Apollophiles - The Apollo Appreciation Thread

sli123

Re: Apollophiles - The Apollo Appreciation Thread

Postby sli123 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:27 pm

Cheers Guys.
Kermit TF wrote:Top job !
I noticed you wrote the frame and forks weigh 3kg, is it a Tange infinity frame ? (interesting that the Ishiwata frames are either 1.9 or 2.2kg..) my gun metal Apollo 3.5 weighs about the same.
I bought another V 4 weeks ago, only arrived on thursday, need to sell my small one now :?
Not sure about the Tange. One would think I should know.........

Where do you keep finding the V's? :shock: I thought they'd be a reasonably rare beast.

I've got everything back at the LBS now getting put back together. I decided to leave the group set in "as is" condition. It's all in pretty good shape anyway. Still haven't found proper hood covers though :(

Kermit TF

Postby Kermit TF » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:15 pm

What groupset does yours have ?
Hehe, bikes tend to find their owners... I bought one a year ago as a mid 80s apollo, (the hand painted "V" on the top had worn off) its the Grecian gold that gives them away.
That paint job looks superb.
When in doubt......mumble.

Lots of steel bikes

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:25 pm

What's the story with Apollo engraved bars? Were they found on certain models?

Last edited by Lots of steel bikes on Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sli123

Postby sli123 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:41 pm

Kermit TF wrote:What groupset does yours have ?
Hehe, bikes tend to find their owners... I bought one a year ago as a mid 80s apollo, (the hand painted "V" on the top had worn off) its the Grecian gold that gives them away.
That paint job looks superb.
The paint job is exceptional, other than the paint that ended up inside the BB.

Group set.....

I should have it back in a couple of days, ready to roll.

OliSS

Postby OliSS » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:45 am

First time poster here, hi everyone.

I recently picked up an Apollo IV from hard rubbish. I didn't know anything about the bike but the components were good so I grabbed it.

My research into the frame led me to this thread and felt compelled to share.

Plan is to strip all components, clean up and rebuild.

Parts list:
Shimano 600 cranks and brakes
Dia Compe Aero Gran Compe levers
Suntour Cyclone derailleurs
Suzue hubs and Araya rims
SR Laprade seatpost
Nitto stem and bars

Any tips appreciated.

Cheers

Kermit TF

Postby Kermit TF » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:17 pm

Nice find..that thing looks clean.
Interesting assortment of parts, you dont see many with suntour cyclone , looks like an 85-86.

OliSS

Postby OliSS » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:23 pm

Correct, it's an 86.

It's a touch small for me, but won't be a major issue as it will be used as a runabout when I can't be bothered with cleats.

Anyone know anything about these 5 speed cassettes? Are they splined or do they thread on like freewheel? Mine appears to be seized.

Cheers

morini

Postby morini » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:01 am

5 speed spin on clusters are threaded and you need the right tool (costs around $15) and a vice to get them off. Each brand of cluster, Suntour/Regina/Shimano etc uses a different shaped tool. You use the quick release or something similar to hold the tool in place which is locked in a vice then you rotate the wheel in the opposite direction of travel and hope the cluster spins off. Some people use spanners or a shifter instead of a vice but using the vice allows you more leverage. Check on Youtube if your not sure, but it's pretty simple.

OliSS

Postby OliSS » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:12 am

Great advice, thanks morini!

Malvernrats

Postby Malvernrats » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:57 pm

Picked this up today
5 speed , suntour GT rd
Sugino cranks
24" wheels
Is this something that is seen a lot?
Makes a great addition to my other Apollos

hillbillyjazzer54

Postby hillbillyjazzer54 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:42 am

Hi

I have just discovered this thread, after picking up a Ten Dollar tip shop 1982 Apollo 1 10 Speed
it has a Kuhawara/Tange Frame in a beautiful Green, it has a few Rust spots around it with all the original Decals, so I am not going to sand blast and repaint.....but I have had the Bike stripped down to its bare bones, I then lightly wet and dried it, then wiped it over with Prepsol, and applied Three coats of clear coat, I am now building up the coats of polish on it......the Wheels and Running gear on it was too far gone so I am going to replace with all new parts.....but in period style

I do not know how to post Photos here, so here is my Facebook link with some photos

https://www.facebook.com/mark.beach.944" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

admin if this link is not allowed, please delete it......thanks

hillbillyjazzer54

Postby hillbillyjazzer54 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:54 pm

ok I hope this works.......here are the photos of the Bike from my above Post

http://rs24.pbsrc.com/albums/c41/hillbi ... 9.jpg~c200" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The photos of the stripped Frame are after it has been washed, wet and dried, clear coated and a few coats of polish, it now shines like a Diamond in the rough, you can just about see your face in the rust

The Blue Bike is just something I Mocked up, it has the old 27 inch wheels in a 26 inch Frame.......mmmmm now let me think a Roughy Ratster

