rear hanger on the frame just an axle mounted hanger so I figured it is not an upmarket frame. The frame is in original condition its previous owner had it since new and even gave me the owners manual when I bought it a couple of years ago- Don

The Fixer

Postby The Fixer » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:53 pm

My, my, my, Daus, that is nice!!

Here's my III in the process of shedding its MTB bars and controls (WHY?????) and having them replaced with something more fitting.

I've gone for friction-shifters rather than indexed. Bars are Nitto, Shimano shifters, Weinemann levers.

Shame about the tatty paint (will fix), but she's a nice frame to ride.

Second pic shows the III's brazed-on cable guides.

Third pic is the III with the '87 Clipper and the '88 Delta (Delie).

I don't care if it's a $20 Huffy or a $20k Colnago, as long as you're riding, and you're happy.

The Fixer

Postby The Fixer » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:15 pm

I was just conversing with a few fellow retro-fans on Farce-book, and this came up in our discussion.

Pretty sure I haven't posted this one before, so here goes.... here's my 1983 Apollo II.

Planning to return this one to original specs... nice to ride. But those bars/controls...Sheesh! WHY???

Footnote: unlike all my other Apollos, this one's been in regular use since new. It shows.

Apart from a tendency to throw chains (yes, I know, but I haven't gotten around to it yet), it really
does ride like new.

I don't care if it's a $20 Huffy or a $20k Colnago, as long as you're riding, and you're happy.

munga

Postby munga » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:25 pm

i actually want to build a bike with risers and a squishy seat, just for cruising around the lake with the family. 5 speed, basket on the front..
thumbies are silly expensive tho, so i'll have to do some more research (i probably don't need xt spec shifters :))

dillyboy

Postby dillyboy » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:37 pm

Daus wrote:My 1993 Apollo Eclipse- I recently updated the shifters with 7 speed Shimano Tourney's and a 7 speed cassette on Wolber rims and hubs I have had for a while. The rear brake cable is hidden in the top tube- I look at the posts on this thread often and have not seen any others the same. It is a big frame and fits me perfectly for commuting duties- it has no rear hanger on the frame just an axle mounted hanger so I figured it is not an upmarket frame. The frame is in original condition its previous owner had it since new and even gave me the owners manual when I bought it a couple of years ago- Don
look back a few pages - you pretty much have my bike ;)

mine's a 12 speed with down tube shifters though - and its of unknown age but I don't think its as new as '93
Don't ask to ride my bike & I won't ask to shag your missus....

The Fixer

Postby The Fixer » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:29 pm

dillyboy wrote:
Daus wrote:My 1993 Apollo Eclipse- I recently updated the shifters with 7 speed Shimano Tourney's and a 7 speed cassette on Wolber rims and hubs I have had for a while. The rear brake cable is hidden in the top tube- I look at the posts on this thread often and have not seen any others the same. It is a big frame and fits me perfectly for commuting duties- it has no rear hanger on the frame just an axle mounted hanger so I figured it is not an upmarket frame. The frame is in original condition its previous owner had it since new and even gave me the owners manual when I bought it a couple of years ago- Don
look back a few pages - you pretty much have my bike ;)

mine's a 12 speed with down tube shifters though - and its of unknown age but I don't think its as new as '93

Were you the bloke with the fluoro-green 'Eclipse'? That one was nice!

dillyboy

Postby dillyboy » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:37 pm

That's me - I'm colour blind though so I think it's bright yellow :p
Don't ask to ride my bike & I won't ask to shag your missus....

Daus

Postby Daus » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:53 pm

I checked out Dillyboy's bike a few pages back and it is very similar to mine except in lime green- mine originally had a 6 speed with downtube shifters- the rear were indexed but could be run as friction, I converted to a 7 speed as I had the bits in my workshop and wanted the extra gear. Its a really bright yellow (would not lose it on the road) with the pink coloured Eclipse- Tri sticker on each side of the top tube. It still has the Chrom-moly sticker on the seat tube. The Apollo is used for commuting and casual riding the bars are level with the seat which is an ISM Adamo Breakaway saddle- I can ride for hours on this bike- Don

jools

Postby jools » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:35 pm

Hey guys, can I ask your opinion on something?

I've got an early 80's Apollo IV that I commute on every day. It's pretty much the original running gear - shimano 600 arabesque group set, ukai 27x1 wheel set. It's brilliant to ride, but I'm concerned that I'm inflicting cruel and unusual punishment upon it by commuting every day. I'm a fairly big guy - over 110kgs - and I ride with a backpack full of clothes, shower gear, food etc, so the bike is well loaded down. I had the BB serviced last year as it was making creaking noises and it's starting to creak again under load. Rather than servicing it again I'll probably replace it with a sealed unit, but the bike also needs a new freewheel and possibly chainrings. I haven't snapped a spoke, which is quite surprising.

