Apollophiles - The Apollo Appreciation Thread

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Apollophiles - The Apollo Appreciation Thread

Postby im_no_pro » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:42 pm

Nice pickups. Shame the IV is in the worst condition. Oh, and they are all backwards in the pics ;)

Have started rebuilding mine, decided to give it it's own thread to avoid clogging this one up.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

Apollo3

Postby Apollo3 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:20 pm

im_no_pro wrote:Nice pickups. Shame the IV is in the worst condition. Oh, and they are all backwards in the pics ;).
oops fixed!

TedDancin

Postby TedDancin » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:00 pm

Nice work, should make you one very nice Apollo when you decide which one to work with.

Don't be afraid of centrepull brakes, I've been running those same ones on my commuter all year with aero levers, and they work really well, much better than any single pivot sidepull I've ever used.

Apollo3

Postby Apollo3 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:54 pm

TedDancin wrote:Nice work, should make you one very nice Apollo when you decide which one to work with.
I hope!
Don't be afraid of centrepull brakes, I've been running those same ones on my commuter all year with aero levers, and they work really well, much better than any single pivot sidepull I've ever used.
Only concern is that the cables for the centrepulls are old, I don't want them breaking going full tilt down a hill! With the side pulls at least I can replace the cable, I've not seen replacement cable sets for centrepulls.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:17 pm

Just look up dia compe brakes on eBay and you'll find some cables. I love old centre pulls. Easily better brakes than any older single pivot side pull.

Apollo3

Postby Apollo3 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:38 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:Just look up dia compe brakes on eBay and you'll find some cables. I love old centre pulls. Easily better brakes than any older single pivot side pull.
Did a quick search and found whole centre pull calipers, I'll look further tonight. One would assume centre pull would be a more efficient brake.

grantw

Postby grantw » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:44 pm

Yes the Altus centrepulls that came stock on the IIIs worked pretty well. That yellow one looks quite mint too. Very nice.

Kermit TF

Postby Kermit TF » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:13 pm

Nice finds...
Sell me the black one...its actually my size :lol:
Been looking for a large frame IV but to no avail......pleeeeeease !!
I have heaps of apollo 80s parts if you get stuck.
When in doubt......mumble.

Apollo3

Postby Apollo3 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:12 pm

Kermit TF wrote:Nice finds...
Sell me the black one...its actually my size :lol:
Been looking for a large frame IV but to no avail......pleeeeeease !!
I have heaps of apollo 80s parts if you get stuck.
I'll be in touch :-)

FuzzyDropbear

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:02 am

Apollo3 wrote:...I don't want them breaking going full tilt down a hill! With the side pulls at least I can replace the cable, I've not seen replacement cable sets for centrepulls.
Bah, just use the old, foot on the back tyre brake. lol. I had to do it to my Apollo all the way home the other week in the wet cause the brakes didn't work very well on the steel rims.... But then again, it was the final straw for my hiking shoes :( hahaa.

That yellow III looks like it's in great nick though!

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:27 pm

Here's the cables.
Buy a few, because unfortunately Loose Screws is about to close.
http://www.loosescrews.com/index.cgi?d= ... 5668323070" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And, ta da! Dia Compe centre pull stickers!
http://www.loosescrews.com/index.cgi?d= ... 5668323070" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Apollo3

Postby Apollo3 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:01 pm

LugNut wrote:Here's the cables.
Buy a few, because unfortunately Loose Screws is about to close.

And, ta da! Dia Compe centre pull stickers!
Thanks for the link!

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:29 am

FuzzyDropbear wrote:
Bah, just use the old, foot on the back tyre brake. lol. I had to do it to my Apollo all the way home the other week in the wet cause the brakes didn't work very well on the steel rims.... But then again, it was the final straw for my hiking shoes :( hahaa.
or you could try these pair of shoes

FuzzyDropbear

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:55 am

Yep, that would have been the preferred way to go. When I got home, first thing I did was to go and order new pads for it and realign the calipers (this was also the first ride since I bought it, brakes were fine in the dry, just didn't like the wet). Now with new pads, they work pretty good, I think the front caliper is due to be replaced so that's the next thing on the list.
Cheers.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:19 pm

these brake shoes have a leather strip, designed for better stopping in the wet when using steel rims. Click on the image for details.
They also are much quieter than regular rubber blocks.

Kermit TF

Postby Kermit TF » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:33 pm

FuzzyDropbear wrote:Yep, that would have been the preferred way to go. When I got home, first thing I did was to go and order new pads for it and realign the calipers (this was also the first ride since I bought it, brakes were fine in the dry, just didn't like the wet). Now with new pads, they work pretty good, I think the front caliper is due to be replaced so that's the next thing on the list.
Cheers.
Or you can install some S1+2 calipers and 1" MC or Arizona ZC conversion...

