Peugeot Appreciation Society

Lots of steel bikes

Re: Peugeot Appreciation Society

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:00 pm

Dreams V Reallity wrote:Some lovely pieces of machinery here. Gorgeous restorations and re-builds.
Only saw one that resembled my mid-70's '10 spd Gents Tourer'. Sigh, the memorys of carefree teenage years.
That white one outside the shop for (overpriced) $200, is it still there? (I know, not likely).
Long gone.

PeasMan

Postby PeasMan » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:32 pm

Some sweet rides on this thread, and after looking too long I couldn't resist the lure of the Peugeot. Found this Izoard on Gumtree, which is about one black turbo saddle and some black brake hoods away from looking how I want.

As much as I love the bike, the size of my gut is distinctly incompatible with the 42x23 lowest gearing, I need a compact crank.

It seems it's easier to find an Octalink than a square taper crank. Am I correct in assuming all will be good if I get an english threaded Octalink BB to install with the new crank?

Is there an easy way to determine if I need a 113, 118 or 121mm axle length for my bottom bracket?

Thankyou!

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:40 am

PeasMan wrote:Some sweet rides on this thread, and after looking too long I couldn't resist the lure of the Peugeot. Found this Izoard on Gumtree, which is about one black turbo saddle and some black brake hoods away from looking how I want.

As much as I love the bike, the size of my gut is distinctly incompatible with the 42x23 lowest gearing, I need a compact crank.

It seems it's easier to find an Octalink than a square taper crank. Am I correct in assuming all will be good if I get an english threaded Octalink BB to install with the new crank?

Is there an easy way to determine if I need a 113, 118 or 121mm axle length for my bottom bracket?

Thankyou!

Late responce but it would be a lot easier and cheaper to replace the freewheel/cassette with a new one with a larger range of cogs. the good old 14x28 or 13x28 will give you more than enough for most riding

frog

Postby frog » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:46 am

I'm down to a 4 Peugeot household now.. and only two are riders.

Having lots of fun on this though
Image1990 Peugeot Hurricane by tyro.chris, on Flickr

JJC-BMC

Postby JJC-BMC » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:47 pm

Hi all,

Trying to find some info on a 1979 Peugeot LT 10?
Anything appreciated.

Thanks
2015 BMC SLR02 Team Machine Ultegra

DrShifty

Postby DrShifty » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:16 pm

Hi Folks,
this is my first post here, I've been out of cycling for yonks but am getting the old bikes out of the shed.
Thought you might like to see this old Peugeot Mixte. I bought this in 1980 for my wife who had never had a bike as a kid. We'd just moved to Canberra and all those bike paths were going to waste.
The bike is still in good nick but needs some metal polish here and there. My wife died a little over a year ago and I'm having to decide what to do with myself and lots of other things like this bike.
When we moved to Canberra we had a new baby and she found a wicker baby seat somewhere. It's like a character in a Miss Marple mystery would ride around the village with.
How does the world look at these old bikes these days? Is it a keeper or worth nothing?

elfoam

Postby elfoam » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:24 pm

Sorry to here about the loss of your wife, that's really tough. For me Mixtes are the best looking of all bike frames especially the fancy curved frame ones. I guess if you don't mine keeping it ride it around? they are a unisex bike and many came standard with drop bars etc I mean you can do amazing things with Mixtes, have a look on pinterest. https://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/? ... ie%7Ctyped" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

P.S certainly worth something, it's in very above average condition and many hipster girls in Melbourne would love it. They aren't worth huge amount of money but much more than nothing. But if you fit on it you could ride it around, depends how you feel I guess. The baby wasn't a girl who's the right size now?

Ferrovelo

Postby Ferrovelo » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:06 pm

Another Mixte fan here. It's a matter of taste I guess, but I really like that style of bike and I think there are plenty of others out there too. I restored one in far worse condition than yours for my mum and she loves it. However yours looks to be in good original condition to keep as is if you want to.
Here is the one I fixed up. viewtopic.php?f=23&t=58867" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DrShifty

Postby DrShifty » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:26 pm

Hi elfoam, Ferrovelo,
thanks for the info. This is the only mixte I've ever seen on the road. My wife loved everything about it, especially telling people that I'd bought her a Peugeot, five speed, no roof ,,, etc. I found the sprung seat funny but learned very early not to say so. :)

The baby back then was a boy who's last bike I bought for him at 16 and was stolen a few years later from his flat and never replaced. I can't see him riding this one around, he's too lazy to get out of the car.

Thanks for the pinterest links. I've now gone looking for other mixtes but it seems they are pretty popular around the world but not here in Newcastle. One pic had fat wheels, which is giving me a bit of an idea about what to do with this one.

My own bike is a lightweight custom made tourer I had built in 1973. Very lean with good spec stuff for its day (Stronglight cranks, TA rings etc) and the metal tubing rings like a wineglass when I flick it with a fingernail. It feels almost alive to ride it. However, I've not ridden anything with less than 650cc of internal combustion assistance for many years. Now that I'm reinventing myself it's time I got my pedal mind going again. I'll have to get the other bike washed clean of shed dust and post some pics.
Last edited by DrShifty on Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LG

Postby LG » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:15 pm

DrShifty wrote:My own bike is a lightweight custom made tourer I had built in 1973. Very lean with good spec stuff for its day (Stronglight cranks, TA rings etc) and the metal tubing rings like a wineglass when I flick it with a fingernail. It feels almost alive to ride it. However, I've not ridden anything with less than 650cc of internal combustion assistance for many years. Now that I'm reinventing myself it's time I got my pedal mind going again. I'll have to get the other bike washed clean of shed dust and post some pics.
Yes please for pics and good luck getting luck with the re-invention of yourself!
LG = Low Gear

DrShifty

Postby DrShifty » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:31 pm

I took some pics, complete with dust and spiderwebs. Photobucket is not working for me at the moment so I'll have to wait to upload them. I think there is a general retro forum here somewhere so I'll post there and link to that when it's done.

tomalophicon

Postby tomalophicon » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:13 pm

Use imgur. It's miles better.

DrShifty

Postby DrShifty » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:50 pm

LG wrote:
DrShifty wrote:My own bike is a lightweight custom made tourer I had built in 1973. Very lean with good spec stuff for its day (Stronglight cranks, TA rings etc) and the metal tubing rings like a wineglass when I flick it with a fingernail. It feels almost alive to ride it. However, I've not ridden anything with less than 650cc of internal combustion assistance for many years. Now that I'm reinventing myself it's time I got my pedal mind going again. I'll have to get the other bike washed clean of shed dust and post some pics.
Yes please for pics and good luck getting luck with the re-invention of yourself!
I've put pics of the tourer here
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=530&p=1323075#p1323075" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DrShifty

Postby DrShifty » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:55 pm

I've replaced the original mixte pics with smaller versions. I was having too much trouble with Photobucket and resized them to 800 pixels wide. The pics in the previous post will disappear. Here are the new ones.

Rob74

Postby Rob74 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:32 pm

Welcome, DrShifty
Re: “How does the world look at these old bikes these days? Is it a keeper or worth nothing?”
- maybe $100 if not too rusty. But its a whole lot better bike than what Big W sells for that money.

If you are still interested in bikes, definitely regrease all the bearings and ride it.

I have a Pug Mixtie, fitted with 700c rims & 700 x 32 Maxis Detonator Tyres, its lots of fun to ride as a cruizer. The Mafic Racers work well with 700C rims & plenty of frame clearance, if you take off the Mudguards you can probably run 700 x 45 depending on tyre bag and rim width, (take the crud stopper out of the bottom of the fork though).

Looking at the Alf Overton, I’d say you will need a longer seat post for the Pug Mixtie, detail in post from me on Pg15 of PAS should help.

Rob

Hagar

Postby Hagar » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:35 pm

Here's my latest resto. before & after. a very sweet ride! Fresh Powdercoat and decals. Changed brake levers to CLBs to match the calipers and pedals to suit me, but otherwise original. Suntour Shifters and mechs.

alexhunter123711

Postby alexhunter123711 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:07 pm

Anyone know what a peugeot 200 series is worth? Came across one for sale but can't find any info on them, are they a decent bike?

alexhunter123711

Postby alexhunter123711 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:39 pm

Wondering if anyone could help me identify this bike, from another thread I think it may be an izoard, but hopefully I can find out and what year etc. using the barcode?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:59 am

For interest, I published an article on a new (modern era) Peugeot road bike on BNA.