The frame, forks and headset etc seem solid enough still over bumps and the bits that need replacing are mostly wear and tear items that get replaced anyway, but I'm concerned that I'm loading it up and using more than it's really designed for.

Am I asking for trouble using it this way? or is lugging around fat albert and his sandwiches all in a day's work for the mighty apollo?

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:29 pm

Keep riding it mate. Their pretty tough. I would replace the bottom bracket with a new sealed one. New rings and a freewheel are easily sourced of eBay and wouldn't cost you more then 80 or so bucks.

Paddles

Postby Paddles » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:53 pm

Hey Scott, won't that freewheel be a bit tough to replace if it's one of the first lot of uniglide freewheels? That being said, if you ride the bike and really like it, treating it to a new set of nos (or good second hand) hubs and spokes is a very worthwhile option, change it to either hyperglide or one of the later models of uniglide that will accept a hyperglide cassette/freewheel. Sheldon Brown has a bit of info on freewheels on his pages.

jools

Postby jools » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:24 pm

Yes, I have the very early UG freewheel, which makes replacement a more complicated affair.

Thanks for the reassurance about riding it, I'll do the BB upgrade soon and see how it goes after that.

singlespeedscott

Apollophiles - The Apollo Appreciation Thread

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:10 am

Are you saying that you bike has an early Shimano freehub cassette body? This is unusual. All the Apollo IV's I've come across use freewheels.

If it is a freehub and not a freewheel. You can still make yourself a new one by butchering a new 7 speed cassette. Remove the spacers from the 7 speed body and use five of the new cogs with the spacers from the old cassette as well as the old 13t lock ring.

If it's a freewheel simply take it down to the LBS and get them to pull it off and spin on the new one. The shifting of the new freewheels is a lot better IMO.

jools

Postby jools » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:30 am

I get a bit confused by all the terminology... I believe what I have is a Uniglide cassette, where the smallest sprocket acts as a lock ring. They are a bit hard to find but the Loose Screws website has a few listed, although not with the 13-24 range I have currently. 21 is the biggest they have listed and I need the bigger sprocket for a couple of places on my commute.

So when you say 'new 7 speed cassette' - are you talking about a current HG cassette? Wouldn't I also need to replace the 13t sprocket?

This is what mine looks like:

Dow Jones Index

Postby Dow Jones Index » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:09 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:Are you saying that you bike has an early Shimano freehub cassette body? This is unusual. All the Apollo IV's I've come across use freewheels.

My Apolo IV also came with a very early uniglide cassette body. I had it for about 2 years before I realised, kinda threw a spanner in the works so to speak.

jools

Postby jools » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:09 pm

Dow Jones Index wrote:
My Apolo IV also came with a very early uniglide cassette body. I had it for about 2 years before I realised, kinda threw a spanner in the works so to speak.
Are you still running the same cassette or have you upgraded?

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:34 pm

Jools your cassette looks in pretty good nick to me. I don't think its ready to be replaced, just pull it off and give it a good clean.

7 speed cassette sprockets are the same width as a 6 speed sprockets. The only difference is the width of the spacers separating the cogs. To make a new six speed cassette you use cogs off a new seven speed cassette with the spacers from your old cassette and the old lockring/cog off the old cassette. This off course depends on how worn the lockring is. But unless your racing crits it's very unlikely that it is as worn as the sprockets in the middle of the cassette.

DarrylH

Postby DarrylH » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:26 pm

It also shows that I may have assembled that bike. The Cycle Inn was sold and renamed TLC Cycles and later moved about 50m around the corner where it still exists. When I worked there we were about the only bike shop on the south side of Canberra - now there are four within 200m - and I live only 2km away.

jools

Postby jools » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:47 pm

My cassette concerns started a little while ago - the chain is in need of replacement according to my trusty chain testing tool. I bought a HG40 chain but can't use it because it keeps skipping off the sprockets as I'm pedalling. I've reverted back to the old chain as it doesn't skip, so I figure the cassette needs an update. I'm pretty sure I couldn't ride it in top gear with the new chain which suggests the 13t is also worn. Apparently you can reverse the sprockets and re-use them, so that may be an option, apart from the smallest one.

The Fixer

Postby The Fixer » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:16 pm

DarrylH wrote:
It also shows that I may have assembled that bike. The Cycle Inn was sold and renamed TLC Cycles and later moved about 50m around the corner where it still exists. When I worked there we were about the only bike shop on the south side of Canberra - now there are four within 200m - and I live only 2km away.
Small world, eh? Thanks for that bit of info.

If you did assemble it, you did a good job, as it still appears to be largely original, and rides quite nicely. :) :)
Last edited by The Fixer on Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Fixer

Postby The Fixer » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:21 pm

Oops, double...
Last edited by The Fixer on Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kermit TF

Postby Kermit TF » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:14 pm

Jools, are you talking about the red IV I almost bought off you...nice bike.
Ive learnt something about the early cassettes... :D