Peugeot Appreciation Society

Bunged Knee

Re: Peugeot Appreciation Society

Postby Bunged Knee » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:13 pm

iridiumflare wrote:Hello All,

I am hoping that some of the enthusiasts who may still be active in this forum can point me in the right direction as to the year model of my Peugeot Cadet? I have tried google with not much luck. This one has an "Imported by Peugeot Cycles, Moorabbin" sticker on it on the base of the seat tube.

Thanks in advance.

Jace

Use Full Image BBCode to copy and paste, then you`d get this pic.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

iridiumflare

Postby iridiumflare » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:45 pm

Cheers mate, fixed it up.

Thanks again.

Jace

frog

Postby frog » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:23 pm

Gotta catch 'em all!

ImagePeugeot MTB by tyro.chris, on Flickr

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:39 pm

frog wrote:Gotta catch 'em all!

ImagePeugeot MTB by tyro.chris, on Flickr
Cool bikes, love those 80s-90s colour schemes..
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

frog

Postby frog » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:04 am

Slowly getting there with this thing.

ImagePeugeot by tyro.chris, on Flickr

ImagePeugeot by tyro.chris, on Flickr

Bendo

Re: Peugeot Appreciation Society - SF10

Postby Bendo » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:31 pm

Recently bought this for my daughter. It was a little rusty but very complete. Says "made in Australia". Those were the days!

Image[/url]Peugeot SF10 by nanseikan kendo, on Flickr[/img]

But it had two issues: the rear light was broken and the gearing was massive (52-42 and about 19 or 21t on the back). I couldn't change the freewheel because French threaded Maillard and the crankset was a one piece jobbie. I racked my brains for quite a bit on this one.

Interestingly the Normandy rear hub is a flip-flop hub, with a British thread on the other side. But it would mean re-dishing a wheel that's got lots of old steel spokes and a likely single-wall rim. Not worth it since the whole bike cost me $80 to start with.

ImagePeugeot SF10 by nanseikan kendo, on Flickr[/img]

Eventually I found an excellent Shimano touring triple, not quite period correct but it meant I could put a chain-guard on the big ring and still had a 39t and 28t on the front: excellent for my 'hood which has some pretty mega hills. I had been running a 'spare' TA Pro 5 vis triple with vintage lightweight Lyotard touring pedals. These were more period correct but massively overspec. The TA crankset alone was probably worth three of these bikes! They ahve gone back into my "very special parts vault"!

ImagePeugeot SF10 by nanseikan kendo, on Flickr

A clean and polish did wonders. Also, I had some excellent Weinmann city levers (v hard to come by now) to replace the terrible plastic Mafac levers that were crumbling off the bike. The Shimano front hub (non original I think) came up a treat as well. I just love high flange hubs!

ImagePeugeot SF10 by nanseikan kendo, on Flickr

Finally, I found a similar Peugeot mixte on gumtree that had been underwater for the last 20 years, but it had a complete rear light. Sure enough, with the globe inserted and the lens back on, it all worked perfectly! I'm still irrationally happy about this! I have another bike, a tourer with Son 28 dynamo hub and a Schmidt Edelux headlight, so I was expecting the output to be pitiful. But I was quite amazed how bright both the head and tail lights are. More than bright enough to show up in modern traffic. And there are conversion kits to replace the globes in these old systems with LEDs that will still work with the 3V bottle dynamos. So the future looks bright for this bike! hurhur! :D

frog

Postby frog » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:12 am

That Mixte looks great Bendo

I'm currently trying to work out what I'm going to do about lights / dynamo for this project:

stevenaaus

Postby stevenaaus » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:45 pm

Geez, that looks nice.

But dynamos are just too nasty imho ... just reduce rideability too much. If you need a light , go leccie.

ricsmith63

Postby ricsmith63 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:58 pm

I wondered if someone could advise me what model they think my bike is and approx year of manufacture
I bought the bike in 1981 and took in touring up the coast from melbourne, to Eden, up Brown Mountain across to Canberra, Mt Kosiosko and then back to Melbourne.

the bike had been imported some years earlier from France to Melbourne by the family I bought it from who had imigrated from France.

Actually I am struggling with the site to insert a picture .. can anyone help!!

uart

Postby uart » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:31 pm

ricsmith63 wrote: Actually I am struggling with the site to insert a picture .. can anyone help!!
http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... =23&t=1349

luca.calvanese

Postby luca.calvanese » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:58 pm

Hi,

Would anyone be able to tell me what model is this? I think is a PY10..

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:54 pm

I'd be inclined toward this being a mid-70s U-08 but more pics would help.

DOHC

Postby DOHC » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:36 am

Yep 70's looks about right......

frog

Postby frog » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:42 am

Almost finished the PR10 conversion:

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:52 pm

very nice..650s? Cool tyre choice as well btw.

frog

Postby frog » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:23 pm

Thanks and yep it’s a 650b conversion, made possible by Mafac Raid brakes, tyres are nice and supple.

