Viscount bikes

jonbays

Re: Viscount bikes

Postby jonbays » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:14 pm

Just in case one of you Lambert or Viscount tragic's need a spare front wheel I found a very good nick Lambert front wheel in my shed the other day while cleaning up. I couldn't bear to just chuck it like the other old stuff I had been hoarding as for it's day this was an advanced wheel set the first I ever had with sealed bearings for sure.

It's a real one! Lambert branded ( -LAMBERT-) alloy hub with the sealed bearings and Birmetals England BIRMALUX alloy rim. Spokes are rusty but the rim is true and with a bit of polishing and a set of new spokes would be very nice on an old Lambert if you have one.

As I said earlier in the thread I had a Lambert ages ago and they were very good quite advanced bikes in lots of interesting ways.

Anyone with a Lambert or Viscount who wants a spare wheel pm me. This isn't going on ebay and I am not selling it and will gift it to someone who will get good use from it.

Cusqueno

Postby Cusqueno » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:13 pm

ldrcycles wrote:I just got a Viscount set from H Lloyd Cycles in the UK, they didn't have the Sebring decal that goes on the top tube, and the one that was on it was too damaged to just take a photo and get it made. I mean it's lugged and has a threaded BB so everyone will know it's a Sebring anyway :) .
Hi. I have some original Sebring decals looking for a home. I could send some for the cost of the air mail (I'm in the UK). Probably best if someone PMs me one address to send to and then you can send them around. I gather it'll take 24 hours for this, my first posting on BNA, to be moderated and appear. By that time I should be able to put some pictures on Flickr and post them.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:27 pm

Too late on 2 counts, I got a set from another member a month or 2 back, and I sold the Sebring this morning :( . Sad to see it go but it didn't quite fit me, and the nice pommy bloke who bought it used to have a Hobbs of Barbican so it's definitely gone to a good home :) .

Thanks for the offer in any case, i'm sure someone else here will take you up on it, there's not many of those decals left.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Cusqueno

Postby Cusqueno » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:36 pm

Cusqueno wrote:Hi. I have some original Sebring decals looking for a home. I could send some for the cost of the air mail (I'm in the UK). Probably best if someone PMs me one address to send to and then you can send them around. I gather it'll take 24 hours for this, my first posting on BNA, to be moderated and appear. By that time I should be able to put some pictures on Flickr and post them.

See

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30978287@N03/10037615356

(why can't I get this to appear as an image? Is it a Flickr thing?)

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:25 am

Cusqueno wrote: http://www.flickr.com/photos/30978287@N03/10037615356

cycles gitane
Location: Near the Dandenong Creek cycle trail, Eastern Melbourne

Postby cycles gitane » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:54 pm

Cusqueno wrote: See

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30978287@N03/10037615356

10 posts are required before users can post images.

cycles gitane
There is NO room in the shed for the next bike! New shed rqd.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:00 pm

cycles gitane wrote:
Cusqueno wrote: 10 posts are required before users can post images.
cycles gitane
I don't think it applies
see The Fixers first post today, it has a photo in it!
I suspect it was the file link, the one listed takes you to the page, The one I used
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3778/1003 ... 504d24.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
was the image itself.

Jackinator_VA

Postby Jackinator_VA » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:56 am

Bendo wrote:
Jackinator_VA wrote:Hey Bendo, you seem to be quite knowledgeable about Viscounts. Today I found a 'foldable' one that I couldn't resist buying. Damn, it just looks so cool! I had no idea about these types of bikes until today and have been led to believe they are rare and valuable. If I post a few pics up (when I can) could you help me identify the bike properly. I saw a picture of your foldable Viscount, pretty sure it's identical to that one, and in rideable condition as well. Let us know
Hey Jack, post em up, I'd love to see! The main thing that will identify if it's a Viscount folder is the folding mechanism (I'm assuming that all the decals are missing).

