Gemini Randonneur

Thoglette

Re: Gemini Randonneur

Postby Thoglette » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:59 pm

LG wrote:My gemini randonneur takes a 26.4mm seat post.
Thanks - remeasuring under better light (and better technique) says 26.0mm. Strange. Any others (mines a dark blue/black speckle 700C frame)
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

LG

Postby LG » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:23 pm

Mine's actually an old Gemini World Randonneur built with Tange 900 tubing. It had been built for 650B wheels, but as posted earlier is now running 26inch. I seem to have misplaced my "before" photos, but this is what it's like now

LG = Low Gear

singlespeedscott

Gemini Randonneur

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:14 am

I do like that. Why did you get rid of the 650's for? There's plenty if options out there these days for rims and tyres.

LG

Postby LG » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:33 am

singlespeedscott wrote:I do like that. Why did you get rid of the 650's for? There's plenty if options out there these days for rims and tyres.
Why? A couple of reasons:
1. And most of all - I'm a cheapscate - I had one old araya 650B single walled rim to go with it, no tyres. I had plenty of spare 26inch wheels and a couple sets of appropriate tyres. It was cheaper to change the canti mounts than buy new tyres & at least 1 rim.
2. The paint was shot and I was going to re-paint anyway, so re-brazing wasn't going to screw that up.
3. The clearance between the top of a 650B tyre and the fork crown was surprisingly tight and I want to add mudguards.
4. The canti's can always be melted off again and re-sited if I ever want to go back to 650B.

It handle's pretty well with 26inch, the tyres on it are 1.3's but I also have a set of 1.5 slicks which are substantially bigger and fit quite well. While I was at it I re-spaced the rear to 132mm from 126mm. That way I could slide in either a modern road or MTB hub pretty easily. Currently an 8 speed deore hub on the rear and it works pretty well with the friction bar end shifters. The derailleurs are 1st generation deore.
LG = Low Gear

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:59 pm

LG wrote:While I was at it I re-spaced the rear to 132mm from 126mm. That way I could slide in either a modern road or MTB hub pretty easily.
Interesting - mine is already 130mm (8/9/10).

LG

Postby LG » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:50 pm

These gemini bikes were sold over a considerable period of time. Going by the shifters, mines from the early 80s.
LG = Low Gear

austy37

Postby austy37 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:24 pm

He is mine on a Canberra fire road jaunt

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:58 pm

peachy wrote:quick update, ive done her up and she rides great :)

You can always get a taller stem. Nitto Technomic is quite a popular option amongst tourers and randonneurs.
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

peachy

Postby peachy » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:56 pm

hartleymartin wrote: You can always get a taller stem. Nitto Technomic is quite a popular option amongst tourers and randonneurs.

I sold her last year to an Irishman. Wish id kept it, its one of those regretfull sales.

Stuey

Postby Stuey » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:36 am

Yeah, he'll just drink lots of Guinness and crash it. :wink: :mrgreen:

xerlex

Postby xerlex » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:31 am

peachy wrote:quick update, ive done her up and she rides great :)

peachy, do you know what pedals those are?

peachy

Postby peachy » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:45 pm

Stuey wrote:Yeah, he'll just drink lots of Guinness and crash it. :wink: :mrgreen:
A bit like their economy lol :P
xerlex wrote: peachy, do you know what pedals those are?
I think Shimano made them, great pedals they were very comfy.

xerlex

Postby xerlex » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:57 pm

Cheers. I'll be keeping an eye out for a pair.

There is one of these guys on ebay right now (not mine). $100 BIN in Melbourne if anyone is chasing one.

Mccubbins

Postby Mccubbins » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:57 am

verbs and nouns wrote:Seen this bad boy?

More at http://www.fyxomatosis.com/index.php/18 ... stop-watch
This made me laugh! I have one in that colour as well as a blue one. I was at the local tip shop trying to find some parts for my malvern star fixt when this woman rocks up and asks me to move my car, in exchange for this service I was given these 2 gemini's and lights, seats, pedals, racks and pretty much everything else you would need to go touring. Turns out her and her partner bought them new and toured New Zealand with them! Was going to spend $20 on a wreck to salvage parts from and came away with these gems. I use the blue one for riding about town with the youngest and the brown one I'm going to fix up as a CX tourer... I'm going to have to change the paint, horrible!

