duds2u

Re: Peugeot Appreciation Society

Postby duds2u » Tue May 29, 2012 4:39 pm

An for a little light reading on Peugeot history
http://cyclespeugeot.com/PDFs/1982UK.pdf

hitchhiker

Postby hitchhiker » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:02 pm

I've had this frame lying around for a while and decided to build it up with random parts that I had available. I'm planning to ride it for a bit with the 7 speed groupset and temporary bartape to see if I like the ride. If it goes well I might put on something more modern

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:39 pm

hitchhiker, that pug looks awesome! great job man!

Saro28

Postby Saro28 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:21 pm

forks are def' Pug but unsure if the rest is due to Puginexpeirence. I cant find any pics of Pug' showing lugs so I'm assuming it's the real deal along with Full Mavic with SSC hubs and tub' rims. I've changed the wheels to clinchers, also with Mavic hubs. Rides beautifully, I took this on the retro ride to Woolongong along LC Dve (8k on dirt/mud)
http://s1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb3 ... eoget1.jpg
Fight till the end n never give up. Cadel Evans 2012

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:23 pm

That looks really nice :) .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

macca33

Postby macca33 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:56 pm

I was asked to add my newly renovated 1989 Peugeot PE10DW Aubisque to this thread. Whillst nothing special, it will serve as a good fun bike.

The build thread is here:- http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 35#p884735" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:34 pm

Looks even better all built up :) .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

macca33

Postby macca33 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:33 am

ldrcycles wrote:Looks even better all built up :) .

Thanks very much mate. Had the maiden 20km voyage last night and whilst it is nowhere near as quick as my Norco, it wasn't too bad.

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

albertgaleano

Postby albertgaleano » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:47 pm

hi just picked up this peugeot black rock, don't know much about it, do you guys reckon it's worth doing up???

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:20 am

mos def! get it cleaned up and renewed! it'll look the bomb!

jbchybridrider

Postby jbchybridrider » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:40 am

^^ Yes they have a lot of cool factor about them 8) I've got the Hurricane model and love it.

drubie

Postby drubie » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:25 am

Is there an idiots guide to mapping aussie peugeot models to the overseas stuff? I nabbed a complete bike on the weekend I think is a u08 but it doesn't have fenders etc. Pretty neat bike boom bike otherwise. The pushrod simplex derailleur on the front is fascinating.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

drubie

Postby drubie » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:30 pm

drubie wrote:Is there an idiots guide to mapping aussie peugeot models to the overseas stuff? I nabbed a complete bike on the weekend I think is a u08 but it doesn't have fenders etc. Pretty neat bike boom bike otherwise. The pushrod simplex derailleur on the front is fascinating.
...and some pictures:
Mafac racer brakes, head badge / decal.

Simplex rear derailleur. Dropouts are forged Simplex items, front derailleur and downtube shifters are all Simplex. Brake levers are Mafac with intact "hood covers" rather than full hoods. No suicide levers either.

Paint and decals are in amazing condition. Not shown are a close-up of the Rigida steel rims on the Normandie hubs - hubs are lovely and smooth but those rims...ugh.

Oddly, the crankset and stem are SR items rather than french - the SR crankset is very "french influenced" with 3 bolts holding everything together rather than 5, but it's still Japanese. I'm guessing this bike is Australian in origin after reading through this thread? It seems very much like what was sold in the US as a U08 but I can't find anything with that "Mirage" script on the top tube (I thought that was a Motobecane model name!) The decals place it somewhere between 1974 and 1979 I think judging from the Peugeot websites.

It needs a clean and fresh brake cables and serviceable tyres but otherwise it's actually a nice little bike - the brazing and paintwork aren't fabulous but the chrome plating is good on the forks. It looks like a bike that has spent 40 years in somebodies shed.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding

pug/city

Postby pug/city » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:28 pm

Hey Drubie,
Not shown are a close-up of the Rigida steel rims on the Normandie hubs - hubs are lovely and smooth but those rims...ugh.
Those rims are the clue to the age, just near the valve is a date stamp, year and month of manufacture.
You are in the right range anyway.

Looks like it has had an easy life, the front brake blocks are near new.
Is that a Peugeot pump, if so nearly as rare as rocking horse!!!

