Peugeot Appreciation Society

Bunged Knee

Re: Peugeot Appreciation Society

Postby Bunged Knee » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:13 pm

iridiumflare wrote:Hello All,

I am hoping that some of the enthusiasts who may still be active in this forum can point me in the right direction as to the year model of my Peugeot Cadet? I have tried google with not much luck. This one has an "Imported by Peugeot Cycles, Moorabbin" sticker on it on the base of the seat tube.

Thanks in advance.

Jace

Use Full Image BBCode to copy and paste, then you`d get this pic.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

iridiumflare

Postby iridiumflare » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:45 pm

Cheers mate, fixed it up.

Thanks again.

Jace

frog

Postby frog » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:23 pm

Gotta catch 'em all!

ImagePeugeot MTB by tyro.chris, on Flickr

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:39 pm

frog wrote:Gotta catch 'em all!

ImagePeugeot MTB by tyro.chris, on Flickr

Cool bikes, love those 80s-90s colour schemes..
Mmm, SunTour

frog

Postby frog » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:04 am

Slowly getting there with this thing.

ImagePeugeot by tyro.chris, on Flickr

ImagePeugeot by tyro.chris, on Flickr

Bendo

Re: Peugeot Appreciation Society - SF10

Postby Bendo » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:31 pm

Recently bought this for my daughter. It was a little rusty but very complete. Says "made in Australia". Those were the days!

Image[/url]Peugeot SF10 by nanseikan kendo, on Flickr[/img]

But it had two issues: the rear light was broken and the gearing was massive (52-42 and about 19 or 21t on the back). I couldn't change the freewheel because French threaded Maillard and the crankset was a one piece jobbie. I racked my brains for quite a bit on this one.

Interestingly the Normandy rear hub is a flip-flop hub, with a British thread on the other side. But it would mean re-dishing a wheel that's got lots of old steel spokes and a likely single-wall rim. Not worth it since the whole bike cost me $80 to start with.

ImagePeugeot SF10 by nanseikan kendo, on Flickr[/img]

Eventually I found an excellent Shimano touring triple, not quite period correct but it meant I could put a chain-guard on the big ring and still had a 39t and 28t on the front: excellent for my 'hood which has some pretty mega hills. I had been running a 'spare' TA Pro 5 vis triple with vintage lightweight Lyotard touring pedals. These were more period correct but massively overspec. The TA crankset alone was probably worth three of these bikes! They ahve gone back into my "very special parts vault"!

ImagePeugeot SF10 by nanseikan kendo, on Flickr

A clean and polish did wonders. Also, I had some excellent Weinmann city levers (v hard to come by now) to replace the terrible plastic Mafac levers that were crumbling off the bike. The Shimano front hub (non original I think) came up a treat as well. I just love high flange hubs!

ImagePeugeot SF10 by nanseikan kendo, on Flickr

Finally, I found a similar Peugeot mixte on gumtree that had been underwater for the last 20 years, but it had a complete rear light. Sure enough, with the globe inserted and the lens back on, it all worked perfectly! I'm still irrationally happy about this! I have another bike, a tourer with Son 28 dynamo hub and a Schmidt Edelux headlight, so I was expecting the output to be pitiful. But I was quite amazed how bright both the head and tail lights are. More than bright enough to show up in modern traffic. And there are conversion kits to replace the globes in these old systems with LEDs that will still work with the 3V bottle dynamos. So the future looks bright for this bike! hurhur! :D