FuzzyDropbear

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:31 am

Kermit TF wrote:
FuzzyDropbear wrote:Yep, that would have been the preferred way to go. When I got home, first thing I did was to go and order new pads for it and realign the calipers (this was also the first ride since I bought it, brakes were fine in the dry, just didn't like the wet). Now with new pads, they work pretty good, I think the front caliper is due to be replaced so that's the next thing on the list.
Cheers.
Or you can install some S1+2 calipers and 1" MC or Arizona ZC conversion...
Geez, she'd stop on a dime with the Arizona conversion 8) Might have to upgrade the wheels to take the extra forces though, lucky she's a steel frame, break out the MIG :wink:
Clydesdale Scot wrote:these brake shoes have a leather strip, designed for better stopping in the wet when using steel rims. Click on the image for details.
They also are much quieter than regular rubber blocks.
I'd had a look at those pads when I was getting some new ones, but didn't know if they actually worked as described. The Apollo mostly gets ridden in the dry so the new pads are good. How does the leather part go in dry weather? It doesn't wear excessively does it?

Cheers mate.

FuzzyDropbear

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:03 pm

Thought this thread could use a couple of ride pics. :)

Took the Apollo out for the first 'proper' road ride that I've done and have to say it's a ripper of a bike, very impressed. Even though it's a heavy, low end machine, she still made the climbs and descents without a hitch (apart from losing the top chainring on the descent which annoyingly made me miss out on the 60+km/hr max speed that I'd been aiming for). Did a loop out to Mount Buninyong, the biggest hill we have in the area, put the Jag on my shoulder and ran up to the top of the viewing platform and took a couple of photos.

I think an updated crankset is on the cards as it's geared more towards the flats (I think), so I might have to hunt down something that will make the hills a little easier. The biggest climb was a cat. 3 and amazes me how those tour guys do those steeper climbs. I was disappointed to see that the nationals road course only goes part way up the Mount and so the King of the Mountain stage misses the steepest parts, I'd be disappointed if I were those boys. lol.

Image Image

and I made a new friend on my way around the back of Mt. Buninyong...

Cheers,

Fuzzy

Lots of steel bikes

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:16 pm

Apollo Geneva in the buy swap section.

Kermit TF

Postby Kermit TF » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:05 pm

That horrific, rusty, basketcase black IV at the top of this page is now in my possession...many thanks to Aaron. I just had to rescue it.
I will call her black betty... :twisted:
After a total rip down, she was taken to the guru of sandbasters at A&A sandblasting....the frame turned out to be in top nick much to my relief. Then she was driven down the road in Fyshwick to the regions best powdercoaters, Canfab Engineering for a "special" black coat and deep gloss, their workmanship is unreal.
Betty is on the stand and will receive her plastic surgery over the next few weeks..
Pics soon of the awesome job by Canfab.

Rob74

Postby Rob74 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:06 pm

"Kermit TF"black IV.. now in my possession.
Frame looks right size for me KermitTF....I'm pleased you snaffled it.
=>> Looking forward to seeing it finished It'll go well with the GOLD V from the Central Coast.

Rob

Apollo3

Postby Apollo3 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:43 pm

Kermit TF wrote:That horrific, rusty, basketcase black IV at the top of this page is now in my possession...many thanks to Aaron. I just had to rescue it.
I will call her black betty... :twisted:
After a total rip down, she was taken to the guru of sandbasters at A&A sandblasting....the frame turned out to be in top nick much to my relief. Then she was driven down the road in Fyshwick to the regions best powdercoaters, Canfab Engineering for a "special" black coat and deep gloss, their workmanship is unreal.
Betty is on the stand and will receive her plastic surgery over the next few weeks..
Pics soon of the awesome job by Canfab.
Can't wait to see it!

Sneak peak of my rebuild, decal pic isn't the best! Crappy iPhone camera... It's a metallic red.

Kermit TF

Postby Kermit TF » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:18 pm

Looking good Aaron..
Who did the paint ?....I see Brents looked after you.

Apollo3

Postby Apollo3 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:54 pm

Kermit TF wrote:Looking good Aaron..
Who did the paint ?....I see Brents looked after you.
Mobile Fabrications in Queanbeyan did both the blasting and powder coated, red with a clear coat.

He has furnished me with decals, not sure of being looked after - $80 a set, a co worker brought out the wrong package it contained a couple of set or more marked at $65...

But all good, at least I got some for it!

Apollo3

Postby Apollo3 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:59 pm

98 % done, drink bottle holder and some minor tweaking.