Peugeot Appreciation Society

Ferrovelo

Re: Peugeot Appreciation Society

Postby Ferrovelo » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:31 pm

Lovely looking bike [emoji108]

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:48 pm

Any PEUGEOT collectors interested in this?
Its a vintage Peugeot FOLDING bike.
Appeared this morning 20/4 in the Salvation Army store in Ellen St Wollongong. At $250 I don't think it will be going anywhere in a hurry.
If you want it, give the store a ring and ask them to set it aside for you.

Rob74

Postby Rob74 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:49 am

N-O-S-derailleur-HURET-COURSE-COMPETITION-1946...This guy has some stuff.....

Classic Indicators

Rob

stevenaaus

Postby stevenaaus » Sat May 21, 2016 11:57 pm

That purple vintage Peugeot ... Photo please ? :)

Anyway - my oldie has to go. Probably rides better now than when new.
The front brake routing through the stem never worked well, and Altus
rapidfires are much improved over the original (LX?) rapidfires.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Peugeot-Moun ... 2250070728?

EDIT - sold already! I have a deposit on it.

Rob74

Postby Rob74 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:16 pm

"bike-boomers website, dedicated to pugs sold during the 1960s and 1970s.

information about Peugeots from this time period was scarce. The Peugeot AO8 and its UO8, UO18, UE8 and UE18 siblings were entry-level and low-end bicycles sold in the United States during the 1960s and 1970s, especially in the early 1970s during the peak of the bike-boom . These were commonly the first ten-speeds ridden by baby boomers. As vintage bicycles, they do not garner the same respect as does their prestigious PX10 cousin. Also, opinions about them range from good to bad. Furthermore, it seems that there are a lot of these bicycles still around; as well as interest and curiosity about them, after they have been discovered in basements, garages, sheds, attics and barns. Consequently, in 2010 I decided to build a website focusing on the 'lowly' Peugeot A- and U-series bicycles of the bike-boom era. The website has expanded to cover the 'lofty' PX10 and its siblings, as well as Peugeot bicycles built before and after the bike-boom.

The end of the "1974 Master Catalogue" has
Assembly Diagrams

8 March 1952 article on "Une Visite A Peugeot - Cycles."

Rob

Stuntman

Postby Stuntman » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:03 pm

Here's my just finished 1978 Mixte.

I picked this up from a lady in Canberra who had bought it 2nd hand in order to have second bike for visitors etc. It was in pretty good nick to start with most of the chrome showing little rust. It is mostly original with nice paint and decals, but a full rebuild was required to get it functional and safe.

Every nut, bolt and shiny bit of metal was polished and buffed up to a mirror finish much to my fingers annoyance. A little bit of beating out of dings in the guards and front light cowling was required, but worth it, polishing up really nice. The Rigida chromed rims were in excellent condition and I decided to rebuild the wheels using the original rims and Normandy hubs with stainless spokes. I had to straighten out a few dings and flat spots - they are not perfect but pretty good and look a treat. The mailard freewheel was in pretty good condition and is clicking away nicely after a service and relube. The original chain was in good nick but I replaced with a slightly narrower modern chain as it was annoyingly rubbing on the spoke protector.

The bars were replaced with velo-orange left banks - the originals had been bent and creased. Tektro brake levers replaced the plastic mafacs (that were cracked and at the end of their useful life). Koolstop insert pads replaced the hardened mafac ones. Velo orange grips suited the bike nicely. MKS pedals replaced the originals (bearings in both stuffed and one was bent beyond useful repair) and a centre stand, though not original suits the bike and shows it off nicely. Tyres are new panaracers (very nice tyres)

As with most of these Peugeot's the rear lens on the taillight was broken when I picked the bike up. After searching for a while I was lucky enough to find one in France. The period Aluminium Zefal pump and a Peugeot bell also came from France. The dyno still works fine as do the original bulbs in the taillight and headlight, lighting up when everything is engaged. The dyno slips on the tyre quite a bit - I'd like to get it working properly (just because) - but is really only there for looks rather than function.

No before or through restoration photos but I enjoyed the process, and is great to ride. Perfect for the upcoming Newcastle Tweed Ride.

Last edited by Stuntman on Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vivente Randoneur SHB, Focus Paralane, Giant Anyroad, Merida Big Nine, 1990 Miyata 414, 1978 Peugeot Mixte, Brumby Tandem,

uart

Postby uart » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:09 pm

Stuntman wrote:Here's my just finished 1978 Mixte.

:D

Rob74

Postby Rob74 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:06 pm

Not lugged but NOS & pretty

Rob

30ona

Postby 30ona » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:32 am

Can I get some guidance. Can anyone confirm the model and year of this bike? Also what is the best place to get parts for it?

I think it's a 1971 uo8 or px8. Serial number starts with 1 and its only a5 speed.

Forgot a pic Image

Stuntman

Postby Stuntman » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:16 am

30ona wrote:Can I get some guidance. Can anyone confirm the model and year of this bike? Also what is the best place to get parts for it?
There is likely a date code on one of the mafac brake arms (might have to dissemble to see if). There is a year code on the original rigida rims and mine also had a date code on the mailard freewheel. They should all closely match if all original.
Vivente Randoneur SHB, Focus Paralane, Giant Anyroad, Merida Big Nine, 1990 Miyata 414, 1978 Peugeot Mixte, Brumby Tandem,

30ona

Postby 30ona » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:13 am

I can't find any dates on the rims or flywheel. To much corrosion. I'll check the brakes.

