Apollophiles - The Apollo Appreciation Thread

Hillbillyjazzer

Re: Apollophiles - The Apollo Appreciation Thread

Postby Hillbillyjazzer » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:59 pm

Kermit TF wrote:Dont get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with Spending a little bit of money "cleaning" up an apollo 1 or apollo 2 , its when I see guys spending $2-300 on an apollo that you could buy for $75-100 in good nick to begin with. Thats the point Im making.
are you sitting down ? :D :D I have finally got 95 percent of all the parts for the rebuild.........and they have come in at $470......but that includes hand built wheels that are just absolutely Beautiful, and top of the range quality parts, I also decided to have the frame and forks blasted and I have repainted them in the original green, I am also having the decals remade.......so by the time I am finished I am looking at approx. $600......but as I said I love bringing old bikes back to life

have you picked yourself up off the floor yet :D :D :D :D

Hillbillyjazzer

Postby Hillbillyjazzer » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:05 pm

Kermit TF wrote:Dont get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with Spending a little bit of money "cleaning" up an apollo 1 or apollo 2 , its when I see guys spending $2-300 on an apollo that you could buy for $75-100 in good nick to begin with. Thats the point Im making.
I paid $10 for mine and it was pretty well stuffed, so after the rebuild/restoration, I am going to have a really nice bike, that is going to last another 30 years

The Fixer

Postby The Fixer » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:22 am

gazo wrote:
hillbillyjazzer54 wrote:
Kermit TF wrote: I have to ask....why did you choose to restore an apollo 1 ? :shock:
Because I love bringing old bikes back to life, whether they are rare or not
I love that response!

I just finished cleaning up an Apollo I which I rescued from hard rubbish metal scavangers, now giving it to a 20-something family friend who is very excited to own it!

A little snapshot... Before:

After:

That's what it's all about for me. Saving the environment and teaching kids to appreciate a time when things were not designed with "inbuilt obsolescence".

That's a common term for manufacturers these days, by the way. EG: electronics companies use 50 cents diodes with 600 hour lifetimes so however good the rest of the appliance is, it will stop working after 600 hours. Then it goes on the scraphead because the expert man-hour $$$ required to diagnose & fix the point of failure are ridiculous. This is what's killing our planet.
Totally in agreement with your comments there, Gazo...

I'm a member of our local Men's Shed, and my work there involves rebuilding and refurbishing donated bikes (hence the forum 'nick') for re-sale or donation to charities, the poor, and 3rd-world countries, mainly to Namibia . It's amazing how many bikes we receive which have very little actually wrong with them (apart from many being utter BSOs), but because they only cost $75 - $100 to buy new anything more expensive than fixing a puncture simply isn't viable.

But, because we don't charge a fortune for labour, and because any bikes which are beyond salvation are parted-out and anything which can be re-used is saved before the remains go to be recycled, giving us an ongoing source of basically free spares, it then becomes viable. We also do repairs on customers' bikes, because it's uneconomical for them to take the bikes to any of the LBS's (most of whom won't touch them anyway).

I've also 'done-up' a few 'classic' Apollos for myself the same way. I prefer NOT to 'restore' to show-quality standard, I like to keep the original paint, patina and scratches/chips included whenever at all possible, provided any damage isn't too severe. Some may also ask why I bother with the 'lower-end', but when you have a sound basic bike and you can get decent mid-range period parts (though not often the very high-end stuff) for very little (or no) cost, then why not? And they're just as worth saving, from a historical point of view, as the 'exotica'. Imagine, for example, if the ONLY early Holdens anyone had bothered to save were the Monaros and XU1s, and no-one even bothered trying to save a Torana SL, a Kingswood or a Belmont ute? But fortunately some people have, and saving a few of the better old lower-end bikes is just as important. I have 3 x Apollo IIs (1981, 1983 and 1984), a 1990 Apollo 'Clipper' (basically the equivalent of an Apollo I, but mine has been vastly improved over standard, with better-quality alloy components throughout to replace all the steel - a far better bike than many give/gave it credit for, and now surprisingly light with all the steel gone), a 1980 Apollo III, and a 1988 Apollo 'Delta' (my personal fave, chro-mo frame still painted in its original pearlescent white, and a truly lovely little bike to ride). I've chosen Apollos as my personal choice as I've found that even their low-end bikes were generally much better-built and equipped than many of their competitors.

You'll notice that these are all roadies, but I've refurbed a few Apollo MTBs for the Shed, quite liked some of them and was going to build one for myself. But the size was never right, they'd either be too low or way too tall. Or simply too stuffed. However I recently acquired a very clean and mostly original 1995 Apollo 'Summit' which is just right, size-wise and hasn't had the guts flogged out of it or spent the last 15 years lying behind someone's shed. And I just happen to have a nice set of alloy canti brakes, levers, cranks (with Bio-Pace sprockets), decent derailleurs and an alloy stem/bars etc. lying around. So it should turn out nicely, look good, be of reasonable 'even-better-than-new' quality, and cost very little but some of my spare time. Valuable? No, but it's not worthless junk either. And I'm not doing it to chase a dollar, anyway.

