Apollophiles - The Apollo Appreciation Thread

Derny Driver

Re: Apollophiles - The Apollo Appreciation Thread

Postby Derny Driver » Tue May 01, 2018 6:13 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:
Derny Driver wrote:Apollo experts -
I have an ancient Apollo 3 frame, Tange 900, seatpost 26.6 (building a pub bike)
Bottom bracket size is 68mm
Im guessing its BRITISH thread, not Italian?

I want to put Golden Arrow cranks on it. So Im looking at Shimano 600 English BB 1.37 x 24 119mm JIS spindle.
Can someone confirm before I buy the BB?
Cheers
DD
Which Golden Arrow cranks?
7sp(1055) double is 113 or 115mm
8sp(1056) double is 107mm
8sp(1058) triple is 118mm
:shock: :?: :|
No idea!
They are doubles. How can I tell?

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue May 01, 2018 6:28 pm

Derny Driver wrote:
10speedsemiracer wrote:
Derny Driver wrote:Apollo experts -
I have an ancient Apollo 3 frame, Tange 900, seatpost 26.6 (building a pub bike)
Bottom bracket size is 68mm
Im guessing its BRITISH thread, not Italian?

I want to put Golden Arrow cranks on it. So Im looking at Shimano 600 English BB 1.37 x 24 119mm JIS spindle.
Can someone confirm before I buy the BB?
Cheers
DD
No idea!
Hang on, ignore my earlier post, came from a spreadsheet which I didn't filter properly (so those are later 105s).

Need the component number from the rear of the crank arm, should look like FC-S125 or FC-S105.

Golden Arrow also had 3 different BB widths, but the only one I have listed is 119mm but this is a non-symmetrical BB (has an overhang) so if you're using a symmetrical cartridge BB instead, would need to be 122mm to compensate.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Tue May 01, 2018 6:35 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:
Derny Driver wrote:
10speedsemiracer wrote:
No idea!
Hang on, ignore my earlier post, came from a spreadsheet which I didn't filter properly (so those are later 105s).

Need the component number from the rear of the crank arm, should look like FC-S125 or FC-S105.

Golden Arrow also had 3 different BB widths, but the only one I have listed is 119mm but this is a non-symmetrical BB (has an overhang) so if you're using a symmetrical cartridge BB instead, would need to be 122mm to compensate.
Awesome mate, you're a legend.
Thanks for the info, appreciate it.

Oh also..... its English thread, right??

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue May 01, 2018 6:41 pm

[/quote]
Awesome mate, you're a legend.
Thanks for the info, appreciate it.

Oh also..... its English thread, right??[/quote]

So the cranks are FC-S125 ? Then yeah, what I said. The original Shimano BB was BB-3P11.
I can't find an entry on my stupid database for FC-S025.

And yes, Apollo III would be English.

I do like an Apollo III, hope it turns out nice. Looking forward to pics.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Tue May 01, 2018 7:09 pm

Thanks 10ssr :)

apollo95

Postby apollo95 » Mon May 07, 2018 2:08 pm

Still got my Kosciusko I've put a a nice chunky rear tyre on it just for something different, I ride it occasionally, such an awesome bike!
I bought a new 7spd sprocket and chain from Cyclingdeal and this has freshened it up nicely! :)
koshari wrote:
Bird wrote:
apollo95 wrote:I thought I would share with you all my pride and joy its my 1995 Apollo Kosciusko. :P

I purchased this bike in 1995 for somewhere around $400-500.
Over the years I have replaced derailleurs and shifters, but its an awesome bike and I've never come across one on the net the same as mine. The paint colour scheme is just beautiful .
Here are the pics of it!
So happens I have 2 of these at home in the same colours :)

1 I bought new in around same time as you did, which is in need of a FULL rebuild, so gives me something to do, but I've found chasing bits a little bit hard...

Any clues in Melb where to find old school parts would be appreciated.. :) Mainly I need a pair of wheels for it, the rest I can hopefully resurrect...

The other I bought for bits, but its way too nice for that... It is in great condition, E-nasty auction site score for $80... The only thing I'd like to do is convert wheels to Quick release so I can fit in the car.

The backup auction bike looks nice. Changing that rear wheel to quick release is pretty cheap and relatively straight forward. Just get an axle set and some skewers for around 10 bucks. Can provide links if you like.
I Just picked up a himalaya without wheels for 10 bucks. It will be getting A lick of paint and the cantis replaced with tektro mini Vs so i can keep the nice integrated brifters. It will also be hosting a e-bike rear wheel . As the missus wants the giant back to standard.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri May 11, 2018 2:16 pm

G'day All. I am looking to sell this Apollo V. Frame and fork only.

The frame was made by Kuwahara in 1981, using from Tange 2 tubing.

Seat tube length is 59cm, centre to to;
Top tube is 57cm, centre to centre.

Condition is good with a few scrapes and chips to the paint.