Halfamillion

Postby Halfamillion » Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:00 pm

https://www.dropbox.com/h?preview=Pic_1209_013.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/preview/DSC0301 ... e=personal
https://www.dropbox.com/preview/DSC0301 ... e=personal

Ref: Original Brochure- http://www.peugeotshow.com/1980nl/1980nl_28.jpg
S/N #"5161949 PBN10 60", rear drop out #"T87299"

I found this as a Peugeot wreak at the local markets for $40 and suspected it could be a classic P10 due to the chrome fork. It is a Peugeot PBN10 60cm Tube Special Carbolite 103 frame built in 1980 and sold just north of Amsterdam (original dealer decal still visible). It was basically a shed find and seems to have been a daily ride in Europe many years ago, as all accessories, lock, tires, tubes patch kit were European/Dutch. There was no evidence of it being used in Australia. It is a British I.S.O. Thread system which saved it from the trash. I completely stripped it. Kept the Peugeot alloy Cranks, Simplex derailleurs and side pull Weinman brake calipers (rebuilt but replaced). Derailleurs were either front jammed and rear worn maybe beyond use, need new Jockey Wheels mainly. Oh, I also still have the original seat which is in good condition but not a fit for me. The Tires were Vredestein 700 x 19mm cotton but degraded to cloth. It was in serious poor condition and had been shed bound for many years. After reducing the bike to components and inspection, I decided a budget build with what remained was the wisest course. The Tube Special Peugeot 103 frame is very strong and a lesser Hi tensile frame would have folded with the force required to removed the bottom bracket. The drive train is now Sunrace derailleurs (was Shimano SIS & Tourney for a while - worked well but didn't look race kit), Sunrace 53-39T crankset with Shimano sealed bottom bracket. The chain is Izumi 7 speed to match the Shimano 7 speed free wheel on the Campagnola hub (OLD 130mm?). I kept both hubs but fitted SKF #20 bearings and after market Chrome-molly axle kits. Front hub is original French Atom brand DOM (P 46 79) and rear had previously been changed to a Campagnola freewheel track type hub. The wheels now have new French Mark1 spokes and 23mm tires soon to be Michelin Competition 25mm. The brake calipers are now Athena. All the front end had previously been replaced e.g. steel handle bars, short stem,chrome Tange replacement fork fitted, but now is upgraded to a mono crown new Chrome-molly type fork, new head set, alloy handle bars and stem. Only the PBN10 main frame, Rigida 13mm rims, Atom & Campag hub shells and Mafac brake levers, Simplex Model Depose gear levers (semi plastic) and seat post & clamp are remaining. Surprisingly, this Peugeot is a very lively fast ride even after 40 years and still 10.9 kg total, original weight.
Last edited by Halfamillion on Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:28 pm, edited 16 times in total.
Peugeot PBN10, Cell Victor 2, Graycross Special 27", Merida Mission 2000, Trek 4900, Cell Stinger.

uart

Postby uart » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:54 am

Hi Halfamillion. The image is not available for others to view. It may be that the share settings are incorrect.

Halfamillion

Postby Halfamillion » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:31 pm

Ref: Peugeot PBN10 60cm (1980) Resurrection.
OK, I've added Australian Bicycle Forums email as another share setting. Hope it works!
P.S. I just saw a nice Peugeot CFX10 20" for sale on Gum tree (not my size). My quest for a ride on the PY10 is still possible? I bought the PBN10 thinking it may have been a PY10 due to the all chrome front fork but it was a Tange replacement. I will take an up to date photo of the PBN10 when I fit the new 25mm tires and attach.
Peugeot PBN10, Cell Victor 2, Graycross Special 27", Merida Mission 2000, Trek 4900, Cell Stinger.

bog1953

Postby bog1953 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:23 pm

I bought a Peugeot bike for my wife 4 years ago, cleaned it, and she rode it once. For weeks she has pestered to get it ready so she could use it again. Well it's been a week now, sitting all by itself unused. Go figure. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

Dreams V Reallity

Postby Dreams V Reallity » Thu May 07, 2020 9:51 am

Frog, I won't say I'm jealous (don't like telling fibs), but you really have made me regret selling my 1978 Gents Tourer. :(
D V R
Still Dreaming.

frog

Postby frog » Fri May 08, 2020 9:41 pm

Dreams V Reallity wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 9:51 am
Frog, I won't say I'm jealous (don't like telling fibs), but you really have made me regret selling my 1978 Gents Tourer. :(
I wish i could bring my self to sell some of these Pugs but I just can't.
Now I've ended up with a wall of projects..

Brisbotica

Postby Brisbotica » Wed May 20, 2020 5:02 pm

koen wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:43 pm
Just thought I'd post this here as well in case someone in future is looking for info.