Money IS very tight here though, so I do not aspire to being the owner of a Celle, Pinarello or Colnago etc. and am not an 'elitist' or brand-snob anyway, as my 'sig' indicates. But I can (and do) get every bit as much fun and enjoyment out of what I DO have, and the more so seeing as how I've built them all myself. And since I build them for myself, I don't really care if others 'like' them or not, or think I've wasted time or money, as I believe I've done neither. Some of my Apollos are featured elsewhere in this thread, as are some of the Apollos I've built or refurbed for others. So here's a 'before' pic of my 'new' 1995 Apollo Summit MTB. No 'in progress' or 'after' pics yet, as I only picked her up last Thursday afternoon...
:D

I don't care if it's a $20 Huffy or a $20k Colnago, as long as you're riding, and you're happy.

Kermit TF

Postby Kermit TF » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:38 pm

Fixer, Let me know when your up here next, Ive still got those frames and parts from April I said Id give you.
When in doubt......mumble.

steeldoken

Postby steeldoken » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:18 pm

This was my first bike, i do miss that lovely fluoro.

a-frame81

Postby a-frame81 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:57 pm

I'm part way through my rebuild of my old Apollo Vitesse. All up I think it will end up about the $300-400 mark for the rebuild. In the process I'm upgrading to brifters instead of the old downtube shifters and replacing the old grouppo with more modern parts.

Before:

Step one:

Where I'm at now:

Kimbo73

Postby Kimbo73 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:23 pm

Hello Apollophiliacs, I have only just joined BNA and this is my first post.

I recently picked up my first ever Retro ride. :D
As it is an Apollo, my internet searches for info led me to "The Apollophiles".
Been loving trawling through this forum and seeing what you all have.

Here's my new ride...

A LEMON YELLOW 1985 Apollo 3.

Dia-Compe 500 Brakes and brake levers.
Kuwahara Headset
Suntour friction shifters and FD.
Shimano 600 RD
Sugino GT crank set 52-40
Regina CX 13-23 free wheel, 6 speed.
Velocity 27" rear rim.
Araya 27" Front rim.
Both running Shimano VIA hubs. Run very smooth.

It has a few little rust and battle scars here and there but nothing too bad. I will be leaving this bike as a "Survivor" with no plans of stripping and re-paining.

I haven't taken it for a decent test ride yet, hopefully this weekend.
I fitted a new chain last night and have some new brake pads to fit tonight. Really looking forward to see how she rolls.

Couldn't work out how to post photos on the page so here is a link - https://www.flickr.com/photos/111209152 ... 129671915/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PatNZ

Postby PatNZ » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:34 pm

a-frame81 wrote:I'm part way through my rebuild of my old Apollo Vitesse. All up I think it will end up about the $300-400 mark for the rebuild. In the process I'm upgrading to brifters instead of the old downtube shifters and replacing the old grouppo with more modern parts.

Before:

Step one:

Where I'm at now:

Nice to see. I'm using a slightly rusty Apollo Vittesse myself. It'd be nice to have a go at repainting one day. I'm interested in seeing the end result of your project.

Brifters would be nice. Many times i've thought about getting some 9 speed brifters. As my bike is at the moment I put a newer back wheel on it and a 8 speed cassette. Since 8 speed cassettes can work with 7 speed downtube shifters.

What do you think about the brake calipers on the front? I tried to put modern dual pivot brakes on mine and realized the clearance is different longer than normal modern calipers. Fresh pads and correct adjustment helped though.

Are you planning to put original style details back on?

singlespeedscott

Apollophiles - The Apollo Appreciation Thread

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:13 pm

I picked up this 1981 Kuwahara built Apollo V off eBay the other day. I paid way to much for it but it's in awesome condition. Under the Gold paint it has a full chrome fork and chromed stays. Strangely for a V it is kitted out with a near complete Suntour Superbe groupset. The guy I bought it off said that you could spec a V with Superbe as an option. I always thought that Superbe was only available on the top end VI. Any thoughts.

I have stripped it down and found next to no rust just few scraps and chips and thankfully no dents. Unfortunately the components aren't in the best condition with plenty of corrosion to the chrome but it will come up a treat eventually. It's also missing the correct seat post, saddle and wheels. One other thing I found strange was that it has a Sugino headset. I didn't even know they made one. ImageImageImageImage
What Superbe Pro has to do with hang gliders is beyond me. Typical quirky Japanese thinking :lol:

Lots of steel bikes

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:42 pm

I disagree. You didn't pay to much for it. Worth every cent.

a-frame81

Postby a-frame81 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:06 pm

PatNZ wrote:
a-frame81 wrote:I'm part way through my rebuild of my old Apollo Vitesse. All up I think it will end up about the $300-400 mark for the rebuild. In the process I'm upgrading to brifters instead of the old downtube shifters and replacing the old grouppo with more modern parts.

