Before and After Pics by all restorers

scratchman

Re: Before and After Pics by all restorers

Postby scratchman » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:06 am

here's my 1940 3 Star Oppy, as found on my brother in laws farm, missing the cyclo rear gear derailer, incorrect cranks,
wrong seat, incorrect rims all as a result of being lent to various people over the years, a couple of accidents too :roll:
Phil

scratchman

Postby scratchman » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:12 am

here we are now, we found the missing cyclo gear system in the shed!, I also bought a Raleigh just to get the correct wheels and cranks.
had the bars, seat post and Major Taylor stem renickelled, put on a Brooks saddle, I have since worked out the gear system so it actually
changed gears, and as with all my bikes, I have ridden it, although it's too small for me.
Finally, we took it back to the original owner ( he's 92 ) and showed him, he was very impressed :D
Phil

Stuey

Postby Stuey » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:36 am

That's great! I know nowt about that era. How many gears does it have, and is the chain meant to be slack? Also, I assume that's not just the result of cleaning the old paintwork. Or..is it?

mark field

Postby mark field » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:40 am

superb restoration Scratchman, was there a build thread for this or did i miss it? we would have loved to see its progress from day one. The original owner must have cried when he laid eyes on it :D
steel is the real deal.

scratchman

Postby scratchman » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:04 pm

Stuey wrote:That's great! I know nowt about that era. How many gears does it have, and is the chain meant to be slack? Also, I assume that's not just the result of cleaning the old paintwork. Or..is it?
3 gears, the bike wasn't set up when I took the pic ( got excited ) it's still a bit long, will have to remove a couple of links.
no, the original paint was almost all gone, it had a repair job on the down tube as a result of an accident, so we had it
sandblasted and complete new paint as done by John at Rode Runner who lives in my street!
Phil

scratchman

Postby scratchman » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:07 pm

mark field wrote:superb restoration Scratchman, was there a build thread for this or did i miss it? we would have loved to see its progress from day one. The original owner must have cried when he laid eyes on it :D
no build thread, it just took off after we decided how to actually go about it, did a lot of travelling buying parts and bikes ( for parts )
the original owner Allan was impressed that we got the colours correct, he thought it was 8)
Phil

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:15 pm

scratchman wrote:here we are now, we found the missing cyclo gear system in the shed!, I also bought a Raleigh just to get the correct wheels and cranks.
had the bars, seat post and Major Taylor stem renickelled, put on a Brooks saddle, I have since worked out the gear system so it actually
changed gears, and as with all my bikes, I have ridden it, although it's too small for me.
Finally, we took it back to the original owner ( he's 92 ) and showed him, he was very impressed :D
So very nice. The original owner must of been a fair rider in his day, was he a pro? I'm pretty sure amateurs where still forced to race fixed gears.

It must of been expensive new?

scratchman

Postby scratchman » Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:17 pm

singlespeedscott wrote: So very nice. The original owner must of been a fair rider in his day, was he a pro? I'm pretty sure amateurs where still forced to race fixed gears.
It must of been expensive new?
scott, that's the strange thing, he bought it from a bike shop in Footscray, never raced it, cost the equivalent of 3 weeks adult wages.
Phil

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:21 pm

Amazing. Surprising it's condition got so bad then.

grantw

Postby grantw » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:16 pm

Great work!

martin.grace

Postby martin.grace » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:22 pm

scratchman wrote:here we are now, we found the missing cyclo gear system in the shed!, I also bought a Raleigh just to get the correct wheels and cranks.
Hi there, are they 27 x 1 1/4 rims. If they are then where did you get the white walls from. I am restoring my dads 1950s race bike and I am looking for some. Regards martin

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:00 pm

Spectacular work scratchman, she's gorgeous.

Martin.grace, you can get those white walls on ebay, usually Duro/Innova/CST brand (probably all made in the same factory). Very cheap but they're all i use on my 27" bikes, they grip and roll well and are almost impossible to puncture IME.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:51 am

For a little better quality buy yourself some Panracer Pasela's in 27"

diventare

Postby diventare » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:04 am

Restoration of Cannondale F600 frame and build up as a commuter..

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:41 am

singlespeedscott wrote:For a little better quality buy yourself some Panracer Pasela's in 27"
Or don't and spend the difference on a chateau in the Alps to base yourself in when you fly your private Concorde over there for a casual few weeks of hill training :lol: .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Typhoon Ken

Postby Typhoon Ken » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:26 am

Nice work on the Cannondale Driven

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:37 am

ldrcycles wrote: Or don't and spend the difference on a chateau in the Alps to base yourself in when you fly your private Concorde over there for a casual few weeks of hill training :lol: .
Panaracer Pasela gumwalls:
I ordered 4 last year shipped from the USA ($US22.25 ea and $AUD17.47 shipping= $AUD107.86 total) so $AUD27 each.
The sell price is now lower :shock:

and we know about tyre issues on our Concordes
unfortunately, the After photo

mark field

Postby mark field » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:02 pm

Typhoon Ken wrote:Nice work on the Cannondale Driven

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

2nd that. id like to know how easy it was to remove the paint and how the bare frame was treated. it looks like new.
steel is the real deal.

diventare

Postby diventare » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:53 pm

Thanks, the paint was removed using paint stripper as a starting point, this "opened up" the paint and left some of it peeling and some of it still fixed. After that it was a matter of washing it down and several hours of wire brush and 350grit wet and dry using plenty of water all the time.
The forks went back to bare alloy pretty painlessly, providing the motivation to keep going on the frame. Got there in the end and the result is in the second pic, then a rub with really fine wet and dry (1500) and again plenty of water.
Next step was to polish with autosol, and then on completion of that clean the frame up with some wax and grease remover (available from car accessory retailers). Apply the stickers and finally coat with clear top acrylic, 3 coats.

KGB

Re: Non-destructive ways of removing a crank? (tried puller)

Postby KGB » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:18 pm

Very nice! Where did you get the new decals?

grantw

Postby grantw » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:16 pm

Great work on the frame Driven, makes you wonder why cannondale painted them in the first place!

diventare

Postby diventare » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:08 pm

Yes, I love that raw aluminium look and agree.
Stickers came from ebay (search for Connondale decal). Lost touch with exactly who but was pleasantly surprised by the quality.

mark field

Postby mark field » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:17 pm

diventare wrote:Yes, I love that raw aluminium look and agree.
Stickers came from ebay (search for Connondale decal). Lost touch with exactly who but was pleasantly surprised by the quality.
no matter how good they are- metalic silver paints just cant quite get the look as sweet as raw metal painted with clear.
steel is the real deal.

mark field

Postby mark field » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:29 am

bump. there seems to be more builds happening lately- so lets see the pics !!
steel is the real deal.

munga

Postby munga » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:41 pm

more build than restoration: