Apollophiles - The Apollo Appreciation Thread

Vintage, yesteryear and retro biking

Re: Apollophiles - The Apollo Appreciation Thread

Postby Rob74 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:52 pm

Re gravelrash » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:07 pm
"I have an 89 Apollo 'Team" it has full Shim 600 group set, Tange 2 tubing and Wobbler aero's (TX Profile)"

My 1992ish 14sp Apollo Team 62cm has Black frame & unicrown forks extra poxy with the "Apollo and Team stickers"as mozaic of fluro pink, fluro green and fluro blue ....frame says "Tange Race Geometry" had thought it to be "Tange Prestige" (don't think it is Prestige Super Lite) it has full Shimano 105 with dual pivot brakes. Ser No P11### 9 ...interestingly the 9 is separated by a space and looks like an after thought...Ser No is stamped on the underside of the down tube close to the bottom bracket L-R towards the head tube...not the same as Apollo V & VI 019 Frames eg 1985 Apollo V "019" frame has its serial number is on the non drive side of the seat tube =>> in the correct format for Kuwahara built Ishiwata "019" eg "85 10 88##", a 2-369 serial on the underside of the bottom bracket is more like what I have seen on Apollo II & III frames

My understanding is the Apollo Team was assembled in Taiwan (using Japanese Parts) replaced the Alternative (also assembled in Taiwan) (and hence the Apollo VI which was assembled in Japan). Suggest spec went down after 1987 stockmarket crash etc so no 019 frame and no longer made in Japan, the parts were japanese but bike was not assembled into a bike in Japan.

"Original Catalogue" APOLLO NEWS - World of Wheels (WOW) Catalogue Warren Norris Advertising 9 84 Printed in Australia by John Sands Printing Sydney NSW
APOLLO VI – 12 Speed
Colour: Pearl White
Frame: 019 CrMo double butted frame - "019" Sticker at top of seat tube
Forks: CrMo - "CrMo" stickers on both sides of the top of the fork blades
Ensemble: Suntour Superbe Pro
Sealed bearing B.B. Hubs & Pedals
Derailleurs: Superbe
Brake Set: CB3000
Panaracer Leger 230 GSM tubulars
Made in Japan

...so IMO my "Assembled in Taiwan Apollo Team" (with "Made in Taiwan" Sticker) is not up to the Made in Japan Apollo VI quality or component spec.

(Note that Repco quaity did something similar pre 1985 they were Nishki's, after 1990 the quality seemed to disappear and the bike shops stopped selling them due to the Ariadne Corporation debarcle.)

=>> Where is your serial number and what format?
=>> What colour is yours?
=>> Have U got Lugged or Unicrown Forks?
=>> Is yours 12sp or 14sp?

Rob
Rob74

by BNA » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:41 pm

BNA

Postby gravelrash » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:41 pm

Thanks for the Info Rob.
I too, seem to be the proud owner of similar "Team Taiwan Apollo"
Ser No. P 93### - 42 its was garishly white from forks to headstem. Then orange to 2/3rd the way downtube and toptube, then red to halfway down rearstays and to top off, flouro pink to dropouts. It too had the excitingly 80's MTV inspired 'Team" stickers.
Maybe the 600 was an update at a local dealer, and the forks are the Unicrown. stylish CRo Mo stickers attached.
gravelrash

Postby gravelrash » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:23 pm

Sorry Rob
Mine 14spd, Colour all over matched original Orange, (No decals) Serial number same location as yours,

So if I pillage my ALAN for the Suntour Superbe Pro ensemble I'll be close to that VI? (maybe for one weekend) :idea:
gravelrash

Postby The Fixer » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:09 pm

Now that I have them all together in one place, here is my collection of Apollos.

From left: the 'Aspen' MTB; the 'Delta'; the Apollo II; the Apollo 'Clipper'; the Apollo ???

The Delta is 100% original and rideable, none of the others are as yet. I have some decent alloy components (from an unidentifiable wreck)
to fit to the 'Clipper' to bring it 'up-market' somewhat. The II desperately needs a re-paint (and just about everything else...). The 'Aspen'
needs tyres/tubes and a good wash, but not much else.

Apart from the II, they will not be getting repainted, as I wish to keep the 'patina' of the original finish, blemishes and all, but the alloy etc will
be getting polished/cleaned. Although, thinking about it, the II would make a great 'rat-bike'. It's already nearly there, and has (ratty-looking)
but serviceable Sugino cranks/chainwheels, an alloy stem and bars, and alloy rims. It also has the only decent set of (Vee Rubber) gumwalls
out of them all.

I cannot identify the red Apollo on the right, it has a headstem badge, whereas none of the others do (the II appears to have had one once,
but it is long gone). It runs a Sugino alloy crank-chainwheel setup, Shimano shifters and derailleurs, and dia comp brakes with this unusual
adjuster (see below). It appears to have once been a very nice machine, and is complete, but rough.

Any ideas on this one? Frame no is on the bottom of the rear downtube just above the BB and is 84 10 23926 (October 1984???).

EDIT: Just noticed this in a previous post:- "not the same as Apollo V & VI 019 Frames eg 1985 Apollo V "019" frame has its serial number is on the
non drive side of the seat tube =>> in the correct format for Kuwahara built Ishiwata "019" eg "85 10 88##",
a 2-369 serial on the underside of the
bottom bracket is more like what I have seen on Apollo II & III frames".

Could this be what the 'Red Hen' is?

Last edited by The Fixer on Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I don't care if it's a $20 Huffy or a $20k Colnago, if you're riding it, and you're happy, it's a good bike.
The Fixer

Postby Kermit TF » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:50 pm

Correct , its oct 84..
More than likely a I or a II....sometime in late 84 , they went from the head badge to the cheap decal.
When in doubt......mumble.
Kermit TF

Postby The Fixer » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:01 pm

Muchos gracias, Kermit. Thanks.

The II has had a head-stem badge at some stage, presumably also pre-84?

Just looked, its f/n is in the same place, No is 81 06 61838. It's a Japanese-built frame.

Rims are Belgian-made Weinemann (116) 27x 1¼, brakes are Dia-Compe. Looks like it originally had stem-
shifters, now they're on the downtube near the top of the pedal stroke!!?? WT???? Foot-change, maybe??

Much older than I thought???

Oh, the Vee-Rubbers held air at 70 psi, so looking good.

There go my plans to turn the II into a 'rat-bike'... :-( Although if the paint hadn't fallen off the chrome
front-end, and some clown hadn't sanded the bejaysus out of the top-tube, it wouldn't actually
look too bad... :-( :-( What remains of the original paint is a lovely dark blue. It's a Lavington Cycles bike
originally, and is a long way from home... yes I did get rid (quickly) of the 'ape-hangers' it had fitted when
I got it.

Fit new brake levers & cables, and gear cables (the origs were either rusty steel bars, or missing), give it a
service and it's rideable... shame about the paintwork.

Mick.

I don't care if it's a $20 Huffy or a $20k Colnago, if you're riding it, and you're happy, it's a good bike.
The Fixer

Postby The Fixer » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:44 pm

The 'Delta' has just scored the original white 'Apollo' saddle off the 'Clipper'.

Sets it off nicely!! All white, except the decals. Lovely!

Uncomfortable as, though, so the Velo saddle will be going back on for any ride longer than a kay or two...
Last edited by The Fixer on Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Fixer

Postby The Fixer » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:23 pm

This would presumably be the 'name' equivalent of the Apollo I??
The 'K-mart' Apollo? Too crappy to save, too god to throw away...???
I have some decent ancillaries to fit to it (alloy crank-set, Dia-compe alloy brakes, alloy
bars/stem, rims etc)..
Cutting the (originally orange/red?) paint back reveals a lovely two-tone red/pink. It stays.
Yes, it's bottom-end. But I didn't have the heart to 'skip' it, and will save and 'up-grade' it.
And it IS an Apollo, after all...
Here's a shot after a rough hit with some T-cut.. Respray? Nah, not gonna happen.
I like her just the way she is... original.
The paintwork, apart from fading, is very good. But, cut back and buffed, it actually
looks quite nice.

I'm keeping it... it will be my 'ride-to-work' bike. Gotta be better than the shytbox K-mart
dual-shock I ride to work at present...

The Fixer

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:00 am

The Fixer wrote:This would presumably be the 'name' equivalent of the Apollo I??
The 'K-mart' Apollo? Too crappy to save, too god to throw away...???
I have some decent ancillaries to fit to it (alloy crank-set, Dia-compe alloy brakes, alloy
bars/stem, rims etc)..
Cutting the (originally orange/red?) paint back reveals a lovely two-tone red/pink. It stays.
Yes, it's bottom-end. But I didn't have the heart to 'skip' it, and will save and 'up-grade' it.
And it IS an Apollo, after all...
Here's a shot after a rough hit with some T-cut.. Respray? Nah, not gonna happen.
I like her just the way she is... original.
The paintwork, apart from fading, is very good. But, cut back and buffed, it actually
looks quite nice.

I'm keeping it... it will be my 'ride-to-work' bike. Gotta be better than the shytbox K-mart
dual-shock I ride to work at present...

Looks very similar to my Jaguar. Lower end stuff with really high gearing. Yes, low end, but in my opinion it rides great, not that I've ever ridden any other roadie, but does the job and I don't have to worry about it getting knocked around because the paints already worn in (not trashed, worn in, or loved.. :lol: )
FuzzyDropbear

Postby The Fixer » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:24 pm

The refurb of the 'Clipper' is coming along nicely. After stripping the bike completely, the frame has been cut back, and every component
has been removed and checked.
All the new (OK, second-hand) alloy gear has been sourced to replace the original steel, and is currently being fitted.
Strangely, no wear at all was found anywhere, the original bearings were all as-new, with no witness-marks at all, and even had old but
clean and serviceable grease in them. There was no sign of water having ever entered, and the adjustments were all OK. Equally unusually
there was not one single nut, bolt or screw with head damage or burred flats. It bears no signs of having ever been dropped, and mechanically
is very good, but shows no signs whatsoever that it has ever been worked upon. See pic of crank-nuts, as found upon crank removal.
I'd venture to suggest that this bike has done very few miles at all in its 23-year lifetime.

Mick.

EDIT: Brakes are Dia-Compe side-pull, cranks are Sugino, stem is SR. The original steel rims are toast, so it will be wearing the Apollo II's
Weinemanns until it gets its own alloys. Shifters will be downtube-mounted Suntour alloy.

The Fixer

Postby gravelrash » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:51 pm

Nothing better than finding a great bike with minimal "fettling". Nice!
gravelrash

Postby lobstermash » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:09 pm

The clunkers are a great source of pristine bearings. The previous owner(s) just didn't ride them. I took the virtually pristine bottom bracket and headset from my Apollo I to use on another project - they were like I'd just pulled them out of a box.
Passing on your right - me, said just about never...
lobstermash

Postby The Fixer » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:45 pm

That's why it's going to make such a great ride-to-work bike.
I get a virtually brand-new 23-yo bike, but (with the alloy components) a far better bike than it actually was when new.
The frame's not that heavy, even if nothing special, it should be a good 'rider' but not attract the thieves too much.
That's one reason why I elected not to respray the faded (but otherwise very good) paintwork.

Mick.
The Fixer

Postby The Fixer » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:50 pm

Well, the 'Clipper' is finished, and has taken me to work and to the shops for the last couple of days. She now has around 20-25km on her (probably more than she had on her before I got her!!), and really does ride like a new bike. Junking the steel stuff and replacing it with some half-decent alloy gear definitely helped, but she is lovely to ride. The frame's a bit short for my personal taste, but I can definitely live with it. She's heavier than the 'Delta', but much easier and less stressful to ride. The 'Delta' is as skittish as ferk on all but the best surfaces, and is very susceptible to cross-winds. She is, however, much faster point-to-point than the 'Clipper'.

Low-end, yes, but not as much as she was when new. She's like a long-dead baby, resuscitated, she literally was as-new and virtually never-ridden when found, but badly weathered (bike-fad buy, or spur-of-the-moment buy, maybe?).

Clunker or BSO? Not on your Nelly!! Anyway, see for yourselves, but ignore the paintwork-fade.... you can just see the original shade just under the FD clamp (had to move it to clear the new chainwheel).

Anyway, she wasn't saved or rebuilt to make money or because she was a 'classic', or rare (although they do seem to be, at least around here) or anything. I rebuilt her for ME, because I wanted to, because I wanted a decent, but not 'flash' general-purpose/commuter bike, and because I realised that she was too good to throw into a 'skip'.

And because she's an Apollo... :-) :-)

Mick.