If you've got less that 10 posts you won't be able to host the pics on this forum. But if you've got them hosted somewhere else on the web like Picasa, just get them embed code (something ending in .jpg) and then put around it. b
Sorry that this is so late! I haven't uploaded the pictures on any other websites. However, in the meantime, I've cleaned it up and listed it on Ebay, so there are a few pictures of it there. Here's the link: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Red-vintage- ... 1354435178" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (It's not listed, so i'm not trying to promote it here, just an easy way to show the pics)

Bendo

Postby Bendo » Fri May 09, 2014 9:34 am

Only just popped back in to the forum and saw this. Really lovely Spacemaster Jackinator! Very original by the looks, very much like mine. The chrome has cleaned up really well. Why sell? They're so good for tootling down to the shops. And the Pletscher rattrap rack is amazingly versatile.

b

Rubbers

Postby Rubbers » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:06 pm

I've had an Aerospace pro since 1977, bought new from Sun City Cycles in Townsville. It and a PX10 LE got me back into cycling in a big way. The Viscount is a bit like grandpa's axe. The first major failure was the Crane rear deurallier which disintegrated into the wheel, tearing the cassette side dropout from the frame. A couple of rebuilds and squillions of miles later via Darwin and now Canberra, it's now very Brit with BRG powdercoated frame, tan coloured Brooks leather everywhere and polished alloy. Largely Suntour Superbe Pro bits - brakes, cranks attached to a Klein spindle rolling in press fit sealed bearings, Superbe Pro chainwheels and pedals, front and rear deuralliers, levers and hubs. Original stem. I run Vitus alloy forks which are designed for 700 rims but 27" clinchers on Araya 1" rims just fit with a shallow drop front brake. I still have the original series three alloy fork which, when installed, I used to get magnafluxed to check for potential catastrophes. All up still a lovely whippy bit of kit.
It shares space with a timewarp Carlton Cobra ten speed ... the chrome frame just needed a bit of steel wool to bring it back up. White Carlton brake hoods, Weinmann centre pulls and Huret shifters. On the lookout for a set of period 36 hole alloy 27s to replace the steel Rigidas on Normandy high flange hubs.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:19 pm

Rubbers wrote:On the lookout for a set of period 36 hole alloy 27s to replace the steel Rigidas on Normandy high flange hubs.
If you're ok with using new parts, Sun CR18 rims are available in 27" and look good. I've had a set laced to Novatech hubs for a couple of years and they're bulletproof.

drubie

Postby drubie » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:50 am

Viscount tear down. Lots of rust in the bottom bracket I think rather sadly it shouldn't be ridden in anger. I will know more once the surface rust is gone.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Not a single usable part on it other than the stem looks like somebody tried and failed to rebuild it with some very nasty 80s components (cherry brakes, tracer crank, suntour stem shifters).
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

drubie

Postby drubie » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:10 pm

Axle threads were so munged I took some advice from a local bearing supply and retapped to 5/16 unf. New bearings $5 each. Stronglight chainset should be the ISO taper of the axle but it's pretty tight. A tiny bit of filing and it's on.

I have a mismatched shimano 600 set going on, albeit with diacompe centre pulls and a nondescript headset. Should probably buy a new one but the rat rod look would be spoiled.

The bb is smooth!
ImageImageImage
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

St Laurent

Postby St Laurent » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:47 am

I purchased my Viscount Sebring new in about 1976 or 1977. Aside from the very odd ride down to the shops, it's really only been ridden during two of the past 40 years. The first in ~1997 when I purchased the bike and then in the mid 1990s when I commuted to work. Aside from that, it's spent its life in the garage or shed. I replaced the chain and sprockets (maybe just the rear cluster?) for the season I rode it in the mid-1990s but aside from that, it's original. I was interested and reassured to confirm with the help of this forum that my Sebring has the steel forks! I'm moving to an apartment in 2017 so am going to have to put sentiment aside and let it go so am trying to sell on Gumtree at the moment but don't really know what price to put on it. Grateful if someone could tell me roughly how much I should be asking for it. Thanks.

