1990 Ricardo Pinnacle. "Pic Heavy"

Vintage, yesteryear and retro biking

1990 Ricardo Pinnacle. "Pic Heavy"

Postby jbchybridrider » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:02 pm

Hi all, finally finished cleaning my Pinnacle and thought its worth putting up a pictorial for ricardo fans and get a record of this bike on the net to show without doubt the rarest and best ricardo ever made.
Never satisfied with my photography skills this will do for now. "Enjoy"
jbchybridrider

by BNA » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:27 pm

BNA

Re: 1990 Ricardo Pinnacle. "Pic Heavy"

Postby dv » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:27 pm

A very nice bike - and the pictures are fine too. It even looks to be a good size frame. I will have to give my elite a dusting off. I'll have to have a hunt around for some information on the pinnacle - it's the first I've seen.
dv

Postby jbchybridrider » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:34 am

dv wrote:A very nice bike - and the pictures are fine too. It even looks to be a good size frame. I will have to give my elite a dusting off. I'll have to have a hunt around for some information on the pinnacle - it's the first I've seen.

Thanks. Good luck finding any info on this bike I bought this from a fellow forum member that had a matching pair sold new together.
It seems this was ricardos last hurrah before closing up and was built for a very limited time it has a Reynolds 531c frame and fork also full Suntour Sprint groupo "surely very expensive when new" nobody I know thats into bikes has ever known about these.
I've spent many hours just sitting looking :lol: and pondering what was happening at ricardo when they built it, I think the name has meaning and wasnt randomly chosen.
jbchybridrider

Postby fatherofmany » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:42 pm

Very nice bike, nice shots too. Only on a bike forum can you say you've just finished cleaning your pinnacle and not be looked at with a wierd expression. :D
15 Bikes 2 adults 6 children, 2 dogs, 10 chooks and a heck of a lot of fish
fatherofmany

Location: Central Coast NSW Australia 33°26'16"S 151°20'39.50"E ish

Postby jbchybridrider » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:08 pm

fatherofmany wrote:Very nice bike, nice shots too. Only on a bike forum can you say you've just finished cleaning your pinnacle and not be looked at with a wierd expression. :D

Thanks and :oops:
jbchybridrider

Postby humanbeing » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:42 pm

Awesome bike.
I'm running Suntour Sprint hubs too and they're beautiful.
2012 Jim Bundy
1995 Bosevski - Athena
mid/late eighties Colnago Cromor
humanbeing

Postby bpmhigh » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:15 pm

Beautiful.

...and great choice with the black rims/amberwall tyres. Was that the original spec..?
bpmhigh

Postby Velo13 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:24 pm

Wow, I didn't know this model existed. Sprint is the "poor man's Superbe" and simply lovely stuff. Nice bike.
Velo13

Postby jbchybridrider » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:17 pm

bpmhigh wrote:Beautiful.

...and great choice with the black rims/amberwall tyres. Was that the original spec..?

Yes the black Araya tubular rims are standard and they still make them, there used on kerin racing bikes in japan.
The tyres are new old stock from the early ninety's standard was panaracer. I have the original SR seat post and Avocet seat which is intact but wouldnt be if I tried to use it, the turbo is the best visual match I could find and if the writing on it was yellow I could hardly tell the difference.
The first owner "I'm the third" changed the pedals to Shimano 600's original was SR track racing pedals. I only know this because Ricardoman put a scanned original brochure on the ricardo appreciation society thread.
So the bike is pretty original even the bell is in the same position and angle as first assembly.
Last edited by jbchybridrider on Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jbchybridrider

Postby jbchybridrider » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:35 pm

I think some groupset pic's are needed. The only parts I polished were the shift levers and pedals.
jbchybridrider

Postby fatherofmany » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:14 pm

Lots of Suntour info HERE
15 Bikes 2 adults 6 children, 2 dogs, 10 chooks and a heck of a lot of fish
fatherofmany

Location: Central Coast NSW Australia 33°26'16"S 151°20'39.50"E ish

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:36 am

Nice job, mate. It is fair to say that it certainly didn't look anywhere near that loved when it left my shed. Hope you enjoy it and get a lot of kilometres from it. The new seat and post look just the business.

It's sister bike has since been cleanded up. It is still awaiting a new seat post - probably a classic two bolt Nitto from Peter White - to replace the cracked original. The other fix was to replace the hardened grease inside the Sprint hub bearings which has reduced the resistance no end!!!
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle
silentbutdeadly

Postby jbchybridrider » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:10 pm

["silentbutdeadly"]

I'm happy you approve of it's current state and you sould be commended for saving the two Pinnacle's and bringing them to the forums or all knowlege of this models excistence would have been lost forever and how sad that would be.
The plan with this bike is to use it for community rides including "hopefully" the tour down under and the very occational sunny day ride along the coast and into the hills so in another 21 years from now it'll be in the same condition.
It's a shame about your seat post you didnt seem like that much of a weighty specimen when we met :lol: I guess its just one of those things that happen as long as the frame and fork are good thats the main thing. :D
jbchybridrider

Postby jbchybridrider » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:21 pm

"fatherofmany"

Good info, if anyone can add more knowlege to this bike it's welcome here and wouldnt it be good if someone who worked at Ricardo at the time knew something.
But its also interesting inventing theorys. Like where are the original founders of Ricardo now and have they got a shed full of NOS and a Pinnacle hanging on there wall at home. :lol:
jbchybridrider

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:45 pm

jbchybridrider wrote: where are the original founders of Ricardo now

It is my understanding that Mr Richardson, a Porsche owner, has not been with us for quite some time.
happy to be corrected.
Philip
ˈfiləp/ a movement made by bending the last joint of a finger against the thumb and suddenly releasing it
Clydesdale Scot

Return to Retro biking