Stuey

Postby Stuey » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:52 pm

I almost feel sick thinking about your good luck! Both look my size, too. :mrgreen:

Mccubbins

Postby Mccubbins » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:15 pm

Yeah couldn't believe my luck. Nor my wife who really, REALLY didn't want to believe my luck! they're both my size and have been well maintained.

I'm about ready to get underway with the rebuild on this one and may put some progress pics up if I feel like showing off.

BTW, bike handles like a gem, and I do most of my riding on the blue one like I said earlier with the youngest, one up.

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:37 pm

Mccubbins wrote:This made me laugh! I have one in that colour as well as a blue one. I was at the local tip shop trying to find some parts for my malvern star fixt when this woman rocks up and asks me to move my car, in exchange for this service I was given these 2 gemini's and lights, seats, pedals, racks and pretty much everything else you would need to go touring. Turns out her and her partner bought them new and toured New Zealand with them! Was going to spend $20 on a wreck to salvage parts from and came away with these gems. I use the blue one for riding about town with the youngest and the brown one I'm going to fix up as a CX tourer... I'm going to have to change the paint, horrible!
I'm having trouble believing that someone would give away two perfectly good touring bicycles to a stranger!
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:14 am

Thoglette wrote:
Thanks - remeasuring under better light (and better technique) says 26.0mm. Strange. Any others (mines a dark blue/black speckle 700C frame)
Hmm, found a 26mm post and there's a bit of space. I'm going to dig up a 26.4mm post and see

meganh

Postby meganh » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:46 pm

Hi all,

I have one of these that was offered to me for $100NZ on TradeMe - just couldn't resist it!! It's the dark blue/purple model and takes a 26.4mm seatpost. I've upgraded the drivetrain to 9speed Deore/XT for our hilly terrain here in the South Island. I will have to take a new photo, here it is as purchased.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

Does anyone know what kind of tubing these were made from?

Megan

peachy

Postby peachy » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:24 pm

Hi Megan. Mine was made from Tange Mangaloy 2001, although yours looks like a later model. Does that sticker on the top of the seat tube (where the front derraileur is attached) say anything about the tubing? Hope that helps.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:34 pm

Thoglette wrote:
Thoglette wrote:
Hmm, found a 26mm post and there's a bit of space. I'm going to dig up a 26.4mm post and see
Yup. 26mm plus two layers of 0.1 shim works. 26.4 it is. Technique obviously sucks (actually, I had to gently spread the clamp to get the whole concoction in. But 26 was badly wrong)

LG

Postby LG » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:14 pm

Thoglette wrote: (actually, I had to gently spread the clamp to get the whole concoction in)
That can be a bit of a trap when measuring a seat post dia, when a smaller size post has been used for a while the clamp can then become squeezed (been fooled by that before). It's the dia a bit further down the tube which really tells the story :wink:
meganh wrote:Hi all,

I have one of these that was offered to me for $100NZ on TradeMe - just couldn't resist it!! It's the dark blue/purple model and takes a 26.4mm seatpost. I've upgraded the drivetrain to 9speed Deore/XT for our hilly terrain here in the South Island. I will have to take a new photo, here it is as purchased.
<a class="vglnk" title="Link added by VigLink" href="https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... theater</a>

Does anyone know what kind of tubing these were made from?

Megan
Hi Megan, I've only seen 4 or 5 randonneurs/world randonneurs and they've all been Tange, either mangalloy 2001 or tange 900 tubing. Either way is pretty good quality butted steel.
LG = Low Gear

Thoglette

Re: Gemini Randonneur rebuild

Postby Thoglette » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:07 pm

Well, having made up some 27" wheels on a HG hub I came across some cheap 29ers (spare from someone's flat bar city bike being bent). Complete with 35mm tyres and a 7sp megarange freewheel. So they're on the frame.

Shimano 600 stem (thanks Zues) and cinelli drop bars with early nine speed ergos. That' should shift Shimano seven with a shimano derailleur (with hubub method). Found a medium reach derailleur with just enough reach - might have to keep the eyes out for something else.

I'm a little concerned that the CN HG50 chain I have might not be long enough (52/42t biopace and 30ish at the back, plus long chain stays).

Thoglette

Re: Gemini Randonneur rebuild

Postby Thoglette » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:03 pm

A quick shot - still working out what bit s will go where

drubie

Postby drubie » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:08 pm

Thoglette - the HG50 out of the box is fairly long - long enough for a 34 rear / 44 front on a loooooong mountain bike. I wouldn't be too hasty removing links though and the stingy shimano people only supply one joining pin, so if you're comfortable using a quick link then go that way.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.