Serial numbers for Hoffy Cycles

gbannerman

Serial numbers for Hoffy Cycles

Postby gbannerman » Sun May 15, 2011 1:56 pm

I've finally got around to photographing the Hoffy Cycles order book that Eric Hendren has lent me. Details include serial number, type of bike, customer's name and price paid. Starts ca. 1975 and covers serial numbers 1019 - 1532. Put it up on Flickr

Campy

Re: Serial numbers for Hoffy Cycles

Postby Campy » Tue May 05, 2015 9:46 pm

Any idea why the Hoffy I own would have no serial number - just the word HOFFY stamped on the underside of the bb? The bike has the first gen Dura-ace group set and seems to be mid 70's.

old steel Bikes

Postby old steel Bikes » Wed May 06, 2015 9:12 am

This is great work, we had a number of HOFFY frames in my family over the years and I have looked through these but can not find anything. Ours may have been built just before the first book. What would be great if people could post photos of their bike or frame with he page that belongs to that bike or frame. Even just some old photos of HOFFY bikes as they where great frames and the finish was something special.

Excellent Information

koen

Postby koen » Wed May 06, 2015 3:00 pm

Fantastic. :)
First page I looked I saw a name I recognised and the frame was full chrome and I thought " I remember that bike!"

I too remember mine had Hoffy on the BB but no number and was made 1977. Maybe the number was somewhere else. Steerer?

Lots of steel bikes

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Wed May 06, 2015 8:06 pm

Campy wrote:Any idea why the Hoffy I own would have no serial number - just the word HOFFY stamped on the underside of the bb? The bike has the first gen Dura-ace group set and seems to be mid 70's.
It Is most likely that the frames without serial numbers were imported frames. The ones with a serial number would have been made by either Bill Hoffman or Eric Hendren. That's my theory.

koen

Postby koen » Wed May 06, 2015 8:27 pm

Cash jobs the tax man didn't know about was what came to my devious mind :-)
I have looked through the list and seen many many familiar names but cant find either my road or track bike.

Ditch35

Postby Ditch35 » Fri May 08, 2015 5:22 am

The frames without numbers and just the word Hoffy, still built by Hoffy just not for a customer, they where built and then sold in the shop.
Gav will be doing a story soon on Hoffy #01, as it has been found and is being restored.

Lots of steel bikes

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Fri May 08, 2015 8:55 pm

Ditch35 wrote:The frames without numbers and just the word Hoffy, still built by Hoffy just not for a customer, they where built and then sold in the shop.
Pleased to hear that. Would have been disappointed if my theory was correct.

koen

Postby koen » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:17 pm

Ditch35 wrote:The frames without numbers and just the word Hoffy, still built by Hoffy just not for a customer, they where built and then sold in the shop.
Gav will be doing a story soon on Hoffy #01, as it has been found and is being restored.
Just wondering if there is a better explanation on lack of numbers?
I don't have my original frames now but I was measured and both were built for me and I don't remember serial numbers on them. I am refinishing a frame I picked up just now and it has no number either.

When I got my frames from Eric I seem to recall also getting little stickers with my name to put on the bike. Anyone else remember this? I just thought of it and might do the same on this bike I am just doing. I think the font was like an old english?

dayne

Postby dayne » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:12 am

Sometimes re paints were stamped hoffy with no serial no I believe.

morini

Postby morini » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:11 am

dayne wrote:Sometimes re paints were stamped hoffy with no serial no I believe.
Is that implying an alledged mythical "Europa" style repaint, a.k.a. appropriating "other brands as your own"?

koen

Postby koen » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:41 am

dayne wrote:Sometimes re paints were stamped hoffy with no serial no I believe.
Seems less likely? a framebuilder would appropriate someone elses frame.

Lots of steel bikes

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:21 pm

Ditch35 gave what looked like a definitive answer. Perhaps he got the explanation from the horse's mouth.

koen

Postby koen » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:28 pm

Lots of steel bikes wrote:Ditch35 gave what looked like a definitive answer. Perhaps he got the explanation from the horse's mouth.
Yeah, just that I don't remember a number on my bikes but it is a long time since I saw them. :-)

koen

Postby koen » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:28 pm

It is nice remembering. I was seventeen and saved up to buy my first race bike and waited impatiently to get the track frame built. I asked for it to be pink but Eric wouldn't paint it that colour! It ended up a purple kind of metallic pink and
I don't think I have ever owned anything I was as proud and pleased with as that bike!

morini

Postby morini » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:44 pm

Lots of steel bikes wrote:Ditch35 gave what looked like a definitive answer. Perhaps he got the explanation from the horse's mouth.
Lets hope so, this is the version I prefer.

dayne

Postby dayne » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:17 pm

I have seen plenty of non hoffy built bikes painted and decaled hoffy, I have even owned a couple.
One I know of is now owned by a Brisbane collector and features in a book.
It turned out to be a Tom Wallace special I believe.

koen

Postby koen » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:53 pm

Painting was common. I have a Clem Eagle bike , probably a Holdsworth or some such, which is a repaint. That is different to stamping the bb.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:53 am

Not all of the order books were saved, my order is not in any of the books as they went missing in all the kaos of cleaning out. :(

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Lots of steel bikes

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:16 pm

So is there a way of identifying a Hoffman built Hoffy versus a Hendren built Hoffy?

koen

Postby koen » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:22 am

Unfortunately not an original Hoffy paint job. I am impatiently halfway through this and the weather just won't clear so I can finish it off. I bought this frame off another forum member..forgot to take pictures of it as found with dull grey paint and barely the outline of a decal left on it. It has no serial just Hoffy under the BB. Looks mid to late seventies by lack of brake cable mounts and gear lever bosses.

I am a bit short of cash at the moment so made these plain vinyl cut decals pretty easily with the help of local signwriter.
I have some early DuraAce and 500 gear to put on it..hopefully bringing it to Pushies Galore.

Apologies for the poor picture quality off my cheap tablet.

utedeej

Postby utedeej » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:09 pm

Those decals look great Koen, nice job on that.

Classic colour too the old red and white. Is that silver paint on the frame lugs and gold on the fork lugs?

koen

Postby koen » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:30 pm

I have finished the forks. Silver ground all over with red wash and gold on lugs, except for white panels. Seeing as my spray booth is the back yard I have to wait for fine warm weather to finish the gold and clear coats. Killing me!

utedeej

Postby utedeej » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:44 pm

Try painting in Canberra in the winter when it gets down to minuses overnight and around 10 during the day :shock:

I've gone ahead and painted anyway, as i'm keen to finish off the old 24" speedwell frame i'm doing for my daughter.

elantra

Postby elantra » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:09 pm

utedeej wrote:Try painting in Canberra in the winter when it gets down to minuses overnight and around 10 during the day :shock:

I've gone ahead and painted anyway, as i'm keen to finish off the old 24" speedwell frame i'm doing for my daughter.
Contrary to popular belief it DOES get cold up here (Qld) in winter (sometimes) even if not as often as it used to.
This is a real video news story from 1984, it is not a christmas in July stunt. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkoH6XDaz1k