I am open to any reasonable offers over. PM me if your interested.

paulos

Postby paulos » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:57 am

G'day all, I've just picked up an early 80's Apollo 111 in pretty good original condition, except for the mismatched pedals.

Can someone please give me some advice on what brand or style of pedals would suit? They don't necessarily have to be oem , just something period and aesthetically correct.

Cheers.

P.s. I'll post a pic of the bike when i figure out how to do it.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:07 am

paulos wrote:P.s. I'll post a pic of the bike when i figure out how to do it.
How to post images on the Australian Cycling Forums

paulos

Postby paulos » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:48 am

Releng

Postby Releng » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:14 pm

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/frenchs ... 1189189276

Hey guys,
Someone from here should buy this!!!!

I do not know the guy, just came across it on Gumtree.
Too small and too far away for me.

Cheers,
Mick

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:05 pm

It’s certainly little.

munga

Postby munga » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:27 pm

Hi guys, I'm looking for decals for an Apollo V. Where do I start looking?
My brother-in-law has owned it from new, and has asked me to restore it.
Needs paint & new decals.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:02 pm

munga wrote:Hi guys, I'm looking for decals for an Apollo V. Where do I start looking?
My brother-in-law has owned it from new, and has asked me to restore it.
Needs paint & new decals.
If there are decals in place, Greg (AT) Cyclomondo may be able to help out. His stuff is excellent.

http://cyclomondo.net/page2.htm

munga

Postby munga » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:46 pm

thanks, i have greg on fb. i have asked him. thought one of you geeks might have had some originals stashed away.

hayzie93

Postby hayzie93 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:38 pm

hayzie93 wrote:Hi All,

This is my first foray into the "not brand new" bikes world. Please don't lynch me if I overlook the obvious :roll:

I picked this up from a guy saying this is a mid 90s Apollo frame. He couldn't place the exact model due to all the decals having been removed. Seems like he treated it with care and gave it a nice clean but never got around to IDing the bike.

Anyone recognise the frame or do you have tips on how to find out? Apparently some of the groupset components are from the original Shimano RX100 line that came with the bike and the tubing is Columbus chromoly. More pics here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Cheers!
Gday Gents,

Thought some of you might be curious as to how this beautiful Apollo Concorde looks now that its had a few upgrades. Still can't be 100% sure, but the old Shimano RSX era components dated the frame to the very early 90s. Ended up adding the following:
  • Craftworx hand-built H Plus Son Archetype Wheel set with Panaracer Pasela 25mm Tyres. These wheels roll like a dream.
  • Shimano 105 5800 11 speed full groupset
  • Tange Levin headset
  • Some non-branded 80mm quill stem (the older ITM stem was too long :( )
I had to cold set the seat stays due to the wider spacing for the 11 speed groupset. Surprisingly, my budget home job turned out dead on symmetrical and the rear cogs are smooth and aligned perfectly. Only thing left to do is to find the right shade of blue to do some touch-ups on the frame's paint work, but finding a colour match is easier said than done. Safe to say I'm pretty happy with how this turned out.

Album here: https://imgur.com/a/eDH0uk9

peteo

Postby peteo » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:42 pm

great looking resto, the blue and black look pretty good!! Here's my old Apollo 11 that I've kept since it was new. Good nic for a 36yr old and almost totally original, I buckled the front wheel many many years ago when popin a mono and just replaced it with a steel rim.http://s50.photobucket.com/user/jangoap ... sort=1&o=3

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:11 am

peteo wrote:great looking resto, the blue and black look pretty good!! Here's my old Apollo 11 that I've kept since it was new. Good nic for a 36yr old and almost totally original, I buckled the front wheel many many years ago when popin a mono and just replaced it with a steel rim.http://s50.photobucket.com/user/jangoap ... sort=1&o=3
Hi Peteo, as per your other post, you need to copy the photo hosting link for IMG

Eug1

Postby Eug1 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:46 pm

Hi all,
First up, I ride a Shogun. But I was having a look through a pile of bikes today and came across this
An old (1980?) Apollo II, 61 cm CT, 10spd, seemingly all original gear on it. The owner wanted $100 for it.
Is he dreaming? Anyway, I've got my eye on a Katana in good nick, so if anybody's interested in the Apollo hit me up and I'll pass along the details
Cheers, Eugene
Ps sorry if the pics aren't showing

ChrisCrash

Postby ChrisCrash » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:11 pm

Hello everyone. I'm looking for a little feedback and/or advice.
So I bought an Apollo V off eBay. First mistake. Here's the net of it so far - The paint is beyond saving, and I had to cut off the Nitto stem and hacksaw it out as it was fused with the steerer. Bummer. I've now got the parts stripped off and am ready for next steps. The question is what next.