Before:

Step one:

Where I'm at now:

Nice to see. I'm using a slightly rusty Apollo Vittesse myself. It'd be nice to have a go at repainting one day. I'm interested in seeing the end result of your project.

Brifters would be nice. Many times i've thought about getting some 9 speed brifters. As my bike is at the moment I put a newer back wheel on it and a 8 speed cassette. Since 8 speed cassettes can work with 7 speed downtube shifters.

What do you think about the brake calipers on the front? I tried to put modern dual pivot brakes on mine and realized the clearance is different longer than normal modern calipers. Fresh pads and correct adjustment helped though.

Are you planning to put original style details back on?
I'll be putting some dual pivot ones on as I sold the (almost) complete groupset since I was changing from 7 to 8 speed. I checked the length on the old ones and they were 47-57mm.
I've found these: http://www.this link is broken.au/dia-compe-brs1 ... er-brakes/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or these http://www.this link is broken.au/miche-performa ... liper-set/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
that I'm tossing up between.

coldst

Postby coldst » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:24 pm

Lots of steel bikes wrote:I disagree. You didn't pay to much for it. Worth every cent.
I couldn't believe the price it went for but the frame does look to be in great condition which counts for a lot.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:19 am

I have been going through the date codes on the Apollo V components and they are all over the place -
Rear derailleur -TI - 1977 - but it's painted and stamped like a 81,
Front derailleur - UF - 1978 - It is a Superbe not a Superbe Pro so it matches the images from the 78 catalog
Cranks - A4 & A2 - 1984,
The brake calipers, levers and pedals match the images from the 1981 Superbe Pro catalog.
The bottom bracket and shift levers are the same Superbe items that had been in production since 1977 and have no date stamps.

A bit strange :? I can only guess that a lot of the parts would have been siting in stock for a while and that the crankset was a later replacement part. Interestingly the images of the 1978 headset match those of the Sugino headset in the frame so I guess it was Sugino that manufactured the headset for Suntour originally.

Lots of steel bikes

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:11 pm

Brought this one home yesterday. Didn't know they made Apollos with aero shifter mounts. Mix of parts Shimano 600 500 and 105. Pelissier hubs.
A small frame that someone quite tall has made fit. Could it be much uglier?

Kimbo73

Postby Kimbo73 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:34 pm

Oh wow, yes it is ugly but just its setup. I'm sure it will nice once its reverted back for the right size rider.

The Fixer

Postby The Fixer » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:21 am

Kimbo73 wrote:Oh wow, yes it is ugly but just its setup. I'm sure it will nice once its reverted back for the right size rider.
Great minds think alike, Kimbo.

Unfortunately, it does appear to also be too small for me, so I'd still have to address the same problem somehow.

A nice score, though, regardless.
I don't care if it's a $20 Huffy or a $20k Colnago, as long as you're riding, and you're happy.

TopSide

Postby TopSide » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:29 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:I have been going through the date codes on the Apollo V components and they are all over the place -
. . .
Can you find the serial number on the frame? If it is a Kuwahara built frame then the serial number should be on the seat tube, non-drive side, above the BB.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:13 pm

Yes it is. I'll post it up tonight.

MrPlow86

Postby MrPlow86 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:12 pm

Hello Everyone,
I was just wondering if any one could give me some specifications about the Apollo Jaguar (weight age etc).
I have picked one up at lifeline for $40 and i'm currently restoring it, it seems to be in good condition.
http://imgur.com/a/U995U#0 Here are 2 Pictures

Lots of steel bikes

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:00 pm

Did a bit of reading and it looks like aero shifter mounts were found only on Apollo IVs or Vs. Can anyone confirm this?
Is it unusual not to have a headtube badge?

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:06 pm

Lots of steel bikes wrote:Image

Did a bit of reading and it looks like aero shifter mounts were found only on Apollo IVs or Vs. Can anyone confirm this?
What's the seat post diametre?

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:08 pm

TopSide wrote:
singlespeedscott wrote:I have been going through the date codes on the Apollo V components and they are all over the place -
. . .
Can you find the serial number on the frame? If it is a Kuwahara built frame then the serial number should be on the seat tube, non-drive side, above the BB.
The manufacturing code is - 81 07 63079

DarrylH

Postby DarrylH » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:22 pm

Well, that is a 1981 and it would have had a head tube badge. I think Apollo moved to a transfer on the head tube in about 1983. The Apollo logo looks wrong and with that shiny paint it has probably been resprayed.

Sorry, ignore this - after one glass of wine I got confused as to which bike I was looking at - must be getting old.
Last edited by DarrylH on Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:14 pm

DarrylH wrote:Well, that is a 1981 and it would have had a head tube badge. I think Apollo moved to a transfer on the head tube in about 1983. The Apollo logo looks wrong and with that shiny paint it has probably been resprayed.
I dont think has been resprayed. Inside the head tube and BB match perfectly to that out side. And there is no way anyone who reprayed it would bother applying new decals and reattaching the head badge.

Lots of steel bikes

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:40 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:
Lots of steel bikes wrote:Image

What's the seat post diametre?