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:06 am

Malvernrats wrote:Picked this up today
5 speed , suntour GT rd
Sugino cranks
24" wheels
[url=http://s676.photobucket.com/user/ayepea ... 1.jpg.html]
Is this something that is seen a lot?
Makes a great addition to my other Apollos
Nice find! And no that is definitely not something that is seen a lot :) . Larger tricycles of any sort are pretty uncommon, i was over the moon when i found a Gomier to restore for my wife. It's a lot of fun to ride, quite a few quirks like pulling to the side with the road camber or when using the rear brake as one of the rear wheels just spins freely. Of course one wheel drive means you just put your weight to one side and pedal like hell to do a burnout :lol: .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Kermit TF

Postby Kermit TF » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:41 pm

hillbillyjazzer54 wrote:Hi

I have just discovered this thread, after picking up a Ten Dollar tip shop 1982 Apollo 1 10 Speed
it has a Kuhawara/Tange Frame in a beautiful Green, it has a few Rust spots around it with all the original Decals, so I am not going to sand blast and repaint.....but I have had the Bike stripped down to its bare bones, I then lightly wet and dried it, then wiped it over with Prepsol, and applied Three coats of clear coat, I am now building up the coats of polish on it......the Wheels and Running gear on it was too far gone so I am going to replace with all new parts.....but in period style

I do not know how to post Photos here, so here is my Facebook link with some photos

https://www.facebook.com/mark.beach.944" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have to ask....why did you choose to restore an apollo 1 ? :shock:

hillbillyjazzer54

Postby hillbillyjazzer54 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:19 am

Kermit TF wrote:
hillbillyjazzer54 wrote:Hi

I have to ask....why did you choose to restore an apollo 1 ? :shock:
Because I love bringing old bikes back to life, whether they are rare or not

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:02 pm

I just rebuilt an old 25" Apollo IV. Nothing left of the original except for the frame. This will be my new commuter. I've got a bit of an epic planned for the weekend which will involve some dirt roads so I have not mounted the mudguards yet.

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:13 am

Beautiful bike. Great choice of parts Scott. And great frame too.

Strydz

Postby Strydz » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:25 am

Cracking looking build, top shelf SSS
1983-Batavus Professional-Reynolds 531c
1990-Flanders-Columbus SLX
2014-Giant TCR SL

Kermit TF

Postby Kermit TF » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:01 pm

Sweet..
The 350 chev of roadies.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:15 pm

Thanks lads. She's a bit rough around the edges but seems structurally sound. I've taken her for a couple of shakedown rides. Not fast on the climbs but very nice on the dirt and a rocket on the descents.

http://www.strava.com/activities/207097350" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.strava.com/activities/207489103" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gazo

Postby gazo » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:03 pm

hillbillyjazzer54 wrote:
Kermit TF wrote: I have to ask....why did you choose to restore an apollo 1 ? :shock:
I love that response!

I just finished cleaning up an Apollo I which I rescued from hard rubbish metal scavangers, now giving it to a 20-something family friend who is very excited to own it!

A little snapshot... Before:

After:

That's what it's all about for me. Saving the environment and teaching kids to appreciate a time when things were not designed with "inbuilt obsolescence".

That's a common term for manufacturers these days, by the way. EG: electronics companies use 50 cents diodes with 600 hour lifetimes so however good the rest of the appliance is, it will stop working after 600 hours. Then it goes on the scraphead because the expert man-hour $$$ required to diagnose & fix the point of failure are ridiculous. This is what's killing our planet.

Kermit TF

Postby Kermit TF » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:31 pm

Dont get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with Spending a little bit of money "cleaning" up an apollo 1 or apollo 2 , its when I see guys spending $2-300 on an apollo that you could buy for $75-100 in good nick to begin with. Thats the point Im making.

gazo

Postby gazo » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:28 am

Fair call! :)

Speaking of Apollos in good nick at a good price, here's a tidy looking III on the Gold Coast for ~$100:

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/miami/bi ... 1059859311" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Surely that would sell for a lot more in Sydney or Melbourne?

Golden rule: “It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.”

mark field

Postby mark field » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:21 am

gazo wrote:Fair call! :)

Speaking of Apollos in good nick at a good price, here's a tidy looking III on the Gold Coast for ~$100:

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/miami/bi ... 1059859311" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Surely that would sell for a lot more in Sydney or Melbourne?
everything in Sydney costs more or is half the quality , half the quantity, harder to get/find, easier to have stolen, harder to find time to use or fix :cry: :cry:
steel is the real deal.

Hillbillyjazzer

Postby Hillbillyjazzer » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:42 pm

gazo wrote:
hillbillyjazzer54 wrote:
Kermit TF wrote: I have to ask....why did you choose to restore an apollo 1 ? :shock:
I love that response!

I just finished cleaning up an Apollo I which I rescued from hard rubbish metal scavangers, now giving it to a 20-something family friend who is very excited to own it!

A little snapshot... Before:

After:

That's what it's all about for me. Saving the environment and teaching kids to appreciate a time when things were not designed with "inbuilt obsolescence".

That's a common term for manufacturers these days, by the way. EG: electronics companies use 50 cents diodes with 600 hour lifetimes so however good the rest of the appliance is, it will stop working after 600 hours. Then it goes on the scraphead because the expert man-hour $$$ required to diagnose & fix the point of failure are ridiculous. This is what's killing our planet.
Thank You, I have not been on for a while as I have a few bike projects going on as well as the Apollo