EDIT: See the second pic for the next project, an Oct 1984 Apollo II (or IV, not sure). Unlike the 'Clipper' or the 'Delta', this one's been modded and ridden long and hard, and is thoroughly clapped out mechanically. Has some good alloy stuff hanging off it, details to follow.

Just for fun, I waved a cutting-polish-laden rag past the 'Red Hen'. Under all the crap, that paintwork positively sparkles!!

The Fixer

Postby The Fixer » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:22 pm

I was talking to a friend of my late brother today.

He was admiring the 'Clipper. I asked him if he still had his old bike.

I'd ridden it a few times in the late 1980s, but couldn't remember much about it.

'Oh, yes' he said. He'd been thinking of asking me to refurb it for him.

Couldn't remember what it was , so asked....

A 1980 Apollo III (?)...Virtually mint. Original owner since new!!!!

Negotiations are in progress.....
The Fixer

Postby Classiciron » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:02 pm

Apollo VI spec detail amendment.

SR Laprade seat post is actually 26.8mm.

Spokes in original wheels: Stainless doublebutted.

On the Apollo VI the resto is very near completion. Will post pictures once ready. Be warned, it is no longer badged as an Apollo so my apologies to any Apollo enthusaists who might me offended!
If there's something you can do about it, do it. If theres nothing you can do, don't worry.
Classiciron

Postby The Fixer » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:23 pm

Classiciron wrote:Apollo VI spec detail amendment.

SR Laprade seat post is actually 26.8mm.

Spokes in original wheels: Stainless doublebutted.

On the Apollo VI the resto is very near completion. Will post pictures once ready. Be warned, it is no longer badged as an Apollo so my apologies to any Apollo enthusaists who might me offended!

Offended? No. Looking forward to seeing...

I'd LOVE a nice original VI...

UPDATE: The 'Clipper' now has 50+km on her, and after compensating for the (23-year-old) brakes to bed in, and a tweak of the derailleurs, she's as good as new.
Literally.
Some of the riders who were competing in/near Goulburn NSW this weekend may have seen me. The trio near the railway underpass with the young lady as 'Tail-
end Charlie', that was me on the 'Clipper' on your left who waved, the old guy with the beard. Smiles and a wave, that's what it's all about.

Cheers, Mick.
The Fixer

Postby The Fixer » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:44 pm

Did a day's work at my volunteer 'job' today, just as I was packing-up, a gent arrives on an old roadie. Upon enquiring as to whether we accept
donated bikes, and receiving a reply in the affirmative, he proceeded to donate the old roadie, saying that he hoped it would go to a 'loving home'.

It did!

It's a June 1983 Apollo II (??)... it's set up as a tourer, and has been ridden hard but well-maintained.

I rode it home this afternoon. It is now in my collection.

Mick.

EDIT (second pic added): A Farce-book mate wanted this, so I thought I may as well share it here... the 'Apollo Six' basking in the afternoon sun.

Second and fourth from left are un-rebuilt and un-rideable, but the rest get ridden at least semi-regularly.

The Fixer

Postby Classiciron » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:38 pm

I have finally worked out how to place my photos on Photo bucket for the Apollo VI (good for me!) in it's original form.

http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/class ... pollo%20VI
If there's something you can do about it, do it. If theres nothing you can do, don't worry.
Classiciron

Postby Classiciron » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:44 pm

Classiciron

Postby Kermit TF » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:47 pm

Ron, was that the one on evilbay 2-3 weeks ago ?
When in doubt......mumble.
Kermit TF

Postby The Fixer » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:07 pm

Classiciron wrote:At least I hope I have...

http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/class ... pollo%20VI

Very nice.
The Fixer

Postby morini » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:15 am

That's the first time I've ever seen an Apollo VI. Very rare pretty bike. Where did you find it?

Chris
morini

Postby munga » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:34 am

nice one. are you going to match hubs and rims, or leave it as it is?
pitty43 wrote:Thanks all for your help. Better change my Gumtree add now.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/retroclassiccycling/
munga

Postby The Fixer » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:31 pm

That VI would look perfect parked next to my original-condition 1989 'Delta' (the first of
my Apollos, and dearly loved, although not getting ridden enough these days).

They almost look like twins...

The Fixer

PreviousNext

Return to Retro biking