I had the pleasure of talking to Mick Wilkinson about Peugeots today (March 2012) and got some of the story. He knows such a lot of history on the Australian bicycle industry and in particular Qld. Where to start?
A chap at Renault cars approached French Peugeot to sell Peugeot cycles in Australia. That was in the early 1970’s beginning out of Melbourne. The sales grew and the business was called Cycles Australia which, down the track, Mick ended up managing as the sales and manufacturing in Qld had grown by that time, other factors shifting the focus from Melbourne. Cycles Australia also made the Madison bikes and Goanna mtb’s very early in mtb history (mid ‘70s!) If you bought a 504 car you would find a Peugeot fold up in the back so they sold a lot of the fold ups too.
Something I didn’t know was that all the ‘early’ French made Peugeots were completely assembled in Australia from all the French parts. Importing complete bikes attracted an even more hefty tariff. I bought my UO-8 new from Annand&Thompson ,a car dealer in Brisbane, in 1975 for $196. This was a lot more than a Repco or Malvern Star ….which were about $120 from memory…but Euro prestige has always been worth something I ‘spose. Plus the mudguards still aren’t rusty.

About 1976?? Cycles Australia wanted to start using Japanese components and Australian made frames. French Peugeot required them to send a sample of the three models they would make to France first for approval. That was okayed so they built Australian Peugeots with Suntour components from then and put the Peugeot stickers on ‘em!
Eventually Taiwan made everything cheap and the bike industry everywhere changed forever.
Mick Wilkinson was in Balmoral Amateur Wheelers when I first met him but has since been a long serving and now Life Member of Hamilton Cycling Club.
Cheers all, Owen
Thanks! I have just purchased a 1977 Peugeot mixte SF10 that was built in Australia.

I couldn't wait any longer to ride it so I took it to the shop to get it tidied up and going. In time I would like to keep polishing, figure out how to put the original lights back on and then rechrome the forks. First priority is a new saddle.
Original: Image
Ride day 1: Image

Halfamillion

Postby Halfamillion » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:09 pm

Hi! I been happily riding my Peugeot PBN10 during Covid-19 and worn out another chain and set of tires (e.g many Kms around the Nepean River and Regatta Centre). A friend told me and showed two photos of Peugeot framesets he has in the shed. I have identified them as Peugeot PX50 Randonneurs 58cm, one has chrome forks tips, both same green, decals are the same and match 1977 brochure. Bottom Bracket details are as follows:
1. RY A5 Serial #1811027 (Note 7 digits, 1970s?)
2. RY D5 Serial#194660 (Note six digits, maybe 1960s???)
They both have some surface rust and paint damage but generally look recoverable.

I've been thinking why someone would have two near identical PX50 frames dated from the 1970's. I can only think these may have been ridden in Europe and returned to Australia as Frame & Fork only to avoid import tariffs? This maybe a way of transporting a Trekking bicycle to and from Australia while avoiding the Tariffs then applied. I'm still to get a hands on look and check threads etc to assess rebuild options? Any expert advice on this model would be appreciated.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:00 pm

From other posts folk may know I have been looking for the 'Cinderella' bike to keep at my place of work as a ride around town bike.
Well, on Sunday my good friend Matt walked into my place toting this Peugeot 'Aubisque' found in the local roadside hard rubbish.
It was really dirty and various bits were missing but on investigation (and a good wash) it came to me that this would be a prime candidate for the 'work bike' role. It had a full Exage six-speed groupset which was a nice in it's day which I think was circa 1990.
Main item to go were the forks which had a stuffed dropout. They were crappy Peugeot 'fold and weld' forks so no loss there. I subbed in a pair of Tange forks from the spare box. The frame is Peugeot HLE tubing which is quite nice stuff once you got rid of the boat anchor iron forks. The wheels were put to one side for later disassembly and a spare pair of Rigida alloys on Suzue low flange hubs from the shed swapped in with a 12-28 6 speed block. Also the damaged Biopace steel chainrings were replaced by an alloy 52/39 pair. All this swapping of parts knocked a heap of weight off the bike!
Both derailleurs were corroded beyond help so an old Suntour Edge went on the front and a Shimano RX100 on the back. Exage gear levers, brake levers and brakes were fine after a clean so they went back on - except as this was going to be a town bike I put an Rx100 twin pivot on the front so it stops... The bars and stem had vanished before Matt got there, as had the saddle, so they all had to be replaced from the bits bin. Thankfully they left the 24mm seat post which are like hens teeth....

So, after an afternoon's cleaning, assembly work and fitting up with cables, cage and bar tape we ended up with this....

I am really pleased with this as it hits the mark by looking a bit shabby and not eye catching to the plebs but being very nice to ride. Also cost basically nothing as all the bits came out of the spare parts bin. Weight came in at 10.5 kg fully built, which is pretty good for 1990-ish steel. It rides well, feels very similar to my Columbus Aelle framed McLachlan from the same period.

No more excuses not to ride at lunchtime....

Richard