flying dragon

Postby flying dragon » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:45 pm

Copied from "You Beauty...!" to here:
flying dragon wrote:I picked up this English made 5 speed Viscount 'Aerospace Victor' from the local recyclers on Friday. Great name, completely unblemished red finish and Bluemel guards, alloy 5 pin crankset, and surprisingly light. The specs say this weighs in at just under 11kg for this straight gauge chromo frame which feels about right. I'll give it a longer stem and think about what to do with the wheels (currently 27" steel). I tried some 700 x 38's but they wouldn't fit under the mudguards. I'll probably just wack on some alloy 27" x 1 1/4" on and call it a day as it'd be nice to retain the Bluemels. Maybe I should keep the 1st gen dual cable positron derailleur for now... it's not hurting anyone :)
I haven't done anything with this yet, but I did dig out a longer 70's Sturmey Archer stem to swap in.

flying dragon

Postby flying dragon » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:34 pm

If this is a keeper I might have to resign myself to either no mudguards or play with a 700c tyre/rim combo. I couldn't fit a set of Michelin 27 x 1 1/4" protek tyres under the Bluemels. This is what I have at hand & I'm currently in a $building fund drought, so can only play swap the parts with what's in my stash. Maybe the alloy Araya rims are just a tad larger than the OG steelies? I can't see anything in it - I'm left with about 2 mm play each side of the tyre at the BB/chain stays. I get frustrated with working out the quirks of vintage, but I do enjoy riding them :). Fortunately this bike is in great condition and very light for mid-late 70's; I'm going to ride it for a bit and see if it's a good fit for me.

flying dragon

Postby flying dragon » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:25 am

Dagnabbit it's too big for me :( ... bits shouldn't touch the top tube, or rather, I'd prefer they didn't. The Michelin City Proteks are 5mm wider and sit 10mm higher compared to the original steel and tyre. Part of the height is in the deeper rim of the Araya alloys that I didn't really account for - shoulda twigged when it was so hard to get the tyres on the rims. I think the Michelins will sit better in the original steel rims and hopefully I can refit the Bluemels. I'll clean this up a bit and sell it. Pity as it's a nice ride and a lovely shade of red.

bowie

Postby bowie » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:57 pm

Oh goodness how did I miss this thread!

I have an aerospace dressed with Suntour Cyclone stuff, Mavic wheels, Mafac brakes, it's been a hoot.

I've just got a carbon fork, stem and bars to play with so I'll be interested if it ruins it or not.

Pictures to come.
b is for bicycle :D

bowie

Postby bowie » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:06 pm

Yaaaa Viscount as she sits before I play with the new forks.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cffmXNAMqUbVG9Qd6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/oF6CENyqorgb83rf8

I'm surprised at how good these brakes are. And adjusters in the hoods. Brilliant

bowie

Postby bowie » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:31 pm

Aaaaaaaaaand of course the carbon forks I bought are waaaaay to thick. Well I'm about ~3mm off. Whoops.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:57 pm

Nice, a bit of autosol would have those Mafacs looking good too.

bowie

Postby bowie » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:47 pm

Ah it was well and due for a bath at that stage.. dodadodado..

I'm bummed that fork didn't fit. Mostly because when taking the headset apart I sent ball bearings everywhere... I couldn't tell you why I didn't use a cage bearing in the top, what the bet I tried looking for one but it was a stupid size. Oh well, to the bearing shop.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:05 pm

bowie wrote:Ah it was well and due for a bath at that stage.. dodadodado..

I'm bummed that fork didn't fit. Mostly because when taking the headset apart I sent ball bearings everywhere... I couldn't tell you why I didn't use a cage bearing in the top, what the bet I tried looking for one but it was a stupid size. Oh well, to the bearing shop.
Loose bearing headsets are one of my pet hates, no matter how careful I am there's always got to be at least one missing!