Why do I do this to myself? Another Malvern Star

wombatoutofhell

Why do I do this to myself? Another Malvern Star

Postby wombatoutofhell » Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:29 pm

Hi all-some of you may remember about 8 months ago I picked up a Malvern Star SL Sport off my brothers rubbish heap and did a few quick repairs as a stop gap until I could afford something new. Here's the thread if anyones interested http://bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic ... highlight=
Last month I stripped that bike right down for a respray-just a tidy up. I bought the cheapest possible paint-and have found out why it's so cheap. Being a little disillusioned, I was having a look on Ebay and I came across this
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 0188422267
I remember as a 16/17 year old drooling over one of these in the LBS. I used to walk past the shop just to have a look. So when this came up, heart won over head and I bought myself another retro. Can't really go wrong for $56! As bonus, I think it's even the right size!
I haven't picked it up yet, but I'll post some pics when I do.
Now here's the point of the thread. My memory is bad so I dont remember much about the original specs. This has recently been fitted with a Shimano Tourney rear derailleur. I would prefer to keep it as original as possible-but I have no idea what was original equipment was. Does anyone remember, or maybe know where I can get the original specs? Thanks.

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:35 pm

It will pay to wait until you see it. Shimano made a Tourney rear derailleur for road bikes around that time - I think that there's one in my bits box.
It looks like it will come up well.
Litespeed Classic - 3Al/2.5V titanium tube set, Record 9-speed groupset, Open Corsa Evo CX
Alchemy Diablo - Columbus Zonal tubing, Ultegra 9-speed groupset, UltraGatorskins
Gitane Rocks T1 - U6 tubing, Deore/XT groupset, CrossMarks

jonbays

Postby jonbays » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:48 am

The shimano tourney are original on a Malvern Star of this vintage.

wombatoutofhell

Postby wombatoutofhell » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:14 pm

Thanks for that-I didn't realise that the tourney had been around that long. I assumed that since it was mentioned in the ad that it was new it wouldn't be the same as the original. I'm hoping to pick it up tomorrow-I'll post some pics then.

wombatoutofhell

Postby wombatoutofhell » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:18 pm

Ok-now I have the bike I can say more about it. Firstly, I have been unable to find any information at all on the internet. I might email Malvern Star and see if they have any info left from when they used to make their own bikes.
I was surprised by this thing. It's in pretty good nick. The bloke I bought it off is an enthusiast and has looked after it. Over the last couple of years it's had new bearings in the back wheel, the crank bearings replaced, the bar tape redone and a new rear derailleur. The tyres aren't terribly old and are Vittoria Zaffiro's (no idea if that's good or bad). The chain was replaced with the derailleur. Everything has been kept lubed and runs very smoothly. The wheels run fairly true.
There are chips and scratches in the paintwork-the worst being under the chain-see photo. the only other thing i can fault is the bottom bearing cap in the headset is just starting to lose it's chrome. I had to search hard to find that defect.
All I need to do to make this an everyday bike is tighten the wheel bearings a little. Thats it. I'll buy a cone spanner tomorrow!
The pedals are pretty ordinary-they work fine but are chrome coloured plastic in the middle. I have a new set with toe clips I bought for the other bike, so I'll use them. I'll probably replace the seat as well. I will keep the origonals just in case I want to return it to factory specs one day. If I ever find out what factory specs were.
I think I did OK for my $56 and a drive to Altona!
Thanks to Kid Carbine for loading the pics for me. I couldn't remember how to do it.
Last edited by wombatoutofhell on Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kid_Carbine

Postby Kid_Carbine » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:47 pm

This should save some clicking.

Carbine & SJH cycles, & Quicksilver BMX
Now that's AUSTRALIAN to the core.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:50 pm

Kid's shown us the pictures in the links in the previous post. Ain't he a good bloke, and we all thought he was this crusty old grump who sleeps cuddling a hundred year old Brooks :D

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

europa

Postby europa » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:52 pm

That's a lovely pickup Wombat. Well done. What's she like to ride?

Richard

Kid_Carbine

Postby Kid_Carbine » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:52 pm

I'm nice, ...... untill somebody opens a thread marked "Politics" :wink:
Have you been looking in my bedroom again? Actually it's two Brooks'. A pre 1937 B17 & my recently returned C1950 B37. Ohhhh, that lovely leather smell.

europa

Postby europa » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:06 am

The weird thing is, the Kid wants us to believe he was around when Mr Brooks first started making bike saddles ... but I've got it from a reliable source that he was a grumpy old bastard even then :shock:

Now, back to the Malvern Star :D

Richard

Kid_Carbine

Postby Kid_Carbine » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:26 am

wombatoutofhell wrote: I think I did OK for my $56 and a drive to Altona!
For a paltry $56 I think you did fantastic, & lets face it, what the hell does $56 buy these days, not even a tankfull of fuel in my little Datsun 1200. [but it's close]

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:33 am

Ooohh a Datto 1200, such delightfully chuckable machines... :)

*Wanders off down memory lane...*

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

wombatoutofhell

Postby wombatoutofhell » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:44 am

I used to drive a friends datto 1200 before he got his licence and wrote it off-what great little cars!
I've only ridden it around the block and it was great-gears all change smoothly, brakes work well, although I have to learn not to be so heavy handed with them. I haven't had a road bike with brakes that will lock the wheels before. The front brake squeals, but I'd say thats due to !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! on the rim-I'll clean it tonight. Maybe even some new brake blocks.
I haven't ridden a 700c bike, but this is probably the nicest 27 inch I've ridden. Might change the seat yet-we'll see how it goes.

531db

Postby 531db » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:48 am

Might be the camera telling lies, but that front derailleur looks as if it's mounted way too high on the seat tube.
And the ebay description of 'Shimano Takagi' cranks - aint no such animal. They will be Takagi, quite possibly with the strange bb axle taper (as late 1970's Takagi cranksets have) - don't junk the bb axle before confirming, you may never find another one to suit.

Kid_Carbine

Postby Kid_Carbine » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:51 pm

531db wrote:Might be the camera telling lies, but that front derailleur looks as if it's mounted way too high on the seat tube.
Yes, I thought so too. Fortunately, this is an easy fix.

jonbays

Postby jonbays » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:21 pm

Actually looking at the photos the rear derailleur has been replaced by a later model Shimano tournay unit.