ChrisP7

Postby ChrisP7 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:23 pm

240ZR wrote:I own this Peugeot. A very nice & very original piece that's hardly been riden. Got it from a much older guy that had it sitting in his living room next to his 1953 Triumph motocycle for God knows how long. It's the French version 501 Reynolds frame (circa '85 I was told), still has original Michelin tyres on French Rigida rims, Simplex drive & Wienmann brakes.

Hello I had this exact bike and I really want to rebuy it.are you willing to sell it?

OrmondRider

Re: Peugeot Appreciation Society Peugeot Performance 5000 vs Peugeot Ventoux

Postby OrmondRider » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:59 pm

Hello,
I have got a rather naïve question.
Which one is better?
A - Peugeot Performance 5000 Road Bike Reynolds 553 Steel Frame
B - Peugeot Ventoux Reynolds 501 Steel Frame
Thanks

hvolks

Postby hvolks » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:55 am

I have just purchased an UE18 Mixte for my Daughter, first foray into French bicycles, it is in nice condition, needs new tyres and probably brake pads and of course lots of polishing.
My question is re the Rims they are Steel rims ( dimpled ) in nice condition. On other bikes I have replace steel rims but these are seem light and are in good condition.
The brakes are MAFAC centre pull , do I need to swap them out or do they work well if cleaned and new pads ?
I have ridden a few old racers with steel rims and remember trying to stop in the Wet... not great, but they where not dimpled.

Also idea what make these Rims are ( Rigida ), they are on Normandy Hubs.
It also just a five speed with only a single up front and there is only one brazed on boss for a shifter, is that standard / common

talstails

Postby talstails » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:25 pm

Hi all.. can anyone please help me ID this Peugeot from this pic please? Thanks.

Graeme H

Postby Graeme H » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:17 pm

talstails wrote:Hi all.. can anyone please help me ID this Peugeot from this pic please? Thanks.
I don't know enough to give you an exact identification.
Forty years is plenty of opportunity for components to be changed, paint added, stickers lost etc, but taking the picture at face value:

The iconic decal scheme was common across the whole range, so that only gives an indication of age (mid 1970s).
I think the chain stays look relatively long, indicating a touring rather than race geometry, but I'm not confident about this because the head tube looks steep.
The more expensive models with Reynolds tubing (eg full 531 or main triangle of 501) and the lighter versions of Peugeot's own tubing would have had stickers identifying the tube spec that are not present here. The top frames had chromed rear forks.
Race bikes came with close ratio clusters, unlike the wide ratio set pictured. This bike also has a low-spec chainring.
The cheapest models had stem mounted shifters and cottered cranks.
The brake levers have bosses for secondary levers (but the levers are missing) and the brake block arrangement suggests locally sourced calipers.
Use of a spanner on the front axle suggests that they might be pretty ordinary wheels.

Conclusion: Probably a locally manufactured low to mid range steel "bike boom" bike of the 1970s. Pleasant to ride if in good condition but nothing special if you're wondering about price. Weight and serial number would give more info. The size looks like 58cm.

Earlier in this thread are links to catalogues etc that would help if you want to examine it more closely.

MoonGas

Postby MoonGas » Fri May 05, 2017 4:25 pm

Hey Guys
Been reading these forums for a couple of years, you've all been really helpful, even though I still find it all a bit overwhelming. Thought I'd share what I've been working with lately.

Peugeot R10, which from what I can gather is actually a U08 early 70's model? It's got those nice art deco lugs. This is my daily commuter, only work I've really put into it is new tires and bar tape. Image It's served me well for the last two years.

This is the project I'm currently working on, not sure the model, but it's the crappy carbolite frame, I think bottom tier early 70's also. Plan on turning this into a little beater bike, possibly single speed, undecided.Image

Graeme H

Postby Graeme H » Fri May 05, 2017 9:20 pm

Around 1987 that Carbolite one.

itpesaf

Postby itpesaf » Sat May 06, 2017 1:55 am

Below is my Peugeot carbolite premier I recently restored -

Before

After

koen

Postby koen » Mon May 08, 2017 7:57 pm

Finished a few nice pugs lately.
This Tourmalet came up beautifully with a very clean 600 gruppo

I also had a UO8 or similar frame but always liked the look of Thevenet's TdF bike in the 1975 poster . I have now made up two of these lookalikes using cheap frames, better cranks and yellow anodise look paint on parts. 700c wheels and 6 speed indexing gears. These simplex levers 'blended' with shimano index levers. Both bikes are wonderful to ride. I ride my blue pug more than my much more expensive bikes.

frog

Postby frog » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:24 am

Tourmalet looks sweet!

I need a Thevenet PY10 in my life I think.

frog

Postby frog » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:32 am

My Latest Pug

ImagePeugeot PS10 by tyro.chris, on Flickr

Micahel

Postby Micahel » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:43 pm

I have just come across a steel frame Peugeot labeled as DR10. I have looked on the net and have not found PR10 models but not DR10. It is also labeled as being built is Australia. Serial number was located on the left side drop out 004518. Any more help Identifying it would be great.

Love to be able to add a picture!

minhyy

Postby minhyy » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:20 pm

Micahel wrote:I have just come across a steel frame Peugeot labeled as DR10. I have looked on the net and have not found PR10 models but not DR10. It is also labeled as being built is Australia. Serial number was located on the left side drop out 004518. Any more help Identifying it would be great.

Love to be able to add a picture!
http://bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=49262
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

iridiumflare

Postby iridiumflare » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:35 pm

Hello All,

I am hoping that some of the enthusiasts who may still be active in this forum can point me in the right direction as to the year model of my Peugeot Cadet? I have tried google with not much luck. This one has an "Imported by Peugeot Cycles, Moorabbin" sticker on it on the base of the seat tube.

Thanks in advance.

Jace
Last edited by iridiumflare on Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.