A lot of the interest has come from the legacy of this brand which is reflected in this forum - and would like to extend my thanks to the participants in the Repco Appreciation Society for sharing their stories, in particular the details on the history of Peugeot bike imports into Australia.

Within the article / review, I used some photos from members here (acknowledging that each person owns the images). One of the effects of this may be a renewed interest in the collectables. Hope you enjoy.

Article: Peugeot Road Bike Renaissance – RSR01 Ultegra Di2 Peugeot Review

Cycling is in my BNA

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:28 pm

Cool, 2 of my pictures(top ones) are in there.

It is interesting to see that the new Peugeot frame weighs in at 909g with a 378g fork. The Peugeot Carbon Pro I had is 53cm square and the frame weighed in at 1300g with Columbus steel fork at 665g. This was Peugeot's 2nd carbon frame made only in 1989, and it was a very lightweight frame for the time.
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

alexhunter123711

Postby alexhunter123711 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:40 pm

Wondering if anyone could help me identify this bike, from another thread I think it may be an izoard, but hopefully I can find out and what year etc. using the barcode?

Rob74

Postby Rob74 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:19 am

Took the Mixte out for a fast cruise loop nominal 15km this morning......Mixtie runs the original swoopy flat bars, Mafic Racer Brakes, 700x32 Maxis Detonators with 80g tubes on rims & hubs from a bent frame Repco Victory Tria donor, 7Speed Shimano SIS & no mud guards so its not quite standard and it gets along quite nicely......Dressed in MTB shoes, white polo shirt, King Gee Baggies over bike shorts, MTB 1lt camel back...thats how it rolls...

....on the way came up behind a bunch of 15 or so MAMILOC's, siting on about 25km/hr obviously part of the Cafe Poser Set....rang bell said come round on your right.....

started going round them at 32km/Hr with a few "What's"....going past the leader of the group elicited a "Ohh you have to be gni#&$f kidding"...once in front held steady at 30km/Hr pulling away up a slight grade....considered mentioning that "Steel is real"....it was on a nice long straight for some 1.5km so they just watched me disappear & go round the bend at the end.

Steel is Real MAMILOC's, kind of wish I'd had the Jersey on......but very funny none the less.

Rob.

MAMILOC = Middle Aged Men in Lycra on Carbon

YearoftheCat

Postby YearoftheCat » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:46 pm

Rob74 wrote: I have a Pug Mixtie, fitted with 700c rims & 700 x 32 Maxis Detonator Tyres, its lots of fun to ride as a cruizer. The Mafic Racers work well with 700C rims & plenty of frame clearance, if you take off the Mudguards you can probably run 700 x 45 depending on tyre bag and rim width, (take the crud stopper out of the bottom of the fork though).

Rob
Here's my UO-8, currently running 700x35 tyres (actually measuring 37mm wide). Not sure how similar the clearances are on a Mixte, but my setup is tight at the chainstays, and there isn't much room under the seat stay bridge either. I think a tyre that measured 40mm would be about the limit, with or without guards because of the chainstays

On another note, how great are 70's Peugeots? I think if I had to get down to one bike this would be it, very comfortable, good for commuting and light touring too. I've built mine up with more modern gear and adapted modern road type brake pads onto the Mafacs so I can run nice pads (Koolstop Salmons). I don't know what it weighs, but it was about 14kgs in it's original form with steel rims, cranks, bars, guards, seatpost etc.

This photo is from a ride a few of us did from Castlemaine to Warrnambool via Daylesford, Ballarat and Camperdown, carrying tents, mats and sleeping bags.

Rob74

Postby Rob74 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:53 pm

Re YotC "Here's my UO-8"
Neat.

* What model are the front and rear racks? For the front low riders is there an adaptor fitted so mid fork bidons are not required? Have been looking at Blackburns, but very $Exy to freight to Australia.

Rob

YearoftheCat

Postby YearoftheCat » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:04 pm

The rear is a Topeak Super Tourist DX (non disc) that I blasted back to bare aluminium and the front is a Tubus Tara mounted to home made mid fork adaptors, like the Tubus ones.