From what I have identified, It would be a UO8 or similar. The higher end models do not have pump lugs.
It looks to be a fairly small frame, not a lot of head tube length.
Neil

drubie

Postby drubie » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:13 am

Hey Neil,

No, its not a big frame although it is quite long. The pump is a recent zefal so nothing special. I'll check those wheels for a date code and see what I can find. I'm curious to ride it even with the steel rims to check out the legendary ride quality!

edit: 1976? The rims are stamped (not very well) with what looks like a 76 in a little diamond, so I assume that's what it means.

pug/city

Postby pug/city » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:45 pm

That's it, number in the diamond.
I rode mine with the steel Rigida rims for many years, still have them here but the chrome is very poor after too many days near the beach and no cleaning.

Do test out the brakes with that patterned side wall, very effective wet or dry.

What range is on the rear freewheel?

MIne was specced as a tourer, had a 32-14 5 speed at back and 42-54 up front could just about climb a brick wall in low.
This was the late 70's when mountain bikes were yet to be invented.

Neil

drubie

Postby drubie » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:07 pm

pug/city wrote: MIne was specced as a tourer, had a 32-14 5 speed at back and 42-54 up front could just about climb a brick wall in low.
This was the late 70's when mountain bikes were yet to be invented.
I swapped the Rigida rims for a set of Araya / Joytech / Suntour freewheels jobs I had from a broken Apollo III - surprisingly the Rigida rims weren't much heavier (if at all) than the Araya. They do seem to weigh substantially less than the normal 27" steel wheels you come across.

I was rather shocked to find out that the reasonable looking brake pads were actually crumbly messes when I went for a ride and couldn't stop. I've never been much of a fan of centre pull brakes and these ones are no different - too much flex in the mechanism (could require some adjustment) but really kind of scary compared to modern brakes.

The bike itself is quite good, very odd sizing for something with such a short steerer tube - I felt quite comfortable even though I would normally ride a large sized bike. The saddle is a fake suede Selle Italia of some kind.

The original gearing is a 52-40 up front with a 14-21 "Atom" freewheel - "Alpine" gearing or whatever they used to call it. I think I will put the Rigida wheels back on it though, once I've cleaned off some of the surface rust.

DavidI

Postby DavidI » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:49 pm

Finally had an opportunity to get to the new scanner here at work, so without any further ado here's the 1988-89 Peugeot Cycles collection for Australia:
I bought a Ventoux in early 1989 from Edward St Cyclery in Brisbane, and still have it. Needs a bit of de-rusting and a squirt of paint but I'll never sell it.....

drubie

Postby drubie » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:28 pm

Cool catalogue, but their photographer was pants! Look at the bike placement and the road markings in some of those shots :smile::smile::smile:

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:55 am

thanks david, finally found the details to the chambord!!! Does anyone know if that was the first year Peugeot bought out the chambord to australia?

LG

Postby LG » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:00 pm

Thanks for posting the catalogue David. I have an all original alpine express MTB and now know where it fits into the peugeot lineup.
LG = Low Gear

elantra

Postby elantra » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:08 pm

DavidI wrote: ...................I bought a Ventoux in early 1989 from Edward St Cyclery in Brisbane, and still have it. Needs a bit of de-rusting and a squirt of paint but I'll never sell it.....
That was such a wonderful bike shop.
Strategically located in downtown brisbane CBD, you could drool and ogle at the classy bikes even when shop was not open, courtesy of a long glass wall along the length of the adjacent arcade.
Brisbane CBD is these days not as user-friendly as it was in those days (The Edward St Cyclery closed in 2000). :(
At one stage in the 1990's there were about 5 bike shops in the brisbane CBD, now i think there is only one remaining

As far as i know (correct me if necessary) Edward St Cyclery family business lives on as "Bikestyle Tours" -specializing in cycle-tourism.

clippit

Postby clippit » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:44 pm

hi guys,
I thought I'd post this here (so I did). This is from a recent cat 6 training ride I did. If you look closely you can see it says "peugeot" in tiny letters on one of the bikes. It's an "Izoard" which I believe is a French word meaning ???
NSFW upside down picture:
I bought it from here actually (hi) and now use it most days to get to and from work. I kind of expected that as a peugeot the wheels would fall off or it would have radiator trouble at some point but so far it's been fine.

LG

Postby LG » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:18 am

Izoard is the name of a mountain pass in the French Alps. Peugeots from this period were named after famous TDF climbs, Tourmalet, Aubisque, Izoard, etc

Is that the Mt Nelson signal station?
LG = Low Gear

clippit

Postby clippit » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:51 pm

maybe. (yes)

what's french for "yum" then?