THE GOOD...It came with a good Shimano 600 headset. The little star nuts aren't buggered up, Laprade seatpost, and shimano bottom bracket. Bearings a bit worn but should be OK. The brakes needed a bit of work as the mounting bolt for the front was bent (I mean, how does that happen?) Got that straightened out and we'll see what happens. The crankset is pretty good and came off easily. The brake levers are OK with some scratching. Pretty good Nitto Olympiade bars, but old school narrow.

THE BAD... The front and rear ders are not Shimano 600 but some other series. Cleaned them up anyway. The downtube shifters are also not 600 but work in friction and 7 speed indexed, so OK. The hoods seem too big for the brake levers as when I pull the lever in the back of it hits the hood. They're pretty aged so I'll jut do a little clean up and get them functional. Not a big deal. ---- Update - the downtube shifters don't actually fit the frame. They were loose on the frame when I picked it up and I just thought they needed to be tightened up. Wrong.
The shifter bosses welded onto the frame seem to be something a bit odd. Cable stops for STI's won't fit on them either. Does anyone know anything about what actually works with these? Was hoping for at least 7 speed indexed shifting.

THE REALLY BAD... I thought I was buying a quad butted high zoot frame. I didn't think the V came in various flavors of tubing and the seller didnt' specify and I didn't ask, I just Ass-U-Med. So what I got is a "Magny Double Butted" frame, probably not terrible. Serial number on side of seat tube. Also a Tange 4H fork. I think the fork may be a little out of alignment but I have found a local source to check fork and frame alignment which I will do.
I've been working on bikes for a while and this was one I was wanting to do a full resto on but now I'm not sure it's justified. I don't want to get upside down on this bike as I've already got a very nice 1986 Raleigh Grand Prix with 7 speed indexed downtube shifters so that requirement is met.

SO WHAT TO DO?? - just put it back together as is and Just Ride It or move it along. It would be easy to go single speed (but that just rubs me the wrong way) or even 1x 7,8,9, etc on it. Still needs wheels (anyone?)
Get it powder coated (cheaper than paint where I live). Try to source some decals? Anyone ever find any?
There's a guy around Melbourne, but not cheap. Lixy?
If I did a full period correct resto, is this thing worth anything? (and not what its worth to me, I mean, whats it worth in dollars and cents) With every bike I own I keep a close tab on costs as I never know when I'll move it along for the next great thing. I keep about 6 or 7 riders and am continually upgrading by either selling or trading.
I've also got a pretty good shimano 600 tri-color group which I thought could put on it. 8 speed sti's. But I'm inclined to find a really nice steel frame for that
The frame has 130 rear spacing, so I could even go to a newer group assuming I can get cable stops that will work with the frame.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:28 pm

ChrisCrash wrote:Hello everyone. I'm looking for a little feedback and/or advice.
So I bought an Apollo V off eBay. First mistake.......
I s'pose the first question would be, do you think it really is an ApolloV ?

Personally, I'd give it a refurb and sell it off as a 2x7 commuter with whatever bits are on there, spending no more than is required to make it safe and functional. So cables, brake pads, bar tape, maybe some cheap tyres if the existing present badly....clean the hell out of the frame and rattle-can some clear over it, and move it on. If it works well should be able to get near $200 for it...maybe.

Once we start doing paint/decals, the viability of $ recovery vanishes. The alternative, if it rides nicely and you want to keep, is paint/powdercoat + decals from Cyclomondo + wheelset + 8sp cassette + 28mm rubber and fit the 2x8 brifters and make a nice semi-retromod fun bike. Depends on where you want to go with it..

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:16 pm

If it's the one I'm thinking of (bronze/brown, was on ebay without wheels?), then it's bullet biting time. Judging by the way the front reflector looks to have been torn off, the brake mount bolt was probably bent when that happened. Aside from the parts needing a GOOD clean, the paint does look too far gone. Think of it as a chance to practice your paint stripping and application techniques. Get some gel stripper from the hardware or paint shop and get it all off. Bust out the rattle cans and practice a fade or something funky on it. Stick a few parts back onto it and sell it for half what you paid. Hey, we've all been there... 8)

Jim

uart

Postby uart » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:31 pm

ChrisCrash wrote:Hello everyone. I'm looking for a little feedback and/or advice.
Any chance that you could post up some images Chris? Generally people can give better advice if they can see what you've got.

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... =23&t=1349

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:13 am

I think it is a V. If not someone went to a lot of trouble to make a replica, which I think is very unlikely.

The stamped number on the side of the seat tube indicates it’s made by Kuwahara. I had a dark, metallic grey V built similarly to that frame, although it had a race number mount on the top tube. The front fork was identical.

It had full Shimano 600 EX including the headset. A Nitto stem and bars and a SR Laprade seat post, 26.8mm from memory.

The tubing was Ishiwata. What makes you think that it’s Mangy?

From what I can remember early Shimano 600 shift levers use a different mount to the Campagnolo standard used by everyone else.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:11 pm

Is this the one?