1975 Raleigh Flyer restoration project

vaeske

Re: 1975 Raleigh Flyer restoration project

Postby vaeske » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:02 pm

mark field wrote:cant wait to see the end result, no doubt you will be very satisfied when all done. :)
thanks mark!

1 more update I guess before I'll relaunch her onto the street. Unsure if I should use the old chain or not, its still pretty rusty. Any thoughts? I mean a new 10 speed chain will only be around $25 from the LBS, brakes and cabling for next week.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:10 pm

vaeske wrote: Okay, so I haven't made any progress yet with that freewheel, but:
- I have a spare Araya 27 X 1 1/4 wheel with a shimano 5 speed cassette spare so replacing a few spokes shouldn't be too hard. But then again putting on a jap part along with all the Huret doesn't make too much sense either. Why did Raleigh have to go to the Froggies for parts FFS! Damn the Frogs!
Forget trying to save/find a French freewheel go Shimano! The twisted cogs make old derailleurs change much better and who is going to look that close?
Cheers
Richard

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:14 pm

Wow, what a relief. After a month of dillydallying, I've finally put her together.

Cables went in last night, new oversized shifters were incorrectly installed so going to try again tonight, left my originals in the vinegar for too long so it started to take off the chrome bits too :( But overall its complete.

Took it for a test run and a few things need further work:

- gears keep skipping so will need to fix the shifters, tighten the cables and then start tinkering with the high and low adjuster screws afterwards.
- wheels definitely need truing, but shouldn't be too big of an issue.

Overall not unimpressed with my first rebuild job, after countless hours of youtubing and watching mechanics and asking everyone on here, throw on some bar tape and she'll be good as new.

pentlandexile

Postby pentlandexile » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:01 pm

What a great looking bike, and after all that hard work. Congratulations.
Long day's journey into alt-bars

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:36 pm

vaeske wrote:Wow, what a relief. After a month of dillydallying, I've finally put her together.
snip
Overall not unimpressed with my first rebuild job, after countless hours of youtubing and watching mechanics and asking everyone on here, throw on some bar tape and she'll be good as new.
Well I think that looks really good! Nice to see bicycles from this era getting he TLC they deserve :)
Cheers
Richard

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:21 pm

thanks guys, appreciate the kind words.

I owe it all to you guys i guess. Black bar tape should do it. i currently have the old dunlop gumwall slicks on them and they look just like this one. I'm quite pleased, i'll have to find a 70s outfit and do the same pose!

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:30 pm

trouser clips must've been extra heavy duty in them days to contain the flairs! :D
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

rebilda

Postby rebilda » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:43 pm

That is a WICKED shirt!
My Garage = Restored Paino - the "Fixie" - Giant Trance X2 - Azzurri Forza Pro Di2 - GT Avalanche 1 & 2

mark field

Postby mark field » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:53 pm

rebilda wrote:That is a WICKED shirt!
it suits the fancy pants with the pastel blue pockets. sadly if you went to an upmarket clothes shop today you could still get that whole bike riding outfit for $600.
steel is the real deal.

mark field

Postby mark field » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:56 pm

vaeske wrote:thanks guys, appreciate the kind words.

I owe it all to you guys i guess. Black bar tape should do it. i currently have the old dunlop gumwall slicks on them and they look just like this one. I'm quite pleased, i'll have to find a 70s outfit and do the same pose!

i tell you what, and i mean this with 100 percent strength of conviction- if you can come up with the same outfit and pose with it and post the pic, there's $50 bucks in it for you. :P
steel is the real deal.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:44 pm

Oh yeegads... I just noticed the button up fly. The 1970s were closer to the Dark Ages than I realised.
--

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:00 pm

i'm hitting the thrift stores this weekend :D but i gotta tell ya, i don't like my chances of finding blue pastel pockets! I'll try my best though :D

mark field

Postby mark field » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:53 am

you can do it, dont go forgetting that the slip on shoes are part of the outfit too. :wink: ching ching $$$$$
steel is the real deal.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:13 pm

mark field wrote:you can do it, dont go forgetting that the slip on shoes are part of the outfit too. :wink: ching ching $$$$$
I think most thrift stores have been for the most part already stripped bare of such "wonderfuly daggy" clothing. These clothes are now all languishing in hipster boutiques at grossly inflated prices. Unless vaeske stumbles upon a near equivalent forgotten warehouse full of NOS 70s Merckx or Colnago frames I don't think he's gonna get much change out of $50 collecting them anyway.... but far let it be for me to rain on the parade :)
--

mark field

Postby mark field » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:46 pm

this will no doubt end in tears......of laughter. and me greasing someones palm,its all in the name of cycling and good spirited fun. :wink:
steel is the real deal.

trouserlord

Postby trouserlord » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:38 pm

Maybe I'm blind or something, but what is that thing coming out of shirt-guy's armpit? Is it a pink manbag? Some sort of webbing? Or is he wearing a short pink plastic cape??

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:54 am

trouserlord wrote:

Maybe I'm blind or something, but what is that thing coming out of shirt-guy's armpit? Is it a pink manbag? Some sort of webbing? Or is he wearing a short pink plastic cape??
okay I don't know either, but maybe its apart of the background that the photographer forgot to take out...anyways, i've already got a big job of finding something that is simply impossible so don't make it harder that it already it!

Frankly to tell you the truth. Best I can do probably is to find something that is very very similar to what you see there. :?

but here is the actualy bike resto photos in case anyone was interested: :D

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:57 pm

trouserlord wrote:

I think its a graphic s artifact created when they scanned in the advert. I have seen other versions of this picture (and I am sad to say an original copy...) and it wasn't in those pictures.
Cheers
Richard

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:05 pm

The bloke with the Flyer model looks a smarmy git*. It's like he's saying to the other guy with the Rapide;

"Look mate.. let me show you how many ways my bike is better than yours. I mean.. mudguards!? Prssfffft! We'll get to fashion tips later."

* You don't know him do you Richard? ;)
--

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:09 pm

HappyHumber wrote:The bloke with the Flyer model looks a smarmy git*. It's like he's saying to the other guy with the Rapide;

"Look mate.. let me show you how many ways my bike is better than yours. I mean.. mudguards!? Prssfffft! We'll get to fashion tips later."

* You don't know him do you Richard? ;)
Nah, I would have been the other one needing the fashion tips back then (and now probably.... :) )
I can proudly say that for various reasons I got through the 70's without wearing really flared trousers, tho I did have a few loud shirts with wide collars :shock:
Cheers
Richard

LG

Postby LG » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:36 pm

I like what you've done with that bike, it's come up real nice! Can I suggest you put auto wax or something similar over the paint which will help inhibit new rust. Chain could do with some lube too :wink:

I know the shimano freewheels are much better, but if you're keen for maillard, I've a couple spare here.
LG = Low Gear

mark field

Postby mark field » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:12 pm

hippy bikie by markfield_32, on Flickr

Photoshop- makes bad things better :wink:
steel is the real deal.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:16 pm

Awesome.. I'm on a shirt! :D
--

mark field

Postby mark field » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:21 pm

HappyHumber wrote:Awesome.. I'm on a shirt! :D
i cant believe you picked up on that so quick!!! i thought you'd like that one. :lol:
steel is the real deal.

elStado

Postby elStado » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:21 pm

Haha awesome work there Mark.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA