Rupert Bates Track Bike

Vintage, yesteryear and retro biking

Re: Rupert Bates Track Bike

Postby RobertFrith » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:58 pm

mr stray wrote:The pin striping hadn't been finished in these photos. Still had a layer of clear to go over it

That pin striping is beautiful. We need to know who did it. Or whodunnit
RobertFrith

by BNA » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:20 pm

BNA

Postby tedsbikes » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:20 pm

Hi Rolf, Karen and all other "Bates" fans

I can't add any further info on the R headed Bates?? frame.

As a possible redherring maybe it was a Rolfe. Herb Rolfe had a shop in Carnegie in 40s, 50s and (maybe) 60s. He sold frames under his name but, as far as I know, didn't build them himself. Whether his frames had an R I can't say either. Are there any Rolfe frames still around?

Back to the Bates, or rather Rupe Bates himself. There was a full page article in the Melbourne Weekend Herald of Nov 16-17 1985 by Andrew Rule titled " 'Rupe' recalls the rides of his life". Very interesting. Would appreciate if someone could get this article uploaded. I don't have enough posts yet and I'm still working on my computer skills.

Thanks Ted
tedsbikes

Postby Gibaud » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:10 pm

pathodgens wrote:There seems to be a post with some confusion. Leo Bates was not Rupert Bates brother. He was his youngest son. He had another son Norm who worked in the Bates Cycles factory. Norm Bates dies a few years ago as did Rupert. How do I know..... I am Rupert's grand-daughter. I grew up on Bates bikes, cats and kittens from the factory and lots of memories.

Hi, This is my first post.
My father was a top Victorian and Australian rider, and Rupe made all his bikes, although under the umbrella of Malvern Star. The first bike was in 1923, and cost £18-5-0. My parents were close friends of Rita and Rupe, and I have many happy memories of them. My father's bikes - Malvern Star named - have been donated to the National Museum of Sport at the MCG, along with many Bates bikes, so the name will live on.
Rupe's shop/factory was in Queens Parade, Clifton Hill.
Gibaud

Postby scratchman » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:27 pm

Gibaud wrote:Rupe's shop/factory was in Queens Parade, Clifton Hill.

was it this one?
Phil
scratchman

Postby Claudiamavis » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:45 pm

If you're looking to restore your original Bates frame to it's original condition then Kenn Dickie is the man you're looking for. He did all of the line work (pin striping) on those frames from 1959 until the factory closed down. He's still working out of his garage in Melbourne and can be contacted through his son Glenn at [email protected] .
Claudiamavis

Postby Lobito64 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:48 pm

I have just become aware of the articles on this site, and I was surprised at the interest that my fathers frames have generated. If you require any further information in relation to Bates Cycles and the Bates family cycling history, you can contact me on this web site. Leo Bates at [email protected]
Lobito64

Previous

Return to Retro biking